have Asbestos in the Motor somewhere.
    I discovered Asbestos glued in or put in by
    sticky back tape or somehow on the
    backside of the cover to the wire terminations
    and it is kind of frayed up/worn or degrading
    in my opinion. I’ve had it off a couple times
    and only noticed it this last time.
    I just wanted to post this to make people
    aware that may not know, and to be cautious.
  • J Tiers
    • Jan 2004

Soak it with some shellac or varnish.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• hammernanvil
      • Nov 2016

You mean to remove it or Cover it permanently?

Comment

• J Tiers
        • Jan 2004

to stick it together and make it not let go of fibers. You could also take it out and replace with something like "fishpaper", or similar insulation.

Asbestos in a motor would be used typically because the unsulation class of the motor is a "hot" class that needs an inorganic insulation that heat will not affect. But I do not see the motor wiring compartment being a place that gets that hot, no real reason for that sort of insulation. Fishpaper should work fine.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
          • May 2006

Also makes you wonder about the brake system in older milling heads,,, not the greatest place to have asbestos particulates flying around above your head (and nose/lungs)

Comment

• polaraligned
            • Dec 2007

Hmmm. I have rebuild 3 of these heads and don't remember that.
            I was more concerned about the dust inside the head from the brake.

Comment

• doctor demo
              • Apr 2006

That's just great, now Bridgeports are going to be on the list of things known to cause cancer in California, or they will be banned altogether, or we will have to register them as harmful and pay to have them cleaned up by a licensed abatement contractor.

Steve

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                • May 2006

some of the machines are definitely old enough to contain asbestos in the brake shoes as it was used extensively.

FWIW, brake dust is not as bad as entire asbestos fibers in fact asbestos brake dust is missing one of the key ingredients that make typical asbestos so lethal - the fibers have a hook like structure which embed in lung tissue and cannot be expelled hence the cysts that grow to encase them then the cancers that can form from the cysts

"most" finely ground asbestos in the form of brake dust will simply be expelled by coughing, still not good practice to be around it if one can avoid it...

Comment

• J Tiers
                  • Jan 2004

The issue with asbestos is that your body will not dissolve it, so it stays there irritating your body. With glass fiber, fiberglass insulation, etc, your body apparently does dissolve it, so the problem goes away.

if you encapsulate the stuff, such as with varnish, etc, it does not lose fibers as loose asbestos cloth or fiberboard does. Of course you have to be "certified" to press the spray can button for that, so do not mistake the advice for a proper means of encapsulation within the meaning of the laws.

Could be worse, many houses and buildings around here have a material that looks exactly like white corrugated cardboard wrapped around heating pipes. Yep, it is asbestos-based paper, and yes the moon suits do have to take it out, unless it can be "stabilized".

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                    • May 2006

absolutely - it's basically an "inert" ingredient and "will not harm you" it's your body's response to it that is the eventual catalyst to disaster...

Comment

• TGTool
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      The issue with asbestos is that your body will not dissolve it, so it stays there irritating your body. With glass fiber, fiberglass insulation, etc, your body apparently does dissolve it, so the problem goes away.

if you encapsulate the stuff, such as with varnish, etc, it does not lose fibers as loose asbestos cloth or fiberboard does. Of course you have to be "certified" to press the spray can button for that, so do not mistake the advice for a proper means of encapsulation within the meaning of the laws.

Could be worse, many houses and buildings around here have a material that looks exactly like white corrugated cardboard wrapped around heating pipes. Yep, it is asbestos-based paper, and yes the moon suits do have to take it out, unless it can be "stabilized".
                      I was told by someone knowledgeable a number of years ago that there are two kinds of asbestos fiber, only one of which causes a problem. She said that the body will try to encapsulate particulates in the lungs that can't be expelled to essentially passivate them. One variety of asbestos fiber fractures crosswise and can be encapsulated. The other fractures longitudinally so keeps burrowing through the tissue leaving a trail of damage as the body tries to passivate it.

I'm not an expert, so I'm just passing on what was explained at that time.
                      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                        • May 2006

im not an expert either but I do not think either situation would be ideal as the encapsulated particulates may be stopped in their tracks but it requires a cyst like structure to do so, it's not just the fact that if you line the lungs with these structures it will greatly reduce your effective lung capacity - it's also that cysts are not "normal" tissue and have an increased factor for random mutations and random mutations drastically increase the risk of some of them forming into cancers...

Comment

• JoeLee
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by doctor demo View Post
                          That's just great, now Bridgeports are going to be on the list of things known to cause cancer in California, or they will be banned altogether, or we will have to register them as harmful and pay to have them cleaned up by a licensed abatement contractor.

Steve
                          Shhhhhhhh, don't spread the word.

JL..................

Comment

• J Tiers
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
                            I was told by someone knowledgeable a number of years ago that there are two kinds of asbestos fiber, only one of which causes a problem. She said that the body will try to encapsulate particulates in the lungs that can't be expelled to essentially passivate them. One variety of asbestos fiber fractures crosswise and can be encapsulated. The other fractures longitudinally so keeps burrowing through the tissue leaving a trail of damage as the body tries to passivate it.

I'm not an expert, so I'm just passing on what was explained at that time.
                            Apparently that is not absolute.... there "may be a bit less risk" with chrysotile compared to two other forms, but it still causes cancers. There seem to be 6 material types classified as "asbestos", and none of them are free of risks. I am no expert, but that is what I found out a while back when I was looking it up.

Comment

• CalM
                              • Sep 2013

When asbestos was "discovered" to cause cancer etc. (was that the same guy who made millions on global warming destroying the earth by 2010?)

The USA went to long fiber glass insulation. You know, rolls with or without craft paper backing.

Europe went with short glass fiber insulation. Hard "bats" or panels .

Guess what? Europe saw NO DECLINE in cancer related to exposure in those who regularly work with the material. The US did.

It's not the asbestos material as others have stated. It's the fiber!

So don't be breathing that stuff, but don't be worried about encapsulated asbestos.

Get your fact straight, then act accordingly.

A good read is the little book entitled "The Poisons Around Us" I can't recall the author.

If you live in the city, beware! If you live in the country, beware also.

Life is a fatal disease!
                              Last edited by CalM; 08-04-2018, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X