PDA

View Full Version : Buckley, MI tractpr/engine show

jdunmyer
08-15-2018, 04:18 PM
It's this weekend, starts Thursday the 16th,, ends Sunday the 19th. As usual, I'll be in the SW corner of the woodshop. Visit us after your train ride.

See you here!!

Buckley is one of the best such shows in the country. Our Snow engine will again be motoring on compressed air, hoping to run it on gas next year.

flylo
08-15-2018, 04:25 PM
The Flywheelers show At South Haven, Mi is the weekend after Labor Day & is a really good one also.

Glug
08-15-2018, 07:05 PM
The Traverse City Council left a message. They said they are a bunch of incredibly stupid idiots for selling you our train for $19. All so they could implement a secret plan to convert a building into a theatre for Michael Moore.

AD5MB
08-15-2018, 07:09 PM
Is the miniature city still at the zoo?

George Bulliss
08-16-2018, 07:36 AM
Is the miniature city still at the zoo?

No, that was removed long ago. Some of the museum items ended up at the old library, but I'm not sure what happened to the model city. Not a lot of nostalgia among the city council members.

TC pulled pretty much everything out of the waterfront area and now run an endless string of festivals there. They did build a splash pad there and, supposedly, they have even figured out the plumbing on it so it no longer sprays sewage on the kids.

Glug
08-16-2018, 08:54 AM
They did build a splash pad there and, supposedly, they have even figured out the plumbing on it so it no longer sprays sewage on the kids.

Yeah... They spent so much on that turd pad. They could have just setup some lawn sprinklers, with a push button timer to start the water for a few minutes. It is a $500K+ version of a hose and sprinkler, plus potential sewage. I hope by now they aren't paying someone to constantly monitor if sewage is coming out.

I can remember riding the train right before it closed. As we were pulling into the station there were a few boys and girls waiting. They were so excited they went weak in the knees - even the girls. It was funny to see their knees literally collapse.

The train operated right around the break-even point, with no promotion. A small sign visible from the road, with hours and an indication if the train was open, would have had a huge impact. The train was also a destination. People drove for hours specifically to take their kids on the train. The city wouldn't even store the train in one of their many empty warehouses, to give more time to find a new site. They wanted it GONE.

The train is in better hands now. But having it available every day for riding, in such a central location, was great.