PDA

View Full Version : OT- My New- To-Me Tiny House on Wheels!

flylo
08-27-2018, 08:03 AM
Winters here are very hard on me so I'm looking to escape to the SW to do long range precision shooting with mainly 308s, 6.5 CMs & 338 lapua Mags. I live 30-40 miles north of RV Central where most RVs are built & know the build quality, I'll pass. So I bought a Great Quality, No Rust, Low Miles Diesel Ambulance. Has a Horton Alum & SS body, tons of storage, a gun safe inside & one outside. All the graphics removed, new tires & batteries this year, rear air & heat, great lighting, wired for 120v & 12v. Large altenator. Drove it almost 200 miles home at 75mph on cruise with no noises or problems, leaks, & seemed good on fuel. Going to add a solar system(cheap these days), awning, microwave, toater oven, small fridge, cooktop & a sofabed. If I get tired just pull in somewhere & take a nap. Just need to name the new addition to my family, any serious ideas appreciated. When I was young & raced MX my '66 Chevy van said "Born to me Wild" Guess I could change Wild to Mild but want sont something new. Watched a show on Tiny Houses where some poor soul ran thru his $50k inheratence from his dad whom he hated & still didn't finish a Piece-O-Crap 8'x12' on a cheap sng axle trailer. Couldn't be happier!:cool: :o :cool:

Arcane
08-27-2018, 08:27 AM
At one time they used to call big cars "land yachts"...maybe, considering what you are going to use it for and will be hauling, you could call your new acquisition "The Gunboat"?

A.K. Boomer
08-27-2018, 08:37 AM
kinda freaky sounding - wonder how many people have "crossed over" in that thing and what kind of nightmares your about to have trying to sleep in it...

if i got a house on wheels it would have a turbo diesel in it though that's for sure... only way to go...

vpt
08-27-2018, 08:59 AM
Sounds like something that would make the news.

plastikosmd
08-27-2018, 09:45 AM
Sounds like a dream
Adding something like a motorcycle or tow a car so u don’t have to pack up your home each time you need to hit the store etc?

tomato coupe
08-27-2018, 09:46 AM
Has a Horton Alum & SS body, tons of storage, a gun safe inside & one outside.

Ambulances have gun safes?

J Tiers
08-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Sounds like something that would make the news.

Makes more sense than the goofy rich fellow back in the 1970s or so who converted a tanker trailer into an amphibious RV and planned to sail it around the world. Always wondered how long it took him to figure out that was a bad idea, and whether he and the wife got out before it sank (if it did).

At one time they used to call big cars "land yachts"..........

At the in-laws, a visiting friend of theirs had an RV, a fairly large one with a roll-out section. It was actually CALLED "land yacht" by the manufacturer, that name was painted right on it as the name of the version. Their friend had no house, just traveled around in the "yacht". (no idea how she handled "residency" and driver license with no "fixed address")

"Gunboat" is a good one. Even better if it were a retired Brinks truck.

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-27-2018, 09:51 AM
"Lumberjack" ? :o

MikeL46
08-27-2018, 09:53 AM
Got our first 'tiny house' 20 years ago. Here is a website dedicated to vans and Sportsmobile van conversions. There is a wealth of information
about systems for small living spaces.

www.sportsmobileforum.com

Enjoy the freedom of a small RV - able park almost anywhere, toilet when and where you want it, ability to go on small roads, etc.

Mike

A.K. Boomer
08-27-2018, 09:57 AM
Im still thinking the second he falls asleep in that thing he's going to be hearing voices yelling out "give me so many CC's of such and such" and all kinds of screaming and yelling and total trauma, then that old familiar flat line beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep followed by "were losing him - were losing him" - then he will wake up in a cold sweat choking on his own tongue...

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-27-2018, 10:00 AM
Im still thinking the second he falls asleep in that thing he's going to be hearing voices yelling out "give me so many CC's of such and such" and all kinds of screaming and yelling and total trauma, then that old familiar flat line beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep followed by "were losing him - were losing him" - then he will wake up in a cold sweat choking on his own tongue...

I bet you sleep with the light on at night, don't you? :)

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-27-2018, 10:03 AM
Flylo, from a good friend to another, this is a bad idea. You're really going to want a bathroom with a shower, toilet, sink, kitchen, and a damn nice comfortable bed as a minimum. Get yourself an RV instead. Seriously.

A.K. Boomer
08-27-2018, 10:08 AM
I bet you sleep with the light on at night, don't you? :)

Nope not into making rookie mistakes, nothing like showing the boogie man right where your at dude...

TGTool
08-27-2018, 10:09 AM
Since you're actually planning on sleeping in it, it might be renamed "The Sombulance"

J Tiers
08-27-2018, 10:12 AM
Flylo, from a good friend to another, this is a bad idea. You're really going to want a bathroom with a shower, toilet, sink, kitchen, and a damn nice comfortable bed as a minimum. Get yourself an RV instead. Seriously.

No s***. With the statement "I've seen the build quality" concerning RVs, I really doubt whether the ambulance is going to provide a reasonable "comfort quotient", at least not without a LOT of effort put into it up front.

As for the spooks, no issue there, the ambulance moves, and aren't spooks supposed to be tied to the specific location? More likely to need to give it a really good cleaning.... to get rid of the various diseases the "temporary residents" may have had.... Anything from ordinary issues through cholera to maybe even plague or Ebola.

bborr01
08-27-2018, 10:15 AM
Makes more sense than the goofy rich fellow back in the 1970s or so who converted a tanker trailer into an amphibious RV and planned to sail it around the world. Always wondered how long it took him to figure out that was a bad idea, and whether he and the wife got out before it sank (if it did).

At the in-laws, a visiting friend of theirs had an RV, a fairly large one with a roll-out section. It was actually CALLED "land yacht" by the manufacturer, that name was painted right on it as the name of the version. Their friend had no house, just traveled around in the "yacht". (no idea how she handled "residency" and driver license with no "fixed address")

"Gunboat" is a good one. Even better if it were a retired Brinks truck.

Airstream makes a motor home that is called the land yacht.

dalee100
08-27-2018, 10:17 AM
kinda freaky sounding - wonder how many people have "crossed over" in that thing and what kind of nightmares your about to have trying to sleep in it...

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY dies in the rig. If you are already dead, you never get a ride. We don't haul dead people as a rule. Only once in over 20 years for riding in a bus, have I loaded dead. There was a lack of transportation that night. If I think you are still have a chance, you get to ride. I might have to do your breathing for you and I might need to make your heart pump - but you ain't dead. You might be when you get to the hospital, but not in the ambulance.

Winters here are very hard on me so I'm looking to escape to the SW to do long range precision shooting with mainly 308s, 6.5 CMs & 338 lapua Mags. I live 30-40 miles north of RV Central where most RVs are built & know the build quality, I'll pass. So I bought a Great Quality, No Rust, Low Miles Diesel Ambulance. Has a Horton Alum & SS body, tons of storage, a gun safe inside & one outside. All the graphics removed, new tires & batteries this year, rear air & heat, great lighting, wired for 120v & 12v. Large altenator. Drove it almost 200 miles home at 75mph on cruise with no noises or problems, leaks, & seemed good on fuel. Going to add a solar system(cheap these days), awning, microwave, toater oven, small fridge, cooktop & a sofabed. If I get tired just pull in somewhere & take a nap. Just need to name the new addition to my family, any serious ideas appreciated. When I was young & raced MX my '66 Chevy van said "Born to me Wild" Guess I could change Wild to Mild but want sont something new. Watched a show on Tiny Houses where some poor soul ran thru his $50k inheratence from his dad whom he hated & still didn't finish a Piece-O-Crap 8'x12' on a cheap sng axle trailer. Couldn't be happier!:cool: :o :cool:

What year chassis? I assume it's a Ford 1 ton van, about 10 years old?. Which diesel engine? Low mileage means little on these rigs. They either go from cold to flat out as quick as you can start them and hit the floor with the throttle, or they idle for hours at a time. Transmissions also take an ungodly beating due to the way they get driven. There are real reasons used ambulances are either worth so little or are totally worthless.

loose nut
08-27-2018, 10:19 AM
Real men just suck it up and stick out the winter.:D

browne92
08-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Several years ago, I bought an old used Roadtrek. If you didn't know any better, you'd think it was a van, but it's a full RV with shower, toilet, bed, generator, etc. When I got it registered, the handed me the license plate, which says "Private Bus" on it. "Seriously?" Yup, that's what RV's in Louisiana are called regardless of size. So it is known as The Bus.

I kinda have to agree with 3 Phase. I'm not sure you realize just how much work you're getting yourself into. I've seen nothing cheap about solar, but even if the panels were, all the equipment it takes to get it to the voltages needed to run all the other stuff isn't. And you haven't mentioned plumbing, but if there is or is ever going to be a female involved, it had better have a bathroom.

Lastly, the RVIA provides the "building codes" for RV construction. I don't know how widely it is enforced, but some RV parks won't let you in without RVIA's emblem on the side of the RV.

Best of luck.

A.K. Boomer
08-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Airstream makes a motor home that is called the land yacht.

I owe my nickname to a fictitious character named Boomer in a Tom Robbins novel, i think it was called "skinny legs and all"

anyhoe, Boomer was a welder/fabricator who got the idea one day to weld two massive aluminum drumsticks on each side of an old short version airstream, looked just like a plump turkey, the drumsticks were actually functional for storage, while out and about with it one day some rich guy seen it and just had to have it, offered either 1/4 or half Mil and Boomer took it like candy from a baby... kinda through a rift into his relationship with his girlfriend though who was going through all the proper artzie fartzie channels to become someone and get recognized and here her hillbilly boyfriend is all the sudden on the cover of prestigious art magazines and such lol gotta luv TR lol

bborr01
08-27-2018, 10:29 AM
My wife and I have been avid RV'ers for over 20 years. I have towed fifth wheels tens of thousands of miles and we have spent many months at a time living in them many times.

I do have to agree with Flylo about the quality of most of them. If you are only towing them a hundred miles or so they are OK but when we tow ours from Michigan to Arizona I can plan on doing some sort of repair almost every time. Usually nothing major but things like a loose piece of trim. One time we returned from Arizona and the range hood was hanging by two screws. Some bonehead at the factory had over tightened the screws and mostly stripped them out and just left them like that.

Also have to agree with 3 phase about having things like a toilet, shower, refrigerator and other creature comforts.

I am on a full time RV'ers site on facebook and one member has a used U-Haul truck that he bought for something short of $4K and turned it into a motor home. Rock solid rig with a diesel engine. He put a small wood burner in it and a lot of other creature comforts. It's a nice economical rig. Him and his wife live in it full time and never ever pay for camp sites.

The ambulance will probably be OK if you are planning on staying at motels/hotels and just want the convenience of being able to take a nap but for full time living I wouldn't recommend it.

Brian

boslab
08-27-2018, 11:19 AM
Easy in Britain, just bolt wheels on the average “affordable” home, they can’t make them smaller, you won’t get through the doors.
Mark

chipmaker4130
08-27-2018, 11:24 AM
. . .Just need to name the new addition. . .

Rangefinder
Zeroed-in
Reticle
Windage
Rapid-fire
Bullseye
Cocked & Locked
Condition One

Got to be a hundred more...

A.K. Boomer
08-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Windage is what you will be praying for when you fart in that thing... they should be called "stinky little places on wheels"

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-27-2018, 11:34 AM
Un-Grouped
Hole in foot
Fish-n-Barrel Master
I-Shheez-Me-Draurs
I-Caunt-Takea-Leaky
U-Smelz-Ma-Caming

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-27-2018, 11:39 AM
Skid-Marksman

danlb
08-27-2018, 11:43 AM
Hot shot?
Hot load?
Range to Ranger.

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-27-2018, 11:51 AM
You don't want to be envious of this guy

https://www.jokejive.com/images/jokejive/8d/8d5d14be50f4b6fa61b4aa94371aa709.jpeg

Rich Carlstedt
08-27-2018, 12:06 PM
.............................. I live 30-40 miles north of RV Central where most RVs are built & know the build quality, I'll pass........................l:
When we decided to buy a RV 20 years ago, we did two things that I now highly recommend. We rented (yes spent $$$$) a RV for 2 weeks to see what we liked and didn't like Boy was that a great insight. Then we spent 3 days in the RV capital that FlyLo mentions and toured every motorhome builder in the area. What a eye opener that was. We decided on a unit and bought it and 19 years later, and 110,000 miles later we still have all the original equipment and the only "road issues " were tire failures ( Can you believe a tire installer put in Chinese valve stems and they "Blew" right out of the rims when I was 500 miles down the road !- The moral to the story fellows is do your homework.
So FlyLo I understand your concern !
We travel and do not have a "Cabin up North" as most of our friends do here in Wisconsin.
We call our Motorhome... our COW....That means Cabin On Wheels.

Rich

PS
We had Steel Stems put in after that fiasco . Rebalanced the wheels too!

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-27-2018, 12:10 PM
COW... Coffin On Wheels would be a good name for the Ambulance RV.

sid pileski
08-27-2018, 12:16 PM

That guy was Rick Doberton (sp??). I've met and talked with him a couple of times. He's from around me. While that particular adventure did not work out for him, He is a hell of a designer/builder.
Google his name and check out some of his other vehicles.

Sid

Bob La Londe
08-27-2018, 12:22 PM

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adair-Shooting-Range/145105088888145?fref=tag

Nice no fees public range in the SW. The long range I think is only 600 or 800 meters, but its free. Tends to be a little busy in the winter time with snowbirds, but I can usually shoot in peace if I go early in the morning on a weekday. I tend to shoot at the small bore range that has a mountain back stop at around 135 yards depending on which lane.

MattiJ
08-27-2018, 12:25 PM
http://www.dobbertinhydrocar.com/Rick%20Dobbertin%20Bio.htm
Pretty cool

kendall
08-27-2018, 01:03 PM
Usability depends on how many people are in it on a regular basis. Can be made very comfortable with 1 or 2, easily doable with 3-4 as long as they don't need to take 10,000 things with them!
I'll agree with the toilet, but showers wouldn't have to be a built in , every real truck stop I've ever seen has showers so when on the road it's no problem. For use on site, make or buy something like an ice shanty you can set up outside, or fold up system for inside. When I lived on my boat, the shower was a tent in the cockpit with a shower head and a foot switch for an RV demand pump. Plenty of options for toilets, from real flush types to portables or the misnamed 'composting' types. Should be plenty of room for a holding tank, Most places don't have trouble with grey water from sink or shower, but black water will get you in trouble.

Currently building a mini house myself. Had a coachman 21 ft travel trailer, found a soft spot on the floor and when I went to repair it I discovered that pretty much everything was rotted. Two 3500lb drop axles, thought of turning it into a hauler, but already have two utility trailers so went with the mini house. While tearing it down, I really wondered how it managed to survive any road trips without falling apart. So far I have $750 in materials shell only, no insulation or interior wall boards up, but with stove/fridge/sink/toilet, it weighs in at 2800lbs. Can't understand how so many of them are listed at $40,000+ and weighing in at 6 to 10 thousand pounds.

Bob La Londe
08-27-2018, 01:40 PM
Usability depends on how many people are in it on a regular basis. Can be made very comfortable with 1 or 2, easily doable with 3-4 as long as they don't need to take 10,000 things with them!
I'll agree with the toilet, but showers wouldn't have to be a built in , every real truck stop I've ever seen has showers so when on the road it's no problem. For use on site, make or buy something like an ice shanty you can set up outside, or fold up system for inside. When I lived on my boat, the shower was a tent in the cockpit with a shower head and a foot switch for an RV demand pump. Plenty of options for toilets, from real flush types to portables or the misnamed 'composting' types. Should be plenty of room for a holding tank, Most places don't have trouble with grey water from sink or shower, but black water will get you in trouble.

Currently building a mini house myself. Had a coachman 21 ft travel trailer, found a soft spot on the floor and when I went to repair it I discovered that pretty much everything was rotted. Two 3500lb drop axles, thought of turning it into a hauler, but already have two utility trailers so went with the mini house. While tearing it down, I really wondered how it managed to survive any road trips without falling apart. So far I have $750 in materials shell only, no insulation or interior wall boards up, but with stove/fridge/sink/toilet, it weighs in at 2800lbs. Can't understand how so many of them are listed at $40,000+ and weighing in at 6 to 10 thousand pounds.

We rebuilt a travel trailer from the frame up when I was a kid. One thing we did was put 2 inches of regular white styrofoam in the walls, ceiling, and inches in the floor. It worked an order of magnitude better than the stingy layer of fiberglass most come with. In the desert body heat will almost (almost) keep it warm in the winter, and the air conditioner will freeze you out if you forget to turn it off in the summer time. The trailer is a little worse for the wear now, but I still have it out back of my shop. I remember when my mom hit the steps with the truck and smashed them nearly off when I was a kid. Every piece of metals was bent. My dad was pissed. I took them off and straightened it one piece at a time with a hammer and bolted it back together. It still has those same pull out steps. Las time I looked at them they didn't seem as bad as I remember. Either that or I did better hammer work than I remember. LOL.

Anyway, I am sure others will have their opinions, but we were pretty impressed with the effectiveness of 2 inches of Styrofoam.

flylo
08-27-2018, 02:22 PM
I'm not afraid of ghosts or dead people. Mine came from the Harper Woods, Mi fire dept & for me is layed out perfect with one full length O2 door outside behind the driver & all the other shorage & another locker/safe like the O2 inside & tones of storage inside. Egress to the 8'x12' box is between the seats, an outside door on the right behind the passenger seat & the barn doors in the back. Ordered new keys for the back just now. New solar panels are 50 cents a watt in South Bend, probably do 4 250 watt panels. I have several inverters & 6 new 6v deep cycle batteries. I doubt I'll put a bathroon on & plan on a 4'x4' tent style enclosure for showers & a fold up potty. A black water tank on the roof for hot showers & dishes that I can fill from the ground. I plan to tow the 4 wheeler & Powered Parachute with a can't jacknife deckover trailer with 2 large caster wheels just fits in a regular reese type hitch. Look around You Tube & people are traveling in mini vans & things much smaller.
It's Horton made in Ohio & is a '93 with the last full year for a 7.3L IDI engine which I thought was negitive but don't after reading about the powerstroke issues & checking the parts prices between the 2. Now I'm glad it has it. Has the serpentine belt & has plenty of power, no excess smoke, no blowby at all, body is rust free but firemen take great care of there equipment in most cases. I'll have all the fluids changed as well as belts, hoses, etc. I don't think I could beat the unit or the deal. At $250,000 to replace it I'm a very happy man with a very awesome traveling van that's easy to drive & park & the very finest build quality. Laugh, make funny pictures it's all OK. I may be cheap but I do want the best made, I just don't pay much for it & love the Thrill of the Hunt! Below are some related You Tubes

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/11/28/converting-an-ambulance-into-the-ultimate-adventure-vehicle/
https://www.outsideonline.com/2124996/inside-converted-ambulance-overland-expo-east-2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHg2I7W8eY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B91j98Ulr04 Here's on witha shower/toilet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQty8ZJxgA4 Interior is painted too darkfor me

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-27-2018, 02:50 PM
I may be cheap but I do want the best made, I just don't pay much for it

And we absolutely love your irony. That's why we're all concerned that you're probably going to be making a one way trip in that thing.

flylo
08-27-2018, 02:54 PM
Who's we? Please list yourself if you're with 3 watt Dimbulb on this.

kendall
08-27-2018, 03:12 PM
We rebuilt a travel trailer from the frame up when I was a kid. One thing we did was put 2 inches of regular white styrofoam in the walls, ceiling, and inches in the floor. It worked an order of magnitude better than the stingy layer of fiberglass most come with. In the desert body heat will almost (almost) keep it warm in the winter, and the air conditioner will freeze you out if you forget to turn it off in the summer time. The trailer is a little worse for the wear now, but I still have it out back of my shop. I remember when my mom hit the steps with the truck and smashed them nearly off when I was a kid. Every piece of metals was bent. My dad was pissed. I took them off and straightened it one piece at a time with a hammer and bolted it back together. It still has those same pull out steps. Las time I looked at them they didn't seem as bad as I remember. Either that or I did better hammer work than I remember. LOL.

Anyway, I am sure others will have their opinions, but we were pretty impressed with the effectiveness of 2 inches of Styrofoam.

Oh I plan on insulating it heavily, just haven't decided on a layout yet so holding off on finishing the interior till then. My original layout I planned didn't work as well as I though it would after I mocked it up, so have to move a window or two.

PStechPaul
08-27-2018, 03:50 PM
Here's a really nice tiny house, with quite a few cool ideas to make good use of space.

http://www.ana-white.com/tiny

http://www.ana-white.com/sites/default/files/ana%20white%20tiny%20house%20open02.jpg

Or, look at the Tesla electric RV:

https://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/images/tesla_rv_ev_camcper_1200x900.jpg

Here's an idea for a name: "ECNALUBMA". :rolleyes:

flylo
08-27-2018, 04:02 PM
Don't use the white, use blue Dow or pink Formular. Better yet use the ISO that has a skin of paper, foil or vinyl on both sides. The blue or pink is 5.0R per inch, the ISO is 7.2 R per inch, the white cheap bead bd is about 3.5 per inch.

J Tiers
08-27-2018, 04:08 PM
That guy was Rick Doberton (sp??). I've met and talked with him a couple of times. He's from around me. While that particular adventure did not work out for him, He is a hell of a designer/builder.
Google his name and check out some of his other vehicles.

Sid

The one I recall was considerably earlier than that, as I recall, and was somewhat different in appearance, although it seems odd that two similar "vehicles" would be made..... As I recall it was in the 1970s, possibly 1980s. I saw it in a magazine, and I may still have that magazine, although I'd bet I could not find it.

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-27-2018, 05:35 PM
Winters here are very hard on me so I'm looking to escape to the SW to do long range precision shooting with mainly 308s, 6.5 CMs & 338 lapua Mags. :o

So if living in a tiny 1993 Ambulance will be better, what do you live in now?

flylo
08-27-2018, 07:49 PM
3watt,
A 4800 sf 10 bedroom or 8 bedroom & 2 offices with 5 baths, with a 64'x84' hanger with a path down the middle, an overflow building of things I had to have but don't use anymore if ever, 2 runways, a shooting range on a 40 acre rolling farm with a secluded cabin & stocked pond on the back of the property with deer, cranes, ducks, geese, & many more wild animals. I can only see one neighbor.
You just reach a point in life where you understand the more you have the more you have to maintain & deal with. It's lifes journey that counts & the people you meet, not how much stuff you accumulate & not many have gathered up as much as I have or been an adrenalin junky. It's just a great little camper, just another adventure. Have you never stayed in a tent, camper or on a boat? IMHO You my friend need to get some profesional help. It's not meant to be a slam, it's meant to be a wake up call. My wife is in that line of work.

Gary Paine
08-27-2018, 07:51 PM
It sure beats the tent I used to camp with. I'll bet you have a fun trip if you have the stamina to enjoy it.
How about Vagabond?

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-27-2018, 08:05 PM
You just reach a point in life where you understand the more you have the more you have to maintain & deal with.

I know that problem very well but adding another project and maintenance nightmare (Ie: A 1993 Ambulance that needs significant work) just adds to the problem, no?

garagemark
08-27-2018, 08:19 PM
I'd certainly put a hell of an alarm on the thing. I can see some schmuck stealing the damn car and getting a full blown arsenal as a super bonus. I'd probably electrify at least the door handles!

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-27-2018, 08:27 PM
I'd certainly put a hell of an alarm on the thing. I can see some schmuck stealing the damn car and getting a full blown arsenal as a super bonus. I'd probably electrify at least the door handles!

Your definition of schmuck must have been extinct for 100's of years. I don't think any modern man would be stupid enough to steel a 1993 Ambulance? :)

flylo
08-27-2018, 08:30 PM
And you make fun of my spelling. It's steal 3wattdufus, not steel.:p

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-27-2018, 08:34 PM
And you make fun of my spelling. It's steal 3wattdufus, not steel.:p

Just trying to make it more on topic :)

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-27-2018, 08:51 PM
And when on earth are you going to learn how to post pictures like everyone else?

flylo
08-27-2018, 08:56 PM
Why would I want to be like everyone else? I don't feel that need like you do. I don't have a cell, not on social media, I have much better things to do with my time.

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-27-2018, 09:11 PM
Why would I want to be like everyone else? I don't feel that need like you do. I don't have a cell, not on social media, I have much better things to do with my time.

True, you should never set unattainable goals. But, you're on social media right now so you're already achieving more than you thought you were capable of! And cell phones are not that difficult to use either.

kendall
08-27-2018, 10:08 PM
Well, it started out to be an interesting thread.

bborr01
08-27-2018, 11:18 PM
Thousand Meter Bullseye.

Tundra Twin Track
08-28-2018, 12:44 AM
Thousand Meter Bullseye.

2018 Canadian Sniper Team ,Middle East 3871 Yards

Arcane
08-28-2018, 06:24 AM
2018 Canadian Sniper Team ,Middle East 3871 Yards

Canadian soldiers hold three spots in the top five longest recorded sniper kills. Not too shabby, eh!

flylo
08-28-2018, 06:38 AM
Thanks guys I like those but I think something simple like JOURNEY or LIFE IS A HIGHWAY as it has been a great Journey & this will be a new Journey. I want to go to Camp Perry & see them shoot, also Knob Creek & out to Utah & shoot with the Utah Long Range Shooters who shoot milk jugs at a mile+. One video shows a 7 year old hitting one at 1000 yards. Visit the Salt Flats during Speed Week, find a DC-3 to fly, one more skydive, etc. You can do all sorts of little hacks like internet for $5/month that one guy uploads you to his tube videos with. I've been missing adventure & the road trips I used to do picking up planes & projects to supplement my hobbies so they never came out of the family budget or family funds. But then I was always on a dead run, this time I can slow down & enjoy it more. Thanks!

LRSoU videos, enjoy https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5tWKFylRJ9iaYMxZeEsvQjIKcbn35w5G

flylo
08-28-2018, 06:50 AM
Canadian soldiers hold three spots in the top five longest recorded sniper kills. Not too shabby, eh!

Very impressive but the one was at very high altitude which helped, used hotter American ammo & missed several times. My favorite is Carlos Hathcock 1 shot kill at 2500 yards using a Ma Duece, 50BMG ball ammo & a10x scope. These guys who have to walk it to the target don't count with me. Real snipers used 1.1 rds per kill. Last I knew an Aussie held the longest kill shot but they wern't saying much about it but maybe that's changed.

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-28-2018, 09:56 AM
What do you guys think of red dot scopes? Recently got a S&W M&P 15-22 with a Sig Sauer Romeo4 red dot and absolutely love it.

flylo
08-28-2018, 11:13 AM
Here's one more you tube on living in an ambulance. Mine is a Horton build out of Ohio which I like better as it has more interior room but this is very close. I called Horton to buy keys for the back & they sent 50+ build sheets. The best part is I live within 50 miles of where this one was built & there are 20+ RV salvage stores selling any new item you'd want. I think it's the right size for one but they seem happy living 2 in it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQwj_xl8rHs

Love this guys table & the ambulance is close to mine. I wanted pre computer as my F150 is in the shop with Theft system (P.A.T.S.) issues. My Cummins 12 valve 5.9 was the last month made pre-computer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izk-bZR3f5s

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-28-2018, 12:47 PM
there are 20+ RV salvage stores selling any new item you'd want.

Gotta love that! Must only be a Michigan thing?

loose nut
08-28-2018, 07:43 PM
Very impressive but the one was at very high altitude which helped, used hotter American ammo & missed several times. My favorite is Carlos Hathcock 1 shot kill at 2500 yards using a Ma Duece, 50BMG ball ammo & a10x scope. These guys who have to walk it to the target don't count with me. Real snipers used 1.1 rds per kill. Last I knew an Aussie held the longest kill shot but they wern't saying much about it but maybe that's changed.

Then you should shoot something at 3872 yards and shows us how its done with one shot!

garagemark
08-28-2018, 08:43 PM
Your definition of schmuck must have been extinct for 100's of years. I don't think any modern man would be stupid enough to steel a 1993 Ambulance? :)

Seriously? You must not get out much. All you have to do is have one of your shooting buddies know whats in the car. He will go home and innocently tell his wife about a dude who has a freakin ambulance with guns all in it who's retiring out here. Then she'll go out with the girls and, just between sips of wine, tell them that her husband mentioned some guy driving an ambulance around in retirement... and said it had guns in it! Then those five women go home and tell their hubbies that they heard about some guy in an ambulance with GUNS in it for cryin out loud! Then...

Get the point? It happens all the time, and it's all meant to be innocent chatter until that one person gets wind about it that shouldn't have that information. Hell yes there's a modern man out there that would steal an ambulance full of guns. He might not have the wheels for long, but he sure could have a whole lot more.

Ask me how I know this can happen.

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-28-2018, 08:48 PM
Flylo, you better put an alarm on that thing. Garagemark would love to seal it and snag your Walmart guns.

flylo
08-28-2018, 09:09 PM
1st the RVs are built & the stores are in Indiana, please keep up. 2nd Garage Mark wants to "seal" my guns & you make fun of my typing? #rd I don't buy anything at Walfart like everyone else does. If you're going to run me down & be a pain in the *ss to everyone at least learn to type, spell & get your facts straight little boy. OK?

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-28-2018, 09:15 PM
1st the RVs are built & the stores are in Indiana, please keep up. 2nd Garage Mark wants to "seal" my guns & you make fun of my typing? #rd I don't buy anything at Walfart like everyone else does. If you're going to run me down & be a pain in the *ss to everyone at least learn to type, spell & get your facts straight little boy. OK?

I need a translator. Anyone?

flylo
08-28-2018, 09:26 PM
This explains your problem https://medicalfoxx.com/little-man-syndrome.html

danlb
08-28-2018, 09:30 PM
Hey guys... If I can refrain from posting on Jteir's posts for almost a week *, you two can stop sniping for a while so that we can enjoy the details of the original subject. Please? All it takes is for either party to be the better man.

Dan

* Aug 13 - 17, barely any posts that contradicted Jerry.

Joel
08-28-2018, 09:34 PM
Geez, enough already.

I assume you are using the backboard storage area for the guns, think about putting in a false back for an extra layer of protection. A D/A finish is common, so do the whole compartment to match, or line it with indoor/outdoor carpet. Hold it on with allen heads. Unless the entire vehicle gets stolen, you should be golden.

BTW, Walmart sells Ruger, Savage, Marlin, Mossberg, Remington, Nikon, Simmons and so on.

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-28-2018, 09:37 PM
This explains your problem https://medicalfoxx.com/little-man-syndrome.html

Dan is correct. I'm literally dying to find out how this ambulance adventure turns out. And being someone that apparently suffers from little man syndrome, even I would feel cramped to hell in there.

bborr01
08-28-2018, 09:43 PM

Some of the stores are in Indiana and some are in Michigan. I was down there yesterday and went to two of them on US 12. The one just west of US131 was closed but we checked the one east of US131 out. My buddy asked me if I wanted to go check them out. He didn't check to see if they were both open though. You could pretty much build a complete RV out of parts that they sell there.

Brian

bborr01
08-28-2018, 09:45 PM
This is the one we went to yesterday: http://bontragers.com/

flylo
08-28-2018, 10:28 PM
It has a at least 2'+ square full height locker where the O2 went with access from OS behind the driver seat & one the same size inside for maybe gurney storage not sure, plenty of storage under the padded bench you can lie on or has 3 sets of seat belts s you can legally haul 6 sitting people & 2 horiz. More storage under the cabinets gun cases can be put. I use good cases with at least 2" or more of padding & will use bungies or stretch rope & 2" good foam on the floor. There is much more storage that you'd think.
As far as the wee one I'll just ignore him as he never has anything good to add so why feed the troll. On one you tubes the guy stood the passenger side step into the rear box to shower & used a shower curtain & a sink sprayer. worked fine & he could clean all his gea too as it's alum diamond plate.

Brian, I like Johnsons too but did you try Toms Surplus on the east side of 131 about a mile north of US-12? I bought fema trailer doors for all the hanger to go in the big doors, $40 ea with the keyed lock. I used to buy the new 7000# axles & alum wheels with tires. 8 hole 16" were all the same unless they've changed, I tried a set on my truck & it tracked better than any other tires I used but think of the abuse some trailer tires go thru, sliding sideway while being jacknifed & such. I got them all from an old from Goshen.

flylo
08-29-2018, 12:19 PM
Got the new name RAMBULANCE which can mean rambling in an ambulance or Our ambulance(like toysRus) or R is the start of my name. I think it fits.

kendall
08-29-2018, 02:10 PM
I checked out those videos, they make me rethink the utility of an ambulance as an RV. I'm short, so low headroom isn't a big of a problem for me as it it for some people I know.

May start looking for one when I'm ready for something different.

tomato coupe
08-29-2018, 02:28 PM
We looked at one of these a couple of years ago. We jokingly referred to it as "the ambulance" at the time, for obvious reasons. It packs a lot into it's interior space.

https://pleasureway.com/plateau-xl-td/

flylo
08-29-2018, 02:33 PM
For the $2k I paid, Very well maintained, no rust, 88k miles, new tires & batteries this year, non computer engine which parts are very available & very cheap like a full set of 7.3 IDI injectors $200 vs 7.3 Powerstroke Injectors $1200. I'm near Kalamazoo so if you get this way you're always welcome to stop in & see & try it out.

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-29-2018, 02:53 PM
Here are a couple of campers for cheap $$$ in SW Michigan. Hook up to your F150 and go.

1998 Sunny brook camper 26 foot long. $3.6K w/all amenities ($0 cost for FI)
https://swmi.craigslist.org/rvs/d/98-sunnybrook-camper-26-feet/6673945397.html
https://images.craigslist.org/00f0f_jezBXL38tZr_600x450.jpg

1999 Sunny brook camper 28 foot long. $3.9K w/all amenities ($0 cost for FI)
https://swmi.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1999-sunny-brook-camper-28/6670712340.html
https://images.craigslist.org/00D0D_8DFXy6YMhhC_600x450.jpg

1997 Sierra camper. 25 foot long. $3.8K w/all amenities ($0 cost for FI)
https://swmi.craigslist.org/spo/d/camper/6679062470.html
https://images.craigslist.org/00Z0Z_4ZxaWp2GjVL_600x450.jpg

flylo
08-29-2018, 03:16 PM
We looked at one of these a couple of years ago. We jokingly referred to it as "the ambulance" at the time, for obvious reasons. It packs a lot into it's interior space.

https://pleasureway.com/plateau-xl-td/

It's very close in size to The Rambulance, even the HP 185, 365 ft/pds of torque on mine 22' long & 9' high, has a bult in vacuum pump, air compresor, inverter, The side upper lights changed to white which are handy to set up camp at night. great interior lights which are dimmable & when you open a cabinet door the light comes on. I'm glad they sent 50+ page build sheets for all the wirering. For me it's perfect & the next day I sold a GPU for the same price so once again it didn't come out of the family budget. I'm sure another grand will add the solar, led lights & any changes I make. Thanks for sending the link as they are very close.

kendall
08-29-2018, 05:25 PM
For the $2k I paid, Very well maintained, no rust, 88k miles, new tires & batteries this year, non computer engine which parts are very available & very cheap like a full set of 7.3 IDI injectors $200 vs 7.3 Powerstroke Injectors $1200. I'm near Kalamazoo so if you get this way you're always welcome to stop in & see & try it out.

Not sure if you're talking to me, but my wife and are are thinking about visiting relatives in Ohio in a couple months, I'd appreciate a chance to see what it 'is' and what you plan to make it into.
I've only had the chance to be in ambulances twice, but for some reason don't remember too much about them.

flylo
08-29-2018, 05:29 PM
Yep I was iviting you, I'm just west of Kalamazoo. I'll PM my #. Thanks!

aostling
08-29-2018, 05:48 PM
I owe my nickname to a fictitious character named Boomer in a Tom Robbins novel, i think it was called "skinny legs and all"

I have long wondered about your moniker. My cousin and her husband bought the house where Tom Robbins wrote his books. It is on Puget Sound near the mouth of the Skagit, south of La Conner, WA. They have been there for several decades, and have not changed the house much. It has a strange fireplace mantel made from an unadorned slab of 1.5"-thick aluminum.

I doubt that it is 7075, but with Robbins you never know -- he may have fancied living in Another Roadside Attraction.

bborr01
08-29-2018, 06:23 PM
Here are a couple of campers for cheap $$$ in SW Michigan. Hook up to your F150 and go.

1998 Sunny brook camper 26 foot long. $3.6K w/all amenities ($0 cost for FI)
https://swmi.craigslist.org/rvs/d/98-sunnybrook-camper-26-feet/6673945397.html
https://images.craigslist.org/00f0f_jezBXL38tZr_600x450.jpg

1999 Sunny brook camper 28 foot long. $3.9K w/all amenities ($0 cost for FI)
https://swmi.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1999-sunny-brook-camper-28/6670712340.html
https://images.craigslist.org/00D0D_8DFXy6YMhhC_600x450.jpg

1997 Sierra camper. 25 foot long. $3.8K w/all amenities ($0 cost for FI)
https://swmi.craigslist.org/spo/d/camper/6679062470.html
https://images.craigslist.org/00Z0Z_4ZxaWp2GjVL_600x450.jpg

There is a lot more to the equation than whether it has FI or not financially. Plates and insurance. My wife and I have been avid RV'ers in 5th wheel trailers for over 20 years. We paid $200 for a permanent plate. Insurance is $125 a year for full coverage which isn't required. Liability insurance is covered by the tow vehicle. A motor home gets you every year for plates and in Michigan it is based on the original cost of the vehicle and insurance also covers liability and catastrophic claims so it is costly.

Flylo, Have you checked into plates and insurance?

Brian

A.K. Boomer
08-29-2018, 06:36 PM
I have long wondered about your moniker. My cousin and her husband bought the house where Tom Robbins wrote his books. It is on Puget Sound near the mouth of the Skagit, south of La Conner, WA. They have been there for several decades, and have not changed the house much. It has a strange fireplace mantel made from an unadorned slab of 1.5"-thick aluminum.

I doubt that it is 7075, but with Robbins you never know -- he may have fancied living in Another Roadside Attraction.

Wow small world - im guessing the guy had many a hideaway but not sure, that's really neat though and yeah who knows what the mantel was about although maybe just him knowing that aluminum dissipated heat very well, the guys no dummy he mixed allot of knowledge in with his humor in which he had a great sense of, iv read all his books except his last two - will probably read them someday and will be a nice surprise if any of them come close to some of his early work,,, some people have fertile minds, then for some it's an outright compost heap lol thanks for sharing that Aostling.

Edit; I have to add just because it sounds like you've read a few, I enjoyed every single one - incredible insight and ways of looking at things, every one except for half asleep in frog pajama's, could not even make it through half that book, had an irritating time frame thing going on and the content never even sparked interest for me in any of it...

and since it was one of his last in the era I was reading them I never re-connected with the others after that fact in fear that he might have lost his touch, but it's on the bucket list after of course all the high risk behavior is over with lol although - just reading a TR novel could be considered high risk behavior in itself lol

aostling
08-29-2018, 11:02 PM
Edit; I have to add just because it sounds like you've read a few,

I mostly recall reading Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, and Another Roadside Attraction. The latter is a wacky tale of events in Skagit County WA which surely must have rattled the Pope (whoever he was at the time). You shouldn't re-read these books unless you are stoned.

In one of his books he stated a conviction that "redheads are from outer space." That seems plausible to me.

flylo
08-29-2018, 11:17 PM
There is a lot more to the equation than whether it has FI or not financially. Plates and insurance. My wife and I have been avid RV'ers in 5th wheel trailers for over 20 years. We paid $200 for a permanent plate. Insurance is $125 a year for full coverage which isn't required. Liability insurance is covered by the tow vehicle. A motor home gets you every year for plates and in Michigan it is based on the original cost of the vehicle and insurance also covers liability and catastrophic claims so it is costly.

Flylo, Have you checked into plates and insurance?

Brian

Insurance is about $450, $200 of which is that stupid uninsured motorist which I thought no fault cured. You know we pay the highest in the country. Plates arent bad but if I convert it to a motorhome it's cheaper. I told the story of buying a bus just to attend Airwenture 1 week a year at Oshkosh with my favorite engine a 12 valve Cummins 5.9 & insurance was over $1500 per year as the said school buses were the most dangerous vehicle on the road with the highest roll over rate. Killed that idea.

A.K. Boomer
08-30-2018, 08:54 AM
I mostly recall reading Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, and Another Roadside Attraction. The latter is a wacky tale of events in Skagit County WA which surely must have rattled the Pope (whoever he was at the time). You shouldn't re-read these books unless you are stoned.

In one of his books he stated a conviction that "redheads are from outer space." That seems plausible to me.

What can you say, there's politically correct and then there's TR lol Those were the first two i read that got me hooked, Sissy Hankshaw with her extra large thumbs, what's a girl to do ? hitchhike across the country of course...

And yeah agreed, you know he upset some people with A.R.Attraction, but he made some others very happy, oh well,can't win em all...

You would not regret "Jitterbug Perfume" "Skinny legs and all" and "Still life with Woodpecker" All have the same kind of writing charm, and in keeping with the topic, He never even had a pick of Boomers Turkey leg airstream travel trailer but I still can see it plain as day when I think about it... could even be part of the reason I learned how to tig weld lol