OT - repair small puncture holes in tarp - what tape to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aribert
    • Mar 2010

OT - repair small puncture holes in tarp - what tape to use?

Greetings all:

I have several large tarps (20 x 30 ft) that have some small wear or puncture holes. I am looking for suggestions on a suitable tape that adheres (permanently) and will flex with the tarp as it is folded. I first tried duct tape but it soon began to wrinkle. I bought some "tarp repair tape" from a big box store and the tape is already beginning to peel / curl 24 hrs after installation! I am looking for a product that once stuck on the tarp, that will stay there permanently. Any suggestions?
    Metro Detroit
  • Joel
    • Jun 2001

I can't make a suggestion about tapes, but for smaller holes and probably weak spots, seam sealer (for tents, etc) might work well. You do have to look around to find a decent price and large bottle. It is possible that if you applied the tape over the the sealer while it is still tacky, it might stick appreciably better.

Comment

• lugnut
      • Sep 2004

I think you need some Flex Seal

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
      Oregon Coast

Comment

• darryl
        • Jan 2003

You might try hockey tape. I've had pretty good luck with it for various uses. Another thing that comes to mind is prepping the area to be taped. There's a prepping agent that's meant for pvc fittings, found along with pvc cements. I don't know what it is, but if you're talking about a pvc tarp, then this might help to prepare the surface for the patch tape. You'd have to let it completely dry before applying the patch.

If it's a canvas tarp you're talking about, then use something like speed-sew to apply a thin cloth layer to one or both sides. As I type I'm wearing jeans that I repaired this way, about two years ago. Still no edges coming loose.

Comes to mind you could speed-sew a cloth patch to a pvc tarp as well. I think I would want to wait for that to mostly dry, then apply a seal coat over the patch and a bit out onto the tarp.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• Tony907
          • Aug 2018

Maybe medical tape? That stuff sticks really well and its reinforced. Never used it for an application like that though.
          My recommendation?

No matter what I tell you, get a second opinion.

Comment

• Black Forest
            • Jan 2010

Do you know what material was used to make the tarps?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Noitoen
              • Oct 2013

Some tarp material can be hot welded with the same tarp material and a heat gun.
              Helder Ferreira
              Setubal, Portugal

Comment

• Black Forest
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
                Some tarp material can be hot welded with the same tarp material and a heat gun.
                Yes, that is why I asked what material.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• JCByrd24
                  • Jan 2017

Awning repair tape is pretty impressive.

Comment

• Arcane
                    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                    Do you know what material was used to make the tarps?
                    That's a prime bit of information the OP should have given us.

Comment

• MikeL46
                      • Aug 2014

Go to a camping store (like REI) and get some tent repair tape. Adheres well, flexes, and has strengthening threads running through it.

Mike

Comment

• JoeLee
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
                        I think you need some Flex Seal
                        That will seal it. It's still holding on my dehumidifier bucket.

JL................

Comment

• aribert
                          • Mar 2010

Thank you all for your responses.

The tarps that I am trying to repair are the common plastic tarps. Construction of the tarps is a sandwich of two thin layers of (I am guessing) polyethylene with a course flat woven reinforcement. in the middle
                          Metro Detroit

Comment

• PStechPaul
                            • Oct 2013

Here are some varieties of tarp tape:
                            Specializes in tarp tape will patch up tears and cuts on the poly tarps. Buy high quality tarps at wholesale prices.

Various tarp accessories:
                            Huge selection of tarps at 70% off or more. Get fast shipping on Tarp and Cover Accessories.

Many types of poly tarps:
                            Specializing in Poly Tarps, Poly Tarp, Blue Poly Tarps, Blue Poly Tarps, White Poly Tarps, White Poly Tarp, polyethylene tarps and more tarps.

All kinds of tarps:
                            Learn more about the different tarps available here TARPS - Here you will find information about tarps, type of tarp covers and the uses. Tarps also known as tarpaulins are used for many applications. The various type of tarps can range from, poly tarps (polyethylene tarps) canvas tarps, truck tarps, mesh tarps, hay ta

More info:
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• flylo
                              • Apr 2011

If you want good tarps cheap go to a billboard company you can buy ones 13 x26 IIRC for $1ea new in boxes & heaby vinyl like truckers tarps twice or three the size for about $40 that will outlast many of us. Someone's paid for them, they're in the way & just need to go. I gave them $100 & the filled every nook & cranny in a dodge caravan where I couldn't see to drive. I think I got between 250 & 300. Backs were all white with different signs on the front. We had a big storm go thru so I was giving them away & everyone wanted the head trauma ones. Saved a lot of attic & ceiling damage & U even had the plasticap nails to install them.

Comment

Working...
                              X