PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting a Lowes and Home Depot in my city

spope14
09-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Hey, my wife and others in my valley will become "home improvement widows" within the next few months. Our fine city has Home Depot and a Lowes coming in, brand new built, 100 yards apart!!!!!!!!

Just saw the construction trailers for both facilities set up!!!!!

Add this to fastenall, our other fine hardware stores and electrical and plumbing stores.....

rebelrodder
09-08-2004, 03:34 PM
We have the same thing in my home town. Seems kinda strange to see competitors in each other's back yard. That being said, I do make use of both stores on a regular basis. Their parking lots are linked so you can park and go to either store. It's funny to be loading up at one when your truck is half full of the other guy's stuff already! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Mike W
09-08-2004, 03:39 PM
I like parking near a front door to a store then walk in 50 feet to get what I need. I don't like parking 300 yards from the front door then walking 600 yards in the store trying to find what I need.

nheng
09-08-2004, 03:49 PM
I was out there on Saturday for my daughter's soccer game and hit "Bargain Outlet Stores" on the way back.

Someday I've gotta see your SVRTC and all those nice Maximats lined up http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif Is that in the HS or separate?

Den

sandman2234
09-08-2004, 05:26 PM
You can kiss all your mom and pop hardware stores goodbye. Plus all the good service and advice they have given you over the years.
david from jax

Michael Az
09-08-2004, 05:38 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sandman2234:
You can kiss all your mom and pop hardware stores goodbye. Plus all the good service and advice they have given you over the years.
david from jax</font>
Amen David. My little town got the first wal mart store in Az 16 years ago and thats what happened to all the small stores. I had a small gun shop and did gunsmithing work. A couple other small gunstores and we are all gone now. Go to walmart and try to get some hunting or gun advise! But they sell guns and ammo at what I paid wholesale. I remember people would go to walmart, buy a rifle and scope and then bring them to me to mount and site in! We still don't have a lowes or home depot though, 150 miles away.
Michael

rollin45
09-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Lowes has much a much better fastener dept, though they fall down on stocking some of the stuff that isn't in demand.
Home Depot tends to have a better plumbing dept.

The help at Home Depot tends to be more knowledgeable, .....
thats the story on the stores here anyway.
rollin'

motorworks
09-08-2004, 08:40 PM
"You can kiss all your mom and pop hardware stores goodbye"

WE have Wal-Mart here as well now,
But
Most people only want price, nothing else.When I sold mowers they would come to my shop and ask questions ,but would buy at Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire.I would see them again when they had problems!!
But getting back to my main point,people only see price.Look how much I saved today and I will come back tommorrow and buy more ****,so they can say again "look how much I saved..."

nheng
09-08-2004, 08:54 PM
Wal-mart and Home Depot are two prime examples of why jobs are leaving this country.

On the other hand, the mom and pop hardware stores (at least in this area) have been either Ace or Trustworthy for many years. Full of imported crap !

I don't know how many times I've replaced the same cheap imported toilet components, poorly galvanized bolts, wood fasteners, etc. etc.

Maybe in time America will get re-educated and demand quality again.

Den

gundog
09-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Lucky you, you will have a bunch of the same stuff in both stores and nobody that will no anything about any of it. I moved from a small town about 1 1/2 years ago that had a big Ace hardware store they seem to have everything. I was building a house at the time and there was a Lowes and Home Depot about 2 HR drive away. I went and compared prices and low and behold the small town hardware store would match or beat there prices without the 2 hour drive and they delivered for free. Lowes had a door I wanted so I talked to the guy on the phone and he said he would hold the door until I arrived when I showed up the door had a big dent in it. I did not buy the door when I got back to my small town I talked to the door guy and they ordered one showed up in two days and was cheaper.

Now I live in Vancouver, Wa across the Columbia River from Portland Oregon. You would think you could get anything here right. I was looking for some sanding discs the other day and hit all of the usual places and could not locate the grits I wanted. We just happened to have planned a trip back to our old home area to visit friends and I went in to the small town Ace and guess what they had everything I needed and it was full of friendly knowledgeable people I talked with these people that I only knew from doing business with them and I felt like I was visiting with old friends. I wish I could move back. This is just my 2 cents about these large supper stores.
Mike

bspooh
09-08-2004, 10:09 PM
I shop at Home depot and Wal mart and I'm proud of it...

brent

nheng
09-08-2004, 10:22 PM
I suppose they serve a purpose but when you find that what they offer is all that's left in your town ...

Spin Doctor
09-08-2004, 11:49 PM
There goes your credit rating

tattoomike68
09-09-2004, 12:06 AM
spope14 Hey, my wife and others in my valley will become "home improvement widows" within the next few months. Our fine city has Home Depot and a Lowes coming in, brand new built, 100 yards apart!!!!!!!!
yea the ol lady wanted the bathroom done, I told her"you are doing it all"

I did have to wire the new light bar over the medicine cabnet, but thays all.

she has slowed way down on her honey-do list.

To offset the spending I went out and bought an rc plane and a rocket kit.

her fun/// my fun http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

J Tiers
09-09-2004, 12:15 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sandman2234:
david from jax</font>

Naw, the HD and Lowes here ain't worth crap. There are at least 3 good hardware stores, and a host of not as good. The big box place people don't know much, and can't even cut a key that works....

You can buy lightbulbs there, or surprisingly decent lumber.

But to get a key, or a screen door re-screened, or odd faucet parts, etc, etc, etc, even a pulley or belt, you gotta go to Biener's or Branneky.

If a Menards came here (they are 100 mi away) the lowes and HD would die quickly. But the little stores would still be fine.

fixxit
09-09-2004, 01:11 AM
I won't go near Walmart.

There have been several articles about Walmart "locking in" their employees overnight and threatening them not to open the emergency doors overnight for any reason. Several employees have had severe injuries and had to wait till morning unitil the supervisors unlocked the building to go to the hospital.

IT seems that they are too concerned with stock leakage rather than employees health.

Also forced overtime "off the clock" has been documented at numerous sites. Of course the company denies everything.

I have also read about Walmart forcing suppliers to lower prices, telling them to go offshore if they can't meet the prices that they want.

This company is destroying our jobs, our economy and way of life.... how can you shop there?

Fixxit

[This message has been edited by fixxit (edited 09-09-2004).]

Mike W
09-09-2004, 03:53 AM
I don't shop at Walmart either.

vinito
09-09-2004, 04:30 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You can kiss all your mom and pop hardware stores goodbye. Plus all the good service and advice they have given you over the years.</font>
I wish that were true, but I have to explain:

My town has a Lowe's being built as we speak. No plans for a competing Home Depot as yet (I hope that doesn't happen). We had about five decent lumber/hardware stores in town ever since I was just a spud. Back then they were run the way you normally think of them. They usually had what you needed, the folks were knowledgable and efficient and prices were reasonable. Over the years all of them have gone downhill in terms of service to the point that I will only go to one of them anymore, and half the time it is only to find that "those will probably be coming in on the truck in a couple days". This is for basic hardware, and it happens too often to be "just my luck". Bummer too, because at least those guys are otherwise pretty helpful. So most of the time I end up driving the half hour to get what I need a Lowe's anyways.

These particular stores already bought their headstones anyway, and I hope this is not a nationwide penomenon. If they hired and encouraged helpful, knowledgable employees and had what hardware stores are supposed to stock, I'd show a little sympathy. Most of these stores have nothing but tired, rude kids there only to collect their pittance at the end of the week. I think it's the same old story of short-sighted, greedy management. I'm just glad it's a Lowe's going in instead of a Home Depot - never cared for HD much. Lowe's always did pretty well in my experience.

I'd rather see the small family hardware stores come back, but since they already abandoned my town (without giving a goodbye kiss), I guess I can live with Lowe's.

Strange days, indeed.

p.s. I still avoid Wal Mart like the plague.

[This message has been edited by vinito (edited 09-09-2004).]

Space
09-09-2004, 06:14 AM
Fixxit: Too bad you don't know what you are talking about. Think about it, in our lawsuit happy society don't yoy htink that would be jumped on like no tomorrow???

andypullen
09-09-2004, 07:14 AM
Lowes has a policy of building a store across the street or next door in this case. I'm a stockholder (for investment purposes only)and it's in the annual reports. I personally don't like the big "hardware" chains. I've found that they're geared more toward doing home improvements and not maintenance. Every time I've needed a part to fix something in my house; HD and Lowes do not carry it. I go to the local (still open) mom and pop store and they have it. It may cost me a few bucks more, but they have it.

Fot the most part they are good at what they do. Sell new stuff. If you want to repair something that's older than 10 years old, forget it.

rollin45
09-09-2004, 08:13 AM
I'm not so sure the Mom and Pop stores are or were all they were cracked up to be. I suppose this varies as to ones geographical location, but a business is a business and they tend to stock items that sell. In that most mom and pops, tend to be relavtively small, they are constrained by space as to the inventory on hand.

Where I live, there were more then, less now small hardware stores, all of which generally stocked about the same thing, but one would be closer to home, and so got the local business. Prices were about the same across the spectrum of stores.

The big boxes buy in bulk, thus driving out the smaller stores due to prices, but there are mom and pops in outlaying areas, that buy inventory from the big boxes! I know this to be true as I have friends who own the mom and pop.

Service and customer relations is more likely a function of the store manager rather than corporate policy; its free enterprise driving this and if you think there is enough demand for the friendly neighborhood hardware store, just hang on for a while and they will be back.

MHO
rollin'

bspooh
09-09-2004, 08:15 AM
Well I am obviously against the "norm" here, but I am being honest...I buy all my groceries at Wal*Mart, and I have no complaints about their food..I usually don't buy anything but food there, sometimes electronics and movies, but nothing too major..I do agree that a lot of wal mart items are made in china crap, but I do a lot of christmas shopping for the kids their...I don't like wasting money elsewhere...

I have always found what I needed at either Home Depot or Lowes..

I haven't lived in a small town before..Only the city for me, so I have always shopped at major chains...

brent

sandman2234
09-09-2004, 08:18 AM
If you want to repair something that's older than 10 years old, forget it.

If it isn't 10 years old, why does it need fixing?

My house is 40 years old and is still holding up fine. Built before people decided that they could make inferior products so that it would need replacing, and they could make money selling it again.
David from jax

[This message has been edited by sandman2234 (edited 09-09-2004).]

topct
09-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Lowes ten minutes away,
Home Depot eleven,
Angle and channel iron eight,
Steel bar and sheet metal nine,
Aluminum fifteen,
Electronics three,
Fasteners ten,
Machinery ten,
Office depot two,
Comp Usa five,
Walley World is clear across town twenty minutes away, I can't deal with that.

andypullen
09-09-2004, 09:16 AM
What I'm saying was echoed by Rollin that the stores will stock what sells. I understand that. I have 3 small hardware stores inside a 10 mile radius of my home that will stock items that Home Depot won't.

For example, a shutoff valve in the vanity in my bathroom developed a crack at the elbow. I went to HD with the valve which was a PVC 90 degree shutoff valve. You would think that they would carry that valve, but they didn't. It's not like it's a bastard size. 1/2" copper tube in and 3/8" out. I also needed a stopper for my tub. It has a 3/8-16 thread on it. Home Depot had only a stopper with a 5/16-18 thread on it. The local mom and pop had both items.

I use Home Depot for home improvement items and tools, mostly. They are good at selling new stuff to you to replace "older" stuff. My house is 17 years old and I would think that simple stuff like I mentioned would be in stock.

I also use Wal-mart and Target for some things. Oil filters, motor oil, kids toys, diapers, etc...We don't have a supercenter nearby, so I can't comment on that.

I'm not trying to piss anybody off, just relating my experiences.

Andy Pullen

reggie_obe
09-09-2004, 10:01 AM
I have to agree that while HD and Lowes may be big and in some cases cheap, they aren't allways better than the small hardware store. HD was better before they decided that they had to have a full appliance department. How did they gain the floor space? Eliminate some other items they were carrying. In all my recent appliance purchases, washer, dishwaser, wall oven, cooktop, my small applance deater gave me a better deal, delivered for free and removed the old unit. HD doesn't do that. Lowes and HD try to hire people experienced in the trades, but when one department slows down, they shift them to other areas. That is why Joe the plumber can be found in Nursery in the summer. HD is a joke for hardware, try to find a 7/16 fine thread bolt, or a hex cap screw 3-3/4 long.

Bob-O
09-09-2004, 10:21 AM
I try to avoid Home Depot whenever possible. I usually buy lumber at the lumberyard, plumbing & electrical supplies at the appropriate supply house. I recently needed a 9/16-18 fine thread hex nut for a rush job last weekend. I tried the local auto parts store. NG, but they suggested ACE hardware. They had it. I really try to keep the local small business owners working. By keeping the right local people in the loop, you can pick up home shop type work. Around here, the small plumbing houses and hardware stores are gone. Several good lumberyards and electrical houses have survived though.
Regards,
Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob-O (edited 09-09-2004).]

Dee Reel
09-09-2004, 10:44 AM
Good Day All!

Just wanted to let you all in on a little secret. I kinda stumbled upon it when I was re-doing my deck.

Seems that if you find something on sale at Menards, Home depot, etc..., and the store doesn't have it in stock; just take the sales paper to Lowes and they will give it to you at the sales price plus take another additional 10% off.

When I was rebuilding the deck, Menards had the decking on sale, however; when I went to purchase the items(vinyl rails, slats, etc...) they didn't have near enough to complete my deck.

So I went to Lowes(who I might say) has always had plenty of stuff(sales items) in stock when they run their sales. They had a tremendous amount of the above items in stock. I knew they would match the sale, but to my surprise, the gentleman that was helping me also said, we take an additional 10% off the sales price. Well, needless to say, they got my business!

I ended up having to go back and return a rail as they advised me how to install the rails and told me wrong. No problem, they took the rail back(which had been hacked on) with no questions asked.

I kinda laughed because when I went to check out the new ones, the cashier didn't know about the policy(matching sales and 10% discount) She was so excited as she was doing some home improvements also and couldn't thank me enough!

So, just keep this in mind as it saved me a tremendous amount of money!

Regards,
Dee

Evan
09-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Don't know about the story fixxit relates but Walmart has done some very slimy things regarding employees. Probably the worst is to intentionally hire elderly employees for jobs like greeters and then taking out large life insurance policies payable only to Walmart upon the employees death.

http://www.bigclassaction.com/class_action/walmart.html

Wayne02
09-09-2004, 11:14 AM
We have an HD near us, and the biggest drawback is the place is always packed with people. I went down there yesterday to research garden sheds. The have a bazillion differ models set-up outside.

Naturally, the one I was interested in had no sign on it. I went inside to see if they had some literature and pricing. After waiting behind 4 people at the general customer service desk, they told me I had to go to the special order desk. Walking to the other end of the store I find the line at the "special" desk to be 6 people deep.

I find that HD's website is very poor. Lowe's site is better. Then there is the lady who is buying two small garden plants that don't have the bar code on them, and you are stuck behind her in line. Despite the fact that all of these plants are 89 cents and everyone knows it, the whole line shuts down.

Wayne

gundog
09-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Wal-Mart finds its way on the list of unfair labor practices the unions pass out every year. That is not because they are non union, you have to earn your way on this list by screwing your employees one way or another.

In fact I remember seeing them in the top 10 worst offenders in the US.
Mike

[This message has been edited by gundog (edited 09-09-2004).]

[This message has been edited by gundog (edited 09-09-2004).]

Techtchr
09-09-2004, 01:19 PM
I buy from the chain stores also, but I always give the local lumber yard a shot at my business. Recently I bought a very expensive door for my house. Local guy was within about $100 dollars of the Lowes price, on the high end. I bought the more expensive door from the local guy because when he was trying to sell it, he asked the right questions of me. Do you want right or left? What's your RO so we size the side lights correctly? When do you need it? ... He knew much more about the product. I got the impression that if I had a problem he would know how to deal with it. As luck would have it, the door didn't come in when he said it would. I had people scheduled to help me. He said I'll definitley have it on Friday (3 days latter). Friday came, door was in, when I paid the bill he knocked an additional $200 off the price. Said he appreciated my business and the fact that I didn't act like an Ass when the door didn't arrive the first time, and he realized that had I been closing on a new house he could have been really jambing me up. I've bought lots more since then.
Matt

Michael Az
09-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Evan, I have read that story before and find it hard to believe. I just can't believe a company would be such a slime ball to do something like that. Many years ago I sold life insurance for a large company and I remember you could not insure a person unless a good reason like your livelihood really depended on them. If you had a buisness partner, perfectly ok to insure him. One employee to wally world would mean nothing. Maybe laws have changed.
Michael

HTRN
09-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Going to HD or Lowe's in the daytime borders on Masochism and going there on the weekend is just an out and out nightmare. If I have to go, I try to go after nine during the week and after midnight on the weekends - this way I avoid the herd of dumbasses that seem to be there all the time. As for the "quality" of the employees, well when HD first opened, they hired tradesman, then promptly screwed them over. Now, the place is filled with retirees and getto kids who don't know one end of a hammer from the other. I know somebody who worked there at one point and quit after a month. They were willing to give him more because he had "experiance". 11 bucks an hour. Would you work for that? When my brother does side jobs, he figures on making at least $250 for four hours worth of work. Me, I lowered my demand at a job interview Tuesday and asked for $17/hr.. Now about getting oddball hardware - am I the only one here with a Grainger, MSC and McMaster Carr all within a 30 minute drive? I guess I'm spoiled living in the industrial Northeast.

HTRN

Evan
09-09-2004, 03:14 PM
See this link:

http://www.ufcw135.org/wal/wal_dead_peasant.htm

Also a quote from another site about Walmart:

"Like its marketing plan, Wal-Mart's legal strategy is value-oriented. The company often saves money by using outside lawyers who usually are paid a flat fee of about $2,500 to $10,500 a case. The company routinely files motions to have cases shifted to federal courts, where judges do not need to run for re-election. Protective orders keep key company papers private. If it has to pay a settlement, Wal-Mart keeps the amount secret through a confidentiality pact."

J Tiers
09-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Wal-mart also is reported to be notorious for the "hour shaving" scam. They aren't alone, apparently the fast-food places do it too.

They told the managers to reduce labor costs, and specifically told them to keep averyone in "part time". That way, no expensive benefits.

Then, they "let it be known" that one way to do that is to get into the payroll computer and manually reduce hours worked for anyone over the max for the week. They also "let it be known" that the manager's job depended on keeping everyone under the part time max.

Then they demanded more work be done per employee.

Classic rock and hard place.

So, guess what the managers had to do? Yep, they got in and illegally changed the hours worked.

This technique relies on the fact that the hours are not printed anywhere, they just exist in the computer. Also on the fact that the average Wal-mart employee wouldn't know if a few hours were "shaved" off their check.

Apparently some DID know, and the $hit hit the fan a few months ago.

Wal-mart is all about the money for the bosses and owners. You, as a customer or employee, are just a tool.

snowman
09-09-2004, 05:20 PM
I shop at Home Depot, Lowes...where ever I can find the part, when I need it. That is the biggest problem. I have a real nice hardware store 5 minutes from my house, the problem, they close at 6. I'm rarely home by six, so, I drive 20 minutes to Home Depot.

I have a lumber yard 7 minutes from my house. If I go and say I need eight 2x4's, they'll go out the yard with me and pick good ones. I love shopping there...unfortunately, they close at five, unless I plan ahead, it's hard to get there before they close.

I'd love to keep my money in the community, but often, it's the business that makes it difficult to do. I understand that it costs a lot of money to stay open, but if they were to do it once or twice a week, I would plan my "work" nites around them, so I could run when I need.

Walmart just plain sucks. No music with drug references, no R rated movies..."a real family store". I stay away.

-Jacob

spope14
09-10-2004, 10:47 AM
I live in a town where the stores left in droves to move to a bigger city up the valley. To buy underwear, or even socks, or anything clothing related, and anything that resembled anything more than paper plates, we had to drive 30 minutes one way, and deal with traffic there for up to another 30 minutes.

Bedroom community with too many empty store fronts, killed by mini mall developers who pretty much tore all the business out of any small town near them.

At one point, two hardware stores, and to buy lumber "up the valley" at a lumber yard, the price was still less and time better spent to drive the 1 hour round trip. Most anything else came in one or two styles say - cabinets, faucetts, handles.

Mine is NOT a small town, just economically challenged for many years a few back.

Walmart came in, and for this as a shopper I am a bit more glad. We can actually buy items without making an expedition or a full day trip. General basics, but no longer do we need to "trip" for the good items either. The clothing shops are returning, three now, they are great substitutes for Walmart, and they know it. People come in looking for an item, then go to one of these shops within the block area - all three are within about 100 yards from the Wally world entry. Car parts? same thing, two stores within 200 yards of Wally world, and an oil change and general repair and tire sales place right there. A new pharmacy 200 yards away.

No businesses closed in our city due to Wally World, and in fact the people that used to leave town in a nightly traffic jam to go 30 minutes "up the valley", now stay in town - first because some items became accessible, and then because other stores had the confidence to believe that people were not traveling as much.

All opened and all since Wally world came in.

A few of our remaining businesses that weathered the storm have profited as well, for now we also draw TO our city, and not just from within our city, which the draw within to keep people here was our first concern, and the hope this might occur was great as well. The normal "ebb and flow" of businesses still occurs, as 90% of independent biz shuts down in two years, but our rate is probably 50 to 60% right now, and we are actually restoring a downtown district with this confidence.

The "Upper Valley" stores and such are a bit irritated about this, especially the ones that opened on the end towards our city, believing that we would be as big a draw as the main city they are in would be.

In the Home Depot center, a cabinet maker has inquired about a spot for a store. The same guy has done this next to two other HD's. Says they draw business.

Wally world and such may not be the best for employees, they do have their faults.

I also wrote some things people may not want to hear, an this story is not the rule but an exception. Wal mart is no longer the "only game" in town, maybe like they wanted to be, but they did get a foothold back in our city for business, and created the first draw we had had in ten years for people to shop in our city, and to stop and look at other stores as well.

nheng
09-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Steve, Nice post and I feel your pain regarding 1/2 day for this, 1/2 day for that. We have a few more choices in Concord but sometimes they all start to look the same. And forget about machine tools, metals, other materials and real hardware. We're both in a machinery challenged state. If there were a Wal-mart of the machine world, I'd probably have a cot in one corner http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif
Den

[This message has been edited by nheng (edited 09-10-2004).]

Flash319
09-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Well there you have it. Every single town in North America is looking exactly the same! I live in ontario canada and when you go into any town they all look the same. Home depot here, Chapters there, Walmart here.............. I think I am going to be sick. Please pay the extra dollar for something at the local hardware store. The comunity will be much better off!!