PDA

View Full Version : need help selecting acid and rosin free grease

metalmagpie
09-22-2018, 01:42 PM
I am working on a machine which has a worm/pinion gear, the latter of which is made of brass. The manufacturer calls for acid and rosin free grease. This document was translated from German, thus is not guaranteed to use the best choice of words.

When I search for greases I find they are generally quite expensive and provide few technical details.

Can anyone help me out? I only need a teaspoonful or so. Just looking to buy a small tube.

metalmagpie

MattiJ
09-22-2018, 02:07 PM
I am working on a machine which has a worm/pinion gear, the latter of which is made of brass. The manufacturer calls for acid and rosin free grease. This document was translated from German, thus is not guaranteed to use the best choice of words.

When I search for greases I find they are generally quite expensive and provide few technical details.

Can anyone help me out? I only need a teaspoonful or so. Just looking to buy a small tube.

metalmagpie

Sounds like some historic specification.
Can you tell us more about the machine?
I'd use any grease that is compatible with brass, IE generic purpose lithium or calcium grease WITHOUT EP additives.

MattiJ
09-22-2018, 02:40 PM
Did a digging on old Google books search and most of the mentions in literature about "acid and rosin free grease" are about 100 years old.

Germans seem to still use this when they specify something but I guess its more of old habit?

MattiJ
09-23-2018, 01:59 AM
Further indirect proof that this would be just 100 year old German habit:

Wuerth(German company) seem to specify acid- and resin free for all of their greases:
https://eshop.wurth.ie/Product-categories/Lubricating-grease/3112300806.cyid/3112.cgid/en/GB/GBP/

These are just "normal" lubricating greases that I can buy here in Europe for something like a 4 dollars per catridge.

QSIMDO
09-23-2018, 10:53 AM
I think you mean to be looking for "RESIN" free grease.
Many chain lubes qualify; https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-96050515-Ultra-Chain-Grease/dp/B001KXIHFG

Oh, yeah, didn't see what Matt posted.