PDA

View Full Version : OT Stupid media catch phrases!

wierdscience
09-03-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm sure we have all heard them,my most recent favorites are (blond dingbat in a rain suit)hurricane Frances is expected to"slam" into Florida-

I have rode out three hurricanes,they don't "slam" into anything.

and Some citizens plan to "hunker down" and ride out the storm-

Take it from me,when its a cat 4 or 5 storm you either A drown B get out of town or C bend over and kiss your but goodbye,but not "hunker down"

vinito
09-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Maybe she's just subtly pleading with her producers to let her drop the camera and come back home.

BillH
09-03-2004, 09:38 PM
I hate the term "Gun Man" or the word "Rebel" to describe an islamic terrorist.

bobodu
09-03-2004, 11:10 PM
I'm sure glad that we don't have those hurricanes in Indiana.Can't imagine 500,000 ears of corn or 4 million bushels of soybeans hitting the house!
Even more off topic..Indiana offers a vanity license plate promoting enviromental awareness.Why do I see it most often on a 6500 lb.,seven mile a gallon,soccerball totin' SUV?

------------------
If nails are sold by the pound..why aren't screws sold by the turn?

Evan
09-03-2004, 11:34 PM
I can see where this is going... Free association..

Favorite custom license plate, owned by a urologist.

2PRNT2P

That is the question.

darryl
09-04-2004, 01:42 AM
I'm sure that 'hang in there' is also not the most sensible phrase. Or 'ride it out'- where to , out to sea? Or 'catch ya later'. Why, person gonna be commin at ya like a baseball? Drop in for a visit? Don't bother, the roof leaks enough already.
Dang, now I want to go look up stupid phrases.

Best of luck to those having to deal with the weather down there.

[This message has been edited by darryl (edited 09-04-2004).]

pete913
09-04-2004, 04:43 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darryl:
I'm sure that 'hang in there' is also not the most sensible phrase. Or 'ride it out'- where to , out to sea? Or 'catch ya later'. Why, person gonna be commin at ya like a baseball? Drop in for a visit? Don't bother, the roof leaks enough already.
Dang, now I want to go look up stupid phrases.

Best of luck to those having to deal with the weather down there.

[This message has been edited by darryl (edited 09-04-2004).]</font>

He He. One phrase that's always completely baffled me is " waitin on" something or someone. If you're waitin ON it, it's obviously already there, so why wait? Another is people who insist on calling a lathe a "lay", sheesh. Another one is "real time". As opposed to unreal time I guess. Good luck to Florida.

[This message has been edited by pete913 (edited 09-04-2004).]

John Stevenson
09-04-2004, 05:08 AM
The one that make me smile is when someone is in hospital and the statement says they are "Poorly"

Hell poorly is when you are home with a cold or such like, not being in intensive care hooked up to 17 million dollars of high tech equipment

------------------
John S.
Nottingham, England

wierdscience
09-04-2004, 08:49 AM
Then there is always this one

"Witnesses say the man was emotionaly unstable"

Geeeee,I guess so,that might explain why he just shot everybody at work.

J Tiers
09-04-2004, 09:38 AM
The catch phrases are actually very powerful....

A subtle change from "terrorists" to a more sympathetic label such as "insurgents" to use an Iraq example, can actually move public opinion.

Change the label and change the perception. Repeat as needed until conversion is complete.

Kinda like the fact that if one of us were to make a finely crafted steam engine, and drive a houseboat with it....

If there was ever any reason for it to be mentioned in the media due to a problem, you know what the term would be.......

"A home-made" steam engine........!

Faugh.

elbryant
09-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Another phrase that gripes me is "wealthy aircraft owners." It's never used without the wealthy, giving the impression that everybody who flys is somhow rolling in it and undeserving of any regard. It made it loads easier for Mayor Daley to tear up Miegs field in the middle of the night. Besides that, all these guys that used to tow signs around ballgames have lost their shirts with the hysteria around airplanes since 9/11.

spkrman15
09-04-2004, 10:18 AM
I can do with out the expression "MY Bad!"

Rob http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

gizmo2
09-04-2004, 11:02 AM
'weapons of mass destruction' is the phrase that frosts my gonads. However, slightly modified, I had it lasered on an ink pen, making it a "weapon of mass confusion" Much better.

Brian_h
09-04-2004, 11:09 AM
"at this point in time" and other similar point less phrases. They couldn't possibly just say, "at this time", and have everybody understand it. Also the word "depress" as used in "to start the machine depress the start button". When did the word "press" become obsolete? and have these people looked up the meaning of the prefix "de" lately.

stiven
09-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Why can't I "have my cake and eat it too"? If it's MY cake, why can't I eat it? Imagine your birthday party where you couldn't eat any of your cake....

Paul Alciatore
09-04-2004, 12:47 PM
The one I love is the standard cashier greeting, "Did you find everything all right?" or "... OK?"

At first I was a bit confused. Did he/she really expect me to inspect everything in the store? Am I being paid for this service? Will he/she really report any problems I discovered? Will anyone actually do anything about them?

I usually respond, "Yes, I checked everything in the store. There are five dented cans on isles two, three, and five and two open boxes of cereal on six. There is a bad floor tile in isle one. The selection is wanting and the prices are at least ten percent too high."

I love the blank stares. They don't realize that I actually answered the question that they asked. World's stupidest question.

As for the media, I have worked in seven TV stations. IMHO the news people were the least intelligent in the building. The weather guys/gals are usually OK and the sports people are better than those doing news. Had an anchor person in Miami who literally could not set his digital watch. A proper understanding of the English language is definitely NOT a requirement. About the time they start to learn anything, they aren't a pretty face anymore and they get demoted. Truth and accuracy is rarely a concern.

Paul A.

vinito
09-04-2004, 01:32 PM
How 'bout those abbreviations that they always feel they have to explain, so why abbr. (abbreviate) in the first place?
You never get the first half without hearing the second. Secret media Law?
Just off the top of my head:

"REM sleep, Rapid Eye Movement sleep"
"HIV, the virus that causes AIDS" (If I've been in a cave and have never heard of HIV, then what the hell is AIDS?) http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif
"This is N.P.R. National Public Radio"

Then there's the companies that forgot what their abbreviation means and repeat themselves:

"SBC Southwestern Bell" - Soutwestern Bell Communications Southwestern Bell?
"UMB Bank" - United Missouri Bank Bank? (Local bank. Their logo actually reads this)

...ad infinitum

[This message has been edited by vinito (edited 09-04-2004).]

motorworks
09-04-2004, 07:44 PM
The phrases that drives me are:
"Grass Roots..."
"We're planning to do a study..."
"Your check is in the mail..."

wierdscience
09-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Oh and least we forget some of the designed for distraction turn your stomach stories.

I am fairly confident that if tommorow the entire eastern seaboard is left in ruins,if a giant asteroid killed off a third of the human race.or aliens land have no fear,you will STILL hear about Scott F---ing Petersen!

Like he is the first guy in the long history of man to have an affair and kill his old lady,BFD!

darryl
09-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Einstein must have not seen it- this could have changed the whole theory. 'In the nick of time'. Who'da thunk there was a nick in time?

Evan
09-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Good movie though...

PSD KEN
09-04-2004, 08:55 PM
AND: by the field reporter; "Back to you".
I doubt if the average newscaster can tie his (her) own shoes, utterly clueless about everything,simply stumble through a press release.,

J Tiers
09-04-2004, 09:48 PM
"Studies show"........

What studies? Done where? By who? Published where? Refereed by who, Pons, or someone reputable?

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 09-04-2004).]

Evan
09-05-2004, 01:38 AM
Once upon a time I was repairing a fax machine in the press room of the British Columbia Legislature. A reporter came in and raised his voice to get the attention of the dozen or so other reporters in the room. When it quieted down he pressed "play" on his hand tape recorder. It was the comments of one of the ministers of the government of the day. That minister said something along the lines of "Well, we have comissioned a study to study the results of the study about the study we studied. When the study has been studied we will release the study for study."

There was general hooting and laughter. Then, the reporter said, "I can't use this, it will make him look like an idiot".

He was entirely correct. I'm not making this up, I was there...

Joel
09-05-2004, 02:00 AM
And the car went out of control.
Or, the gun went off.

Really, did it now? Bull$h%#!

How about people being proclaimed a "hero" because some misfortune has befallen them and they happen to have survived. I believe that this used to be called ‘being a victim’.

sauer38h
09-05-2004, 06:13 AM
I can do without the assertion that any metal "cuts like butter."

codyb
09-05-2004, 07:57 AM
Favorite custom license plate, owned by a urologist.

Local (San Luis Obispo)urologist had a custom plate on his truck "SLO DICK" His name was not "Richard" His wife wouldn't ride in the truck!
A 1956 F100

John Stevenson
09-05-2004, 08:14 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sauer38h:
I can do without the assertion that any metal "cuts like butter."</font>

Similar one is the observation that although we use steel as the basis of most of out work and iron is reserved for castings and special needs criminals are exempt from this rule.

All to often you read of criminals wielding iron bars.

I find iron in bar form hard to get, perhaps I should try the criminal gangs instead of metal dealers ??
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

------------------
John S.
Nottingham, England

J Tiers
09-05-2004, 10:26 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:

All to often you read of criminals wielding iron bars.

I find iron in bar form hard to get, perhaps I should try the criminal gangs instead of metal dealers ??
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
</font>
Now, then, calm down.

Remember, if it is common "mild steel" bar, it is probably at least 97% iron, with whatever impurities were in the scrap, plus a bit of carbon.

In fact, there is ALMOST CERTAINLY LESS IRON in "cast iron" than there is in mild steel.

So a cast iron bar would be less describable as "iron" than a piece of mild steel. The names you (we) call these things are, of course, quite wrong.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 09-05-2004).]

PSD KEN
09-05-2004, 09:19 PM
I've often wondered why the reporter has to stand out in the sand/rain/snow, etc while uttering words to the effect "tis' storming".
Today a herd of the 1/4 wits were standing in the 90 mph winds, making inane comments about the storm.

wierdscience
09-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Ya like "the wind is really whipping up" What will they say when they are made into human shiskabobs by a flying 2x4.

I also love the subtle bias in news articles and "human interest stories"

Like healthcare,notice how they always use the word "crisis" when doing a story on healthcare? Its meant to sound like were in the middle of freakin Africa and there are no doctors or hospitals anywhere.

Rich Carlstedt
09-05-2004, 10:16 PM
I think all these reporters in Florida are really radio reporters..Particularly when the Camera is panning the scene and the reporters say (while in their rain slickers)
" It's raining here and the water has flooded the streets"
Amazing ! Its a Hurricane..did they expect snow....or maybeI have a fish bowl for a television Screen

vinito
09-06-2004, 01:55 AM
I saw Dan Rather trying to stand up in the wind down there. He was swaying and making a show of the effort it took to stand up straight, but I swear I saw people behind him easily walking by like they were just going to the office.

I would have believed him though, if a cow suddenly came flying out of nowhere and landed on top of him.

darryl
09-06-2004, 02:05 AM
'it was blowing like the dickens' - the dickens must have been pretty good blowers--

tonydacrow
09-06-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm getting tired of "zany, mad-cap adventures." Ever notice that it can't be zany without also being mad-cap? And none of it works unless it's also an adventure.

On a more serious note, what the hell was the US Army thinking of when they came up with the slogan "an army of one." If there's only one of you, you're not an army; you're a mercenary, a thug, or dead -- depending on the circumstances (and whether or not you try to come into my house)!

kneislyd
09-06-2004, 10:28 AM
Since moving to SC 8 years ago, I've noticed that every time the news reports a story about a young man involved a (pick one: shooting, assault, car chase, burgulary, rape etc.) the news reporters always find an old lady, usually related, with an astonished look uttering the phrase 'but he was a good boy'. The newspapers do this too, but without the astonished look. It is usually more effective when they report that the 'good boy' has a long record with the law just before they trot out the old lady.
Drives me nuts.

wierdscience
09-06-2004, 07:14 PM
And I swear if I hear "Born to be wild" played to advertise one more Walt Disney cartoon I'm gonna chunk a brick through the tv.

I was subjected to Brandon Fraiser in "Dudley Dowright" last evening,worst movie ever,why?Not because the movie was down right stupid,but because there it was again,Born to be wild right in the freaking middle.And celeberties wonder why they get stalked http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Ausserdog
09-07-2004, 01:42 PM
My least favorite expression is about cars with XXXXX "original miles". Don't know of too many cars with replacement miles!

Don't get me started about the (in)accuracy of the media (TV, radio or printed).

spope14
09-07-2004, 03:30 PM
New England is very interesting for phrases in the media and such.

"Wicked" means "cool"
"Wicked Bad" means real cool

A bulkhead had me real confused, being from the landlocked west all of my life before here. I never understood why a home would have a bulkhead, which in my mind was a watertight door between holds on a ship. A bulkhead in New Hampshire is th outer door to a cellar.

I came to New Hampshire, and ll of these little food markets, convience stores and little restaurants had signs that said "Grinders". I thought I was very close to some machine manufacturer, seeing all the stores sold or had grinders. No problem getting tools sharpened. But alas, a grinder is the equal of a subway sandwich.

Evan
09-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Related media stupidity:

Someone important winds up in the hospital and they send a reporter to stand in front of the hospital to tell you about it. They don't ever go inside or interview anyone, they just stand there and talk. Does this make the report more valid or meaningful somehow?

tonydacrow
09-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Spope,

Don't forget wicked pisser (pronounced wickid pissuh). It's even better than wicked bad!

[This message has been edited by tonydacrow (edited 09-07-2004).]

Artpro
09-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Most of the media types graduated from the "Department of Redundency Department" with an advanced degree in "Throw the horse over the fence some hay"

Artpro
09-07-2004, 04:53 PM
Scope14. What kind of tonic do you like to drink? Also used in New Hampshire--but then, I left there in 1960.

gundog
09-07-2004, 05:22 PM
One of the dumbest things I have ever heard said on TV. I have worked a lot of wind storms in my days as a lineman when working for PG&E in Ca. one of the company media people made the coment "that we had trees blow down in this storm that had never blown down before". That belongs with the hears your sign hell does he think after each storm they go and stand them back up.

About a year ago while working for the company I work for now we have a media dept that usually will stand outside of the headquarters building and do interviews during storms. The person giving the info usually knows less than the person giving the interview. They will usually make a real dumb statement such as we had a jumper cord come unplugged. I have yet to just plug a jumper in.
Mike

Weston Bye
09-07-2004, 09:21 PM
The news "talent" is describing an idylic situation, then "..when something went terribly wrong." As opposed to what? Nicely wrong? A little bit wrong? Of course not, if that were so, it wouldn't be much of a story. Another that comes to mind is the expression "brutal rape". Is there any other kind?

Seems that some words in the media have been permanently joined at the hip, sort of a siamese cliche. You can't use one without the other, and seems more common now than in the past.

Weston Bye

PSD KEN
09-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Re Dan Rather: After the Quake in San Fran, he showed up in Limo. Dismounted, yanked tie askew, mussed hair, ready for camera. " Look at ME, i've been at it all night!"
As for reporters standing in front of hospital, courthouse, etc.
I enjoy watching various celebraties entering Court, but vexed when they come out. (W/O cuffs)

TARHEEL
09-07-2004, 10:51 PM
One of my favorites is "ground up restoration".
Are you going to grind it up?

tonydacrow
09-08-2004, 09:42 AM
But wait, there's more!

I hate it when you listen to the late night commercials and they tell you that you're going to get the latest, newfangled dodad -- all for the fantasticly low price of (fill in the overpriced blank) and then excitedly announce "But wait, there's more!

Gary Helmick
09-08-2004, 11:00 AM
The phrase I most dispise is, "The Right Thing to Do" and the second one is "For the Children".
Who are they to tell me it is " the right thing to do"? Or for that matter, "the right thing to do for my children".
Rant over.
Gary Helmick

topct
09-08-2004, 11:15 AM
"Minor surgery"

dvideo
09-08-2004, 12:05 PM
We're a jaded bunch in the US...

In a lot of countries, they have no filters at all for the BS that gets spewed (:&gt; ).

Albania nearly went busted over MMM. In Germany, I saw every tired old Ronco & Ginsu knife comerical you can imagine.

I guess it is a big part of why propoganda works so well in some places.

At least our BS filters work part way.

--jr

The One True Bob
09-08-2004, 04:11 PM
My top three:

Political activists that use the Marg Meade quote regarding 'a small group of people changing the world/nation' because (insert sniveling rightous smug liberal nasel voice here) "its the only thing that ever has". The US is a Democracy. Theoretically, change comes by majority vote -not because some strident special interest group who yells louder and longer.

"Even one [such incident] is too much". (Especially when used to justify spending tons of money to prevent a humans from acting in a way that even a newt would instinctively recognize as being potentially hazardous to one's health.]

"Ok. This is the truth. Now I'm being honest." [Trans: Hold onto your shorts -- I've had time to think about *this* lie, unlike the one you just uncovered, and I think it'll stick.]

And them are just a few of my favs.

ACF
09-08-2004, 09:00 PM
"FOR SALE BY OWNER"

Really???

darryl
09-08-2004, 09:45 PM
"and there you have it". What have I got, gingivitus?

George Hodge
09-08-2004, 09:50 PM
I;ve been hunting all over for 'By and large',Found extra large,medium,etc.

wierdscience
09-08-2004, 10:42 PM
"Honest D.Pete" who is this Pete and what makes him so Honest?

"You just wait till your father comes home" Really!What is he bring me?

matador
09-09-2004, 01:12 AM
Pet hate of the year:current obsession with "reality"shows(tv).Reality????

wierdscience
09-09-2004, 08:30 AM
You mean"the Survivor-bachlor-fearfactor-Amisheye-for the straightguy-greatrace-who wants to marry a millionaire-simple life"Trend is getting to you? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Can't stand them either.

I also have a hatred for all the cop,judge,lawyer,forensics shows.

I counted 13 on at once the other night.
Lets see,we have Law and Order,Law and Order svu,Law and order something else this season.Then we have CSI,CSI Miami CSI New York,Navy Nics.
Then NYPD,Third watch,The practice,geezz everybody either is or wants to be a lawyer or judge.

I think the media execs ran out of ideas back about 1960 and it shows,same thing with movies.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 09-09-2004).]

Allan Waterfall
09-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Why is it I get mail telling me I've won a major prize.

Why can't they just send me the prize ?

Allan

Evan
09-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Here you go Allan:

http://vts.bc.ca/img/fgt.jpg

In the advertising campaign they state "In what gear do realise that nothing can catch you?"

Oh yeah? I assume they don't mean trying to outrun the Motorolas....

Evan
09-10-2004, 02:25 PM
NASA administrator Sean O'Keefe said Wednesday (Sep 9-04) re space shuttle repair estimates:

"We're getting a lot closer, that's for sure," O'Keefe said. "I don't see any new unknowns coming down the road."

Sigh. Sorta like the psychic convention delayed due to unforseen circumstances.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 09-10-2004).]

wierdscience
09-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Pick any sport,ask any athlete and you get the same answer- "So,it was a really close game tonight"? Athlete-"Ya,we were down at first,but we just kept on going,its a real team effort and it shows what practice and determination can achieve,we held out hope and pushed ahead to win tonight and I would like to thank my coach and my fellow team mates for allowing me to take my place in the history of"--Football,basketball,hockey,soccer, etc,etc, Its like a form letter http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 09-11-2004).]

zl1byz
09-11-2004, 11:13 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by matador:
Pet hate of the year:current obsession with "reality"shows(tv).Reality????</font>

Couldn't agree more! They really suck, the sooner they are binned the better.