PDA

View Full Version : PAM Olive Oil Cooking Spray

Bob La Londe
10-23-2018, 01:11 PM
I installed a new stove a couple weeks ago in the house. It was no big deal. The most stressful part was making sure it was jetted and regulated for LP gas instead of natural gas. I left off (a woefully short) back splash because I plan to make a nice one that is actually tall enough to keep grease and cooking spatter off the wall. Well of course SWMBO didn't care for that much. She wanted that little back splash installed until I get a round to-it.

Yesterday I went ahead and tackled that. Its got pre drilled holes and thumb screws. Sadly the holes were not tapped. Out to the shop for a tap handle and an M4-.7 tap then back at it. Oops. Forgot the tapping fluid, and I could feel the stainless starting to gall as I tried to start the tap. Rather than walk back out to the shop I hit the tap with a shot of olive l cooking spray and it worked. Maybe not as impressively as Tap-Magic tapping fluid but good enough to tap a couple holes in some stainless sheet.

BCRider
10-23-2018, 01:15 PM
Yep, animal and vegetable fats do just fine at stuff like this. The downside is that over some weeks time they gel up and become sticky from oxidizing. Or the animal fats like bacon grease or beef tallow in the shop will attract lots of unwanted critters.

JoeLee
10-23-2018, 06:15 PM
Tapping stainless sheet........ this one has me scratching my head. How thick was the sheet???

JL...................

JoeLee
10-23-2018, 06:16 PM
Yep, animal and vegetable fats do just fine at stuff like this. The downside is that over some weeks time they gel up and become sticky from oxidizing. Or the animal fats like bacon grease or beef tallow in the shop will attract lots of unwanted critters. Just watch out for ones that may contain salt, your tools won't like it.

JL.............

Bob La Londe
10-23-2018, 08:24 PM
Tapping stainless sheet........ this one has me scratching my head. How thick was the sheet???

JL...................

Thicker than paper, thinner than plate.

Lee Cordochorea
10-23-2018, 10:08 PM
Our safety officer had a bit of difficulty a few years back getting an MSDS (called SDS these days) for our high-dollar works-every-time tapping fluid. The one-and-only ingredient? Extra thick vegetable oil!

darryl
10-24-2018, 12:44 AM
Is this another example of where a natural substance proves to be the right stuff to use? What's another natural thing that already works sort of this way- inter-vertebral fluid? I don't even know what's in there, but it must be pretty good at resisting high pressures. Considering everything I guess it would be pretty expensive though. I'm not ready to donate mine-

flylo
10-24-2018, 04:44 AM
We used Pam over 40 years ago to spray on the rims of motocross bikes to shed the mud that would build up, worked great.

QSIMDO
10-24-2018, 11:48 AM
Jungle Jim Liberman used Pam too!

BCRider
10-24-2018, 12:53 PM
We used Pam over 40 years ago to spray on the rims of motocross bikes to shed the mud that would build up, worked great.

A buddy recently told me he uses Pam on the underside of his lawn mower deck to keep the grass from building up. I'll have to scrape away the bushel or so of grass to try that. But similar idea to keeping the mud from building up.

40 years ago, eh? Remember the old Akront rims with the inward facing edges that stiffened up the rims? Worked EXCELLENT for holding all sorts of mud that the riders didn't want ! ! ! ! :D

lugnut
10-24-2018, 01:08 PM
I use a Bar-B-Q grill spray which is similar to Pam on the nozzle of my Mig welder as an anti splatter spray.. much less expensive and works great.

panamaguy
10-25-2018, 10:33 PM
with the photos of her at the starting line it is a wonder he could keep his mine on racing

10-25-2018, 11:15 PM
I doubt it....he already knew what she looked like without clothes.
We had to wonder, he did not...

Royldean
10-26-2018, 07:40 AM

I guess the NASCAR guys spray the front ends of cars with pam to keep tire debris from sticking... or at least they did back in the 90's when I was still fooled into thinking NASCAR was "high tech". I hear they actually use fuel injection, now....

Dave C
10-26-2018, 08:18 PM
with the photos of her at the starting line it is a wonder he could keep his mine on racing
What photos??

QSIMDO
10-27-2018, 11:41 AM
I doubt it....he already knew what she looked like without clothes.
We had to wonder, he did not...

Sure as hell didn't have to wonder very much!
When she bent over to look under the car you could see everything but her blood pressure.