PDA

View Full Version : SouthBend Heavy10 Gears Give Away running on Instagram and Facebook

Zahnrad Kopf
10-27-2018, 02:07 PM
We are having a GiveAway on Instagram and Facebook.
If you are interested, you can check either our Instagram page, or the SouthBend Lathe Facebook group.

http://Instagram.com/AmericanMachineAndGear

http://Facebook.com/groups/100145810154009

JRouche
10-27-2018, 09:52 PM
Hang on a second nimrod. What the heck is it you are posting. A click-penny page.

No thanks man!! JR

Zahnrad Kopf
10-27-2018, 10:08 PM
Hang on a second nimrod. What the heck is it you are posting. A click-penny page.
No thanks man!! JR

:confused: :confused:
I admit that I have no idea of how you might know whether or not I'm a hunter.
I will also admit to not knowing what a "click-penny page" is, but I posted a free giveaway.

No one is twisting your arm to take a set of free gears. Have a great night.

PStechPaul
10-27-2018, 11:38 PM
A free giveaway should be just that - giving something away to the first caller. The Instagram link is a page with multiple pictures of all sorts of things, including (maybe) the SB gears "giveaway". The Facebook page has a post explaining that you have to "like" the post and "follow" the feed, as well as other requirements, in order to be entered into a random lottery for a set of gears. Yeah, it's "clickbait" for sure.

alanganes
10-28-2018, 12:06 AM
Wow tough crowd. :)

You don't actually have to do anything, they are just links to his company Facebook and Instagram pages, in fact it says as much in the title. By the way, both are filled with fine examples of the machinists art, lots of cool stuff to look at. I don't happen to need any SB gears so won't be trying to win any in a drawing but followed the pages anyhow for the same reason I come to poke around here, I like reading about machinist stuff.

tom_d
10-28-2018, 12:27 AM

Are you saying that in your best Rodney Dangerfield voice?

Yes, there are some great photos of some good looking stuff he's making. Definitely worth checking out. As for the gear giveaway, I'm not a member of the Instagram or Facebook crowd, and I'm not sure that I want to be.

Zahnrad Kopf
10-28-2018, 01:37 PM
A free giveaway should be just that - giving something away to the first caller. The Instagram link is a page with multiple pictures of all sorts of things, including (maybe) the SB gears "giveaway". The Facebook page has a post explaining that you have to "like" the post and "follow" the feed, as well as other requirements, in order to be entered into a random lottery for a set of gears. Yeah, it's "clickbait" for sure.

With all due respect, one still needs get off their arse and actually _make_ the phone call. This very much is the modern equivalency of that. "Liking" a picture takes even less effort. As for following the feed, it's fairly common knowledge that the vast majority of people will do so to satisfy the entry into a giveaway, and then immediately after, unfollow. Not much different than actually bothering to actually "listen" to that radio station.

Still... I fully support people's right to not desire to play. I get it. Truth be told, I don't partake of the activity, either. No desire to. However, what I do strongly disagree with is the suggestion of it being "click bait". To me, "click bait" infers that someone is being enticed into clicking a link by being baited with something desirable for the sole purpose of having something garnered or taken from them unwillingly or unknowingly. And to suggest as much about this is simply untrue. You've left no information for us to use, and we don't even contact you unless you win. So, object and abstain all you want, but I'll thank you to not make assumptions, nor cast false aspersions in public.

We simply wanted to thank a segment of a community by giving away something useful to them. No more. No less.

Have a good day.

You don't actually have to do anything, they are just links to his company Facebook and Instagram pages, in fact it says as much in the title. By the way, both are filled with fine examples of the machinists art, lots of cool stuff to look at. I don't happen to need any SB gears so won't be trying to win any in a drawing but followed the pages anyhow for the same reason I come to poke around here, I like reading about machinist stuff.

Hahaha. Yeah... Thanks. And some people complain about Practical Machinist being a tough crowd... :rolleyes: LOL. It's okay. I'm not looking to convert anyone and honestly don't care if someone wishes to abstain. Everyone's got their reasons and comfort levels. We are actually going to be having a few of these spanning a few different machines. So, hopefully people can find something they can appreciate. If not, no harm, no foul.

Are you saying that in your best Rodney Dangerfield voice?
Yes, there are some great photos of some good looking stuff he's making. Definitely worth checking out. As for the gear giveaway, I'm not a member of the Instagram or Facebook crowd, and I'm not sure that I want to be.

It's funny. I felt the same way a few years back. Truth be told, I still don't grok the Facety Bookety thing. Sorry. Just don't. Fact is that the pictures are on Facebook simply because Instagram posts them there at the same time. But Instagram I like because it's a really simple and easy way to not only store pictures of things we make ( when they can be shown ), but also share them with like minded people easily. As well, I can easily view pictures of things that others are making, too. I do enjoy that.

reggie_obe
10-28-2018, 02:03 PM

How about your signature line? Could that be clickbait?
A person can set the terms of his giveaway, any way he chooses.

10-28-2018, 02:17 PM
First off Zahnrad (love the name) , for doing this it's awesome.
You can maybe add a bit of info like, look at our page and email us to enter, sort of thing.
I totally get it you are a gearmaker, and good at it.. not a website promotions man.
Thanks for helping out and sharing.

I have a 9 inch SouthBend, no quickchange, do these fit ?

Zahnrad Kopf
10-28-2018, 04:20 PM
First off Zahnrad (love the name) , for doing this it's awesome.
You can maybe add a bit of info like, look at our page and email us to enter, sort of thing.
I totally get it you are a gearmaker, and good at it.. not a website promotions man.
Thanks for helping out and sharing.
I have a 9 inch SouthBend, no quickchange, do these fit ?

No need for thanks. Seriously. It is truly our pleasure. We have been so blessed, it really is just a way to say "thank you". ( there are more coming )

Those in the giveaway do not fit the 9 inchers. However, we are actively working to make sets available for 9's, 13's, & 16's due to so many people inquiring about them. I have a little more R&D to do before I give the approval to release them, and will more than likely have a giveaway to announce each of their releases. Feel free to write me directly or even check in on our social media pages for announcements related to them. And, thank you.

10-28-2018, 04:23 PM
I wil, try to email your company re some motrcycle angle drive magneto gears.
Looking thru your pics, looks like you have done them or similar.
Wil send something in a few days. Thanks

Zahnrad Kopf
10-28-2018, 07:42 PM
I wil, try to email your company re some motrcycle angle drive magneto gears.
Looking thru your pics, looks like you have done them or similar.
Wil send something in a few days. Thanks

Yes. We likely have. Thanks.

On a related note, the giveaway ended as scheduled and due to the dismal participation,
we decided to reward everyone that participated with a free set of SouthBend 10L Silent Reversing Gears.
Seemed like the right thing to do.

More and larger giveaways to come...

Alan Smith
10-29-2018, 03:44 AM
Well, if nothing else it gave me a reason to have a look at your Instagram photos! Some lovely work there to be sure.

All the best

Alan

Tony907
10-29-2018, 04:39 AM
I saw this before there were any replies to it. I don't have any social media accounts, and I didn't feel like starting one when I saw it. Every time I see a "enter to win" or "click here to win", you know there's a catch. If anything you know that the host stands to make more off of the information acquired then the value of what they are giving away. I would rather pay good money for something I actually want then to hope for something I think I need. To me, this is worst then someone with 1 post trying to send traffic to another site to make money.

It's only my opinion, but I think that this stuff should be above "selling" on the priority list and therefore banned.

You really want to help someone out? Find someone asking about the gears, and quietly give them away. Because right now....what you are doing seems anything other then noble.

Zahnrad Kopf
10-29-2018, 07:46 PM
I saw this before there were any replies to it. I don't have any social media accounts, and I didn't feel like starting one when I saw it. Every time I see a "enter to win" or "click here to win", you know there's a catch.

What exactly is the catch in what we did? I feel that if you are going to publicly cast false aspersions, you should have the courage of your convictions to ( at the very least ) speak plainly and with enough intestinal fortitude to be specific.

If anything you know that the host stands to make more off of the information acquired then the value of what they are giving away.

Allow me to correct that for you. You ASSUME that the we stand to make more off the information you ASSUMED we acquire, than the value of what we were giving away. And then, after having made erroneous assumptions, made a conscious decision to publicly post FUD and conjecture about it.

Fact of the matter is that you leave no information, and we gain no information. Plain and simple. Unless, ( of course ) you win. In which case you would need to supply some manner of address for the gears to be sent to. Of course, you could avoid that by simply picking them up in person, too. So, in total - no information required. And, to be perfectly clear - we don't even keep the shipping address of the winner after the shipment is received. Of course, all of this is rather moot, as it is plain that you are not a winner.

Still yet, if you have ever purchased anything online, then you have given away multitudes of information that is commonly accepted has been sold several times over. So, one might be correct in pointing out the hypocrisy of such a position.

However, don't let reality and the truth get in your way. I'd hate to confuse you with the facts.

It's only my opinion,

On that, you are decidedly correct!

You really want to help someone out? Find someone asking about the gears, and quietly give them away. Because right now....what you are doing seems anything other then noble.

Exactly why do you assume that this has not already occurred? Is it because it has not been advertised or spoken about? That would defeat the whole purpose of doing so. Would it not? Seems as if one is damned if they do and damed if they don't, with you.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. You are also relatively new to the forum, so one might think it excusable and blow it off as ignorant blowhardiness.

However, what I would like to know is why someone with so few posts ( and an evident inability to think before they accuse ) would not think to consider that someone might actually be acting in good faith, and maybe actually take a look through the history of the person within this forum that they seek to accuse, much less perform the due dilligence any reasonable person might expect before making such a wild accusation. If they had, maybe they would even find that the person had given away useful items, free of charge or conditions to several others on this very board, several times in the past over the years. They might even find that it was done and received in good faith.

Of course, I can understand that doing so might demand some manner of actual skillful reason and the application of a modicum respect. Something in seemingly short supply around here, of late.

I have to admit... You and your commrades had me beginning to question the value of this forum's populace for the benefit of such acts in the future. ( Why would anyone wish to benefit a lot of such rotten disposition? ) But then again, why should anyone allow such petty and small minded trolls to ruin it for everyone else, much less myself? ( Yes, I do take some pleasure in being able to help another at times. ) Rather, I think we will continue doing what we have done through the years all along, and be comforted by the obvious fact that it bothers and/or concerns you. Maybe next time you might even find yourself the one that benefits from it. Oh, the confliction...

Spoiler alert - there are more giveaways in the pipeline. There is also more to be plainly given away to members on this forum, solely. So, you may as well get used to the idea. Or not.

Cheers. Have a good day, in spite of yourself.

Jim Stewart
10-29-2018, 10:03 PM
I've been active on the internet since before it was public. I've seen many pissing matches.

Zahnrad, I just can't believe the abuse you've received over this generous exercise. Well, no - that's not true. See first paragraph.

Oh, yes: "How did you know I was a hunter?" ZING! :p

3 Phase Lightbulb
10-30-2018, 10:43 AM
What are the odds of someone winning your giveaway? Is it 1 in 1012 ? If so, then there is a very good chance someone can win! Right-on!

Zahnrad Kopf
10-30-2018, 11:11 AM
What are the odds of someone winning your giveaway? Is it 1 in 1012 ? If so, then there is a very good chance someone can win! Right-on!

Better than that, to be sure. At this moment, and using Instagram as an example, we have only 5400 people following the feed. So, if all of them wanted to participate, that would be 1 in 5400. However, not all of them have SouthBends, or know some one with a SouthBend. So it is actually much better odds for you. In this case, we had but three people sign up. Turns out, I picked a dismal weekend to do it and had not considered that most people would not get notice of it for running around with Halloween activities. We received a ton of emails on Monday saying as much and asking when the next time would be that we offered them in a giveaway. Since we did have the three, I made the decision to award each of them a set. Seemed like the right thing to do.

JRouche
10-30-2018, 01:19 PM
:confused: :confused:
I admit that I have no idea of how you might know whether or not I'm a hunter.
I will also admit to not knowing what a "click-penny page" is, but I posted a free giveaway.

No one is twisting your arm to take a set of free gears. Have a great night.

Yeah, Im sorry. I get a lil sketchy when I see links to social media. And because I didnt recognizer your name. Good on ya for helping others out. JR

Peter.
10-30-2018, 02:09 PM
I'm on instagram and could certainly do with a set but I didn't put myself forward because I felt the postage would have been a bit of a liberty. Once it's back rebuilt I may buy a set.

Zahnrad Kopf
10-30-2018, 02:17 PM
I've been active on the internet since before it was public. I've seen many pissing matches.
Zahnrad, I just can't believe the abuse you've received over this generous exercise. Well, no - that's not true. See first paragraph.
Oh, yes: "How did you know I was a hunter?" ZING! :p

Thanks, Jim. I appreciate the support. I do have to admit that I found it extremely bizarre. The old sawkept running through my head - "No good deed goes unpunished." Ha!

Yeah, Im sorry. I get a lil sketchy when I see links to social media. And because I didnt recognizer your name. Good on ya for helping others out. JR

I appreciate your saying so. May I ask if you actually bothered to read the links/pages, or did you simply object out of hand? I ask, because if there was something in my text on the pages themselves that would lead someone to come away with that impression, then I would wish to change it for future giveaways in effort to avoid someone concluding similarly. ( admittedly, this forum is the only place that this occurred )

Thanks.

Zahnrad Kopf
10-30-2018, 02:24 PM
I'm on instagram and could certainly do with a set but I didn't put myself forward because I felt the postage would have been a bit of a liberty. Once it's back rebuilt I may buy a set.

Thank you, Pete. I appreciate the support. For reference, these will likely be MUCH less to ship than the last shipment to you. The weight difference alone should make a huge difference. LOL. ( the whole package is less than a Kilogram. ) I think the last time was about 7 Kilograms? Cheers.

George Bulliss
10-30-2018, 03:57 PM
Well, I really don’t want to close this thread, but this crap has got to stop. I saw this thread when it first popped up and didn’t have a problem with it and have yet to see anything that would change my mind.

Yes, the thread does send people to a company’s Facebook page, but I don’t see it as an underhanded attempt to advertise, as the OP went out of his way to provide the chance to win something of value. If you don’t like contests or don’t like social media, that’s fine, but no reason to go on the offensive.

I hear from people frequently, asking to close their accounts and it’s behavior like this that is the reason. Driving people away is kind of the opposite of what I’m after with the BBS. Unfortunately, I’ve been shorthanded lately in the moderation department and have been a little lax but that doesn't mean it's a free for all.

I’ve deleted the last post and don’t want to see any more like it.

Tony907
10-30-2018, 04:32 PM
So I guess personal insults and sarcasm are acceptable as long as they come from an established member or a manufacturer. Noted.

Zahnrad Kopf
10-30-2018, 05:54 PM
George,

Thank you for the consideration. I appreciate it very much. I do very much understand that this is a balancing act and try to make sure that I maintain the correct side of the rope to stay on.

To further clarify something for someone else, I don't pretend to speak for George or even have any insight into his personal motivations, but I can say that assumptions about our shop are fairly well off base, and clearly unfounded. Fact of the matter is that I have been on this board almost as long as it's been in existence, albeit under a different user name prior to 2010-ish. I lost the details to it in a PC crash and simply created a new name to continue on.

I found this board after having been active on rec.crafts.metalworking, back in the day, and the fact of it all is that I started out in exactly the same way as most, here - a hobby machinist. You see, this is not just my vocation. It is very much as well my avocation. I started out with a RongFu mill/drill and a POS no name bench lathe. In a friend's carport because I didn't even have my own.

As for our "business", we are not nearly the entity some people like to assume. It's not MegaCorp. We're a Mom'n'Pop shop, currently crammed into less space than 95% might consider to hazard a guess so low about. There are a number of board members here that have stopped by in person that might even attest to this. Some, I have come to think of as good acquaintances. A couple more are even called friends. We've been blessed enough to continue growing and as we upgrade instruments, tooling, and accessories I choose to hand them on to others because I know what it's like to be in those shoes. Plain and simple. Sure, I could bin them or sell them on eBay, but I've gotten to meet and even befriend some really great people along the way by doing so. If that makes me selfish, so be it. Guilty.

Bottom line? I am an American, in CONUS America. No one is shooting at me. I've a roof over my head. My belly's full. Life is good. So why not help out when one can?

With that, I'm moving on from this thread. Unsubbing from it and won't check it. Have a nice day...

mattthemuppet
10-30-2018, 07:45 PM
damn you Zahnrad for talking beautiful pictures of machined stuff and providing yet ANOTHER distraction to stop me from grading papers. How dare you?

funnily enough I never looked at this thread as I don't have a Southbend and thought "huh, that's cool, don't have a SB so I'll skip that thread" then I'm bored and looking for distraction, so read it and see all the nonsense. One of my favourite sayings is "no good deed goes unpunished" :)

thaiguzzi
10-31-2018, 01:51 AM
Jeez, some hard to please irritated folks on here today.
Glass half empty types.
Bad hair day?
I ai'nt no social media type either ( i think it's good for some businesses and popular with wimmin) but i see no problem with Gear Head's OP. Whatsoever.
And i've seen his high quality work on here before.
Carry on with the good work geezer.

Glug
10-31-2018, 09:16 AM
Thanks for trying to make this nice offer, Zahnrad. I hope it doesn't spoil any future plans to do a 10ee gear giveaway. I'd probably create a social media account just for that ;)

PStechPaul
10-31-2018, 04:24 PM
Sorry if I contributed to this ongoing argument. I was just trying to explain why JRouche considered the links to be "click-penny", or "click-bait", and what the links actually signified. Seems it got blown all out of proportion. I agree it was a generous offer, but perhaps could have been worded or explained differently, as I tried to do.

Tony907
10-31-2018, 06:19 PM
If the offer was a genuine attempt to help people out, with no strings attached (something so rare, I don't even consider it anymore, especially as of late), I also apologize for my contribution to starting an argument.

JRouche
10-31-2018, 11:36 PM
Sorry if I contributed to this ongoing argument. I was just trying to explain why JRouche considered the links to be "click-penny", or "click-bait", and what the links actually signified.

I appreciate that Paul, thought it was for Zander something Mr. Zahnrad Kopf is what I saw.

I do have an Southbend 10l. I the link made me think I was getting trolled. My bust. Im kinda cranky in my getting old age I do in fact finding myself saying sorry.

Which is ok because I dont mind admitting when I screwed up. Or break something. LOL

I am actually a follower on the FB page. I dont do The Gram..

Thanks for putting this chance to own gear up on this site!! Thanks for not being negative with my stupid reply.

I dont like to call people names.

When I said nimrod thats an old term of endearment actually. Weird right? JR