PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstein lathe for sale!

The Artful Bodger
10-28-2018, 12:50 AM
https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/manufacturing-metalwork/drills-accessories/listing-1817909044.htm?rsqid=1076ef29483749769b333c946cc50 88a

plunger
10-28-2018, 12:59 AM
Very reasonably priced. Looks well equipped .4 jaw ,all the necessary gear changes and toolpost grinder. I hope they haven't lost the gap;)

outlawspeeder
10-28-2018, 01:15 AM
I got to get me on of those.

Black Forest
10-28-2018, 02:43 AM
Dr. Frankenstein signed up for a bodybuilding course. It didn't take him long to realize he misunderstood the concept!

Ian B
10-28-2018, 04:20 AM
1920's maybe? That's a milling attachment on the cross slide; he has a flycutter bit in there. Lets hexagons etc be milled, note the dividing head that engages with the bullwheel.

Looks substantial for its time - nice wide change wheels, 3MT in the tailstock I think. There never was a gap piece, few lathes back then had them. The saddle handwheel is on the right (as in proper) side, and it gas a 1"headstock bore.

Depending on the condition of the slideways, that would make a good lathe for a hobbyist who doesn't want to buy a milling machine - lots of model engineers in the UK would have been delighted with that machine.

Lovely restoration project!

Ian

aostling
10-28-2018, 05:26 AM
I see no nameplate. Any idea where it was made?

A.K. Boomer
10-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Very reasonably priced. Looks well equipped .4 jaw ,all the necessary gear changes and toolpost grinder. I hope they haven't lost the gap;)

Ditto on the gap thing,,, if someone had that it might actually be useful for someone to buy and "de-tune" it some,

little bit of bacon grease and that baby would shine up like new

Tungsten dipper
10-28-2018, 10:29 AM
looks like it should drop little balls and play music.

Mcgyver
10-28-2018, 10:45 AM
I like it. Don't think I'd want it, but I like the ingenuity and perseverance.....someone greatly increased their capacity for different work with all those mods.

Willy
10-28-2018, 10:54 AM
I'd like to see some of the work and projects that were completed using this lathe.
With the ingenuity that the builder demonstrated building this lathe I'd be willing to bet he also had a a very fertile mind in regards to his work and a capable skill-set in order to complete his projects.

QSIMDO
10-28-2018, 11:10 AM
No doubt someone like John Britten owned it and turned out the most amazing projects!
Huge respect.

Take the key out of the chuck though.

10-28-2018, 02:57 PM
The dividing plate thing on top, looks like it goes to an auto flywheel and ring gear..

The Artful Bodger
10-28-2018, 02:59 PM
I see no nameplate. Any idea where it was made?

I expect it may be as old as the century before last, we have a Milnes from that era but I dont see a name cast on the bed which ours has. With the headstock missing it is a bit difficult to identify and hence the country of origin but as it is in NZ it is quite likely UK origin or (slightly less likely) USA. The wheel on the right of the carriage tends towards UK.

There is one possible identifier and that is the slot in the bed casting just visible above the leadscrew and directly below the headstock.

Mike Burch
10-31-2018, 07:14 PM
The seller has replied to a question of identity:
"No name. But I think American. Have another very similar which is bockford usa "

Dan_the_Chemist
10-31-2018, 08:29 PM
I would have already bought it for $250 if it had been within 500 miles of me. I mean, it's FUN LOOKING. It was made by Grins and Giggles lathe company.

However, shipping from NZ would probably be a bit much.

KIMFAB
10-31-2018, 09:07 PM
That is one beautiful machine.
The guy obviously started with a gap bed and no head or tail stock and not only made a working unit but set it up for indexing.
I wonder how he centered that welded on chuck.

The dinky motor that drives the trans with the chain drive to the head stock and the large motor for the rotary cutter makes you think it was set up for a special purpose,
perhaps for making balls or cones. Haven't figured out how the indexing thing is disengaged tho.