PDA

View Full Version : W.H. Nichols Miller

charlie coghill
09-12-2004, 09:17 PM
I purchased a WH nichols Milling machine at an auction last Sat. and am looking for a place to get more information and a parts list if possible.
I am not sure just what I have in the way of the milling machine. It appears that the machine table has been converted to operate on air and any power to the table appears to have been removed. The machine is pretty dirty and has a lot of plastic chips indicating the machine was used to mill some plastic. The plastic chips are where metal chips would be although there are some metal chips indicating the machine has been used to mill metal also.
There is a coolent sump and a elect sump pump.

The machine motor is one hp 3ph gear head motor. The spindle is driven by a V belt with the largest pully being about 12" in dia.
The knee moves in V ways, the spindle can also be adjusted up and down. It also moves in V ways.
How I came to bid on the machine was the Auctioneer started off at $500.00 and no one would bid. He kept dropping the opening bid, when he got down to $50.00 I bid the $50. So I became the proud http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif (I think?) owner of the machine.

I know there is a place on the internet that has information on lathes but I can't find it now when I want it. Searching with the name does not turn up any thing.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Charlie

The Doctor
09-12-2004, 11:02 PM
http://www.lathes.co.uk/nichols/

G.A. Ewen
09-12-2004, 11:35 PM
Sounds like you got a great deal. Congrats.

"The Doctors" link makes me think that Dave Gingery got the idea for his milling machine from the "Nichols Miller.

J Tiers
09-13-2004, 12:17 AM
Looks nice....like a Barker mill done right.

Good sized table, too, with a wide saddle to hold it, based on the length vs travel.

DR
09-13-2004, 12:57 PM
I was also the proud owner at auction of such a beast. Same scenario, I got mine for about that price.

Used it for a couple years infrequently. Decided it was taking up more room than it was worth to me.

Tried to sell it. Got one response from my newspaper ad. It took a bunch of hard selling on my part to get the guy to take it. I threw in a Rockwell horizontal bandsaw and a B'port M-head, all for $50 to get him to haul it away.

The air table feed on your's may have been standard from the factory. Mine had the lever feed longitudinally on the table, with a method on converting to screw feed by engaging a split nut arrangement. In/out was screw feed. Rise/fall of head was lever.

A friend had a machine identical to mine except with the optional vertical head which mounted in the overarm hole. Made his machine much more valuable/desireable than mine.

Parts are available, but I can assure you you won't be interested after hearing the prices. I think It's DC Morrison Company that owns the Nichols line currently.

JRouche
09-13-2004, 01:04 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DR:
I threw in a Rockwell horizontal bandsaw and a B'port M-head, all for $50 to get him to haul it away.

</font>

You wouldn't have any more "Stuff" you need to be hauled away, do you? JRouche

charlie coghill
09-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Thanks all for the replays. As soon as I get a couple of projects out of the way I will get a steam cleaner and clean the machine and than I will know for sure what I have, a boat anchor or what.
Charlie

charlie coghill
09-14-2004, 09:34 PM
DR
Could you tell me how the split nut was engaged and where the nut is. My maching has the screw for the table feed also. The table is also moved by a reck and pinon.

For you guys in the UK. The link that the Dr. provided, has anyone had any dealings with this person. He says that there is a copy of the manual for the Nichols machine available.
Thanks.
Charlie

DR
09-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Charlie,

If the nut assembly is there, it'll be obvious how it's engaged. Sorry I can't be more specific, it's been a few years.

I do remember the nut assembly was held in position with a bolt or bolts and was swung somehow to the side to disengage. Seems like it was near the right end of the table.

charlie coghill
09-14-2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks DR I will take a look tomarrow. There is a lever under the table on the left side of the table. I tried it thinking it maybe a table lock. I could not tell that it tighten any thing.
Charlie