PDA

View Full Version : OT: Priority's?

wierdscience
09-14-2004, 09:33 PM
After the recent thread on spelling and grammer and how some(all actually) of us don't always get it right.I was wondering,what would be the greatist priority if you had to choose.

#1 Making sure that part you just made is perfect so it doesn't fail and kill somebody?

Or #2 Making sure that the topic or reply you just posted on this or another BBS is absolutly perfect in is composition?Kind of obvious isn't it?

I for one focus all my attention on making sure that everything I machine,weld or rebuild is perfect because somebody could die if I don't.

This is not to say that grammer and spelling are not important,because both are.I have never had a customer commercial,military or private complain about my writing or grammer,nor have they complained about anything other than price.I have seen expertly written memo's and e-mails that achieved nothing,only to be followed by an angry direct to the point conversation over the phone or in person that got things moving.

The part I find interesting,is that those who refered to me as being a hypocrite made spelling and grammer mistakes themselves.Sure they caught mine,but missed theirs.Kinda hypocritical isn't it?
So,what are your priority's? Split hair tolerence?

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 09-14-2004).]

pgmrdan
09-14-2004, 10:43 PM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 09-16-2004).]

Evan
09-14-2004, 11:29 PM
1: Yep, yep, yep...

2: Nope, nope, nope...

Will all further respondents to this thread please just post a "1" or a "2"

Not picking on you Wierd but I think it was beat fairly to death.

BillH
09-14-2004, 11:53 PM
Striving to do your best while machining is always rewarding. I however never had to make a part for some one else who's life depended upon it. I have done work for myself. The first time I shot my fal after barreling and headspacing it myself was a little scary. So was the moment I figured out the headspacing became out of whack While shooting it!

As for writing in general, I have this problem typing papers for Class. I have a hell of a time writing long papers. I am always SHort and to the point. I don't like to bull****. I do not like the long winded elitist type where you have to get a dictionary to look up words you may only see once every few years. Perhaps some of you may have noticed the majority of my posts are short and to the point? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

As for Grammar, AS long as your not grossly incompetent, like showing a 1st grade level of proficiency, it is fine.
Such as "i wood like to buy a bote like 6teen feet" I can't even emulate it..

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 09-14-2004).]

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 09-14-2004).]

Evan
09-14-2004, 11:59 PM

"I never though had to make a part for some one else who's life depended upon it"

Maybe not make a part, but have you ever done a brake job? Same thing. I have done many a job and made many a part (aircraft) where lives depend on my work.

Sprocket
09-15-2004, 12:00 AM
But shouldn't everything I produce be given equal care, whether it be turned, welded or typed?

HTRN
09-15-2004, 12:46 AM
Your parts qoute stirs a memory. I remember one job coming in that my boss at the time showed me - it was for an F-14 if I remember correctly.. Anyway it had this big box on the print with a bunch of engineering warnings about how the part would be 100%inspected on all dimensions and had to meet this standard and that standard and there would be all kinds of failures if the part wasn't perfect. all of the tolerances had at least 3 zeros in them. My boss wanted to know what I thought: "Uh,. the plane falls out of the sky if we screw up?" He agreed and we passed on the job. It just wasn't worth it for what Litton/Airtron was willing to pay. The reason they tried to pass it off to us was they didn't want to touch it either!

HTRN

darryl
09-15-2004, 01:34 AM

Funny how it works sometimes. I was always a good speller, but in typing I make many mistakes, same ones usually. I don't like seeing words misspelled, so I edit before posting. Not that it's a big deal, and I don't care if someone doesn't get it right, I read and understand it anyway. The funniest thing though is the 'japanese english', which is now 'chinese english'. Read the instruction manual for an offshore machine. I can't find it now, but the one that came with the sheet metal machine was hilarious.

wierdscience
09-15-2004, 02:53 AM
Thats kind of what I was getting at.We can't be all things to all people,politicians try,but never achieve.So I pick the thing that matters most and strive to be flawless in that area.I mean I have never had a csutomer say"xxxxx worked perfectly.but your grammer and composition suck,so were going with your compition" it just hasn't happened.

John Stevenson
09-15-2004, 03:22 AM
Just get on and do it.
Most people won't work that close to the drawings anyway, they will modify to suit what they need or what they have as stock.

If I was to post a drawing of a part with 2BA threads in would you all go out and locate 2BA threads?
No you would use the nearest to size you had.
In IBEW's case he'd weld it anyway http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif [ just kidding mate - at least you actually do something ]

Sod the grammar, it's all about learning and sharing anyway.
When I clamp a part up in the vise this morning does the vise/vice know that it can be spelt two ways ?

And yes Evan I am part of the vise squad - I have about 12 of the buggers.

Here's an example :-

Chuck 1" bar in 3J,face end, centre drill, drill 1/2 deep with 1/2" drill, part off to 1/4" long, deburr.

Grammatically incorrect but technically correct to make a washer. Not no speeds, feeds etc are mentioned as not everyone has the same machine.

99% of the readers on this board can follow that description but it's not correct.
Go work it out for yourselves - lifes too short for me.

John S.

Mike W
09-15-2004, 03:55 AM
1 http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Allan Waterfall
09-15-2004, 04:11 AM
I've noticed as I've got older that my spelling has got worse.It didn't used to be a problem but now I'm very often not sure if some words have double letters in.

e.g.... fullfil ...fulfill....fulfil.....I'm pretty sure the last one's wrong,the other two I don't know.

I don't make parts that could fail and kill someone,I don't even work to tolerances,it's usually making one part fit another.

One thing about being retired is that I don't "have" to do anything, so some days I don't.

Allan

spope14
09-15-2004, 08:10 AM
I try my best at spelling and grammar, but make mistakes. Perhaps more now that I "just post" on a page. In life, I tend to write all my notes out longhand. I took drafting and did drafting for many years, so my handwriting is of excellant quality, and when writing, I tend to think it out more, and am more careful as I put pen to paper. I also consider hand writing out items a "lost art", thus my particular attempts at perfection.

When typing documents for public perview for my "city job" and for my teaching job, I triple check, and when I get the chance, let them "sit" for 24 hours, then re-check again. This allows me to "get away", and to return with a better "full picture" of the document.

As noted, keyboards are not my friend. I have some issues with my hands that get bad on occassion, so some nights I choose not to "post", as it is just enough to do the work on the computer I have to do as it is.

Final note: I always figured I am "among friends" here. A place to "just talk", and express ideas. If I wanted a place to go to be graded on writing and spelling, I am already paying for this in my masters degree classes, so why bother to come here. But alas, I come to meet friends and for the excellant chances for meaningful discourse.

I have expressed my hand issue a few times, and am grateful for the support many have given me by not hammering me on my mis-types.

As for making parts that people's lives depend on, I know many a person who does this, and can't write what they did. They do quite well, and I would have them make / do things for me in an instant (they can read).

Yes, I do things peoples lives depend upon as well, such as repairs, making items, and teaching machining and machine safety.

Rustybolt
09-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Weird. The wonderful thing about what wwe do, is that none of us need to even speek the same language in order to communicate. If I have a blueprint in front of me I can pretty much figure out what it is you want.

bobodu
09-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

speedy
09-15-2004, 09:53 AM
What drugs are you on mate??, I couldn`t understand a damn thing you said; Speak English why don`t ya!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Techtchr
09-15-2004, 10:23 AM
bobodu,
Yes, Amazing! Another one is take a sheet of paper and cover up the upper half of a line of text or handwriting so that only the lower half of the letters are viewable. Now do the same thing so that the top half is viewable and not the bottom. Which line can you read?

Wonder if you can do this trick in combination with yours?

I would also like to second pgmrdan's comments. My expectation at school is that students will attempt to spell correctly at all times. I correct spelling errors, which is difficult for me to do because I don't spell correctly with ease. My rule of thumb for grading papers with errors; test or quiz with no access to spell check or dictionary - no point deduction unless it is a common word we use every day in my classes. Written assignment with time to spell check and look up, 5 point deduction for each word.
Public presentations of class work, all bets are off. Spelling error in a PowerPoint presentation, is the kiss of death.

OK I'll ask, I didn't spell check or look up words. How'd i due? I r afraid to axe http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
Matt

lynnl
09-15-2004, 10:40 AM
I took a vacation all of last week, so kind of missed out on the origin of the group's current grammer fascination. I've always tried to maintain a certain amount of pride in my own grammer and spelling, but I sure make my share of mistakes too. Truth is I rarely see a posting that doesn't contain at least some minor feature that would earn a red mark from an english teacher. But I don't really give a hoot as long as I can understand it.
But for anyone really wanting to proofread their spelling, one good way is to read an entire passage backwards. Unless you use a spell checker, ...which I seldom think of. (see, I dangled a preposition. Darn!)

bobodu
09-15-2004, 10:42 AM
"How'd i due? I r afraid to axe "
Oooo..there's that "axe" word.That one always grinds me.Ahem....
I attended a meeting in which the opening statement included a phrase asking people to join in the discussion.For a solid month,I heard the words " Everyone is encouraged to precipitate." Talk about raining on my parade....

HTRN
09-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Here's one I like to use around the shop: "Sex munts ago, I kudn't spel Musheenest, now I are one!" gets allota laughs from fellow "shopmonkeys" and some concerned stares from everyone else!

HTRN

mklotz
09-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Gee, weird, why did you resurrect this topic? Seems to me that you're awfully
sensitive about a subject which you insist has no importance.

Evan
09-15-2004, 02:21 PM
How about writing in Reverse Polish Notation?

Yoda like is it.

ibewgypsie
09-15-2004, 04:15 PM
All I know,

This forum is a lot more forgiving on my typing then my cnc is on a gcode. Usually a typo results in needing another end mill.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-17-2005).]

John Stevenson
09-15-2004, 04:22 PM
Ibew,
At least it's the written word.
Think what would hapen to a CNC if you stuttered.

G01 X 15.00
G01 Y 2.38
M03 Sss..... Sssss.....Ssssss
F**k it just run the cutter

HTRN
09-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Ahh, the sound of carbide self destructing, usually followed by the sound of the Machinist cursing! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

HTRN

wierdscience
09-15-2004, 05:12 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mklotz:
Gee, weird, why did you resurrect this topic? Seems to me that you're awfully
sensitive about a subject which you insist has no importance.</font>

No I am not sensitive,I am an egomaniac like everyone else in the male world.Just trying to point out what a few extra hours of sleep can do thats all.

Egomaniac,engineer,machinist,welder,mechanic etc,etc, http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I'm hitting on at least five out of eight cylinders today.All I did was get up at 4:00a.m.,got to town for daylight and boarded up 2 soild blocks of plate glass windows.Then I came home,guyed off two shed roofs and boarded up six windows here.Now I'm going to town again to stay with the folks and listen to the wind howl http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Should be good for catching up on reading.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 09-15-2004).]

zl1byz
09-15-2004, 05:15 PM
1 http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Mike W
09-15-2004, 05:24 PM
A guyed off shed roof......that is a new one on me. Good idea though.