• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ibewgypsie
    • Dec 2002

Machining in the kitchen

Perhaps the name of the post should be "how I got to 275 lbs"

Hmmm, New orleans style Gumbo, Home made cornbread, and a dozen budwiesers. (Tuesdays supper menu)

Carrol is still up North visiting family. I ain't gotta eat no stinking weight watchers meals.. (she'll be back Wednesday)

The Pup and Me have ate sardines in the kitchen, he likes the lil vienna sausages too.

I'll be back under the "Law of the house" wednesday.

Ah'm having leftovers tonite.. WEE HAW..

(I'll post what I been doing to my shop in pictures later this week) Ivan Permitting.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-17-2005).]
  • CCWKen
    • Jan 2003

Yum! I would have made the trip for that!

Comment

• Evan
      • May 2003

Yep, looks good enough to eat.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• ibewgypsie
        • Dec 2002

I shared tonights leftovers with my pup.. He is sitting on the couch now chewing rawhide. Them $3 bones now last less than 3 minutes.

I cooked about two pounds of jumbo shrimp to go with supper. I gave one to him.. He buried it in the couch cushions.. (I gotta remember to get that)

Silly dog.. He does love mackerel and sardines, spicy catfish. Last time I gave him shrimp they were not peeled and he ate them down.

How do they raise them farm-raised-shrimp?

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-17-2005).]

Comment

• John Stevenson
          • Mar 2001

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:

How do they raise them farm-raised-shrimp?
          </font>
          Plant them in rows ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• Evan
            • May 2003

David, from Shrimp News International, every thing you ever wanted to know about farmed shrimp

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 09-14-2004).]

Comment

• ibewgypsie
              • Dec 2002

Thanks Evan.

The ones I just ate were farm raised. Quite tasty. Not really fishy smelling.

I remember seeing catfish raised in concrete tanks.. I thought it was a sewage plant.

I wonder why more small farmers don't raise them? as a side line anyways.

Comment

• wierdscience
                • Jan 2003

Fish farming is a delicate thing,the wrong kind of bacteria gets in the tank,pond whatever and your bankrupt.

They do raise fresh water prons near here,two will fit in your hand.They are good,but they still don't beat Gulf shrimp.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• CCWKen
                  • Jan 2003

A catfish farmer not far from here used to go through nearly 58,000,000 gallons of water a day. (Yep, the zeros are correct.) Water came from the largest well in the world and drew out of the Edwards Aquifer. He had long plastic lined tanks or water ways for "farming".

The State of Texas, city of San Antonio and the Aquifer District tried to sue him to shut the water off. Even threw the guy in jail for not having "discharge permits". Wasted lots of tax payer money in the suits. Went all the way to the Texas Supreme Court. He won each time. The Aquifer Districts have been battling over an old Texas law that gives landowners the "right of capture" for ground water.

The city finally purchased the farm for something like $30,000,000 just to turn the water off. That was some mighty ex$pensive Catfish!

You can read about it here:

Comment

• lynnl
                    • Jan 2002

I saw a tv program a few years ago about shrimp farming, which made the claim that it was the most cost efficient means of producing protein. (...don't remember if they were planting them in rows or not. Must'a been tho.)
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• tattoomike68

GUMBO AND RICE RULES, MMMMMMMMMMMM

Comment

• HTRN
                        • Jul 2004

David, there is an article on raising Prawns in this month's issue of "Countryside". Alot of Corn farmers are starting to do this because there's a higher dollar yield per acre and requires almost no equipment. It's very easy to do. 60 day old juveniles are anywhere from $30-$120/thousand and do quite well on high protien catfish feed. Simply set up an automatic feeder and when your ready in the fall, drain the pond, go out into it with a bucket and start collecting. One thing that is a concern is infiltration of undesirables. Filling an empty pond strictly with well water and you can pretty much guarantee no predatory fish. Pump from a stream or a lake and you run the risk of introducing something that will literally eat your profits! Largemouth Bass are particularly fond of Prawns. Another concern is overstocking as the Prawns turn cannabalistic if crowded. You can go as high as 20,000/acre with certain measures but I wouldn't go that high. 5000/acre is plenty. Also it's a better idea to have multiple smaller ponds instead of one big one, for obvious reasons. It's something that's relatively cheap and easy to do and can put some extra coin in your pocket, particularly if your friendly with the local restaurants. I would do it, but I don't have the real estate for it.

HTRN

------------------
                        EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

• Evan
                          • May 2003

Heck, if I had the water I would do it just so I could eat them. One of my favorite dishes is an Indonesian Sambal (nasi goreng) with prawns and rice. Yumm.

Comment

• HTRN
                            • Jul 2004

It ain' a question of having the water, but a question of haveing the real estate and knowing where to rent a Bobcat! Most of the artificial ponds used for prawn growing are only 4 feet deep or less. No sense in having a deep pond if your growing bottom dwellers. The only time you want even a 4 foot pond is when you string construction barracade verically to give the prawns more "surface area" when you do the higher density stocking.

HTRN
                            EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

• darryl
                              • Jan 2003

Nasi goreng, hey, that's our food of choice for a hot meal when out overniting. Good stuff. Just had a retired chef prepare that for us a few weeks ago. MMMMM.
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                              X