PDA

View Full Version : Motor Failures

madman
12-16-2018, 10:32 PM
Been having a LOAD of Trouble with my Fireplace. Its a Natural Gas Type Insert. I replaced my Wood Fireplace many many years ago. Now the main Problem is the Blower Motors fail they Howl making all manner of obnoxious noises? Just wonder if there are solutions to this Problem/ Perhaps some special Grease? or?? Thanx Guys

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-16-2018, 10:42 PM
Been having a LOAD of Trouble with my Fireplace. Its a Natural Gas Type Insert. I replaced my Wood Fireplace many many years ago. Now the main Problem is the Blower Motors fail they Howl making all manner of obnoxious noises? Just wonder if there are solutions to this Problem/ Perhaps some special Grease? or?? Thanx Guys

Take the motor out of the combustion chamber :) It should be outside blowing air around the chamber and into the room.

wierdscience
12-17-2018, 01:28 AM
Most of those blower motors have oil lite bronze bearings,try some light machine oil,aka sewing machine oil.This is the one I use,it wicks into the bearing pores very well-

https://www.liquidwrench.com/product/light-machine-oil/

darryl
12-17-2018, 01:46 AM
I got something called turbine oil- could be the same as sewing machine oil, I don't know. Works pretty well. I also made my own mixture, which is turbine oil and metal treatment- I didn't use a ratio, but just mixed so I didn't thicken the light oil too much. It seems a little better, both in lower bearing noise levels and in staying power.

J Tiers
12-17-2018, 03:06 AM
A good deal of "turbine oil" is around 10wt. That usually does go into the oilite well.

If you can get those "Zoom spout" oilers with the pull-out tube, they are about 10wt, and the oil will work very well in the small shaded pole motors usually used in the blowers.

Agree in keeping the motor outside.... Partly for the heat, but even more for the dust and dirt. If the motor is "air-over" as many are, the incoming air can collect on the exposed bearing, and suck all the oil out. I;ve had that happen on bath fans, which would howl like crazy. A couple drops of oil would keep them quiet for a year.