PDA

View Full Version : Bainbridge Model 101 Bandsaw - Leak or self lubed blade?

rbkepler
12-23-2018, 04:37 PM
Picked up a bottle of Pennzoil Platinum GL-4 Gear Oil. Opened the gear box - both steel gears look brand new inside.
Wiped it clean and noticed the band wheel on the other side of the box is wet with what I'm assuming is gear oil.
Are these self lubricating, or do I have a leak? Can't seem to find an online manual. Sure would be nice.

Darren M
12-23-2018, 06:15 PM
You're going to be hard pressed to find any real information on Bainbridge saws in general. However, you might be able to pull the nbers off the bearings and research with those numbers. Chances are they are sealed bearings.

Willy
12-23-2018, 06:36 PM
I would say that you have a leak. Was the oil level low in the gearbox? Probably a minor leak since you say the hears looked new, so that is good. Hard to say what the history is on the machine in regards to how long the oil has been in there or how much has leaked out since it was last filled. I'm not familiar with the gearbox in question but it should be easy to determine if it has a separate oil seal or if it relies on a sealed bearing to keep the oil in it's proper place.
Either way it won't be hard to get it back to an oil tight condition.

vpt
12-23-2018, 07:22 PM
Mine leaked at one point (typical 7x12 saw) Turns out they use the seals in the bearings as the gear box oil seals. I replaced the bearings for like $35 and alls been good since.