PDA

View Full Version : Rupnow Vertical first run

Captain K
01-22-2019, 12:49 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=uKYjQE6s1GA
Finally got Rupnow Vertical running. Made a few changes to materials but stayed pretty close to the plan otherwise. My first IC engine. Needs some tuning but pretty excited to have a runner.

tom_d
01-22-2019, 01:00 AM
Nice!! Congratulations on a job well done. It sounds great.

BCRider
01-22-2019, 02:43 AM
Yeah, that's quite an accomplishment ! ! ! So many things to make and fit in any engine.

That's a form and size which would go nicely into a model boat as a "sort of" open style launch or old one lunger fishing boat. Any plans for something like that?

bandsawguy
01-22-2019, 06:50 AM
Great job!

JoeLee
01-22-2019, 08:55 AM
Pretty quiet running.

JL.............

brian Rupnow
01-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Congratulations. Your engine runs fine and it is a great accomplishment.---Brian Rupnow

Captain K
01-22-2019, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys. I think I have a several small air leaks on intake and carb. Doesn’t run as smooth as I would like. Also doesn’t pick up the gas a well as it should. If I pressurize the fuel tank it smooths out and runs a lot faster. Getting too much unmetered air I believe. I think maybe the jet sticks up too far into the air stream possibly disrupting the smooth flow and lessening Venturi effect. Going to try a few things and I’ll post a video if I get some improvement.
Thanks for looking
Captain K

Stepside
01-22-2019, 10:12 AM
Captain K

You can feel proud to have finished the project and that it actually does run as expected. Brian can feel good that his drawings are of a quality that let you succeed. Both of you should be smiling.

When the locals ask you "what does it do?" Give them a blank stare and say "If I tell you I will have to kill you".

Pete

3 Phase Lightbulb
01-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Captain K

You can feel proud to have finished the project and that it actually does run as expected. Brian can feel good that his drawings are of a quality that let you succeed. Both of you should be smiling.

When the locals ask you "what does it do?" Give them a blank stare and say "If I tell you I will have to kill you".

Pete

Excellent work, both of you! This is very inspiring indeed.

RB211
01-22-2019, 01:10 PM
I'm getting bit by the model IC engine bug. Love to put Brian's Flathead engine in a model tractor.

3 Phase Lightbulb
01-22-2019, 01:16 PM
I'm waiting for Brian to give me some V8 plans... I know he can do it :)

sid pileski
01-22-2019, 01:17 PM
Nice job. It's always a great feeling have something that you've spent hours on come to life!

I often get the "that's cool, but what does it do?" or "Whats if for?"
I usually tell people, "its just for the joy of it" and go on to tell them its a work of art like a Picasso.

Sid

BCRider
01-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. I think I have a several small air leaks on intake and carb. Doesnít run as smooth as I would like. Also doesnít pick up the gas a well as it should. If I pressurize the fuel tank it smooths out and runs a lot faster. Getting too much unmetered air I believe. I think maybe the jet sticks up too far into the air stream possibly disrupting the smooth flow and lessening Venturi effect. Going to try a few things and Iíll post a video if I get some improvement.
Thanks for looking
Captain K

I know from tinkering with my model airplane engines that the orientation of the orifice within the airflow of the carb makes a big difference in how well and consistently the engines run. And leaks, even small ones, are a big no-no. So you're likely on the right track for better running.

BCRider
01-22-2019, 03:19 PM
I'm waiting for Brian to give me some V8 plans... I know he can do it :)

And angled display shelf for 8 singles? :D

Doozer
01-22-2019, 03:22 PM
Why not make an engine that is like 3 or 4 horsepower
so you can use it on a mini-bike or a go-kart or something?
A friend of mine converts single cylinder air compressor
pumps to engines and puts them on bicycles.
Ends up with something you can ride that way.
That is why I really like those small steam trains they build.
You can ride them around.

-D

Captain K
01-22-2019, 07:22 PM
Why not make an engine that is like 3 or 4 horsepower
so you can use it on a mini-bike or a go-kart or something?
A friend of mine converts single cylinder air compressor
pumps to engines and puts them on bicycles.
Ends up with something you can ride that way.
That is why I really like those small steam trains they build.
You can ride them around.

-D

It's not what I want to do. If you want to, go ahead and do it, then post a video here.
It's a hobby, I only do what I want.
Thanks
Captain K