PDA

View Full Version : arbor press,,,uses?

Alaninga
09-16-2004, 08:16 PM
I will be picking up a Dake #1 1/2[3 ton] racheting arm arbor. From time to time I need something like this. This one is listed at a very high price in the MSC catalogue [$800+?]. I will be getting it very reasonable. How do these compare with very inexpensive Asian manufacture arbor presses?
What neat uses have you found for your press?
I KNOW I'll use it for something,,,,maybe reinstalling wine bottle corks? [ha].

Jesse168
09-16-2004, 08:40 PM
We use an arbor press at work to broach keyways ( cut keyways in sprockets,pulleys, etc). We do this with 3/8 keyways and smaller. We use a regular broach machine for larger keyways. You can also use an arbor press to straighten parts if you will put parallels under your part away from where you are going to press. Like a parallal under each end and press in the middle. This will give you room to let the part bend. But be careful that you don't apply too much pressure or you will bend it too much. You can press in and out bearings. The larger your arbor press the more that you can use it for.

------------------
Living By the Square and On the Level

ibewgypsie
09-16-2004, 09:06 PM
I put a wire crimp jaw into mine with a air cylinder.. I don't have a clue where it is now thou.

I was making harnesses for motorcycles. Not done that in a long time.

--------

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-17-2005).]

CCWKen
09-16-2004, 09:07 PM
As Jesse says, they work on small broches--not enough depth. Since I got my C-Frame press, I hardly use the arbor except for very small stuf and to pinch my fingers. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

CCWKen
09-16-2004, 10:36 PM
Hey David, that's a dandy idea! You may have found a use for my arbor press. Not a wire crimper but I could attach an air cylinder and find another use. I've got the cylinder and pedal sitting in a cabinet.

I'm thinking more of a screw hole dimpler. (In sheet metal) I've been doing this by hand with homemade dies and a hammer. Heck, I'm starting to think of other ideas too.

Thanks

G.A. Ewen
09-16-2004, 11:57 PM
I like my 3 ton import (after modifications). An arbor press without a racheting lever isn't much good IMHO.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/GAEWEN/Shop%20Photos/ac9f6a2a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/GAEWEN/Shop%20Photos/12d43418.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/GAEWEN/Shop%20Photos/1039c5c3.jpg

Tony
09-17-2004, 07:07 AM
homebrew arbor press.
needed something with more height, so i
threw in an adjustable table.

not a ratchet style, but i can increase the pressing force by inserting a longer handle http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

works great for installing/removing small bearings but mostly i use it to shape sheetmetal as CCWKen hinted at.

make a few dies in the lathe and its a simple matter of pressing/punching sheetmetal features. it can do 4" louvres, no problem. the trick is getting it all aligned so the louvres look nice.

http://tinypic.com/5bech
http://tinypic.com/5bed4

-tony

G.A. Ewen
09-17-2004, 08:28 AM
Slick idea Tony. I wish that I had thought of that before buying one.

andypullen
09-17-2004, 08:56 AM
You can also make attachments for the ram.

A company I worked for had a burnishing tool attached to the end of a ran to size a small hole in a dental drill. They also had specialized tips made up for pressing bearings into elevator wheels absolutely square.

My brother made a tool for cutting louvers into aluminum sheet on his model trains. Look at www.discoverlivesteam.com/magazine/A-e-magazine.htm (http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/magazine/A-e-magazine.htm) . Issue #25

I've used my press for the usual broaching of keyways, assembling train wheelsets, pressing bearings and straightening things.

Andy Pullen

[This message has been edited by andypullen (edited 09-17-2004).]

wierdscience
09-17-2004, 09:07 AM
A neat attachment is a holder for number/letter stamps and a fence to set the alignmnet.You can pres down with the press and give the ram a wack with a brass hammer,it really makes a good stamp that way.

andypullen
09-17-2004, 11:59 AM
I forgot about that one, wierd. I made one of those to stamp nylatron wheels for a cardboard box machine company eons ago. We did the wheels by the thousand at one point and needed a fast errorproof way to number them.

AP

sandman2234
09-17-2004, 07:34 PM
I traded a days' labor helping a friend move out of his shop for an arbor press. Just recently I acquired another one, that doesn't have a ratchet and gears, but an air cylinder. It was used with a die to cut sheetmetal to size, and punch a square hole in a single stoke of the cylinder. Kind of neat.
David from jax

ibewgypsie
09-17-2004, 08:04 PM
Sandman..

What a deal.. Usually when I work all day helping friends all I get is a sore back.

Louvers in a arbor press? News to me.

HOW about the fanciest beer can crusher in town? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

sandman2234
09-17-2004, 11:16 PM
He and I are like the adopted sons of a really great guy. That is how we got to know each other. We don't travel the same paths, but he got in a bind and needed some help moving out of a building that had been sold out from under him. He waited till the last minute, and asked everyone he knew if they would give him some help. Not nearly enough of them showed up, so he had a mess. When I saw how much stuff he still had to move, I took a 53' trailer over and hauled a couple loads. Worked 2 days, no charge, no questions. I asked him what he was going to do with the press, and he said sell it. I asked how much, and he said make him an offer. I offered him $75 cash or a days work on the last day that he had to get out. He took the days work, so I got to take it home.
The other arbor press was left off the inventory list when a business was being sold. Owner told me to take it home before closing/last inspection day. He knew I wanted it, so that is why he didn't include it on the inventory list.(see "Really Great Guy" mentioned above)
The list of things he has done for me is very long and very much appreciated.
David from jax

ibewgypsie
09-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Same here.. being a nice guy gets you more tools to play with and a clear concience.

My ironworker was a gift from a friend. I was buying and selling items and made us all some money. He knowed I have wanted one for years.

I am ruined, I love auctions. I like buying and selling more than working for sure.
Our company checks came in today. Company debit card.. to go to more auctions.. More toys.. More deals.. (and just what am I going to do with a Wilcox zig-zag chain conveyor?)

Techtchr
09-18-2004, 09:00 PM
My Best friend has a small vertical mill and a drill press that I was going to sell when I bought newer stuff. I decided I valued him having it more than the few hundred dollars I would have received. He surprised me with a $50 gift certificate a couple of weeks ago because I helped him roof his house. We've known each other for 30years, and traded labor at each other's houses for the last 20. We almost don't have to talk when we do something together, because we both seem to understand what the other is thinking when it comes to building things. He's a great friend.

Matt

charlie coghill
09-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Also you can set gromets in canvas and leather.
May need to modify the gromet tool some.
Charlie

WJHartson
09-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Here is a picture of a holder I made that can be used to hold square HSS punches that I use to punch sheet metal. The press is a Dake 1-1/2 B1.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/Homemade44/MVC-002S.jpg

Joe

sandman2234
09-19-2004, 10:21 PM
Joe,
I would like to see more of how that Onan is plumbed into the shop. Looks great from what I can see.

Today was a great day. Spent the afternoon like a kid in a candy store, getting tooling and "stuff" just to help the owner move some of his stuff home. I still can't believe some of it made it home without him changing his mind.3 different sizes of Jacob's chucks, and one Albrecht 1/8 to 5/8, but it has one jaw with the top broke off it. Works great, just got to find a set of jaws. Box full of endmills, and a whole lot more.

David from jax

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

WJHartson
09-20-2004, 03:00 AM
David,

What do you want to see? The unit is a 12.5 KW unit that is air cooled and runs on natural gas or propane. It is tied to the shop via a transfer switch and a breaker from my house panel. I can power my house and shop from the unit. There is also a dedicated panel in the shop so I can run the generator and plug in whatever I want and still have house power. The generator has both single and 3 phase capability up to 600 volts. I have it set up for single phase at present.

I will take some pictures of unit and the transfer switch tomorrow and post them. If you want something special let me know.

Joe

kap pullen
09-20-2004, 07:25 AM
As well as the louver punch mentioned by Andy, I have a small press dedicated to embossing rivets in car and cab panels for the trains. I can emboss into .05 soft aluminum sheet. My setup will evenly space the "rivets" to various spacings.

Also form street light fixture reflectors for the "O" gauge trains.

The larger press has a 3/4 " hole bored in the nose of the square ram.
In this hole I can clamp "vee" shaped die for bending strap iron up to 3/8 x 1 over a vee block, as well as "bumping" radaii.

I can mount the curve punches off the Harbor Freight tube bender to form radii.

Also have rivet setting tools made up.

I have also made square,and hex punches to finish out square, and hex hole sockets for work at NASA.

The guys in "integration" (spacecraft assembly) ask "how u do dat so quick?"

I have a Chinese 3 in 1 shear, roll, and brake combo. with dies made for close bends and offset parts.

The radaii on the Hustler Locomotive hoods, and roofs are bumped on the China brake.

Kap