PDA

View Full Version : HSM site is blocked from viewing in Australia.

.RC.
02-12-2019, 06:12 AM
Just a heads up that Home Shop Machinist has been blocked in Australia. Had to use a proxy to get here. The message that comes up is Dell SonicWall This site has been blocked by the network administrator. No doubt it is being blocked at the HSM server end. Can the problem be fixed up?

George Bulliss
02-12-2019, 07:08 AM
I was out sick yesterday and am just realizing there is a problem. I'll get in touch with IT and, hopefully, we'll get things straightened out ASAP. Thanks for the heads-up.

Mcgyver
02-12-2019, 08:14 AM
Just a heads up that Home Shop Machinist has been blocked in Australia. Had to use a proxy to get here. The message that comes up is Dell SonicWall This site has been blocked by the network administrator. No doubt it is being blocked at the HSM server end. Can the problem be fixed up?

I don't 100% understand what that means, that HSM is using DSW an by using it, HSM's server is blocking all users from Australia?

How useful is Dell Sonic Wall if causes all these problems?

Glug
02-12-2019, 08:22 AM

Obviously, firewalls are important; to prevent spam, to prevent phishing attacks, denial of service attacks, etc.

Speaking generally, it is sometimes advisable to block all traffic from certain countries where the traffic is mostly attacks, especially if you don't do business there. Firewalls are often operated by third parties, and they update the blocking rules in response to emerging threats and attacks. Sometimes they get it wrong.

pinstripe
02-12-2019, 08:44 AM
I was out sick yesterday and am just realizing there is a problem. I'll get in touch with IT and, hopefully, we'll get things straightened out ASAP. Thanks for the heads-up.

Thanks George. It's nice to be allowed back in :)

loose nut
02-12-2019, 09:19 AM
Is dem ozies makin's the troubles agin.

George Bulliss
02-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Apparently, the sites were attacked over the weekend and the quick and easy fix was to throw up a block on the firewall until the IT guy could get in this morning and work on it while on the clock. Things should be up and running now – let me know if you have any further problems.

lakeside53
02-12-2019, 10:44 AM
I don't 100% understand what that means, that HSM is using DSW an by using it, HSM's server is blocking all users from Australia?

hey, they are building the wall. Anything that keeps Aussi's out is GOOD. ;) just kidding

TGTool
02-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Collateral damage. I found out yesterday that my website wasn't sending me the automated message when a new order arrived. One had been sitting for a week so I had to apologize to the customer and hustle down to the post office and that's not the kind of service I want to provide.

So the next step is to call the ISP and ask, how come? It turns out that they were changing the spam filtering and screwed this up along the way. So I appreciate the work trying to scrape off all the solicitations to see sexy young women in my state (auf Deutsch) but on the other hand ....

Black Forest
02-13-2019, 12:29 PM
I couldn't open the site until this afternoon. I was sure George had banned me!

plunger
02-13-2019, 12:53 PM
South Africa is going through a hard time. We get out electricity cut off for two hours a day, sometimes for four hours. This site is a small ray of light In a dark place to live.
I am so happy to have you back.

Smokedaddy
08-09-2019, 05:55 PM

If you're still here, I sent you a PM.

-JW:

cfranks
08-09-2019, 07:39 PM
I've been using HSM for months now with no problems other than 'You may not post attachments' still being the rule. Is there something I have missed?

Charles

Jim Stewart
08-09-2019, 07:48 PM
I've been using HSM for months now with no problems other than 'You may not post attachments' still being the rule. Is there something I have missed?

Charles

Nope. We all get that. A shortcoming of this version of the vbulletin software.

There's a sticky at the top of the General forum that deals with posting pictures.

-js

cfranks
08-10-2019, 01:09 AM
Thanks Jim.

Charles

lugnut
08-10-2019, 01:56 PM
After reading the beginning of this thread, I noticed on my Mac that at the address/search window, it lists HSM as "Not Secure". I had never noticed that before. HSM is the only site I look at that shows Not Secure. All the rest have a Icon indicating them secure.
Why is this site shown as not secure?

dave_r
08-10-2019, 05:41 PM
After reading the beginning of this thread, I noticed on my Mac that at the address/search window, it lists HSM as "Not Secure". I had never noticed that before. HSM is the only site I look at that shows Not Secure. All the rest have a Icon indicating them secure.
Why is this site shown as not secure?

Because the site uses http and not https (the connection between HSM and your computer is not encrypted). It takes some time and money up front to use https, as well as ongoing money to pay for the extra processing needed to support https.

For a site like this, it's not particularly important to use https,

The main problem is if someone else can gain access to the data between your computer and HSM
1)depending on how HSM does passwords, they may be able to view the raw password, or gain information about it from the encrypted form of your password
2)they can view whatever personal information you may enter on HSM's site, even if it's not public info on the site itself
3)they can inject data into the information between your computer and HSM

Examples of 3 are ISPs, some of who add a unique tracking number to your http requests (all of them), and then sell info about you (linking that unique tracking number to your ISP account information) to anyone giving the ISP a dollar, as well as ISPs that insert ads into pages (so HSM sends a page to you, ISP will insert/replace an ad on the page so the ISP makes some money for the ad instead of HSM).

1 is the reason why you NEVER, EVER use the same password for different web sites.

CCWKen
08-10-2019, 07:53 PM
And if you are using any of Google's software such as Chrome or Flash, you get #2 and 3 for free! Free! :D

lugnut
08-10-2019, 08:55 PM
I have a different password for each web site, but it takes a whole address book to list them. At 78 years old, my memory needs notes to refer to.

Corbettprime
08-10-2019, 09:01 PM
I have a different password for each web site, but it takes a whole address book to list them. At 78 years old, my memory needs notes to refer to.

I'm 76, and use a three ring binder, seems like I'm allways changing them.

AD5MB
08-10-2019, 11:00 PM
I use serial numbers for passwords. if you can't remember the password for eBay just look on the back of the stereo in the shop

Mcostello
08-11-2019, 09:20 PM
I used to use the name of the machine in front of the monitor, and occasionally use the monitors name. Just look straight ahead and it's there in big letters.