PDA

View Full Version : I can't help myself

Dedave
02-14-2019, 06:16 PM
I see chunks of metal that I just have to have and get it.

Latest addition
http://piggysplace.com/pics/machine/plate-roundstock-s.jpg

Glug
02-14-2019, 06:37 PM
It is true - big pieces of metal make their own gravity.

One great use is having a nice thick steel plate on your work bench. Not so thick that you can't slide it out so it hangs off. 3/4" or 1" thick. Maybe 2'x2'. It's so useful for a lot of things, like forming metal. You can also use the clean edge as an instant scraper, for instantly cleaning mating surfaces and similar. Oh, there's tape on that flat surface? Not anymore!

danlb
02-14-2019, 06:38 PM
I see a collet chuck, several telescope lens mounts and a riser for your mill.

What did you see when you picked them up?

Dan

fastfire
02-14-2019, 07:02 PM
Yep, them be chunky alrighty! I've been known to be attracted to big chunks too.

Stepside
02-14-2019, 07:04 PM
Dan is correct, there is always something or many things in a nice chunk of material. Sometimes it is a bit of a chore to free what is inside the chunk. It works for wood and rock as well. Then the inverse is also true with all sorts of small things trapped within a small remnant of metal, wood or rock. The small items are easier to free up from the small piece of material.

Dedave
02-14-2019, 09:32 PM
I see a collet chuck, several telescope lens mounts and a riser for your mill.

What did you see when you picked them up?

Dan

First piece I saw was the rusty round stock, for pounding on. Pretty much the same for the middle piece, although that is better steel so maybe something else. Magnetic, but not as strong a pull as regular steel.

The 11 x 11 x 1.5 inch hot rolled plate just might make a nice surface plate. I can practice scraping to get it flat. I knocked off the mill scale and took a file to the edges. It's really nice.

35 a pound. The plate alone came in at 50 lbs.

02-14-2019, 11:03 PM
Any idea what alloy the rounds are..?
My buddy pulled up one day from 375 miles away, car leaning to one side.
Had about 50 lbs of cutoff rounds, mast about 3 inches long in diameters from 4 inch to about ten..
The cool part, a lot of them were stamped or labeled as to alloy, because they were end of the bar.
I think one was 8620 another was cast iron, some chrome moly..

02-14-2019, 11:05 PM
Then one day you have to move, and you literally have TONS of metal that you cant all Take with you..j

rohart
02-15-2019, 09:53 AM
My biggest find was in my garden. I'm digging away, and I come across three 4ft lengths and one 8ft length of 3 1/2inch diameter steel rod.

My guess is the guy before us got some offcuts of conveyer belt rollers.

There is a very nice set of bending rolls lurking inside them.

J Tiers
02-15-2019, 11:47 AM
Then one day you have to move, and you literally have TONS of metal that you cant all Take with you..j

If you convert it into useful items, there is no longer an argument about what to do with the stuff.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-15-2019, 11:50 AM

Move to a bigger place.... Problem solved

ncjeeper
02-15-2019, 12:24 PM
I don't blame you Dedave. I would have grabbed them too.

02-15-2019, 12:35 PM
I had a bigger place, then I got more stuff..
Then it turned it to a storage place for lots of stuff..
And I started making less money than it cost to be there....so it was time to go. .
So now I got no place to work ... but I get rental income..

At least it has 3 phase... that was nice..

So then I got a storage unit.. then I got a second one... then I got a bigger one..
Still have lots of stuff..

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-15-2019, 12:49 PM
I had a bigger place, then I got more stuff..
Then it turned it to a storage place for lots of stuff..
And I started making less money than it cost to be there....so it was time to go. .
So now I got no place to work ... but I get rental income..

At least it has 3 phase... that was nice..

So then I got a storage unit.. then I got a second one... then I got a bigger one..
Still have lots of stuff..

Sounds like you're in a pickle.

mattthemuppet
02-15-2019, 12:54 PM
same here, found a nice dump truck stub axle at the side of the road last week. Lots of things lurking in that. Picked up a piece of 3" dia x11" long stainless round at the scrap yard a while back, part of that became a mortar and pestle for the wife's christmas present.

I've had to move several times and the one before last I had to get rid of a lot of stuff (shippers charged by weight). I still mourn the loss of all that material..

02-15-2019, 12:55 PM
It is what it is .
I should have called it I couldn't help myself..

Don't worry... what you have and what you are doing now, might not be the same in another 20 years..

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-15-2019, 01:05 PM
It is what it is .
I should have called it I couldn't help myself..

Don't worry... what you have and what you are doing now, might not be the same in another 20 years..

Doing the same thing for too long is a business and personal death sentence..