PDA

View Full Version : Strip Door Curtains??

Fasttrack
02-25-2019, 05:40 PM
Does anyone have experience with those strip door curtain thins you see in warehouses and industrial buildings? I'm still trying to figure out the floor plan for my shop and I'm running out of space. Of course.

Right now, I have a 8' wide by 14' long "keep out" area for working on cars and other large projects. Realistically, this will likely be occupied by machines that are undergoing restoration but I do want to have the option of driving a vehicle in to work on it. This is especially appealing now because I have done a brake job, replaced a power steering pump and cooler, several oil changes and a leaky water pump on an ice covered driveway when the temperature was well below freezing. My poor hands can't take it anymore!

But... my truck is much longer than 14', especially if I want some room to walk in front of it or get an engine hoist in front of it. In the summer time, I was just planning on leaving the garage door open with the part of the vehicle I'm not working on hanging outside. But in the winter time, this becomes more of an issue. I got to wondering about installing one of those plastic strip doors (in addition to a normal door - some thought required to make it a clean, effective installation) to help with heat loss. It could sort of conform to the shape of the vehicle. Obviously it will still be a pretty crappy solution compared to an insulated and tightly sealed roll up door, but it's got to be better than just leaving it completely open.

Any thoughts?

Doc Nickel
02-25-2019, 05:47 PM
You just need to work up something like this:

http://www.doorengineering.com/images/Slider-Aperature4.jpg

:D

Doc.

Mike Amick
02-25-2019, 06:16 PM
I just bought one for my back door so my Shepards can go in and out making it a gigantic doggy door.
I am really pleased with its effectiveness.

But for something that you are calling a less than perfect work around, you are going to pay an arm
and leg for one that size.

Fasttrack
02-25-2019, 06:22 PM
I just bought one for my back door so my Shepards can go in and out making it a gigantic doggy door.
I am really pleased with its effectiveness.

But for something that you are calling a less than perfect work around, you are going to pay an arm
and leg for one that size.

Interesting. I was looking at this company:
https://www.curtain-and-divider.com/product/pvc-strip-curtains-2/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuNKa2ILY4AIVxISzCh1qlAnBEAQYASA BEgLfw_D_BwE

I have single bay doors so it looks like it will cost a few hundred for a 100% overlap solution. I didn't think that was too bad to keep things warmer in the winter time.

Dan Dubeau
02-25-2019, 06:28 PM
You need a garage door like this for each vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnFBM58UOYM

We have those strip curtains at work to isolate the grinding area, and CNC area. IMO they'd be more effective if they were overlapped instead leaving 1/4"-1/2" gaps along the edges. Installed incorrectly like this I'm not sure they really do anything except try to knock my glasses off my head every time I walk through them lol.

Fasttrack
02-25-2019, 06:37 PM
We have those strip curtains at work to isolate the grinding area, and CNC area. IMO they'd be more effective if they were overlapped instead leaving 1/4"-1/2" gaps along the edges. Installed incorrectly like this I'm not sure they really do anything except try to knock my glasses off my head every time I walk through them lol.

That's actually a good point. So the ones I'm looking at for the door are staggered to provide 100% overlap. But I was also thinking about buying some kind of curtain to go inside the shop to isolate the welding and grinding area from everything else. I'll start pricing that out, too. Maybe I can get it all from the same place.

Boostinjdm
02-26-2019, 12:35 AM
I used a couple heavy shower curtains with offset cuts to close a 6' doorway in my old garage. Cost about $10 each. I looked at the industrial curtains and quickly ruled them out due to cost. The shower curtains lasted several years with me going through them dozens of times a day.

Baz
02-26-2019, 08:21 AM
Yes, just use old curtains. There is always someone throwing out old curtains. Find a high street shop that makes curtains and ask them if they fit them for the customers. They probably do now with nobody able to do the simplest DIY so they probably even charge a bit for disposal of the old ones.

Mr Fixit
02-26-2019, 11:38 AM
I have a suggestion that is a bit outside of the box but might work. What about those 10'x10' or larger popup canopies with sides that you can put at the door opening, then you could have the truck stick out and put a heater in the space to temper the cold. Easy to take up and down and won't knock your glasses off either. :rolleyes:

www.costco.com/canopies.html

TX
Mr fixit for the family
Chris :)