PDA

View Full Version : Rust spots on the sink

DEVILHUNTER
02-28-2019, 04:53 AM
After machining some cast iron parts I found some tiny rust spots on the sink where I wash my hands. Seems that the small metal particles that hadn't got flushed away have rusted and got adhered to the surface. One of the sinks is ceramic, the other is a modern resin.

Since I don't want to damage the surface by scrubing too heavily, I'm thinking on using some soft acids to disolve the metal. Probably destilled vinegar or, in case it doesn't work, some muriatic but it can damage the chrome plated drain.

┐Has anybody suffer this problem after machining cast iron parts? ┐Any other idea to clean it?

MattiJ
02-28-2019, 06:33 AM
Phosphoric acid works. Citric probably also.

BCRider
02-28-2019, 11:23 AM
A little Evaporust?

No need for distilled vinegar either if that's what you use. Common food store vinegar would be just fine.

Ringo
02-28-2019, 11:34 AM
citric acid will soften the soap scum left behind, it likely will help with the stain

bborr01
02-28-2019, 11:38 AM
Toilet bowl cleaner. Just make sure to leave the water running a little bit so the acid in it doesn't damage the finish on the drain. We have some iron in our water and periodically I use The Works toilet bowl cleaner to clean the brown off.

Brian

Corbettprime
02-28-2019, 12:20 PM
Use a phosphoric acid based bathroom cleaner, won't hurt the chrome, Push comes to shove use some Coke, it contains phosphoric acid. Just a tad, though.That

A.K. Boomer
02-28-2019, 01:05 PM
I think Lime-away also works on rust stains so if you have some of that give it a go

BCRider
02-28-2019, 02:07 PM
I forgot about the CLR cleaner. As in Calcium, Lime and Rust cleaner. For spots of that sort a spray, let sit for a couple of minutes then a simple scrub with a cloth or brush should do the trick.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-28-2019, 02:15 PM
GOJO with Pumice hand cleaner might work, or maybe it's too aggressive with the pumice.

OaklandGB
02-28-2019, 02:34 PM
Get some Barkeepers Friend. It was made for removing rust stains and doesn't scratch. They sell it at Home Depot and Lowes. Dry powder or liquid, they both work. Keep some around the house for rust and any mineral type deposits on sinks tubs pots or pans.

Peter.
02-28-2019, 02:54 PM
I had a load of rust marks in an old outside sink and you could feel the speck that was stuck there. I got most of it off just going over the surface with a paint scraper.

DEVILHUNTER
02-28-2019, 03:14 PM
Thanks guys. Problem is those brands are not for sale here. There are other brands that are similar products of course, but should guess by composition. Anyways I want to disolve the rust and the metal spot underneath.

Have any body had this kind of problem after washing his dirty machinist hands?

Fasttrack
02-28-2019, 03:24 PM
Thanks guys. Problem is those brands are not for sale here. There are other brands that are similar products of course, but should guess by composition. Anyways I want to disolve the rust and the metal spot underneath.

Yes. I use a citric acid based bathroom cleaner - I think it's a "Scrubbing Bubbles" brand. Anyway, it works well as a disinfectant but also does a good job dissolving rust stains and soap scum. I give my sink a few sprays with that, let it sit for 15 minutes or so and then scrub with terry cloth or very soft scotchbrite pad.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-28-2019, 03:25 PM

Not really.. I usually rub my hands on my face a lot so by the time I end up cleaning up my hands they are mostly clean..

https://i1.trekearth.com/photos/11103/murcek7.jpg

Boostinjdm
02-28-2019, 04:35 PM
On the ceramic, I'd use toilet bowl cleaner. I had a toilet that got pretty bad from grinding dust falling off my clothes. A few applications of toilet bowl cleaner made it like new again. I was really surprised how effective it was.

Duffy
02-28-2019, 04:54 PM
The BEST way to remove rust stains, (or bloodstains, for that matter,) is with oxalic acid. It works by reacting with the iron oxide, making a soluble compound, which will rinse away. Oxalic acid is poisonous, but is readily available as, for example, wood bleach. It will not harm either resin or ceramic, as it needs no abrasive assistance. Make up a solution of about a teaspoonful in a cup or so of water, apply with a brush or rag, rinse and wash your hands-----job done!

Fasttrack
02-28-2019, 06:49 PM
The BEST way to remove rust stains, (or bloodstains, for that matter,) is with oxalic acid. It works by reacting with the iron oxide, making a soluble compound, which will rinse away. Oxalic acid is poisonous, but is readily available as, for example, wood bleach. It will not harm either resin or ceramic, as it needs no abrasive assistance. Make up a solution of about a teaspoonful in a cup or so of water, apply with a brush or rag, rinse and wash your hands-----job done!

Isn't that the active ingredient in Oxyclean, too?

Edit: Never mind. Bar Keeper's Friend is oxalic acid. Oxiclean is hydrogen peroxide.