PDA

View Full Version : Quick change tool post QCTP for Wade 8a Lathe?

Darren M
03-02-2019, 09:06 AM
I've been looking around and even searched PM. Not surprisingly I've found no results on anyone using a QCTP on a Wade 8a lathe. Was curious if any of the Wade owners here have used one and if so which one(s).
My W8a will be function over fashion while nodding to the past with a firm eye on the now. Sorry to the purests. My W8a will don a QCTP, if it can. :)

reggie_obe
03-02-2019, 01:23 PM
9" swing lathe, AXA size.

Darren M
03-02-2019, 01:54 PM
Thanks Reggie!

old mart
03-02-2019, 03:46 PM
Am I right in thinking that AXA size is for 1/2" tools?

mattthegamer463
03-02-2019, 03:59 PM
Am I right in thinking that AXA size is for 1/2" tools?I use 12mm in mine, have to mill down the top of 16mm tools to get them to fit. Sometimes off the bottom as well, to get them to reach centre.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

CCWKen
03-02-2019, 04:01 PM
The default size is 1/2" but the XL holders go to 5/8". I just bought a couple of 5/8" tools to try out. The W carbide holder works great. I haven't had a chance to try the C carbide holder.

This is the set I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076WF7KZQ

Added:
Don't know if this link will work but Here's a sample of the 250-101-XL holder: https://www.amazon.com/OVERSIZE-CHANGE-TURNING-FACING-HOLDER/dp/B01MTV2IZK/ref=pd_bxgy_469_3/142-9541352-8871158?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MTV2IZK&pd_rd_r=7f948dc9-3d2f-11e9-9cbc-61e57e71bb01&pd_rd_w=s7sYq&pd_rd_wg=4ySaG&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=9TJHYP7J8SBYM1VJ67ZJ&psc=1&refRID=9TJHYP7J8SBYM1VJ67ZJ

Also, CDCO used to sell these but I couldn't find it in their online catalog.

old mart
03-02-2019, 04:12 PM
The reason I asked about tool size is that the 9" swing lathe I use has 20mm tools milled down to 17.53mm to avoid the bother of shimming.

1200rpm
03-02-2019, 05:58 PM
what really dictates what size tool post you use is the height from the top of the compound to the spindle centerline....generic size recommendations are just that, generic.

If I am reading the 8A specs correctly, it states 2.5" swing over compound, which would be 1.25" from compound top to spindle centerline....if so, then that is nearly optimal for the AXA size.

BCRider
03-02-2019, 06:23 PM
Am I right in thinking that AXA size is for 1/2" tools?

The slot is listed at 1/2". So 1/2" tools might or might not fit depending on if they are dead on or a touch oversize. Mostly I'd suggest that for a lathe suitable for using with an AXA that the better option would in fact be 3/8. And not just to fit the slot either. Looking at the AXA DIMENSIONS SKETCHES HERE (https://www.shars.com/quick-change-tool-post-set-wedge-type-111-axa) note that the tool holder would put the cutting edge up at around 15/16 for height. So for this to work out there has to be at least 15/16" from the top of the compound rest where the tool holder will mount to the center line of the headstock spindle. If that's not the case then the tool needs to be smaller for the cutting tip to sit lower.

Darren M
03-02-2019, 10:12 PM
You guys rock. I JUST got back from picking up my 8a and find this thread. I've got a long way to go before I need the QTCP, but now I know that it will work and which one to look for. :)

Ringo
03-02-2019, 10:31 PM
I have a 9" Logan. The OXA or AXA either would work OK. I have the AXA on my 9" logan, and it feels a bit big.
The AXA takes tools 'up to 1/2"'. But that doesn't mean it won't take a smaller one, it accepts up to 1/2" by default.
Certainly you can mount a lesser tool in it just fine. you can shim a smaller tool, and adjust the height of the holder itself too.
I got the wedge style, I heard the wedge style grips better than the piston type.
I think the AXA has more selection of holders than OXA.
With my AXA I found morse taper holder, 5C holder, and there are many more.

Paul Alciatore
03-02-2019, 11:24 PM
Or you can do what I did and make your own.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2262&d=1516225529

IMHO, it is better than the dovetail designs that are so popular. You can change the holders with one hand, in a single motion, and with NO TOOLS so it is hands down faster in use than any other design that I have seen. It has excellent positional repeatability in all three dimensions: my measurements showed +/- 0.0005" or better. And it is as sturdy as a tool holder can possibly be: the post is one solid piece of steel (or CI) with only a single, central hole for the mounting bolt. That mounting bolt places the post in compression so it is much like a piece of pre-stressed concrete which gains strength and rigidity from that applied force. The holder wraps completely around the post so the two essentially become a single, solid piece of metal with no gaps between them. There is over 4 1/2 square inches of solid contact between them. This is in contrast to the dovetail designs where the area of contact between them is limited to about 1/4 to 3/4 square inch, depending on the design. Note the comments about the wedge style of dovetail posts gripping better than the piston style. This is a problem with them and I do agree that the wedge style is better, but my design is clearly the best.

In anticipation of a frequently asked question, YES it does have a vertical position adjustment and even that is faster to use than the one on the dovetail style holders.

The one in the photo is on my SB-9 so it is probably just the right size for your lathe if it is also a 9". If not, the dimensions can be easily scaled up or down. It was designed for 5/16" tool bits and can also mount 1/4" ones.

A construction article was published in the Feb-Mar 2010 Machinist's Workshop magazine. Village Press (this BB's sponsor) still has back issues available according to their web site.

https://secure.villagepress.com/store/items/detail/page/4/item/2048

A somewhat later update of the article is available here for free:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SOUTHBENDLATHE/files/Homemade%20tooling/QCToolPostRb

And the latest version is available here:

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/quick-change-tool-post-lathe-52118

In addition to other, smaller updates, that latest version has a completely redesigned cutoff tool holder which works better than the original design.

JRouche
03-02-2019, 11:37 PM
I've been looking around and even searched PM. Not surprisingly I've found no results on anyone using a QCTP on a Wade 8a lathe. Was curious if any of the Wade owners here have used one and if so which one(s).
My W8a will be function over fashion while nodding to the past with a firm eye on the now. Sorry to the purests. My W8a will don a QCTP, if it can. :)

I am not even going to read any other posts cause it already went off the rails.

I like the QCTPs. I use the BXA size for my 10" southbend. It is almost too large. It is a 1/2" tool bit size holder. Some 5/8".

The AXA is a great holder for that sized lathe. It is a 3/8" tool holder. I love the size. Its small and can get into details.

I just want your Wade 8a though.. That is my last lathe buy PROMISE. :)

Darren M
03-03-2019, 12:07 AM
I am not even going to read any other posts cause it already went off the rails.

I like the QCTPs. I use the BXA size for my 10" southbend. It is almost too large. It is a 1/2" tool bit size holder. Some 5/8".

The AXA is a great holder for that sized lathe. It is a 3/8" tool holder. I love the size. Its small and can get into details.

I just want your Wade 8a though.. That is my last lathe buy PROMISE. :)

Well, this one has a long way to go before making chips, but I excited. Actually, looking forward to the journey of getting it going. I'll post some pics soon. Too late and cold to grab them now.
Thanks for your post!

sandiapaul
03-03-2019, 08:12 AM
I am pretty close to getting my 8a running and I think I will go with a KDK post. It's not quite as big as the Aloris and looks more "vintage" Alternatively the Myford Dickson stlye would make more sense for me personally as I have one on my Myford, but I think its a tad small.

Darren M
03-03-2019, 03:12 PM
I am pretty close to getting my 8a running and I think I will go with a KDK post. It's not quite as big as the Aloris and looks more "vintage" Alternatively the Myford Dickson stlye would make more sense for me personally as I have one on my Myford, but I think its a tad small.

Glad to hear you've made progress! Post up the results. Would love to see it.