X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark Hockett
    • Apr 2001

I need help with a mill switch

I have a early 90's vintage Well Setting milling machine. This is the typical 16 speed step pulley, 9"x 42" table Taiwanese mill. I am trying to replace the switch with one off of a Jet JTM-1 milling machine. I thought I had good pictures of the switch jumper configuration, but didn't. I removed a couple and now dont know which way they go back. Does anyone on this forum have a Jet JTM-1 mill that they could take a picture of the switch?

Thanks,
    Mark Hockett
    Last edited by Mark Hockett; 03-30-2019, 08:06 PM.
    Mark Hockett
  • Paul Alciatore
    • May 2002

Mark,

If you go to the web site of a company that sells electric and electronic switches, you will see not hundreds, not thousands, but tens of thousands of different switches. Some of those are compatible, but others, most of the others are not. You can not just assume that because a switch is used for a particular function on one milling machine, that it will be a direct replacement for the switch that performs that function on another. It just does not work that way.

Now, can your Jet switch be made to work on your Well Setting mill? Who knows? Perhaps they are exactly the same. Perhaps they are functionally the same but the wiring may be different. Perhaps they are totally different. You should have made detailed notes about how the old switch was wired BEFORE removing it. But you didn't.

There are a couple of things that may, and I did say MAY, help us to figure out what you can or can not do with this switch from the Jet mill.

First, post CLEAR photos of the two switches.

Second, try to locate wiring diagrams for the two mills: these will show what those two switches were doing.

Third, determine what kind of action the two switches have: momentary, alternate (push-on/push-off), toggle action, if toggle, how many positions, are any of the positions momentary (spring return) etc. Oh, and are they illuminated; do they have light bulbs inside them?

Last, look at both switches and see if you can make out any markings near the connection points. Look for things like "C" for Common; "NO" for Normally Open; "NC for Normally Closed; etc.

One more thing: Try to determine what Voltage each of these mills use for their control circuit: AC/DC, 12V/24V/115V, or what. The switches need to be rated for the proper Voltage if it is to last.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 03-30-2019, 09:59 PM.
    Paul A.
    s
    Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• Boostinjdm
      • Mar 2011

Single or 2 speed motor?

Comment

• Mark Hockett
        • Apr 2001

Boostinjdm, its a 2 speed 3ph motor
        Mark Hockett

Comment

• J Tiers
          • Jan 2004

Switches come in different flavors. So do controls that use them.

Some machines use the switch to directly control power. Others just operate relays with the switches.

Some switches have one section, on/off, with as many sections as there are power wires (3 for three phase, maybe just one to operate a relay). Others have several sections and may have plain on-off, or On-off-On, with one of the "on" being reverse and the other FWD.

Some switches have extra terminals for a light, maybe an independent light, sometimes for a light that is switched by the switch to show position.

There are an awful lot of switches

Unless someone has the exact switch and knows straight off what is up, you may be better off to show a pic of the setup, front side and connections. Manufacturer type as printed on the side of the switch if possible.
          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Mark Hockett
            • Apr 2001

Paul, Both switches are the same brand, same specs and same part number one is just a newer version. The newer version does the same job just using a different jumper routing. with the newer design, two of the terminal locations don't have threads for connecting a wire to. unfortunately I didn't see the blank terminals before I tried to reposition the jumpers to match my old one. I took pictures of the switch before I started the swap but somehow one side got deleted from my phone. I didn't notice the blank terminals until the last connections. The switch is a JKN cam switch with 28 terminals.
            Mark Hockett

Comment

• lakeside53
              • Nov 2007

urgh.. been there and I hate that. If you can't get the picture you need, you might be able to sleuth it out with an ohm meter.

Look on post 3 of this - there's some diagrams attached. First concentrate on the speed change (delta to wye, and incoming phase attachment), then the fwd/rev. The latter is dead easy - just any two phase wires are swapped.

Hi Folks, I've got an old Steinel Horizontal Mill made in "Western Germany" many years ago. Trying to get it running properly and safely. The motor is a 2 speed motor, 1 winding. The motor plate pic is attached. WYE/WYE winding is my understanding(from the "220 Y" on the plate) Nothing else is...
              Last edited by lakeside53; 03-31-2019, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Warren10
                • Apr 2019

Hello Mark,
                Pal would you like to go for switches from Industrial brands like: Dayton, Square D, Appleton Electric, JB Industries, etc.
                I bought some switches from a UK tool website & as far as I remember they were selling these brands. I've used these ones long time back..
                Motor Switch 30a 600v Dead-end Hub 1/2 3p | 13F809 - Pay in EUR/USD | Delivery across Europe, Middle East, Africa / SE Asia | +44 203 287 5224 | [email protected]

Manual Motor Switch IEC 30A 600V | 1H408 - Pay in EUR/USD | Delivery across Europe, Middle East, Africa / SE Asia | +44 203 287 5224 | [email protected]

Check out great deals on Square D Circuit Breakers, Electrical Contacts, Fuses, Transformers, Switches & Hand Tools | Express Shipping
                Last edited by Warren10; 04-19-2019, 05:04 AM.

Comment

• Mark Hockett
                  • Apr 2001

Thanks for the responses. I was able to contact Jet Tools and one of the tech-support guys took a picture of the switch for me. The machine is now up and running.
                  Thanks, Mark Hockett
                  Mark Hockett

Comment

Working...
                  X