PDA

View Full Version : For those trying to reproduce a decal on some project or overhauled machine, easy!

michigan doug
04-08-2019, 09:24 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Sunnyscopa-Inkjet-Decal-Transfer-sheets/dp/B076VHG9D1/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=waterslide+decal+paper&qid=1554729634&s=gateway&sr=8-6

You can now purchase "water slide" decal paper for either an ink jet printer, or a laser printer. So any image you can make on the computer, including color, you can now make into a real decal on clear decal paper. The ink jet version (for sure) you need to seal it with clear sealer so the water transfer process doesn't make the water soluble ink jet ink run. But still, for a buck a sheet, this adds a great tool for a lot of projects.

Galaxie
04-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Waterslide paper has been available for quite a few years in clear and white. I've used it to make decals for plastic models, model rockets, and once a guitar headstock logo. The biggest drawback to this type of decal process is very few printers can print white ink.

Second, if you trim too close to the printed ink, the water/setting solution can wick under the clear sealer and cause the ink to run. This is typically only an issue on white-background decals where the color has to be right at the edge.

Third, a lot of inkjet inks (including black) are translucent so the color of the background that the decal is placed on is important.

I believe there are companies that will print your design using an ALPS type printer and mail it to you. These are much better as the colors are solid pigments including white and metallics.

chipmaker4130
04-08-2019, 11:51 AM
To avoid the problems of sealing and then trying to water-transfer, I use clear (mat) self-adhesive paper from a local copy shop. They laser print my design and after application I spray with a clear finish for durability. Three years of abuse on a set of punches and the first ones are holding up fine.

Galaxie
04-08-2019, 11:56 AM
To avoid the problems of sealing and then trying to water-transfer, I use clear (mat) self-adhesive paper from a local copy shop. They laser print my design and after application I spray with a clear finish for durability. Three years of abuse on a set of punches and the first ones are holding up fine.

That's a great idea for situations where a super thin decal is unnecessary

J Tiers
04-08-2019, 07:05 PM
The "decals" some of the suppliers sell are not waterslide type, but instead, a clumsy and nasty-looking deal with the design on thick self-adhesive plastic. If you need water-slide to make it look like the original style, they look particularly fake and cheezy.

Tom S
04-08-2019, 09:02 PM
I'm going to throw a plug out there for a company called Decal Connection. They've got a great reputation among builders of fishing rods, and are great people to deal with. They'll make a custom decal that is self-adhesive, very thin, and can be printed in white if needed. It's a professional decal that is thinner than waterslide, and comes ready to go with a transfer sheet to make application easy. I've tried the self-print waterslides many times and ways, they are so much effort for a sub-par decal.

Here's an example of one of their decals:

https://i.imgur.com/xcRXFZT.jpg