PDA

View Full Version : Silvaloy Brazing Application ?

garagemark
04-10-2019, 11:31 AM
I need to butt join a 1/4" brass rod that I've rolled into a 4" diameter ring. I initially used a 60/40 solder, but it wasn't strong enough and promptly parted.

I have a coil of Silvaloy 450 brazing wire, but I do not have the proper flux for it. The website does not specifically state that this alloy can be used with brass. I assume it can.

Before I order a jar of "Ultra Flux" flux, I'd like to verify if alloy 45 is suitable for my use. If not I'll buy all new compatible materials.

Thanks for your expertise.

MattiJ
04-10-2019, 11:35 AM
I need to butt join a 1/4" brass rod that I've rolled into a 4" diameter ring. I initially used a 60/40 solder, but it wasn't strong enough and promptly parted.

I have a coil of Silvaloy 450 brazing wire, but I do not have the proper flux for it. The website does not specifically state that this alloy can be used with brass. I assume it can.

Before I order a jar of "Ultra Flux" flux, I'd like to verify if alloy 45 is suitable for my use. If not I'll buy all new compatible materials.

Thanks for your expertise.

Used for brass, brass or ...brass
https://www.lucasmilhaupt.com/EN/Products/SILVALOY-450.htm

garagemark
04-10-2019, 12:09 PM
Woah! That's not the site I saw earlier!

I withdraw the question.

Cheers.

Duffy
04-10-2019, 08:55 PM
Be advised that you cannot silver braze where you have previously used ANY lead-bearing solder. you will probably have to cut away both sides of the joint and make the ring a bit smaller.