PDA

View Full Version : What type of abrasive belts for steel?

Planeman41
04-13-2019, 10:38 AM
I have been using the abrasive belts made for wood on my old 6" x 48" Delta floor-mounted belt sander to occasionally work steel and iron. They do the job but soon wear out, plus they pretty much ruin a belt for wood.

I am wondering if there are better belts made for steel and iron that last a long time. Any thoughts from you guys? And where do you buy them?

MattiJ
04-13-2019, 11:08 AM
3M cubitron, Norton Blaze or other ceramic belts from other makes. Zirkonia belt if you want mid-range price/performance

Ohio Mike
04-13-2019, 01:25 PM
3M cubitron, Norton Blaze or other ceramic belts from other makes. Zirkonia belt if you want mid-range price/performance

^^^ yes... good belts cost a lot more but are well worth it.

LKeithR
04-13-2019, 02:23 PM
The blue Zirconia belts are the best value for your money. We run a couple different brands from
Europe--can't remember the name offhand but they're very good. We've tried the 3M Cubitron stuff
in sanding discs, grinding wheels and sanding belts and the extra cost is't worth it--they just don't
last that much longer. And, as far as I'm concerned, you should stay away from Norton. In 40+ years
of running our shop I never found a Norton product that I liked or that performed as well as the
European offerings...

Planeman41
04-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys! Blue Zirconia belts! I am going to search for them now!

LKeithR
04-14-2019, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys! Blue Zirconia belts! I am going to search for them now!

And if you're going to run the Zirconia belts--which I think is a very wise choice--run 24 or 36 grit if you really want
to remove some material. Don't mess around with 60 or 80 or 100 grit unless you are truly trying to get a super
fine finish. A 36 grit belt will soften up pretty quick as the edge wears off the abrasive. We just keep a few of the
older belts around for those times when we want a finer surface finish...

loose nut
04-14-2019, 01:45 PM
The blue Zirconia belts are the best value for your money. We run a couple different brands from
Europe--can't remember the name offhand but they're very good. We've tried the 3M Cubitron stuff
in sanding discs, grinding wheels and sanding belts and the extra cost is't worth it--they just don't
last that much longer. And, as far as I'm concerned, you should stay away from Norton. In 40+ years
of running our shop I never found a Norton product that I liked or that performed as well as the
European offerings...

Defiantly these ones. I have some on a small belt sander in my home shop, I don't remember the brand. There is a tear down the middle of one which hasn't affected its operation in the least. It's been there for many months now and since I'm retired and cheap I haven't changed it. Still going strong. Still cuts very well.

vpt
04-15-2019, 07:56 AM
Where is the best place to get belts from?

platypus2020
04-15-2019, 08:30 AM
And if you're going to run the Zirconia belts--which I think is a very wise choice--run 24 or 36 grit if you really want
to remove some material. Don't mess around with 60 or 80 or 100 grit unless you are truly trying to get a super
fine finish. A 36 grit belt will soften up pretty quick as the edge wears off the abrasive. We just keep a few of the
older belts around for those times when we want a finer surface finish...

I’ve found that the 50 grit seems to be a great choice, aggressive enough to cut, but fine enough, where I do not have to change belts to get a good finish. I have been using Carborundum 2” x 48” 50 grit belts on my Jancy RaduisMaster, for about 8+ yrs, at about 4000 fpm, they work great.

Planeman41
04-15-2019, 12:00 PM
"Run 24 or 36 grit if you really want to remove some material"

Thanks for the tip! I looked into the Zirconia belts but haven't ordered yet. Was thinking about 100 grit but will follow your suggestion when I order. I usually buy coarser wood abrasive belts to be able to use the worn down belts for finer work. I should have been thinking this way when I was looking.

Ain't this website a great place!

bborr01
04-15-2019, 12:05 PM
When I was still working for an employee, we went through a lot of belts on our belt sander in a toolroom with about 50 people using that sander. We switched to the blue zirconia belts and our usage dropped dramatically. I use them in my shop now too.

Brian

shawnspeed
04-15-2019, 12:11 PM
As far as where to buy... check out Benchmark Abrasives out of Arizona... I bought some 40 grit flapper discs for my 4 1/2" grinder, and some 2" quick locks for my die grinder and both are awesome... The flapper disc last more than double what I was getting out of the dewalt ones...both Blue zirconium...and the 2 inch I got in ceramic... the 4130 chrome molly barely touched it...And I have no affiliation with benchmark other than being a satisfied customer... oh I almost forgot... they are cheaper even with shipping than I can buy locally!

bborr01
04-15-2019, 01:01 PM
As far as where to buy... check out Benchmark Abrasives out of Arizona... I bought some 40 grit flapper discs for my 4 1/2" grinder, and some 2" quick locks for my die grinder and both are awesome... The flapper disc last more than double what I was getting out of the dewalt ones...both Blue zirconium...and the 2 inch I got in ceramic... the 4130 chrome molly barely touched it...And I have no affiliation with benchmark other than being a satisfied customer... oh I almost forgot... they are cheaper even with shipping than I can buy locally!

I had an ad show up on my facebook page for them. It was for ten or twelve flap disks for the price of shipping. I haven't tried them yet but probably will in the future. Thanks for the review.

Brian

MattiJ
04-15-2019, 03:01 PM
Some suppliers:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/best-place-to-buy-2x72-belts-best-price.860299/
Supergrit and Pops knife supply seem popular accross several forums

rickyb
04-15-2019, 06:15 PM
Where is the best place to get belts from?

I like AA Abrasives. Nice quality belts. Omni directional belts have a smoother seam that you may want to consider.

wierdscience
04-15-2019, 08:02 PM
Another vote for Zircon belts.

http://econabrasives.com/abrasive-belts/blue-zirconia-grinding-and-sharpening-belts.html