PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Used Albrecht Chuck

Tungsten dipper
04-13-2019, 07:22 PM
Bought a 1/8-5/8 Albrecht chuck for 50 bucks. Seem to work very smoothly. What can go wrong with it and how do I check it for accuracy?

darryl
04-13-2019, 07:55 PM
Just use it and marvel at how well it works.

SLK001
04-13-2019, 09:45 PM
If you're interested in cleaning your chuck, here is the proceedure. It also gives you the opportunity to check the condition of the jaws.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3748&d=1540215216

old mart
04-14-2019, 08:40 AM
Try checking with a range of drill sizes and a dti. Hopefully the runout will be 0.003" tir or better.
I have often wondered what the purpose of the collar is on these and some other makes of keyless.

Paul Alciatore
04-14-2019, 09:42 AM
The purpose of the collar? Wouldn't that be to hold it still while tightening and opening it? Keyless chucks are a two hand operation. That's one of the reasons why I don't use them. One hand to hold the drill, one to hold the collar, and one to tighten it. OK on a hand drill, but in a drill press or mill.....

SLK001
04-14-2019, 10:31 AM
One hand to hold the drill, one to hold the collar, and one to tighten it...

To tighten it up, yes, it takes two hands. To mount a bit into one, one hand to hold the bit, one hand to snug up the chuck. Once snug, the bit will remain where it is, so two hands to tighten it up is what it takes. A good keyless chuck will spin down to the drill bit just as easily as a keyed chuck.

cameron
04-14-2019, 11:09 AM
The purpose of the collar? Wouldn't that be to hold it still while tightening and opening it? Keyless chucks are a two hand operation. That's one of the reasons why I don't use them. One hand to hold the drill, one to hold the collar, and one to tighten it. OK on a hand drill, but in a drill press or mill.....

One for the drill, one for the collar, and one to tighten? That's three hands!

If it takes you three hands for a keyless chuck, I'd like to know how you manage with one hand for a keyed chuck.It can be done,of course, but if you have a second hand you might as well use it. It is easier and faster.

Hopefuldave
04-14-2019, 12:03 PM
One for the drill, one for the collar, and one to tighten? That's three hands!

If it takes you three hands for a keyless chuck, I'd like to know how you manage with one hand for a keyed chuck.It can be done,of course, but if you have a second hand you might as well use it. It is easier and faster.

left hand on the chuck, index and middle fingers wrapped around the hood, ring and pinky around the drill, start/stop the spindle - but I have hands like leather. Old boot leather.

Dave H. (the other one)

cameron
04-14-2019, 01:02 PM
left hand on the chuck, index and middle fingers wrapped around the hood, ring and pinky around the drill, start/stop the spindle - but I have hands like leather. Old boot leather.

Dave H. (the other one)

Yes, of course, but if you're using a keyed chuck, you have the key in your other hand ready to use, don't you?

And if someone with more delicate hands doesn't care to start the spindle, he still has the thumb and forefinger of the hand holding the drill to snug up the chuck. Either way, it seems more natural and slightly quicker to use the other hand for the key, if the hand is not needed to hold the work on the table.

So, normally a two-handed operation, with keyed or keyless chuck.

old mart
04-14-2019, 01:28 PM
They don't all have the collar, even in Morse taper: https://www.cutwel.co.uk/tool-holding/spindle-tooling/morse-taper/morse-taper-drill-chucks/morse-taper-integral-drill-chuck
I have an Albrecht 0-10mm and a Porta 2-16mm with the collar also.

cc2
04-14-2019, 08:33 PM
Another tip I read.

Do not put the drill bit all the way up into the Chuck.

rklopp
04-14-2019, 11:01 PM
Another tip I read.

Do not put the drill bit all the way up into the Chuck.

Interesting. I usually butt the drill all the way in so I don’t lose my Z offset when drilling on the CNCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doozer
04-15-2019, 09:01 AM
Interesting. I usually butt the drill all the way in so I don’t lose my Z offset when drilling on the CNCs.

Most people use ER collet holders for holding drill bits in CNC machines.
They have a backstop to hold the Z in place.
An Albrecht chuck is totally variable where the tool is in the Z.

-Doozer

Doozer
04-15-2019, 09:11 AM
As a side note to this thread...
I have bought a few (3) of the Shars brand keyless chucks.
Their premium line that is about $55 to $85 depending on
if you get it with the shank or not. Anyhow, I am super pleased
with them. I have one with the separate shank on my Jig Borer
and I get half a thou of runout. I a super pleased with that.
So go ahead and flame Doozer for buying import tooling.
I am very selective about what I buy on the cheap.
But I was not going to pay $300+ for a German Albrecht chuck.
I just thought I would pass on my good experience with Shars
keyless chucks.

-Doozer

old mart
04-15-2019, 09:54 AM
My Cutwell 1/2", 13mm with integral R8 shank looks exactly like the Shars chucks, probably made in the same factory. Mine has 0.0015" tir which is good enough for me.

DR
04-15-2019, 11:44 AM
I recently sold my two Albrecht 1/2" chucks because I got tired of the hassle of loosening them when they self tightened beyond hand force under heavy load. Out of frustration there was always the temptation to use a pipe wrench.

And there was the issue if them loosening under reverse rotation if used to hold a tap.

bborr01
04-15-2019, 12:26 PM
Anyone that can't figure out how to use a Albrecht chuck should maybe take up knitting.

Brian

rklopp
04-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Most people use ER collet holders for holding drill bits in CNC machines.
They have a backstop to hold the Z in place.
An Albrecht chuck is totally variable where the tool is in the Z.

-Doozer

Obviously your mileage varies from mine. Besides, “most people” don’t run machine tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tungsten dipper
04-24-2019, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the replies!
Bought a Shars R8-JT6 collet (23 bucks with shipping) it has .0007 run-out and with the used Albrecht Chuck, holding a gage pin it has a total run-out of .001.2.

Lew Hartswick
04-24-2019, 09:27 PM
Anyone that can't figure out how to use a Albrecht chuck should maybe take up knitting.

BrianAbsolutely . Such should not be allowed to own any precision tooling. :-)
...lew...

old mart
04-25-2019, 12:53 PM
I know how: don't run it in reverse. My keyless Kawasaki chucks will rum in either direction of course.