PDA

View Full Version : I see craigslist is about to start charging for vehicle listings

metalmagpie
04-13-2019, 10:33 PM
It's about like newspaper classifieds cost when I was young, about five bucks a week. I for one am delighted. I am sick to death of hugely inflated prices caused by completely free advertising. Expect vehicle prices to drop sharply as people have to start pricing to make sure something sells rather than top dollar.

I wish they'd do this everywhere. That would be a game changer.

metalmagpie

https://www.seattlepi.com/cars/article/Craigslist-will-start-charging-to-list-your-car-13762758.php

lakeside53
04-13-2019, 10:39 PM
I doubt the listing price will drop. The sales price will always be what it is in the market unless the buyer is an idiot :) What it might do is stop dealers from pretending to be private sellers to avoid the fee.

outlawspeeder
04-14-2019, 12:20 AM
I stopped using CL do to the repeat ads. The tire and auto lots with the same ad over and over.

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-14-2019, 12:26 AM
I can't imagine why anyone would think free advertising is somehow synonymous with "hugely inflated prices".

dave_r
04-14-2019, 04:08 AM
I think kijiji (which I believe is now owned by ebay) here in Canada may be heading that way, as they are trying to build up a separate kijijiauto website (the auto website actually seems to have poorer searches and less info than auto ads on the main kijiji site).

metalmagpie
04-14-2019, 09:51 AM
I can't imagine why anyone would think free advertising is somehow synonymous with "hugely inflated prices".

To understand this, you need to put yourself in the seller's mind right at the point they are deciding what price to ask for. If they have to pay for their listing on a weekly basis, they know they'd better not ask an unreasonably high price because it will just cost them more money. On the other hand, if the listings are free, they think "why not ask the moon? Maybe someone will pay!" and then they go ahead and list it with an inflated price. As time goes by, other sellers see those high listing prices and start falling into line. Prices go up and up. After a few years they are hugely inflated. That's what I mean.

metalmagpie

metalmagpie
04-14-2019, 09:53 AM
I stopped using CL do to the repeat ads. The tire and auto lots with the same ad over and over.

It's too bad you stopped. CL now has a button "bundle duplicates" which gets rid of a lot of over and overness.

metalmagpie

lakeside53
04-14-2019, 12:42 PM
Time will tell, but I think the vehicle resale market is well known to both sellers and buyers. Car sales are everywhere and listed in many locations, not just CL. Private sellers and Buyers know what the market is asking, and Kelly Blue book (and several other sources) are available at the touch of a few keys. Car sale yards aren't going to adjust their prices because of private sellers on CL, so that underpins the market.

While there will always be sellers with unrealistic exceptions, the majority want to get rid of the car at a price somewhat more than they would get from a Car Dealer or auction, but the bottom line is they want to sell it. Every price listed is just a max starting point, no matter what they may say. And even 10 weeks at $5 a week is only $50.

H380
04-14-2019, 06:00 PM
It might cut down on the scammers also if a verified card is needed to pay for the ad.