PDA

View Full Version : OT; Win7...is this the end, my friend?

QSIMDO
04-19-2019, 09:38 AM
Got a notice from Microsoft this morning to "back up or pack up" but when I went to task scheduler all the files are corrupted and won't
function.

Error 0x80041321

Any other way to back up to external hard drive or should I go shopping?

Bob La Londe
04-19-2019, 10:59 AM
I always used an external drive for local backups I can control. I actually have multiple backups of important stuff in multiple locations. All physically secured. I never understood the massive push for cloud based computing and cloud based storage.

Not sure about the rest of your post. I know I really like W7Pro64 as a machine controller. The granular control of processor usage is pretty nice. I never would have dreamed of running some of the huge code files I run today on the old single processor W98 machines I started with.

QSIMDO
04-19-2019, 11:07 AM
I have a external drive but it won't function because of the file corruption Error 0x80041321.
So I can't back up from today to take my up-to-date files to a Win 10 machine.

I do have a backup from about a month ago so could I just use that when I migrate to a Win 10 machine?

pinstripe
04-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Have you tried this?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/6d9781e1-ac66-4488-b7d5-d09d8c26a9b0/win-7-backup-error-0x80041321?forum=w7itproui

QSIMDO
04-19-2019, 12:43 PM
Have you tried this?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/6d9781e1-ac66-4488-b7d5-d09d8c26a9b0/win-7-backup-error-0x80041321?forum=w7itproui

That's from 2011.
It's apparently irrelevant at this date.

pinstripe
04-19-2019, 01:35 PM
That's from 2011.
It's apparently irrelevant at this date.

You may be right, but the last comment saying that it worked was from 2017.

Magicniner
04-19-2019, 03:56 PM
No.
Win7 is fine for the moment, although the end is nigh! :D

martik
04-19-2019, 04:34 PM
Remove the HDD from the external case and try installing it internally to your motherboard.. Run diagnostics such as seatools on it.

mihit
04-19-2019, 05:19 PM
Skip the windows crap.
Make/find/beg/borrow a Linux LiveCD. Image the entire disk (dd) (you will need another disk the same size or larger, ideally connected by SATA or USB3+ or else it will take much longer)
Work on file recovery from the image. Quite likely all your files are fine and windows has just windowsed.

You can check (badblocks) and format (mkfs) the original disk at this point, do a clean OS install and copy your FILES back over.

SLK001
04-19-2019, 05:27 PM
Have you tried "chkdsk C: /B"? Once you enter the command, Windows will ask you if you want to restart now (the main OS cannot be running with this command - a repair OS is started at the next startup). It is worth a shot.

rws
04-19-2019, 05:34 PM
I thought there was nothing wrong with XP! I had to put up with W7 at work, when I was working. My wife had to get a new laptop that cam with W10. Not impressed, but she has found how to get away from their over-reach to a degree.

I had a laptop with Ubuntu. There are many things that are doable. If you want to search the web, email, etc. you can get by fine. But if you want to interface with many websites, games, applications, they won't swallow Linux. And if you need support, you don't have a "professional" means of advise and help. You get on a forum and wait for someone to reply, and you have no idea how reputable the advice is.

I'm using a MAC right now, and all I do is what I stated about Linux, but even my limited use, I find where even Apple won't work with some internet software. Just today I wanted to post a picture, on the MAC it's a jpeg. The website wouldn't take it, had to be a jpg. Frustrating.

H380
04-19-2019, 09:27 PM
Win 8 support is stopping this summer. 8.1 is 2023. https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2018/08/20/important-dates-regarding-apps-with-windows-phone-8-x-and-earlier-and-windows-8-8-1-packages-submitted-to-microsoft-store/

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-20-2019, 10:12 AM
Gaud I love computers, except when they disobey!

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/funny_computer2.jpg

Corbettprime
04-20-2019, 10:59 AM
The only problem with computers is that they do EXACTLY what you tell them to do!

chipmaker4130
04-20-2019, 11:20 AM
The only problem with computers is that they do EXACTLY what you tell them to do!

Until they don't. Like when files get corrupted or hardware decides to glitch.
Or when the almighty microsoft forces incompatible 'updates' that don't work, and make it difficult to undo because said update disabled all the user inputs. Of course, the almighty ms never makes a mistake. Arrogant bastards.

Luckily, I finally permanently disabled updates on my win10 tablet, but that was time consuming and difficult, since the almighty doesn't 'allow' it.

J Tiers
04-20-2019, 11:45 AM

Luckily, I finally permanently disabled updates on my win10 tablet, but that was time consuming and difficult, since the almighty doesn't 'allow' it.

So, now MS can take your Win 10 license away and brick the computer, since AFAIK, you have violated the user agreement.

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-20-2019, 12:26 PM
So, now MS can take your Win 10 license away and brick the computer, since AFAIK, you have violated the user agreement.

Allways a Debbie Downer....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObdC3uhPeEY

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-20-2019, 12:31 PM

And they sometimes make too many assumptions.

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/funny_computer3.png

chipmaker4130
04-20-2019, 12:57 PM

They don't care! What's more, the computer is useless with the updates, functional without. So, I comply with their update mandate and don't have a usable computer, or they 'brick' it and I don't have a usable computer. Sixes? Honestly Jerry, you and I both know that that's not going to happen.

RB211
04-20-2019, 01:17 PM
Ending support simply means no more updates, no fixes for security flaws. You can still run Dos 6.22 and Win 3.1 if you wanted to.
I used to have fond memories of old games I used to play. Tried resurrecting them with emulators, and determined that they all were best left as fond memories.
No different with OS's. New hardware needs new OS's, new hardware runs much cooler, much less energy used, much faster. Win10 is rock solid.
Keep up with the times, stay upgraded, enjoy the performance that is offered.
I'll give you that Win8 was a disaster with that stupid UI that was the brain child of Ballmer, a stupid CEO who doesn't know anything about computers, or airplanes for that matter. Good riddance to that fiasco.

Lew Hartswick
04-20-2019, 10:24 PM
Ending support simply means no more updates, no fixes for security flaws. You can still run Dos 6.22 and Win 3.1 if you wanted to..
OK I'll bite . Where or how can I get a copy of Win XP and how can I load/use it ?? I have a slide scanner that I bought when I had XP and can't figure out how to make it work with 7 .
...lew...

martik
04-20-2019, 10:51 PM
https://softlay.net/operating-system/windows-xp-sp3-iso-full-version-free-download.html

google dual boot windows 7 xp

or create a virtual machine with Oracle VM or VMware (This allows you to run XP under 7 8 or 10)

RB211
04-21-2019, 12:20 AM
https://softlay.net/operating-system/windows-xp-sp3-iso-full-version-free-download.html

google dual boot windows 7 xp

or create a virtual machine with Oracle VM or VMware (This allows you to run XP under 7 8 or 10)

Yes, as far as XP, used to pirate it off torrents

old mart
04-21-2019, 01:04 PM
My cousin has my old w7 pc, to use offline with Photoshop CS2. Stay offline and W7 should last the life of the pc that it's on. I mostly use W10 these days, having taken advantage of the free update from W7 and W8.

Sparky_NY
04-21-2019, 02:15 PM
My cousin has my old w7 pc, to use offline with Photoshop CS2. Stay offline and W7 should last the life of the pc that it's on. I mostly use W10 these days, having taken advantage of the free update from W7 and W8.

That is pretty much what I do. I have a pc with Win7 64 bit that I use almost exclusively for Fusion 360 cad/cam and running my 3d printer. I have comodo firewall running on it and block all internet access except for autodesk fusion360 access. My win7 is locked in time. I don't care about updates and fixes because it only accesses the one site online.

All my other computers are under Linux with no virus protection for over 6 years now. I wouldn't use windows if it wasn't for Fusion360 and driving the 3d printer.

old mart
04-21-2019, 03:35 PM
Three phase, what's the size of the hard drive on the left side of that pc you have in #13?

QSIMDO
04-22-2019, 08:50 AM
Apparently it healed itself as another attempt to backup went perfectly.
Go figure.

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-22-2019, 08:57 AM
Three phase, what's the size of the hard drive on the left side of that pc you have in #13?

It's a USA adult size 10.5"

J Tiers
04-22-2019, 09:45 AM
They don't care! What's more, the computer is useless with the updates, functional without. So, I comply with their update mandate and don't have a usable computer, or they 'brick' it and I don't have a usable computer. Sixes? Honestly Jerry, you and I both know that that's not going to happen.

They would not bother to, if only for avoiding bad PR.

But, legally they could, and they might do it a few times just to validate the UA, so they can cite those to avoid a claim that the UA was never enforced. Similar, perhaps, to defending a patent to avoid losing it.

mihit
04-22-2019, 10:41 PM
Apparently it healed itself as another attempt to backup went perfectly.
Go figure.

No no no. There's none of that. It's on it's way out (Windows, or less likely, the drive)

FIX the issue, or be ready to put your backups to the test.

Mcgyver
04-23-2019, 09:48 AM
Ending support simply means no more updates, no fixes for security flaws. You can still run Dos 6.22 and Win 3.1 if you wanted to.

I think the difference is there was an identifiable benefit to moving from the old to the new with those earlier editions. I don't see that with say win 7 to win 10. I resent it as I see a big cost in time figuring out the differences/learning the new....for, as far as I can see, zero improvement. I would have bought a new laptop months ago if there was a selection with Win7, instead i'll keep using the old until it falls apart ITs not about coping with change, nobody charges ahead to face more crazy assed changes and challenges than me, but forced change for the sake of it really pisses me off to the point were I pine for a MS free world....increasingly there are choices and the ill will they create lingers.

As for updates, too much time wasted trying fix problems caused by a flawed update trying fix flawed software. I haven't updated in ages. Maybe that's nuts, I don't know, but for sure what is nuts is wasting my day off trying fix the crap that no longer works after their updates. Grrrrr

loose nut
04-23-2019, 10:01 AM
You can use W7 as long as you want without support as was already stated. Eventually you will run out of new software that will run on it and will be stuck running older stuff. It will be like running a Linux machine, you can do it but try running new mainstream software. On the plus side eventually people will quit writing malware that will work on it.

There is an open source windows compatible OS called React that can be downloaded for free and it works. The down side of it is it looks like XP and so far will only work with software compatible with XP so why not just run XP???

Lew Hartswick
04-23-2019, 10:57 AM
There is an open source windows compatible OS called React that can be downloaded for free and it works. The down side of it is it looks like XP and so far will only work with software compatible with XP so why not just run XP???
So where is this available ?? I've been trying to re-install XP for ages .
...lew...

J Tiers
04-23-2019, 12:33 PM
The problem comes when the internet access programs are no linger compatible, and nobody has a new one. Even older programs often need access, so when they are not compatible, you are no longer able to use them.

Jon Heron
04-23-2019, 03:49 PM
I have no idea why anyone would stick with windoze, you are all masochists.
You can even run Fusion 360 on linux now, thanks to Proton...
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/running-fusion-360-installer-on-linux-through-proton-libraries/td-p/8411583
Even if linux is too "hard" for you why not switch to crapple? Though I cant stand their business plan at least they have a stable platform, especially compared to windoze.
Cheers,
Jon

chipmaker4130
04-23-2019, 05:00 PM
So where is this available ?? ..

https://www.reactos.org/

loose nut
04-23-2019, 07:48 PM
So where is this available ?? I've been trying to re-install XP for ages .
...lew...

Do a search on Youtube, there are videos demonstrating it.

Georgineer
04-24-2019, 12:55 PM
Does anybody know if any of the dire predictions came true after support for XP ended? I seem to recall that the sky was going to fall, great monsters would arise from the deep, and so on. Did it happen, or did XP users just carry on without problems? I'm inclined to stick with W7 if it doesn't look too problematic.

George

QSIMDO
04-24-2019, 01:36 PM
Does anybody know if any of the dire predictions came true after support for XP ended? I seem to recall that the sky was going to fall, great monsters would arise from the deep, and so on. Did it happen, or did XP users just carry on without problems?

George

Yup!
Inside the 495 beltway.

loose nut
04-24-2019, 03:08 PM
Does anybody know if any of the dire predictions came true after support for XP ended? I seem to recall that the sky was going to fall, great monsters would arise from the deep, and so on. Did it happen, or did XP users just carry on without problems? I'm inclined to stick with W7 if it doesn't look too problematic.

George

People are still using XP, what they can do with it I don't know.

Georgineer
04-24-2019, 03:18 PM
Yup!
Inside the 495 beltway.

Thanks for your comment Len, but I'm afraid I'll need to have it interpreted for me...

George

QSIMDO
04-24-2019, 06:40 PM
Pardon, I didn't notice your location.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_495_(Capital_Beltway)

J Tiers
04-24-2019, 09:02 PM

George

No program updates, so of limited use for internet access, as new versions of most anything you need for that are hard to find.. That makes a big difference in the general usability.

People are still using XP, what they can do with it I don't know.

Silly man!

All sorts of programs which do nit need internet access still work as well as ever. Older CAD, Engineering analysis and simulation, to start with. Then also I have a financial records computer which never sees the internet (near NSA security), and that works fine with XP.

For some things, I have computers that run DOS, and original Windows. The programs are still useful and they do NOT run in XP, even with the so-called "compatibility window".

it's all the pliant and obedient sheeple who nod their heads and say goodby to their old computers and data because "all the old computers will stop working..... Microsoft said they were dangerous to use"

chipmaker4130
04-24-2019, 10:42 PM
I still use two XP machines, both are net-connected. I use Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro and haven't had any security issues. I have a great, simple image editing program that does what I need and won't run on anything newer. Photoshop is too cumbersome by comparison.

metalmagpie
04-25-2019, 08:41 AM
Don't have much input re content, but I heartily applaud the title of this thread with its reference to the 1960s Doors song. Well done!

metalmagpie

loose nut
04-25-2019, 10:21 AM
No program updates, so of limited use for internet access, as new versions of most anything you need for that are hard to find.. That makes a big difference in the general usability.

Silly man!

All sorts of programs which do nit need internet access still work as well as ever. Older CAD, Engineering analysis and simulation, to start with. Then also I have a financial records computer which never sees the internet (near NSA security), and that works fine with XP.

For some things, I have computers that run DOS, and original Windows. The programs are still useful and they do NOT run in XP, even with the so-called "compatibility window".

it's all the pliant and obedient sheeple who nod their heads and say goodby to their old computers and data because "all the old computers will stop working..... Microsoft said they were dangerous to use"

I did mention that it would run older programs!!! Nothing wrong with them.

aribert
04-29-2019, 01:56 PM
My workshop garage laptop is an old Dell XP laptop - I hot spot from my phone for internet access. I read this forum (and PM) on it when I take my lunch break. I have a free anti-virus program on it (and no critical or sensitive data). I'd like to update to a (used) Win 7 laptop for the faster speed. I have need for a serial port on my laptop for connecting to a wide band oxygen sensor for carburetor (remember those?) tuning and a lot of newer laptops that came out with Win7 no longer have the serial port. Hence I keep using this dinosaur.

Our home computer is a refurbished laptop bought from MicroCenter a few years ago. Win10 had already been released at the time of purchase. The refurb laptop came with downgrade rights to Win7 (reason why we bought a refurb laptop). I never bothered activated Win10 on that machine.

Doozer
04-29-2019, 04:51 PM
I have Windows 7 on my home computer.
When I got it new, I turned off all automatic updates.
That was like 5 years ago.
Still running flawlessly with no problems and no updates.
Am I lucky not to get a virus attack or ???

-Doozer