PDA

View Full Version : the greatest automotive inventions of all time

aostling
04-19-2019, 10:35 PM
When I think back on all the precious weekends of my youth spent working on cars, I'll nominate

(1) spark plugs which last forever,
(2) sealed suspension joints,
(3) self-adjusting tappets

What inventions set you free?

danlb
04-19-2019, 10:49 PM
There are several that compete for "greatest" in my mind.

First is the air conditioner. I've lived in places were the summer temps hit 115 degrees, and without AC it's miserable.

Second is the Toyota version of the hybrid drive system. A car which seats 5 and gets 50+ MPG while also providing great longevity and drivability is a miracle compared to the cars I bought back in the 1960s.

Third is electronic ignition. I was not bothered by the 3,000 mile tuneup, but it was a hassle. I still have a timing light but have not used it since the 80s.

Dan

martik
04-19-2019, 11:07 PM
Last car I "scrapped" had 330k, never changed the plugs or any ignition or suspension part. I did have to rebuild/replace the starter, alternator,radio and stretched timing chain though. I scrapped it cuz I got $6,000 for it on an EV rebate. The car (2003 Accord) was worthless since it burned 1-2 qts of oil / week. A common problem with the 03-07 Accords.

I won't even start to mention the greatness of EV's where our gas is $7.76/gal ($6.50/ US gal)

04-19-2019, 11:48 PM
Ketterings electric starter..
Indian tried it in 1914, then went away from it, batteries were not that great yet..

Electric lighting was big m no more making your own carbide..

04-19-2019, 11:50 PM
Fuel injection, started to get developed reliably around the 50,s.
Tubeless tires, and radials.. gamechangers..

CalM
04-19-2019, 11:51 PM
reliable tires
Schrader valves
internal combustion

04-19-2019, 11:58 PM
Of course assembly lines for production.
Some credit Henry Ford, but bicycle makers were ahead of Ford.
TURRET top roof construction in the 30s,
Robot welders were a huge help. I was in the Munich BMW plant in the late 90,s, to see the front rear and mid section of s car going together in a short distance was amazing. Passsenger compartment in middle, front and rear coming from above and below floors. . Very effecient..
And QC,they had a very large thick granite surface plate, with an entire car body on it, and they were checking the measurements.

doctor demo
04-20-2019, 12:27 AM
Crumple zones
Disc brakes
Air bags

Steve

martik
04-20-2019, 12:41 AM
Android auto
4G LTE + WI-FI hotspot, built-in GPS
Infotainment system and voice recognition
Adaptive cruise control (ACC)
360 camera
Lane departure warning
Remote "Start" via phone or FOB
Dash cam
TPMS

Bob La Londe
04-20-2019, 12:41 AM
Metal casting.

04-20-2019, 12:43 AM
Casting was around a long time before cars.
Slumped glass was another good one.. could you imagine a car now, with flat glass . Lol..

PStechPaul
04-20-2019, 12:56 AM
Lithium batteries
3 phase AC traction motors
VFD controllers
LED lamps
CANBUS

martik
04-20-2019, 01:10 AM
Providing the means to kill 1.25 million people per year (41,000 in the USA). Sweden has a plan to reduce this to zero by 2020 https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/04/sweden-zero-vision-traffic-road-deaths/

CalM
04-20-2019, 02:23 AM
Android auto
360 camera
Lane departure warning
Dash cam
TPMS

Non of these technologies do a thing for MY driving or wrenching enjoyment.

To each their own. First world issues I suppose.

martik
04-20-2019, 02:33 AM
I used to think that way too, before I got most of them.

To warm up the interior and defog the windows remotely in winter is heaven

plunger
04-20-2019, 02:38 AM
Most of these things mentioned are a curse . I miss the days of basic technology.Points and condenser,etc. I used to be able to fix my own car. Now I have to pay 100 dollars for the stealers just to plug in to the on board computer to find out whats wrong. In the old days whats wrong would be obvious.

04-20-2019, 02:42 AM
I used to think that way too, before I got most of them.

To warm up the interior and defog the windows remotely in winter is heaven

Not riding a motorcycle in the winter can be nice, and not having a heater, aint the best..
If I drive a car or truck with working heater, that's good enough for me..

martik
04-20-2019, 02:57 AM
Most of these things mentioned are a curse . I miss the days of basic technology.Points and condenser,etc. I used to be able to fix my own car. Now I have to pay 100 dollars for the stealers just to plug in to the on board computer to find out whats wrong. In the old days whats wrong would be obvious.

I agree, I've diagnosed and repaired cars all my life, but at this later stage I want to spoil myself and especially the wife, will buy new before the warranty runs out.

BTW, you can buy an OBDII to plug into your car for under $10 that works with your phone to read codes.

alanganes
04-20-2019, 07:38 AM
Providing the means to kill 1.25 million people per year (41,000 in the USA). Sweden has a plan to reduce this to zero by 2020 https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/04/sweden-zero-vision-traffic-road-deaths/

According to that article, they have already pushed the target date out to 2050. It's certainly a noble goal, but zero is a pretty small number.

Doozer
04-20-2019, 07:52 AM
Ketterings electric starter..
Indian tried it in 1914, then went away from it, batteries were not that great yet..

Electric lighting was big m no more making your own carbide..

Yes yes. The Kettering electric starter was the first thing to come to my mind.
Good call.

-Doozer

Doozer
04-20-2019, 08:00 AM
Android auto
360 camera
Lane departure warning
Dash cam
TPMS

These features in a car are pure ridiculous.
I would not drive a car with that shlt if you paid me.
No freaking way.
I guess it is just another way that you worship your
video game god. Drive the car. Get off your damn phone.
Stop playing with technical gizmos and pay attention to the road.
Learn how to drive and stay off the technocracy.

-Doozer

chipmaker4130
04-20-2019, 09:09 AM
How about pressurized, closed-loop engine cooling? I've driven atmospheric systems and you have to have lots of water available you if operating for log periods. (I never had to drive a car like that, but tractor, yes.)

Orrin
04-20-2019, 09:38 AM
Electrical system, including starter, lights and windshield wipers
High tension ignition. (Early engines used "make and break" ignition)
Oil pump (early engines used drip oiling--the sump needed to be drained from time to time, such as on Ford's first Model A)

Black Forest
04-20-2019, 09:53 AM
Android auto
360 camera
Lane departure warning
Dash cam
TPMS

You must be 18 years old!

Black Forest
04-20-2019, 09:54 AM
I would not drive a car with that shlt if you paid me.
No freaking way.
I guess it is just another way that you worship your
video game god. Drive the car. Get off your damn phone.
Stop playing with technical gizmos and pay attention to the road.
Learn how to drive and stay off the technocracy.

-Doozer

What was that about you being a nice cool headed teddy bear!:cool:

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-20-2019, 10:21 AM
When I think back on all the precious weekends of my youth spent working on cars, I'll nominate
(1) spark plugs which last forever,
(2) sealed suspension joints,
(3) self-adjusting tappets

What inventions set you free?

Fuel injection and electronic ignition
Climate control
Navigation systems
Collision Avoidance Systems

A.K. Boomer
04-20-2019, 11:21 AM
We all seem to be subject to the era in which we grew up, and some of you guys who are talking about the electric starter and pneumatic tires better get some life insurance soon lol

but all good points just the same - think about having to go out and fire up the ford "by hand" in -20F weather... if you ever did have to do that you would consider the electric starter a godsend...

for me i started wrenching mid 70's - so most of that means I was working on 60's and earlier tech,,, and over the years Iv seen so many changes I could write a book,,,

but I will try to bring up the honorable mentions, and probably at least how I see it the most important first, and I must be getting old because im going to have to choose safety first due to such piss poor examples from the past - you know - large pot metal horn buttons shaped like a bullet aimed directly at your chest type thing...

The dual master cylinder,power disc brakes and now that were already talking about the subject in another post the cartridge bearing, tempered safety glass on all side and rear windows - lap AND shoulder belt restraint systems,

Now we can start talking performance and efficiency,

Fuel injection and electronic ignition, these two stand alone and were major game changers,

synchromesh manual transmissions,
The constant velocity joint, transverse mounted front wheel drive,
OHC and DOHC
The steel belted radial tire...

To me the best of the best era was when all this stuff started coming together and got refined and nobody on the planet put together a car like the japanese did in the early to mid 90's they had it all figured out and were by far the most practical thinking auto makers in the world,,,

now fast forward - not much improvement on vehicles at all in fact a rapid decline in many ways, although some honorable mentions of this newer era are? Like Danlb stated the progress with certain hybrids has been amazing, engine management has been the best it's ever been in many a way, but things are also getting very complex,,,
the intervention systems are total rubbish and should be abolished - like others have said you can take all that crap and shove it,,, you are not only creating worse automobiles - your creating worse people who drive them and it's already showing and now will do nothing but decline,,,

there's a few cool technical things that are not "must have's" but aid in making driving more efficient and or fun,,, but we have been pretty stagnant in trying to come up with some of the huge gains that we have seen from the past, however - there is one modern day game changer that cannot be denied, and no - it's not the "el lame O de-luxo" cvt transmission that can hardly pull it's own weight ---
Direct injection gas is the biggest thing since sliced bread - still in it's infancy and already blowing everything out of the water,,, it is the very definition of the word "game changer" and about the only thing Iv seen in the past few decades that has impressed me...

Arcane
04-20-2019, 12:25 PM
I agree with A.K. Boomer. Some of the other stuff is really nice, but the improvements in safety are in my book the most important ones.

Mcgyver
04-20-2019, 12:45 PM

its the guys opinion, what is it that makes you guys need to go on the attack all the time?

Guido
04-20-2019, 12:54 PM
Stretches 'yer imagination just a bit, but John McAdam of Scotland, inventor of flexible roadways can be credited with the mcadam roadway.

enginuity
04-20-2019, 01:40 PM
I like all the mechanical inventions stated.

But I think what the automotive industry did that is even more important is Total Quality Management and the Toyota Production System.

No other industry has been able to manufacture product as inexpensively and with as high of quality as the automotive manufacturing system that continuously pushes innovation and improvement. In particular the Toyota system is a significant accomplishment given how it was the Japanese who forced the Americas (and the Brits) to build more reliable, fuel efficient products.

A.K. Boomer
04-20-2019, 01:54 PM
its the guys opinion, what is it that makes you guys need to go on the attack all the time?

Sorry but the Dooz is right on this one - take another look at the guys "opinion" another cue as to a spoiled society so far removed from whats really important and in fact we got old timers on here talking about the electric starter and how they don't have to risk a broken arm while this guys talking about remote starting and voice recognition,,,

sorry but the writings been on the wall now for quite sometime - were all turning into a bunch of spineless douchebags that need to die... it's a coming - right around the corner, these things have a way of taking care of themselves...

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-20-2019, 02:07 PM

Some folks are behind the curve.

04-20-2019, 02:13 PM
I actually like driving a car of riding a motorcycle, it requires attention.
Being able to get down the road with far less input, would bore me.

Just like machining, I like twirling the dials.. I mean not on a hundred pieces.
But watching a machine cut noises or two side would make me twitchy..

But to each their own..

We can blame Kettering for al, the female drivers. .. lol..

Mcgyver
04-20-2019, 02:24 PM
Sorry but the Dooz is right on this one - take another look at the guys "opinion" another cue as to a spoiled society so far removed from whats really important and in fact we got old timers on here talking about the electric starter and how they don't have to risk a broken arm while this guys talking about remote starting and voice recognition,,,
\..

AK, my post has zero to do with his opinion or if you anyone agrees with it.

A.K. Boomer
04-20-2019, 02:43 PM
Yes I know buy you asked why "on the attack" and it's because many of us feel like were under attack from this type of thinking, and some might even have the foresight to see it as very dangerous. so yeah kinda triggers a response and not a very good one...

danlb
04-20-2019, 03:56 PM

The flip side to this is that, on a well designed and built car, you seldom have to do any of those old maintenance routines. I have not had to adjust the timing on my car in the last 160,000 miles and 17 years. The only problem that vexes me is a button on the radio does not work and I'm too lazy to dismantle the dashboard to get to it.

Dan

greystone
04-20-2019, 04:29 PM
Agree 100% on all the mechanicals, as You said.

NAH .. the Toyota production system is crap. Relatively.

Flextronics totally blows them out of the water, by about 10x.
Making iphones, qty 200M+, per year.
They do 65 machining ops to aerospace tolerances of a few microns, to each iphone body.
They get about 9$ total, 2-3$ materials and tooling cost, 20% net margin.

For 65 extremely demanding 4d milling, laser-cut, sandblasting etc etc ops. done at about 0.10$ each.
Total cost 6$ for work out the door with 20% profit included in the cost.

Any Toyota or BMW auto-part done with 3d-complex milling (30 secs to 120 secs cycle time) to sub 10 micron tolerances, costs 1-5-10$ each qty 300k+ per year.
For just one op, typically, maybe a finishing-line pass.
I used to sell HAAS machine tools to people making auto parts in production, my numbers are based on experiences.

I like all the mechanical inventions stated.

But I think what the automotive industry did that is even more important is Total Quality Management and the Toyota Production System.

No other industry has been able to manufacture product as inexpensively and with as high of quality as the automotive manufacturing system that continuously pushes innovation and improvement. In particular the Toyota system is a significant accomplishment given how it was the Japanese who forced the Americas (and the Brits) to build more reliable, fuel efficient products.

JRouche
04-20-2019, 05:07 PM
"the greatest automotive inventions of all time"

Seat belts. Too bad so many folks dont use them. While I was still working just about all the folks that were dead at a crash was do to body leaving vehicle.

Seat belts.. JR

Paul Alciatore
04-20-2019, 05:30 PM
Too many candidates.

The modern automobile is a true wonder.

boslab
04-20-2019, 06:02 PM
Too many candidates.

One for the ladies, windscreen wipers, a lady invented those I beleive
Mark

Dan Dubeau
04-20-2019, 06:17 PM
Too many candidates.

Yup. I've had 4 main automobiles (and a couple other secondary ones) in the last 20 years, and each one gave me roughly 250,000km of trouble free driving. Aside from the odd sensor, wheel bearing, and wear items like brakes, tires, oil, etc, not one of them required any major repairs. People say cars don't last like they use to, and I think the answer to that is both yes, and no. Go look at some of those old cars that are still hanging around, and you wont see the kind of millage on them that people put on cars nowadays. They survived partly because it was only driven 60k. The old daily drivers aren't the ones still driving around.

You grumpy old farts can keep your vinyl floors, and crank windows. I'll take the reliable power windows, remote start and heated seats. A backup camera is also handy for hooking up a trailer, but I don't care for all the other nanny safety stuff. It takes away the reliance for driving skill, and people rely on them too much. One electronic gadget a car should have now is a cell phone jammer.....

martik
04-20-2019, 07:22 PM
I don't think the world will end because newer cars have life saving technology and a few techie features.

A few scenarios:

Driver A is fumbling with paper maps, goes over center line, kills a family of 5 and cripples himself for life

Driver B requests direction via voice recognition, receives turn by turn voice and on-screen instructions and when he goes over the center line he's instantly alerted with both audible and tactile feedback., nobody dies.

Driver A goes into a ditch late at night and is incapacitated, no one notices and he dies by morning,

Driver B's crash detection system calls him and when they receive no response, dispatch emergency services to his exact location.

Driver A is distracted looking at his phone and runs into a tree.

Driver B activates hand free calling and requests the number via voice rec, his eyes never leave the road.

Driver A is in a hurry on a frosty morning, doesn't bother to defog, backs into the neighbors daughter.

Driver B pre-conditions his car while finishing his last coffee, leaves the driveway safely with a clear view.

Driver A never checks his tire pressure, his left front is severely underinflated resulting in tread separation and you know the drill....

Driver B is alerted via SMS and on his dash that his LF tire is low.

Driver A ( no dashcam) unknowingly cruises by a shooting incident seconds after 2 people are killed.

Driver B hears a request from police for anyone with a dashcam to provide footage at the time and location of the shooting. Thanks to his footage, 2 suspects are apprehended that same day.

Driver A distracted by his search for CD's cassettes, whatever ....

Driver B requests to play "Hotel California" via that damn voice recognition again, from a library of over 10,000 titles and ebooks, all on his usb drive - undistracted as usual

Once self driving tech and breathalyzer Ignition interlocks are implemented, over 3400 people may not have to die every day.

Yes, none of these are necessary and we are spoiled but they do save lives, the world is complex get used to it.

All we need to survive are water,food and shelter. Do you really want to go back to a hunter gatherer society?

reggie_obe
04-20-2019, 08:19 PM
I don't think the world will end because newer cars have life saving technology and a few techie features.

A few scenarios:

Driver B requests direction via voice recognition, receives turn by turn voice and on-screen instructions and when he goes over the center line he's instantly alerted with both audible and tactile feedback., nobody dies.

Driver B's crash detection system calls him and when they receive no response, dispatch emergency services to his exact location.

Driver B activates hand free calling and requests the number via voice rec, his eyes never leave the road.

Driver B pre-conditions his car while finishing his last coffee, leaves the driveway safely with a clear view.

Driver B is alerted via SMS and on his dash that his LF tire is low.

Driver B hears a request from police for anyone with a dashcam to provide footage at the time and location of the shooting. Thanks to his footage, 2 suspects are apprehended that same day.

Driver B requests to play "Hotel California" via that damn voice recognition again, from a library of over 10,000 titles and ebooks, all on his usb drive - undistracted as usual

Once self driving tech and breathalyzer Ignition interlocks are implemented, over 3400 people may not have to die every day.

Yes, none of these are necessary and we are spoiled but they do save lives, the world is complex get used to it.

All we need to survive are water,food and shelter. Do you really want to go back to a hunter gatherer society?

Driver B doesn't notice the vehicles boxing him in, front back and side because he's too busy having the vehicle wipe his ass for him. Vehicle proximity software pulls the vehicle to the shoulder, modern day highwaymen rob him, toss him in the ditch and take his vehicle.

04-20-2019, 08:42 PM
Yeah go to the mall for something, come out your car is missing..
WTF ?
Some skid hacker just took over your car electronically.
Looks at your Reggie ditches the soon to be immobilized car.
Heads over to your house, knocks on the door .. no answer..
Well he knows you ain't pulling up soon.. helps himself to stufv in the house and garage..

It's a wonderful life, aint tech grand ..

Willy
04-20-2019, 08:58 PM
Chances are driver B will have some significant issues with his infotainment system.
Once the warranty has expired and the car has had a few years and miles under it's belt, repairs and or replacement of an older generation, possibly non-existant system will almost total the car when brought in to the dealer for repairs.

Where did those numbers come from? That's over 124,000 fatalities annually.

https://www.theconsumerlawgroup.com/library/problems-with-car-technology-may-lead-to-a-lemon-law-claim.cfm

Most Common Technology Complaints
One of the biggest problems consumers reported in the survey was using the voice-recognition systems in their new cars. They reported frequent misunderstanding of commands, leading to frustration and dangerous distraction behind the wheel. Ranking equally to this complaint were problems with Bluetooth connectivity between the driverís phone and the car.

danlb
04-20-2019, 09:08 PM
You two Pollyannas are simply projecting current crime techniques into modern age.

Thieves have been going to shopping malls and other parking lots to steal cars for years. Also works for movie theaters and airports. No electronics necessary. Valets have gotten home addresses from registrations and passed them on to confederates since the days of Perry Mason. Highwaymen have run people off the road since the days of horse drawn carriages.

lakeside53
04-20-2019, 09:37 PM
Better around here, for decades. Ski area is 2 hours away. Break into car, get the registration, call your buddy in the city with the address.

vpt
04-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Good electrical plugs that don't break when you try to pull them off a sensor and have a nice big tab to push with a finger.

Oil filters and drain plugs accessible spots and that don't drain all over the chassis/suspension, everything.

Rust prevention measures.

Doozer
04-20-2019, 10:59 PM
Yes I know buy you asked why "on the attack" and it's because many of us feel like were under attack from this type of thinking, and some might even have the foresight to see it as very dangerous. so yeah kinda triggers a response and not a very good one...

Yes yes yes. Machines that do the thinking for you are creating a lazy society with an entitlement mentality. Actual skills of driving a car and navigating traffic situations are becoming severely impaired or lost completely. If everyone has a backup camera, no one will learn how to judge depth perception. Anti-lock brakes are bad enough. No one knows how to brake and steer out of a dangerous situation anymore. I believe that people on the cell phone behind the wheel, kills more people every year than drunk driving. You will never hear about it from the media, because everyone is addicted to their person pocket Jesus. Stay off the technology and get in touch with reality.

--Doozer

04-20-2019, 11:28 PM
I agree , when the **** hits the fan, a lot of people will have diminished driving skills ..
Say you are on a hunting hiking or skiing trip, someone gets injured, it may be your guide, you may be the only one able to drive out...... better be able to perform.

My old neighbor has an exploration drilling company, they changed quad brands due to electronic steering issues.
If it goes down you can strongarm it, but to fix it you got to fly in parts. Too hard to fix up north..

RB211
04-21-2019, 12:23 AM
smart keys

A.K. Boomer
04-21-2019, 12:31 AM
Chances are driver B will have some significant issues with his infotainment system.
Once the warranty has expired and the car has had a few years and miles under it's belt, repairs and or replacement of an older generation, possibly non-existant system will almost total the car when brought in to the dealer for repairs.

Where did those numbers come from? That's over 124,000 fatalities annually.

https://www.theconsumerlawgroup.com/library/problems-with-car-technology-may-lead-to-a-lemon-law-claim.cfm

Nothing like a firm dose of reality to wake people up a little - keep em coming Willy :)

A.K. Boomer
04-21-2019, 12:50 AM
Yes yes yes. Machines that do the thinking for you are creating a lazy society with an entitlement mentality. Actual skills of driving a car and navigating traffic situations are becoming severely impaired or lost completely. If everyone has a backup camera, no one will learn how to judge depth perception. Anti-lock brakes are bad enough. No one knows how to brake and steer out of a dangerous situation anymore. I believe that people on the cell phone behind the wheel, kills more people every year than drunk driving. You will never hear about it from the media, because everyone is addicted to their person pocket Jesus. Stay off the technology and get in touch with reality.

--Doozer

+ 10 fact is - all technology needs to be questioned , some is good and some detrimental, but the knee jerk reaction seems to be "more is better" so if some is getting you in trouble (the almighty cell phone - which incidentally I still don't own) then instead of nipping it in the bud and trying to stop the cell phone user we do what? we make everyone pay by taking away their driving privilege ? did we do that with the drunk driver? no --- we went after the drunk driver and in fact to the point where they can't even legally have a half a beer and get behind the wheel of a car - we went overboard -

so why don't we do that will cell phone usage as it's been proven it's a far worse offender and even easier to control ?

answer - because when just about every idiots doing it and is guilty of it then nobody wants to enforce it --- their precious time talking or texting on the phone when they should actually be trying to control their 3,500 lb vehicle is not even an option --- are you kidding me ? much easier to just put the blame on the roads and people in general being unsafe so we can push the autonomous car crap, that way we get to keep our drug - our addiction - our almighty fuquing cell phone... what a bunch of losers... again - we all need to just get the hell off the planet - except for Dooz and Willy and a few others I can think of...

madokie
04-21-2019, 02:37 AM
my picks are 4wheel ABS,,electronic ignition, and fuel injection..AND ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,For everybodys info,, some of the afore mentioned "inventions" may have been patented by none other than JOHN DELOREAN,, yes THAT john delorean, who was originally a automotive engineer at Packard, before being hired away to GM,all told about 200 patents with JZD's name on them..including the temperature controlled mechanical fan clutch,used by at least a billion vehicles all over the world..

danlb
04-21-2019, 02:53 AM
I almost forgot to mention cruise control.

Many, many years ago I had a problem with speeding. Or maybe I had a problem with speeding tickets. Since I spent enough hours behind the wheel each day to compete with a Taxi driver* it was quite a problem. The daily commute was hours of tensely looking for cops while dodging slow pokes who were doing the speed limit. Even so I got so many tickets that I had to take a 1 hour driving test to retain my license.

Then I discovered that I could set the CC to the speed limit and cruise along at or near the speed limit. It added 15 minutes or so to my commute and saved me a fortune in fines. My insurance went down, my gas bill went down and the biggest problem became avoiding those idiots who wanted to drive 85 in congested traffic, weaving in and out. Keeping a steady speed made that a touch safer since MY position was quite predictable.

Now that I'm making one or two 1000 mile trips a month, I rely on cruise control to make the trip so much more comfortable and safe too!

Dan

darryl
04-21-2019, 03:13 AM
Here's one in the electronics department, on the entertainment side. WonderBar radios- push a button and the dial would start turning as it found the next station and locked onto it. Worked pretty well actually. One thing I thought was interesting was the method of using a vibrator as an inverter to generate the high voltages the tubes needed.

Another wonderful automotive invention- does anybody still drive a car with curb feelers?

dave_r
04-21-2019, 03:21 AM
Here's one in the electronics department, on the entertainment side. WonderBar radios- push a button and the dial would start turning as it found the next station and locked onto it. Worked pretty well actually. One thing I thought was interesting was the method of using a vibrator as an inverter to generate the high voltages the tubes needed.

Another wonderful automotive invention- does anybody still drive a car with curb feelers?

How does the conversation go with new passengers? "What's THAT for?" "Oh, it's not like that. It's for tuning the radio to the next station."

MattiJ
04-21-2019, 03:46 AM
I almost forgot to mention cruise control.

Many, many years ago I had a problem with speeding. Or maybe I had a problem with speeding tickets. Since I spent enough hours behind the wheel each day to compete with a Taxi driver* it was quite a problem. The daily commute was hours of tensely looking for cops while dodging slow pokes who were doing the speed limit. Even so I got so many tickets that I had to take a 1 hour driving test to retain my license.

Then I discovered that I could set the CC to the speed limit and cruise along at or near the speed limit. It added 15 minutes or so to my commute and saved me a fortune in fines. My insurance went down, my gas bill went down and the biggest problem became avoiding those idiots who wanted to drive 85 in congested traffic, weaving in and out. Keeping a steady speed made that a touch safer since MY position was quite predictable.

Now that I'm making one or two 1000 mile trips a month, I rely on cruise control to make the trip so much more comfortable and safe too!

Dan

Electric starter, synchromesh transmission, internal combustion engine..

But biggest recent invention to automotives in my eyes is the adaptive cruise control with speed sign recognition.

Country roads around here go trough gazillions of towns and speed limits are changing every third kilometer. After driving 600km and past over hundred speed signs I get lost in the count and its really hard to remember what was the current speed limit.
Now I just set the cruise control to +6km/h over the limit and cruise control takes care of speed and recognizes speed signs with amazing efficiency.

Modern adaptive cruise control with the radar also works extremely well and smoothly. Often times the car starts braking before I have slightest clue that the car in front of me is starting to slow down.
Less "fatigue" on long trips, I feel sharper behind the wheel and can pay attention more to other traffic.

MattiJ
04-21-2019, 03:52 AM
Better around here, for decades. Ski area is 2 hours away. Break into car, get the registration, call your buddy in the city with the address.

Such a low-tech ;)
In here they just check the register plate and check the owner from free DMV web service! :p

Sparky_NY
04-21-2019, 07:19 AM
Agree with previous posts, electronic ignition and fuel injection, those two dramatically reduced some of the most common maintenance items and common failures. Sticking chokes are a thing of the past for example.

What I am surprised nobody mentioned is power steering and power brakes. I learned to drive on cars with manual steering and brakes. Parallel parking a 5500 lb car without power steering is a forgotten experience, same with stopping that beast.

Ringo
04-21-2019, 08:09 AM
One of the greatest things has to be the technology in the lubricants.
engines run for 300,000 miles, what was the last time you had a wheel bearing or U-joint go bad?
The good technology rests not so much in the bearings, but in the lube.
Outboard motors now run 100:1 oil, remember they used to smoke at 24:1?
Similar technology

MattiJ
04-21-2019, 08:20 AM
engines run for 300,000 miles, what was the last time you had a wheel bearing or U-joint go bad?
Similar technology
Hugely improved oil replacement intervals too.
New diesel ford transit van 60000km vs something like 5000km on oldies!

CCWKen
04-21-2019, 09:02 AM
What I am surprised nobody mentioned is power steering and power brakes. I learned to drive on cars with manual steering and brakes. Parallel parking a 5500 lb car without power steering is a forgotten experience, same with stopping that beast.
I'm from that era. :o The steering wheel on my 52 Chevy seemed a yard across, although it wasn't. :D

A.K. Boomer
04-21-2019, 09:05 AM
What I am surprised nobody mentioned is power steering and power brakes.

Top of my list on post 27 along with duel master brake cylinder (a must have) and seat belts with shoulder restraints (another must have) is "power disc brakes", I at least covered one of them as depends on the car if you needed power steering or not...

RB211
04-21-2019, 09:25 AM
Android auto
360 camera
Lane departure warning
Dash cam
TPMS
I agree! And Google Maps to go along with Android Auto.

RB211
04-21-2019, 09:37 AM
Similar technology

I don't like the new oil technology, it kills people, causes cancer, and does permanent brain damage. Next time you are on an airliner and you smell "wet socks", synthetic turbine oil went into the bleed air system, into the air packs, into the cabin. Sometimes I wonder if I have early onset Alzheimers. I don't remember coworkers I had a conversation with a week ago in passing. There's a type of brain cancer or tumor common to pilots. It killed my IOE instructor.
Remember when the Lead industry tried to silence the studies about leaded gasoline and the ecological disaster it was causing? This is the next one.
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/study-reveals-permanent-brain-damage-among-pilots-and-cabin-crew/

Seastar
04-21-2019, 09:41 AM
Well, we've covered just about every new "invention" that has been applied to an automobile.
The bottom line is the modern car is so far removed from its early predecessors that it's almost unrecogisible as such.
Personally, I like all the changes that have occurred since I owned a 1930 model A.
My current ride is a Jeep SRT.
Bill

Willy
04-21-2019, 09:57 AM
I don't like the new oil technology, it kills people, causes cancer, and does permanent brain damage. Next time you are on an airliner and you smell "wet socks", synthetic turbine oil went into the bleed air system, into the air packs, into the cabin. Sometimes I wonder if I have early onset Alzheimers. I don't remember coworkers I had a conversation with a week ago in passing. There's a type of brain cancer or tumor common to pilots. It killed my IOE instructor.
Remember when the Lead industry tried to silence the studies about leaded gasoline and the ecological disaster it was causing? This is the next one.
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/study-reveals-permanent-brain-damage-among-pilots-and-cabin-crew/ (https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/study-reveals-permanent-brain-damage-among-pilots-and-cabin-crew/)

Interesting, I hadn't heard of this before. However I wouldn't be so hard on the lubricant as the cause but more focused on a system that allows this to to happen in the first place. Why is it that turbine oil vapors are allowed to infiltrate cabin air? Sounds like a fundamental design error to me. Is it more "cost effective" for the manufactures to use this type of system?

Our lives are enhanced daily by new products and chemicals, however we must be diligent to keep these chemicals in check and keep them in their proper place. Lets face it if it weren't for the benefits of synthetic lubricants your career wouldn't have gotten off of the ground.

David Powell
04-21-2019, 10:17 AM
I llearned to drive gasoline vehicles with
manual transmissions, many without effective syncromesh.
I now live in a very busy city, and all the vehicles I regularly drive have automatic transmissions.
I find that driving is less tiring than when driving a standard transmission vehicle, especially as my arthritis makes using the clutch pedal uncomfortable in heavy traffic.
However, I do miss the opportunities manual transmission gives to alter ratio before an event occurs rather than as it unfolds.
So my vote goes to Automatic transmissions.
Regards David Powell

nickel-city-fab
04-21-2019, 10:46 AM
I think the GM HEI ignition was it. I greatly prefer the technology of the early 1970's (pre- smog) having had the best luck with that.

But more importantly, the greatest invention of all automotive history was multi-year financing and dealer trades.

A.K. Boomer
04-21-2019, 10:50 AM
I will toss in a few more - maybe not as important as most of the original ones I mentioned but just the same has made driving easier and added control and also safety

im in agreement with the cruise control and having AC,

in suspension development I think the almighty coil spring is an honorable mention at least in comparison to the leaf, while properly designed torsion bar suspension is also a great improvement, anything but the leaf spring at least on typical passenger vehicles as they are horse and buggy stuff - ride like a buckboard - wear themselves out --- just total POS with bad handling and unsafe, the telescoping shock is another great improvement over the old "lever action"...
couple the coil spring and shock together to create the Macpherson strut - definitely a game changer in the suspension department...
for way back in the day the tubeless tire was a big deal, and as i mentioned before the steel belted radial..

All combined we have covered allot, have not heard anyone mention air-bags, perhaps because allot of them can actually get you killed, seems the one in my car went missing somehow awhile back...

I guess if you live in the city you should be very grateful for the catalytic converter,,, and other systems designed to keep the air you breath clean,,, including the unleaded gas you buy to run your engine...

rzbill
04-21-2019, 02:16 PM
The cupholder...........

RB211
04-21-2019, 04:30 PM
How long before we start suggesting the "Auto Pilot", and AI assistant?

martik
04-21-2019, 04:50 PM
I llearned to drive gasoline vehicles with
manual transmissions, many without effective syncromesh.
I now live in a very busy city, and all the vehicles I regularly drive have automatic transmissions.
I find that driving is less tiring than when driving a standard transmission vehicle, especially as my arthritis makes using the clutch pedal uncomfortable in heavy traffic.
However, I do miss the opportunities manual transmission gives to alter ratio before an event occurs rather than as it unfolds.
So my vote goes to Automatic transmissions.
Regards David Powell

I missed the engine braking aspect of a manual tranny until I got an EV where regenerative braking does much the same thing with the added benefit of recharging the battery and almost zero friction brake wear.

There is an audible alert when the friction brakes make contact but I've only heard it once or twice in the last year.

I just love coasting down a long hill knowing that I am generating free electricity rather than turning the brake pads and rotors into dust.

LKeithR
04-21-2019, 05:12 PM
Android auto
360 camera
Lane departure warning
Dash cam
TPMS

Non of these technologies do a thing for MY driving or wrenching enjoyment...

I agree completely. They're just gadgets and gizmos added to a vehicle to make them more expensive and
more difficult to repair. None serve any really necessary function...

RB211
04-21-2019, 10:35 PM
I missed the engine braking aspect of a manual tranny until I got an EV where regenerative braking does much the same thing with the added benefit of recharging the battery and almost zero friction brake wear.

There is an audible alert when the friction brakes make contact but I've only heard it once or twice in the last year.

I just love coasting down a long hill knowing that I am generating free electricity rather than turning the brake pads and rotors into dust.

My 2007 Prius has 215,000 miles on it, never changed the brakes, only fluids and tires.

tomato coupe
04-21-2019, 11:40 PM
The cupholder...........

Der is no reason fur der cupholder; driving der auto is pleasure enough!

darryl
04-21-2019, 11:41 PM
How does the conversation go with new passengers? "What's THAT for?" "Oh, it's not like that. It's for tuning the radio to the next station."

I don't think I thought of it at the time, but now I wonder- it would have been possible to put that vibrator on an extension so it could be outside the radio. Maybe something to keep the wife happy so you can concentrate on driving :)

04-21-2019, 11:48 PM
We brought an 88 Mercedes 300TD over from Germany.
Been in the family since new. Not an export model.
No cupholders.. !,
We were on a trip with GrossMutter.. aka Granny.
When we lamented the lack of cup holders she said, you don't need no Damn cupholders, nobody needs to drink while driving down the road . Lol. .

martik
04-21-2019, 11:57 PM
You can't afford to drink with BC gas prices!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Car-Auto-Folding-Beverage-Drink-Cup-Bottle-Holder-Stand-Mount-Black/392198424096?epid=582394161&hash=item5b50d90620:g:9kgAAOSw96FcdQZI&frcectupt=true

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-LED-Colorful-Atmosphere-Light-Car-Cup-Holder-Pad-Mat-Auto-For-Mercedes-Benz/352630079720?epid=19015565915&hash=item521a6400e8:g:fv4AAOSwkVVbZSSv

PStechPaul
04-22-2019, 12:56 AM
I can remember when my cupholder had a ponytail and wore a miniskirt! :rolleyes:

danlb
04-22-2019, 01:06 AM
My 2007 Prius has 215,000 miles on it, never changed the brakes, only fluids and tires.

Mine (2002 Prius) only has 161,000 miles on it. When it had about 140K on it I asked the local garage to change the brake pads and fluids, thinking that would proactively take care of the brakes for the life of the car. They declined the job because the pads were barely worn.

aostling
04-22-2019, 04:41 AM
Mine (2002 Prius) only has 161,000 miles on it. When it had about 140K on it I asked the local garage to change the brake pads and fluids, thinking that would proactively take care of the brakes for the life of the car. They declined the job because the pads were barely worn.

Measuring the pad thickness is no more difficult than changing a tire. Changing the pads is not much harder, if you want to save several hundred dollars. You will need a torque wrench.

RB211
04-22-2019, 07:05 AM
Measuring the pad thickness is no more difficult than changing a tire. Changing the pads is not much harder, if you want to save several hundred dollars. You will need a torque wrench.

Do not bleed the brakes without plugging in a Toyota Techstream computer, otherwise you'll be calling a tow service. The damn car thinks a break line failed and shuts off that wheel to save fluid for the other three wheels.

A.K. Boomer
04-22-2019, 09:01 AM
Measuring the pad thickness is no more difficult than changing a tire. .

I have yet to have a prius in my shop - for one I don't do an abundance of work on cars just a very few selected customers so can not attest to their brake layout and more importantly their wheel's they use but many of times with other cars I do not even have to pull a wheel to do a brake inspection if the wheel vents are big enough I just use a little high power flashlight and one of those tiny telescoping mirrors - done deal in about a half minute...

A.K. Boomer
04-22-2019, 09:18 AM
Do not bleed the brakes without plugging in a Toyota Techstream computer, otherwise you'll be calling a tow service. The damn car thinks a break line failed and shuts off that wheel to save fluid for the other three wheels.

Wow - thanks for the heads up RB, had no idea...

and I thought changing out a battery and having to jump through all the hoops to find the radio reset code on many of these era cars was bad.

Still - i do give credit to what both toyota and honda has achieved with their hybrid vehicles --- some of them that is, others have a rating that is not at all impressive and yet you have all these extra systems involved for no real gains...

my bro's got an old 1990 crx HF - just a de-tuned little 1.5 liter and he's seen tank fulls over 60mpg and that's with some mixed driving involved,,, that's without all the "hoopla" just a little free'd up roller rocker pea-shooter tuned for max efficiency yet so slippery you can still break into the triple digits if needed (and you have enough road ahead of you lol)

those old honda insights threw down the gauntlet when it comes to efficiency ratings, the non-cvt manual tranny had a lean burn mode that made the prius's look like little piggies... but be forewarned if you think people are poking fun at you for driving a prius your going to catch about three times the insults in one of these honda's lol

I actually like the looks of some of the newer prius's of certain models...

Willy
04-22-2019, 01:20 PM

A friend of mine has a Prius as well, pretty impressive little car!

A couple of years ago he wanted me to flush his brake fluid. He was told by the dealer that it was supposed to be done at a Toyota dealership in order to avoid issues but balked at the price. So left it up to me to deal with, if I could.
Figuring that it being a popular car being aimed at frugal folks I thought that this bridge has probably been crossed before.

A quick look found that without the Toyota Techstream system being available some answers were to be found. It appears even Toyota has has the procedure in their service manuals for placing the vehicle in "invalid mode" in order to bleed or flush the brake system. Plus a good YouTube video I found on a Prius forum that helped.

Hey it ain't as easy as doing this on Ma and Pa's old 59 Chevy, but if the procedure is followed as outlined in the two links below it is doable at home without a tow truck.

https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2018/08/151212_2010_Toyota_Prius_Repair_Manual_-_maintenance_-_brakes_-_fluid_replacement_without_Techstream.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ1wpW62L7U

brian Rupnow
04-22-2019, 04:22 PM
The electric starter motor. Without a doubt, that has to be it. Can't ya just imagine the company parking lot at 5:00 PM---Everybody standing in front of their cars, cranking their guts out to start their car so they could drive home..

rjs44032
04-22-2019, 04:51 PM
The one innovation that changed my life was cruise control. My right foot is made from some kind of lead alloy. In addition, cars have gotten quieter and ride better at hiqher speeds every year. As a consequence, I was getting upwards of 3-4 tickets per year and came close to pointing out a several times. Then came the day I could afford a vehicle with cruise. My ticket days are over for the most part. I get only the occasional one now when I don't use it.

Best Regards,
Bob

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-22-2019, 04:58 PM
I forgot to mention true keyless entry and push-button start. It's so nice just walking up to your car and having it unlock automatically. The first car I had with keyless entry was my 1996 Corvette w/LT4. The Key fob transmits a low level signal when it detects movement (i.e: you're walking) and automatically unlocks the car.

And if you accidentally lock your keys/fob inside the car, you just need to shake the car a little bit and the key-fob will transmit the open-door signal.

A.K. Boomer
04-22-2019, 05:07 PM
And if you accidentally lock your keys/fob inside the car, you just need to shake the car a little bit and the key-fob will transmit the open-door signal.

Wow --- brilliant anti-theft device - I can see people getting used to that and just leaving them in - and thieves going around shaking everyones cars lol

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Wow --- brilliant anti-theft device - I can see people getting used to that and just leaving them in - and thieves going around shaking everyones cars lol

Yup, saves your window from getting smashed.

A.K. Boomer
04-22-2019, 05:15 PM
Yup, saves your window from getting smashed.

yeah but the car just got stolen - so the proper way to look at it is that it saves their windows from getting smashed lol

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-22-2019, 05:24 PM
yeah but the car just got stolen - so the proper way to look at it is that it saves their windows from getting smashed lol

Yup, now that you know -- you can start shaking nice cars and maybe get lucky!

CarlByrns
04-22-2019, 05:35 PM
The answer is the electric starter. It opened up automobile operation to women (who were becoming a market force in the 1920's) and allowed for bigger and higher compression engines. Hand cranking a Model T with 144 cubes and 4:1 compression is a chore on a warm day- just imagine the effort it would take to get 600 cubic inch 18:1 diesel lit up on a cold day.

A.K. Boomer
04-22-2019, 05:42 PM
Women could always build a fire and in fact they were pretty damn good at it back then so could still drive a "steamer"

so - you would have to go with the IC engine before even giving the starter any credit... or at least lump the two together ?

aostling
04-22-2019, 06:36 PM
Women could always build a fire and in fact they were pretty damn good at it back then so could still drive a "steamer." ...

Lucky, those women who got to drive a Doble. They made only about a baker's dozen of them. I think most are still alive.

martik
04-22-2019, 07:10 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ZFdG4FB.jpg

Jim Stewart
04-22-2019, 08:50 PM
The answer is the electric starter. It opened up automobile operation to women (who were becoming a market force in the 1920's) and allowed for bigger and higher compression engines. Hand cranking a Model T with 144 cubes and 4:1 compression is a chore on a warm day- just imagine the effort it would take to get 600 cubic inch 18:1 diesel lit up on a cold day.

How about the Blitzen Benz at 21 liters - in 1911, Bob Burman recorded an average of 228.1 kilometres per hour (141.7 mph) over a full mile at Daytona Beach.

Or the FIAT "Beast of Turin" at 28 liters? Better have a strong right arm. This was around 110 years ago...

-js

EDIT: starting the Blitzen Benz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMa3_tT5mKA

CarlByrns
04-22-2019, 09:12 PM
How about the Blitzen Benz at 21 liters - in 1911, Bob Burman recorded an average of 228.1 kilometres per hour (141.7 mph) over a full mile at Daytona Beach.

Or the FIAT "Beast of Turin" at 28 liters? Better have a strong right arm. This was around 110 years ago...

-js

Here's how the Blitzen Benz is started : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMa3_tT5mKA

Note that it is NOT cranked to start, just to get a cylinder to ATC.

rmcphearson
04-22-2019, 09:13 PM
the greatest automotive inventions of all time:

keys that cost 2 mortgage payments to replace

Jim Stewart
04-22-2019, 09:18 PM
Here's how the Blitzen Benz is started : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMa3_tT5mKA

Note that it is NOT cranked to start, just to get a cylinder to ATC.

Heh. We were posting at the same time.

There's another video of starting the Beast of Turin, looked to me like they used an explosive charge to kick it over once the crank was in the right place...

-js

CarlByrns
04-22-2019, 09:19 PM
Women could always build a fire and in fact they were pretty damn good at it back then so could still drive a "steamer"

so - you would have to go with the IC engine before even giving the starter any credit... or at least lump the two together ?

Yeah, I'll give you the pair- the IC engine and a easy way to start it. The steam car was a dead end- the driver had to be both fireman and engineer (check out Jay Leno's videos of the Stanley and Doble steam cars). The (early) electric car seemed like a good idea- unplug and go- but not fast or far. I was holding out for a Tesla, but it looks like Elon Musk is doing his damnedest to kill the company.

CarlByrns
04-22-2019, 09:21 PM
Heh. We were posting at the same time.

There's another video of starting the Beast of Turin, looked to me like they used an explosive charge to kick it over once the crank was in the right place...

-js

Neither is exactly user-friendly.

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-22-2019, 09:29 PM
the greatest automotive inventions of all time:

keys that cost 2 mortgage payments to replace

Wow, I'd hate to live in that house!! Sounds like a complete dump! Can you post a picture of it? :)

A.K. Boomer
04-22-2019, 09:34 PM
Wow, I'd hate to live in that house!! Sounds like a complete dump! Can you post a picture of it? :)

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5274&d=1558212820
lol

RB211
04-22-2019, 09:39 PM
I'm getting the popcorn out...

rzbill
04-22-2019, 09:42 PM
Der is no reason fur der cupholder; driving der auto is pleasure enough!

We brought an 88 Mercedes 300TD over from Germany.
Been in the family since new. Not an export model.
No cupholders.. !,
We were on a trip with GrossMutter.. aka Granny.
When we lamented the lack of cup holders she said, you don't need no Damn cupholders, nobody needs to drink while driving down the road . Lol. .

With thinking like that, we would still be driving vehicles that dripped fuel into the intake prior to the invention of the carburetor.
;):D. If it were not for the lowly cupholder, where would all that gross mung and drool go that collects in there? Onto your beautiful leather gear shift boot? God forbid... the cupholder is a savior. :cool:

The Merc Benz museum in Stuttgart should not be missed by the way. Lots of eye candy for gearheads. Too many favorites to list.

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-22-2019, 09:45 PM
http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/shop_air_sys5.jpg

lol

What would be the monthly mortgage payment on 1.7M?

lol

A.K. Boomer
04-22-2019, 09:46 PM
What would be the monthly mortgage payment on 1.7M?

lol

You mean before or after the fire? lol

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-22-2019, 09:54 PM
You mean before or after the fire? lol

Might be hard for a fire when there are two 300cf tanks of inert gas right below.. :)

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/weld7.jpg

A.K. Boomer
04-22-2019, 10:00 PM
good plan - just about when everythings burnt to a crisp the tanks will finally blow extinguishing the blaze... temporarily...

RB211
04-22-2019, 10:16 PM
Well if everyone is going to Occhams Razor, I am going to say rubber tires, and internal combustion engines.
Soon it will be brushless motors, and some new battery tech.

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-22-2019, 10:39 PM
I think it was mentioned but remote car starting is wonderful in the winter time.

A.K. Boomer
04-22-2019, 10:42 PM
I think it was mentioned but remote car starting is wonderful in the winter time.

But not needed when you have a garage --- besides I think it would make my C.O. detector go off in short order...

Why not come up with something more tangible like engine midship :p

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-22-2019, 10:52 PM
But not needed when you have a garage --- besides I think it would make my C.O. detector go off in short order...

Why not come up with something more tangible like engine midship :p

I'd need a 6+ car garage for that. My current over sized 3 car garage is all machine shop.

A.K. Boomer
04-22-2019, 10:56 PM
When you get the new Vette you will find the space inside out of the elements --- I hear lathes do very well just stuffed under a tarp outside somewhere... lol (don't ever treat a mill that way though - unless it's a wrong-foo or something lol)

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-22-2019, 11:18 PM
When you get the new Vette you will find the space inside out of the elements --- I hear lathes do very well just stuffed under a tarp outside somewhere... lol (don't ever treat a mill that way though - unless it's a wrong-foo or something lol)

No worries, I should have plenty of new garage space for toys soon.

A.K. Boomer
04-22-2019, 11:25 PM
Cool - just hire out if you plan on heating it...

rzbill
04-23-2019, 01:04 PM

Baltimore tried to make them illegal some years ago.

Nutcases.

vpt
04-23-2019, 07:08 PM
I like the gas engine, that was a nice improvement.

CalM
04-23-2019, 10:36 PM
Well if everyone is going to Occhams Razor, I am going to say rubber tires, and internal combustion engines.
Soon it will be brushless motors, and some new battery tech.

rubber tires and IC engines were mentioned in post #6. They were good ideas then, still are!

I have noted that some of the " automative inventions" mentioned in this thread are no more than optional extras or even standard features applied to cars but invented in and for other industries. The IoT examples in particular.

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-23-2019, 10:51 PM
If I can find a local dealer with allocation for a 2019 ZR1 w/7 speed, I think I'm going to like the seat "cooling" feature. I won't need the seat "heating" mode, but apparently it has a cooling mode too.

aostling
04-24-2019, 12:54 AM
If I can find a local dealer with allocation for a 2019 ZR1 w/7 speed, I think I'm going to like the seat "cooling" feature. ...

I had not heard of these. It seems these seats are merely ventilated. A truly refrigerated seat would sell like hotcakes, here in Phoenix.

Willy
04-24-2019, 01:04 AM
I had not heard of these. It seems these seats are merely ventilated. A truly refrigerated seat would sell like hotcakes, here in Phoenix.

It's actually quite prevalent in a large number of affordable cars. Ford, GM, Chrysler and Hyundai have offered them for a number of years in various models and brands they produce.
But yes being in Phoenix I'm surprised you haven't heard of that option, should be the talk of the town.

aostling
04-24-2019, 01:27 AM
... I'm surprised you haven't heard of that option, should be the talk of the town.

They might be the talk of the town, but I don't hang out with that crowd. Subaru offers them, but not on my Forester.

The air temperature in parked cars can exceed 130ļF here. Air-cooling the seats would fall short of what is needed in this environment. Natives learn to avoid leather seats, which are insufferable in the four or five months of triple-digit outside temperatures.

Willy
04-24-2019, 01:51 AM
I know all too well how uncomfortable a leather or vinyl seat gets after being in a parked car for an hour or two.
The seats though are truly air conditioned, not merely air cooled and do work. However nothing is going to make it comfy after it's been parked in the sun for a few hours instantly. Just like a heater or the AC will take time to do their work after you get in, and this is where the remote start comes in handy.:)

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-24-2019, 10:20 AM
Actually, I thought the seats were actually chilled on the C7 but they are just ventilated from cabin air so probably not as "nice" as I was imagining but still very welcome.

Glug
04-24-2019, 11:24 AM
Actually, I thought the seats were actually chilled on the C7 but they are just ventilated from cabin air so probably not as "nice" as I was imagining but still very welcome.

Don't bother. Your ass will be biting buttonholes in the seats, thus self-ventilating them.

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-24-2019, 01:00 PM
Don't bother. Your ass will be biting buttonholes in the seats, thus self-ventilating them.

https://autoweek.com/sites/default/files/styles/gen-1200-675/public/_dsc5113.jpg

Stepside
04-24-2019, 01:12 PM
Speaking of "Hot Seats". One afternoon I delivered a 530 Case backhoe to a nudist camp. The seats were Vinyl and had been in the hot sun. The guy renting it was wearing his "Birthday Suit" as was everybody else. He jumped up on the tractor and sat down and quickly jumped up to find some shorts. It seems like everybody at the camp was 50 or older and overweight. Not a feast for a young guys eyes.

lugnut
04-24-2019, 05:21 PM
No, I didn't read every post here, But my vote goes for Hydraulic Breaks.

David Powell
04-24-2019, 07:35 PM
No, I didn't read every post here, But my vote goes for Hydraulic Breaks.

The brakes I trusted best were those on a pair of 1930s Daimlers.
They were rod actuated, fully compensated, with 12" drums and assisted by Clayton Dewandre vacuum cylinders. ( Like they used on the railways with vacuum brakes) Not even today.s dual cylinder, vacuum assisted hydraulically operated anti lock disc brakes give the feel and strength they have
Regards David Powell