PDA

View Full Version : exotic materials

darryl
04-25-2019, 02:37 AM
Just wondering if they have figured out the alloy found in those crashed and confiscated ufos- or has it been concluded that it's imaginatium?

Other than that, there are some cool materials- clear aluminum is one, nitinol is another- there must be some others with unique properties by now. Anybody know of them? What are your pet exotic materials?

Doc Nickel
04-25-2019, 04:40 AM
I suspect you're not going to find much of that in the HOME SHOP machinists' group. "Exotic" materials tend to be both very expensive and very difficult to machine- and if you don't absolutely require it for your project, it tends to be a waste of both money and effort.

Titanium isn't really all that "exotic" these days, and even here, few HSM'ers use or have ever used it.

The most exotic thing I've ever dealt with was probably some Inconel. Mean stuff to deal with- think of 316 stainless except even gummier.

Doc.

lynnl
04-25-2019, 07:14 AM
My son-in-law's company does Defense Dept. and NASA work pretty much exclusively. He's frequently describing what I'd certainly call exotic or newly developed metals or alloys. One he has mentioned a few times is "Eglin Steel" (name probably has a connection to Eglin AFB in N. Fla.); Don't remember his exact comments about its machinability, but as I recall it wasn't favorable.

4GSR
04-25-2019, 08:09 AM
"Elgin Steel" probably the commercial brand "Elginloy". It's a very high cobalt containing steel, with tungsten, chrome, cold worked into flats, strips, and wire. It's so hard that it's difficult to cut, even with carbide. It's used for highly stressed springs as I use it for. Has a tensile strength of 300Kpsi and higher. Has a very high corrosive resistance to many chemicals that high chrome materials will not hold up to from hydrogen enbrittlement. Last price I saw was around $100 lb. And because of the density, it's not much material for the price they get for it. Ken

MattiJ
04-25-2019, 08:41 AM
Inconel is enough nasty for me. Tungsten carbide is probably hardest/nastiest/most difficult material that I have machined.

And I have some Rene 41 wire that would also qualify for nasty machinability.

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-25-2019, 09:27 AM
Just wondering if they have figured out the alloy found in those crashed and confiscated ufos- or has it been concluded that it's imaginatium?

Always wondered what a UFO tastes like...

Tungsten dipper
04-25-2019, 09:46 AM
Always wondered what a UFO tastes like...

They are shaped like a pie.

loose nut
04-25-2019, 10:17 AM
There have been several types of "exotic" materials found in UFO wreckage.

Nutsium

crazyfanaticium

stupidium

Gullibilityium

and the two most often - BoyhaveIgotabridgetosellyousium and IwatchthosestupidUFOshowsium

A.K. Boomer
04-25-2019, 10:28 AM
I still consider titanium to be exotic, it's got so many amazing qualities, plus the flammable thing

there's allot of incredible materials to choose from nowadays including certain plastics and carbon fiber,

carbon fiber nano-tube I think is the only material that could support its own weight enough to reach out into the outer atmosphere - that's pretty impressive esp. when you can get a set of handlebars for your mt. bike made from them.

I like building advanced detailed projects and sorting through all the information to make a choice at what would work best and for where - you end up with a wide variety of materials all gathered together in one little place working in harmony --- that's super cool.

LKeithR
04-25-2019, 11:39 AM
There have been several types of "exotic" materials found in UFO wreckage.

Nutsium

crazyfanaticium

stupidium

Gullibilityium

and the two most often - BoyhaveIgotabridgetosellyousium and IwatchthosestupidUFOshowsium

Exactly. Those materials (?) are only found in Fantasyland...

lynnl
04-25-2019, 12:38 PM
"Elgin Steel" probably the commercial brand "Elginloy". It's a very high cobalt containing steel, with tungsten, chrome, cold worked into flats, strips, and wire. It's so hard that it's difficult to cut, even with carbide. It's used for highly stressed springs as I use it for. Has a tensile strength of 300Kpsi and higher. Has a very high corrosive resistance to many chemicals that high chrome materials will not hold up to from hydrogen enbrittlement. Last price I saw was around $100 lb. And because of the density, it's not much material for the price they get for it. Ken

We're probably talking about the same thing, ...but the word is "Eglin" not "Elgin."

Though, maybe not; our friend google does hit on elgin steel, but it looks to be mostly in connection with "Elgin" watches.

But this is what I was referring to: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=eglin+steel

"Named after the Eglin Air Force Base; the US Air Force was involved in its development. ... A high-strength, high-performance, low-alloy, low-cost steel."

old mart
04-25-2019, 12:38 PM
Unobtainium is the hardest to find. An easier alloy which I have turned, milled, drilled and tapped is Densimet tungsten heavy metal. I have some 1/2" ground rods, turned to 12mm halfway along their length which have been made into boring bars, left and right hand, and threading bars also R & L. I have a couple of slabs of it, about 12" long by 4" by 1/2" thick, I have yet to think of a use for them.
My old firm used to machine Maraging steel and ultra high tensile steel, 250 UK tons per square inch

CCWKen
04-25-2019, 01:55 PM
"250 UK tons per square inch". Oh, that's metric. :rolleyes: That's like 500 pounds imperial, isn't it? :D

When I first saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be about sex toys or something. :o

4GSR
04-25-2019, 04:37 PM
We're probably talking about the same thing, ...but the word is "Eglin" not "Elgin."

Though, maybe not; our friend google does hit on elgin steel, but it looks to be mostly in connection with "Elgin" watches.

But this is what I was referring to: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=eglin+steel

"Named after the Eglin Air Force Base; the US Air Force was involved in its development. ... A high-strength, high-performance, low-alloy, low-cost steel."

Yep, two totally different materials. My eyesight and delyicus (sp) nip me again!

Mcgyver
04-25-2019, 05:05 PM
Exotic pretty much means foriegn, so UFO materials would likely qualify. I've never had the pleasure....we do work with Hardox plate that is imported so I suppose qualifies as exotic :D

old mart
04-25-2019, 05:36 PM
Sorry, I forgot you Yanks like to make things seem larger, 250 UK tons is 560000 pounds. That alloy, incidentally is used in Airbus landing gear, nasty stuff to finish grind as it burns so easily.

loose nut
04-25-2019, 09:01 PM
Exactly. Those materials (?) are only found in Fantasyland...

I forgot one - Titanicnesium not recommended for ships hulls.

darryl
04-26-2019, 02:59 AM
'When I first saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be about sex toys or something.'

That might have something to do with erectium, or maybe just rectium.

rzbill
04-27-2019, 08:09 AM
In my view, there is a logic problem associated with materials from crashed UFOs.

We don't really want those do we? They crashed after all. (Think rusty Yugo or Chevette for instance)

We want materials from the UFOs that didn't crash...

Seastar
04-27-2019, 08:27 AM
My favorite exotic material is RDX.
It used to be black powder but I have upgraded.
I use it to machine rock
Seastar

Lew Hartswick
04-27-2019, 08:53 AM
Sorry, I forgot you Yanks like to make things seem larger, 250 UK tons is 560000 pounds. That alloy, incidentally is used in Airbus landing gear, nasty stuff to finish grind as it burns so easily.
pounds,?? I thought that was some form of MONEY. .
...lew...

CCWKen
04-27-2019, 09:13 AM
I know, they're always changing stuff over there to make it fit their story. Do they still drive on the wrong side of the road?

nickel-city-fab
04-27-2019, 09:58 AM
Like Doc Nickel said way back in the beginning of the thread, not so much in the home shop if only because of the price, but I work with Inconel very routinely in my day job. I make refinery furnace tubes out of it, about 1/2" wall x 6" dia x 30 feet long. About 1400 lbs each when completed. A few dozen a year. It machines with either carbide or HSS but you *NEED* to have the right speeds and feeds with flood coolant or else you'll end up grinding it... I machine the ends prior to welding it with TIG.

Home shop is mostly mild steel, a few bits of brass, and a few bits of tool steel.

old mart
04-27-2019, 04:12 PM
The studs screwed and loctited into Hercules C130J six bladed propeller hubs are made of Inconel. The end which bolts to the gearbox output shaft is 3/4 unf which is thread rolled and the end loctited into the hub has turned threads, about 1" or 1 1/8" slightly finer thread. While they were loctited into the aluminium hub, they are tensioned until the Loctite has hardened and then go to the jig borer to have an 1/8" locking pin hole half in the Inconel and half in the aluminium. The 1/8" hole was produced using throwaway three flute end cutting hss cutters, FC3, I believe. It was a tricky procedure because of the considerable disparity between the two metals. Each hub had 12 studs.

darryl
04-28-2019, 03:05 AM
Over the last several years I have come to appreciate the nuances of engineering that went into making these aero engines, and other engines in general. The obstacles to producing these working engines were formidable, but ingenuity overcame-