PDA

View Full Version : Online manufacturing or parts source

ironmonger
04-27-2019, 10:35 AM
I'm looking for an online manufacturer to quote on some small parts.

They are called 2D panel mounting blocks.

They are to be .25"X.25"X.375" with 3 holes drilled and tapped for 4-40 on two planes.

I have found something similar
see:
https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/110302262860/?Inch=0
look at the HCBA series.

The HCBA blocks wold have ended my search, except they are through holes and not tapped on one of the planes.

I would be happy to find a source for these, but I have been singularly unsuccessful to date.

And yes, I know how to make them, I just don't want to...

DR
04-27-2019, 12:43 PM
As a shop owner...these are the type projects shops stay away from.

The main reason is what they have to charge the customer to make any money. Typically the customer will get a price on a mass produced part that's not quite right and expect the shop to make from scratch a hand full of parts only slightly more than mass production costs. The shop will have to order material, make a drawing for their machinist, setup a machine, billing, etc, etc. Before long they're into the job for a couple hours at $100 per hour.

If I was needing these, I'd buy the catalog parts and find a local shop to add the extra holes.

I just went through this with a referral from a good customer. The referee said it was a simple job. Looking at the crude drawing from the customer it was far less than simple. If they were stock mass produced parts they would have been a couple dollars or so each. I spent an hour educating the customer as to why they weren't so easy. Then in the end he mentions another shop had already quoted $350 which was way more than he wanted to pay. In the end he mentioned his neighbor with a cheapo mill drill will do them...good luck with that.

ironmonger
04-27-2019, 06:50 PM
As a shop owner...these are the type projects shops stay away from.

The main reason is what they have to charge the customer to make any money. Typically the customer will get a price on a mass produced part that's not quite right and expect the shop to make from scratch a hand full of parts only slightly more than mass production costs. The shop will have to order material, make a drawing for their machinist, setup a machine, billing, etc, etc. Before long they're into the job for a couple hours at $100 per hour.

If I was needing these, I'd buy the catalog parts and find a local shop to add the extra holes.
<<snip>>

I completely understand the pricing structure.

The parts I'm trying to replicate are used by a radio/electronics company in the production of their cabinets, the construction and fabrication of which they sub out to a chicom metal fab company. They buy them as finished metal kits and don't have individual parts available.
The HCBA's that I referenced have the requisite number of holes, but since they are already drilled to body size on 2 of the 3 holes, there is nothing left to tap.

I have a plan to make them, but there are just enough required to place them in the PITA quantity range. Each case would require about 10.

I prolly have a lifetime need of a 100 or so spread out over my remaining expected construction years. The rework cost of the HCBA's puts them at a point where I might as well hand build them as needed...

Thanks for the insight

alanganes
04-27-2019, 07:01 PM
I don't know how the sizes of the existing holes would allow it, but could you tap them for a helicoil type insert to get the the 4-40 thread you need? Still not trivial, but if you set up for it a bit it would be much faster than making the entire part.

04-27-2019, 07:28 PM
You forgot quantity in your first post.
The only tricky or involved part I see here is the sawing. , the rest is cake.

Illinoyance
04-27-2019, 07:52 PM
Could you use a through bolt and nut through the un-tapped hole?

PStechPaul
04-27-2019, 09:06 PM
Try https://www.emachineshop.com/. Use their 3-D CADD program to draw the parts, then get an instant quote for any quantity.

Sample prices: https://www.emachineshop.com/sample-prices/#page-1

J Tiers
04-27-2019, 11:26 PM
I had a quick look through my usual electronic hardware sources. RAF hardware was the closest, but theirs have one hole staked/riveted, the other is threaded.... your design is set.

If there was the option to redesign, and US manufacturing, Penn Engineering (PEM) makes a series of swaged-in-place right angle blocks that I have used in designs. One panel needs to be hidden, due to the swaged side not being a good appearance.

ironmonger
04-29-2019, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys

I checked out Emachineshop, built the part and pretty much confirmed what DR said... Kinda figured :>)

Time to ditch the original concept and just get it done with an alternate less elegant fastener..

macona
04-30-2019, 12:20 AM
Misumi is awesome. We buy tons of stuff at work for the machines we build, some of it is stock misumi and others are stock parts that we have modified by them. The have a giant machine shop in the Cali that does all of the custom stuff.