PDA

View Full Version : Air assist for 20 Ton shop press?

gzig5
04-27-2019, 11:46 AM
I've got this Torin 20T press that has a side mounted pump and separate ram. Equivalent the one in this link.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641795_200641795

The stroke per pump is PAINFULLY slow. It seems to move about .04 - .05" per stroke which takes forever when setting up and trying to hold a part as the ram creeps into position. Is this normal for this type? Seems to be bled correctly and when it is in contact it generates the force it should.

I was wondering if there was an economical way to add a secondary air or mechanical pump to do a faster travel mode and then switch to the standard pump. I realize there will need to be check vavles and such but wondering if anyone's done something similar.

This thing is nearly unusable as it is. For most lighter stuff I have a bottle jack I"ll put on the table and just use the ram as a stop. Works much faster but is very awkward and I usually drop everything at least once tryin to position it.

Bob La Londe
04-27-2019, 12:12 PM
I've got this Torin 20T press that has a side mounted pump and separate ram. Equivalent the one in this link.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641795_200641795

The stroke per pump is PAINFULLY slow. It seems to move about .04 - .05" per stroke which takes forever when setting up and trying to hold a part as the ram creeps into position. Is this normal for this type? Seems to be bled correctly and when it is in contact it generates the force it should.

I was wondering if there was an economical way to add a secondary air or mechanical pump to do a faster travel mode and then switch to the standard pump. I realize there will need to be check vavles and such but wondering if anyone's done something similar.

This thing is nearly unusable as it is. For most lighter stuff I have a bottle jack I"ll put on the table and just use the ram as a stop. Works much faster but is very awkward and I usually drop everything at least once tryin to position it.

Yes, those are very slow. I have a couple similar hydraulic pumps. One for my porta power rams, and one for my slug buster. The speed of the cylinder is inversely proportional to the diameter of the piston. I have a 12ton press that uses an ordinary bottle jack. I switched it to an air over hydraulic jack and its much faster. Not blazing fast but faster. A similar upgrade for your press might be to get an air operated hydraulic pump with a foot pedal.

Mr Fixit
04-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Maybe you can get a attachment like these and make your own air over hydraulic system.

https://highpressuretech.com/products/liquid-pumps/how-a-liquid-pump-works/

Let us know what you work out if anything as we all can learn from your work. ;)

TX
Mr fixit for the family
Chris :)

Bob Engelhardt
04-27-2019, 01:07 PM
If you simply use compressed air to pressurize the fluid reservoir it will force fluid past the check valve and into the cylinder. There won't be enough force to do any work, but there will be enough to advance the ram. The lever would still work in its normal way. You could use the fill port on the fluid reservoir to supply the air. You would need a release valve, of course.

Bob La Londe
04-27-2019, 01:35 PM
Actually a lot of the cheap air operated foot pedals go to 10K (claimed) and are two speed. Should easily operated a 20 ton press. The key would be to NOT over pressure it.

aribert
04-29-2019, 02:16 PM
At the risk of hijacking the OP's post, could this also work on a bottle jack (adding an air port in the fill/vent port)? My press uses a 30T bottle jack and I also would like to speed up the cylinder travel when traversing to engage.

If you simply use compressed air to pressurize the fluid reservoir it will force fluid past the check valve and into the cylinder. There won't be enough force to do any work, but there will be enough to advance the ram. The lever would still work in its normal way. You could use the fill port on the fluid reservoir to supply the air. You would need a release valve, of course.

Bob La Londe
04-29-2019, 02:46 PM
Air over hydraulic bottle jacks are available, but I have not in particular noticed one over 20T. I have a 12T on my small press. I never really studied how it works, but it seems like a much different mechanism.

Bob Engelhardt
04-29-2019, 07:03 PM
At the risk of hijacking the OP's post, could this also work on a bottle jack (adding an air port in the fill/vent port)? My press uses a 30T bottle jack and I also would like to speed up the cylinder travel when traversing to engage.

Yes - principal is just the same

metalmagpie
04-29-2019, 08:14 PM
If you can get your hands on a modern 2-speed hand pump things will move along much quicker.

metalmagpie

wierdscience
04-30-2019, 04:08 AM
Here you go-

https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-psi-air-hydraulic-pump-98318.html

I have two of them,they work fine and qualify for the 20% off coupons.

The pump your press uses is a porta-power pump and develops the same pressure as the one I linked to so that won't be an issue.