PDA

View Full Version : Hot Dipped Galvanizing Thickness

JoeLee
05-01-2019, 03:31 PM
Does any one know what the average thickness of hot dipped is??

I need to know what to allow for. Are we talking about .005 - .007 give or take ??

I'm not even sure how they control the thickness or if they even try to. I know it's basically submerge the parts and pull them out. What sticks, sticks. Basically tinning.
But there is some thickness build up. I know that they don't want to go too thick because cracking can occur as it cools.

JL................

MattiJ
05-01-2019, 03:52 PM
Does any one know what the average thickness of hot dipped is??

I need to know what to allow for. Are we talking about .005 - .007 give or take ??

I'm not even sure how they control the thickness or if they even try to. I know it's basically submerge the parts and pull them out. What sticks, sticks. Basically tinning.
But there is some thickness build up. I know that they don't want to go too thick because cracking can occur as it cools.

JL................

30 to 70um minimum thickness , 40 to 80um average thickness.
0.0015 to 0.003" minimum.
Fasteners and other things where you don't want thick hot dip are centrifugally spun or shaken after hot dip to get rid of excess zinc.

Duffy
05-01-2019, 04:49 PM
Galvanizing thickness is a function of the client's request and the application of the finished product. Here in the Salted North, guardrail steel, light standards, culvert steel and bridge rails have a MUCH heavier thickness than something like boat trailers. Once upon a time it was called out in ounces per square yard. I am sure that there is a metric equivalent listed somewhere, but be assured, there is no "one thickness fits all!"

wdtom44
05-01-2019, 05:38 PM
The average thickness is a lot less than it used to be. Like most things.