PDA

View Full Version : Costco canopy - truck tarp?

metalmagpie
05-03-2019, 12:37 PM
I have a 10x20 canopy that has been outside my shop door for years. I get a lot of use out of it for storing steel, et cetera. The replacement tarps they sell for these things are very light duty. I have to replace them almost every year. I'm looking around for options.

If I measure from the ground up and around to the peak and then double it, I get 24 feet. I have noticed that heavy vinyl truck tarps come in 24x20'. These have triply reinforced hems, have their edges reinforced with rope, and have D rings sewn in.

What do you think of the idea of scrapping the top tarp and 2 side tarps and replacing them with a single trucker's tarp (aka lumber tarp)?

metalmagpie

Corbettprime
05-03-2019, 01:33 PM
I get a catalog from a company called "Farmtec", don't know anything about them, but they have fabric storage buildings for hay, machinery, and livestock. Might be a place to look.

lynnl
05-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Several years ago I was investigating material for a boat cover. Someone (probably here) recommended used/recycled billboard vinyl material as a cheap, durable option. I never fully pursued that, but a bit of research led me to think it would be a good option.

Here's one link, but depending on your location there might be good local sources.
https://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.com/billboard-vinyls/

barracudajoe
05-03-2019, 07:10 PM
I put up one of those to park my tractor in and store shovels, rakes etc. I sold the tarps that came with it and bought 20 ft sheets of roofing and screwed that on to the frame. It's been up for 15 yrs. now with no issues.

mikegt4
05-03-2019, 07:45 PM
I second Farmtec. Another source is billboard traps, there is a boat at my marina that uses them for a winter cover, a bit garish but they work well.
https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/home
https://billboardtarps.com/

metalmagpie
06-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Followup: I did order a 24x20' truck tarp. It is heavy vinyl - NOT pvc. It has D-rings, grommets, and edges reinforced with heavy webbing. Its designed use is the center tarp of a 3 tarp set for covering long flatbed loads of lumber. The end tarps from those sets have flaps but the middle one is a plain rectangle. It is 24x20 actual size.

It fits my 10x20 canopy just great. Night and day difference from one of those replacement top tarps. The kicker? The trucker tarp doesn't cost much more. Although shipping is probably more - this tarp is well over 100 pounds.

I mounted it with the D rings in.

metalmagpie

JoeLee
06-01-2019, 09:52 PM
I get a catalog from a company called "Farmtec", don't know anything about them, but they have fabric storage buildings for hay, machinery, and livestock. Might be a place to look.I had the same issue. Bought 12 x 24 canopy a few years ago for summer use to keep my lift under and out of the rain. One day I noticed it was wet, I thought it might be condensation dripping from the inside of the canopy. Well I was wrong. I looked up and could see sun light through tiny pin holes. The material was pretty thin. It didn't even last a year. The mfg. replaced it telling me it should have lasted longer. So I did some looking around and found Farmtec. They advertised that they will make custom fit covers for any size frame. really heavy material and guaranteed fro something like 10 years.
They said to draw them a detailed sketch with dimensions and how I wanted the corners to fit and form and they would quote me a price, so I did. Can't remember what the price was but I figured it to be well worth it. I sent them a very detailed drawing with pictures of how the corners were made on the original, I couldn't have been any more specific in detail, dimensions and pictures. My new cover arrived about a week later. I opened it up on the law and all it was was a straight tarp with no folded corners or anything. They apologized and said to keep it and that they would make me another one.
well when that one came it looked OK on the ground, the corners were formed and hot melted and sealed as they should be.
I threw the cover over the canopy frame and started pulling it around and anchoring it down with the ratchet straps. They messed up the position of the sleeve that runs the length of the cover on both sides where you slip the tubes through to ratchet it tight. I couldn't really ratchet the cover tight because of this. I called them back and explained the issue. Told them the sleeve was in the wrong place, you didn't follow my dimensions as clearly stated in my diagram. They reply was, well our computer makes the necessary adjustments as far as positioning the sleeve from the edges. I said wait...... this is a custom fit cover not what your computer thinks it should be. I can't pull this cover tight, it sucks !
So they gave me a refund. Unbelievable !

JL....................