PDA

View Full Version : Zimmerman Ribbon Belt Sander: anyone used one

Tundra Twin Track
05-05-2019, 09:28 PM
Was curious if anyone has used one of these Made in Germany belt sanders? The belt goes up and down vertically,the sqaure upper support is also the vacuum tube ( I think).
This set up would allow internal sanding(grinding is what I'm interested in)I think it would make this a versatile machine.https://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag292/tundratwintrack/image_zpslyttg3fy.jpg (https://s1371.photobucket.com/user/tundratwintrack/media/image_zpslyttg3fy.jpg.html)

Alan Smith
05-06-2019, 03:05 AM
That looks like a really useful bit of kit.
There's a fellow on Practical Machinist, I think his tag is Trboatworks, who refers to a Zimmerman sander. He may be able to give you an insight.
For me, if I was sure I could get replacement belts I'd buy that in a heart beat!

DR
05-06-2019, 09:53 AM
That looks like a really useful bit of kit.
There's a fellow on Practical Machinist, I think his tag is Trboatworks, who refers to a Zimmerman sander. He may be able to give you an insight.
For me, if I was sure I could get replacement belts I'd buy that in a heart beat!

Replacement belts are not usually a problem. There are companies called "converters" that will make belts to whatever size you need.

Back in the day I had an Italian machine that used a really odd size belt, roughly 7" x 73", no problem at all getting them custom made. The price was much less than the USA distributor charged for Italian made belts from the machine builder. 3M, Norton, etc will make whatever you need, but they have fairly large minimum quantity requirements that independents don't have.

As to the machine in question here..... I'm not quite sure how it works. Does the belt go up and over a roller at the top?

It's possible to replace the blade on bandsaws with a sanding belt to accomplish a similar result. Or, the 1 x 42" Rockwell sanders did a good job.

Tundra Twin Track
05-06-2019, 10:25 AM
The belt runs vertical over a roller,the platen is flat on one side curved on other.There are different widths of platens each has its own roller.

05-06-2019, 12:02 PM
There is a Zimmerman vertical mill in the craigslist thread.. a link to it..
Nice machine, but made for patterns.

Tundra Twin Track
05-06-2019, 09:48 PM
There is a Zimmerman vertical mill in the craigslist thread.. a link to it..
Nice machine, but made for patterns.

My freind has a 24" Zimmerman Disc Sander/Grinder qaulity is top of the charts,equvilent or better than my Max 24" Disc Machine.He purchased the Disc machine from a German Pattern maker that had it shipped new from Germany along with a large pattern lathe $36000 cdn. In 1973 for both machines.