X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • im#2
    • Jun 2005

Robo calls:

Its 10:00 here in eastern Colo. and I have endured 3 robo calls already with one purporting to be from the local emt. organization and another claiming to be my "OLDEST GRANDSON" in a very broken English voice. This is too much, we as a group need to raise heck with our phone company's and our elected officials. there has to be an answer to this stopping this baloney. All three of these calls were a local looking number, there has to be a fault in the phone system to let them use a local number to do this?
    I am going to call my "elected do nothings for their pay" and waist some more of my time this morning!
  • BCRider
    • Dec 2015

The systems that are in place at the overseas centers that generate that junk are very good at spoofing local numbers. There's nothing that your carrier or the local politicians can do. It would take a lot more cooperation at much higher levels to shut down these low life operations.

One of the investigative TV shows tracked down one of the major call centers that generates this junk and what do you know? It was a rather large office building employing hundreds of operators that do nothing all day but make such calls. So even though a lot of these scams are well known it's still apparently a big money maker for them.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• ed_h
      • Jan 2006

I believe these are Internet calls that are directed to a telephone network gateway in the local area code, so from the point of view of the telephone network, the call originated in the area code, so it looks like a local call.

If these scammers had to pay long distance charges, their operation would be a financial non-srarter.

Ed
      For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

• JoeLee
        • Aug 2009

Try this. It will stop about 98% of the calls. It worked for me.

Finally! No more annoying robocalls and spam texts.

JL......

Comment

• chucketn
          • Jan 2010

+1 on NOMOROBO. Doesn't stop calls with spoofed #'s, but know/reported spammers will ring only once and the call is disconnected. Spam calls here are so bad, we screen all calls(caller id) and never answer a call that we don't recognize or does not provide the caller's name.

I have even gotten calls from my own #!

Now days getting a lot of calls from "Private" with no # info attached.

Comment

• CCWKen
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            Try this. It will stop about 98% of the calls. It worked for me.

Finally! No more annoying robocalls and spam texts.

JL......
            Where are you located? My service provider (ATT) already has an app for that. I get maybe 1 a month slipping through. My land-line gets 10-12 a day! And yes, I'm on the do not call list. It's permanently on an answering machine. I check the messages about three times a week. Most of the robo calls don't leave a message. I'm real close to turning that line off and going cell only.

Comment

• mklotz
              • Mar 2001

+2 on NOMOROBO.
              Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
              http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

• Yondering
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by chucketn View Post
                +1 on NOMOROBO. Doesn't stop calls with spoofed #'s,
                Almost all of the spam calls I get are from spoofed local numbers. Probably 99% of them; I can't remember the last time one of these was not a spoofed number. That doesn't sound like nomorobo would help much.

It's gotten so bad that I just don't answer calls from local numbers unless they're on my contact list.

Comment

• wdtom44
                  • Oct 2014

Until EVERYBODY stops doing business with these scams the calls will probably continue. We don't answer the phone anymore, wait for it to display the caller name. And if I don't answer and it is important or someone I know they will leave a message or call back. I would think by now EVERYBODY would know that most of these calls are scams and not do business with them. This has been going on for long enough there is no excuse for not knowing.

Comment

• Juiceclone
                    • Oct 2014

i just answer, and then educate in gutter level English ...I find it very satisfying...

Comment

• Stu
                      • Jul 2007

we just use our answering machine set on 2 rings, robo calls usually hang up if they don't get a "Hello". It works pretty well
                      stu

Comment

• CCWKen
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Juiceclone View Post
                        i just answer, and then educate in gutter level English ...I find it very satisfying...
                        Most of the time you're just talking to a computer. They sound real until you give an answer it doesn't understand or expect. Sometimes they'll get stuck in a question loop trying to get you to say "yes" or some affirmation.

Comment

• ed_h
                          • Jan 2006

I find it entertaining to get them off script and take control of the call. Most of the callers aren't that bright and it's easy to turn the tables on them.

But they still keep calling.

Ed
                          For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

• h12721
                            • Oct 2006

How would you like to get a robo call with your own number? what's next?
                            HM

Comment

• Lew Hartswick
                              • Aug 2002

I now answer the phone (when I'm sitting at the computer and the phone is right behind me) with "Who is this" and then wait to see if any voice comes on. Usually nothing so I hang up. When I'm not that close it goes to the answering mach. and either a long rambling dissertation that is completely unintelligible or just silence ensues. so when I get around to it they are just deleted. I think I'm going to make an "anouncement" for the machine that says something like . If you want me listen to you speak S L O W L Y and D I S T I C T L Y and keep it short.
                              ...lew...

Comment

Working...
                              X