View Full Version : New bending roller in my fotobucket

m_kilde
09-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Hi all

Got my bending roller finished
Thanks to all but specially Allan Waterfall for inspiration in this forum

http://photobucket.com/albums/v127/m_kilde/?action=view&current=205a5e4d.jpg

and

http://photobucket.com/albums/v127/m_kilde/?action=view&current=pladevalsedelnr017.jpg

Mogens

G.A. Ewen
09-25-2004, 09:32 AM
Excellent!

Allan Waterfall
09-25-2004, 09:48 AM
Congratulations.

You make some neat stuff, I like your folder,it's something that is on my "to do" list.

Allan

wierdscience
09-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Cool,nice work!

WJHartson
09-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Very nice work, you will enjoy and should be proud.

Joe

Mark Jones
09-25-2004, 05:20 PM
Nice looking rollers.
you made a fine job of them.
I have a friend who is mass-produsing these,
he supplies them to schools and colledges.
someone got hold of one, off him and sold it on ebay the other day
ebay item 3839557471
fetched a very good price
so if you can work out a method to mass-produce them...there is a definate market on ebay for you ...just look at the number of bids and views on the above and all with a p**s poor picture as well.
good luck
all the best...mark

nheng
09-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Nice work ! You and Allan are inspiring me to go build one. The only problem is that I would then have lots of round rings all over the house instead of turned down, projectile shaped objects http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif
Den

Michael Az
09-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Nice work!!!!
Michael

nheng
09-25-2004, 05:55 PM
Mogens,

Why does your parent page for the photos have relevant ad links at the top? Is that an option in Photobucket?

Den

Mike W
09-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Very nice. I need to build one. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

zl1byz
09-25-2004, 07:10 PM

Techtchr
09-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Very nice. I need to make one as well.
Thanks for the pictures.
Matt

m_kilde
09-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Hi all

Thank you all for the kind words

Mark Jones - I don't think I would be interested in producing the apparatus, I intend how ever to submit detailed shop drawing at www.wallenderengineering.com (http://www.wallenderengineering.com)

nheng - I'm not sure why there is a link at the top, maybe I have indicated interest in steam engine when signing in to the photobucket - but I don't remember

zl1byz - At the one end, the apparatus have a tooth wheel gear, to transform force from the handwheel to the two lower rolls, thereby transporting the sheet to be bend

Mogens

zl1byz
09-27-2004, 03:41 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by m_kilde:

zl1byz - At the one end, the apparatus have a tooth wheel gear, to transform force from the handwheel to the two lower rolls, thereby transporting the sheet to be bend

Mogens</font>

Yes Mogens I realise what the gears are doing. Was more interested in how you kept them in mesh when the top roller moves.

Cheers, John.

Ops after posting this I re read your original explanation and see your only driving the bottom 2 rolls.

[This message has been edited by zl1byz (edited 09-27-2004).]

John Stevenson
09-27-2004, 04:13 AM
I'm toying with the idea to do a ring roller.
I need rings in steel from 3/16" thick up to 1/4" thick anthing from 1" wide up to 2" qide and in diameters from just under 2" up to 8" but they need to be round.

As these are quite narrow I have thought about useing a one sided roller based on a motor and reduction gearbox.

A second roller also gear driven from the first and just below with some adjustment to handle the different thickness and two rolers, one either side of these two that can move up together, in a horseshoe type plate, to alter the radius.

My idea of using the two rollers is so that it can self feed the strip back into the pinch rollers to make it do a full circle without the two small flats you often get at the start and end of curve.

If I get enough tension on it will force the ends to ut together tightly, I can then sparg these slightly with a packer, weld the gap and put the ring back in to make sure it's round.
These are for sleeves for motor bearings.
At the moment I'm carring a decent stock but as you get up in size to around the 4" to 6" size they are starting to get expensive, about $20 a pop. A 26' length of hot rolled steel is about $8 and that will make a lot of rings.

Feedback, flames, cash donations or donuts will be gratefully recieved.

John S.

kap pullen
09-27-2004, 09:46 AM
m kilde,

Beautiful work.

I have a similar one designed by -- Thomas of Model Engineer years ago.

Never seen a home made box and pan brake like that. You could sell drawings for both.

John

I mounted three heavy cam followers vertically on an old machinist vise's jaws.
They are in a triangle pattern intersecting when the vise is closed.

I have sleeves with a crank handle mounted to hold various shapes of material that slip over the center roller.

I have a stop screw between the jaws for repeat jobs.

I have rolled cannon, traction engine wheels, gear guard bands, and train rails over the years with this devise.

Only problem is that I have to trim about an inch and a quarter off the ends because the rolls don't intersect like a regular roll.

The vise provides the clamping motion. I roll up to 3/8" x 1" h.r.s. for train rail, or 1/4" x 2" flats with it for wheels.

Just another quick and dirty tool in the garage for the other 2/3 to gripe about.

When I do some little thing for her with it, she'll relent, like that old Cub Cadet I tuned, mounted chains, and a plow on for winter.

kap