PDA

View Full Version : Clausing lathe clutch

Stepside
08-31-2004, 09:15 AM
I am repairing a Clausing model 111 lathe. This particular lathe has a clutch/brake set-up. The brake is an external band brake and it works fine.
The clutch is an internal expanding clutch that is cast iron running on cast iron.
My question is-- Should there be any oil ect. on the two surfaces or should they run dry? The manuals with the lathe show the parts of the clutch but they have no information on the care,or adjustment.

Mike Burdick
08-31-2004, 12:43 PM
Steptoe,

Wow, I have one of those lathes too!

Before I run the lathe for the day, I oil everything, which includes putting a few drops on the clutch engagement mechanisms. Through the years I’m sure oil has made its way into the cast iron clutch housing but that doesn’t seem to be a problem. I think oil can get to it also when the step pulley is oiled on the counter shaft. Adjustment for the clutch is made by tightening the screw in the back (what the handle is attached to) and for the brake, one can tighten or loosen the band.

I sure like the lathe, and the clutch/brake arrangement sure is simple and handy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/MikeBurdick/img53.gif

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 08-31-2004).]

h_dog3
09-26-2004, 09:35 PM
I also have this lathe. When I engage the clutch nothing turns. Am I doing something wrong or can the clutch wear out?

Stepside
09-27-2004, 09:25 AM
I have completly taken the clutch/brake mechanism apart and cleaned everything. The only thing I could see "wrong/broken" was a corner of the clutch spring was trapped under the adjusting screw so I couldn't adjust the clutch.
I hope to install the parts this coming weekend and will then know if it is repaired. All the adjustments seem to be simple enough.