PDA

View Full Version : OT- Any MAC Gurus here?

rws
06-15-2019, 10:48 AM
When I take a break from my laptop, I used to just close the lid which I assumed put it in sleep mode. In the past, I could do this for weeks with no problems. Lately, I can do this as few as a couple times in a day, to maybe several days, and it needs to be restarted via the button. This wipes out my old session and I have to re-log back into everything. So what may be different? I ran "crapcleaner", deleted what it suggested. I'm using Firefox as the browser. It's not a real big deal, but it's different from what it used to be. Any ideas?

RB211
06-15-2019, 11:23 AM
When I take a break from my laptop, I used to just close the lid which I assumed put it in sleep mode. In the past, I could do this for weeks with no problems. Lately, I can do this as few as a couple times in a day, to maybe several days, and it needs to be restarted via the button. This wipes out my old session and I have to re-log back into everything. So what may be different? I ran "crapcleaner", deleted what it suggested. I'm using Firefox as the browser. It's not a real big deal, but it's different from what it used to be. Any ideas?

Since you paid a 300% premium on the outdated components inside of your Mac, I will not suggest you throw it away and buy a proper PC.
Is it under warranty still? My 2013 Macbook Pro does that sometimes, but only in Windows 10, which is what I run it on 99.9% of the time. Some Macbook Pro's have known issues with the hinges and the thin wires that run through them. Not sure what crapcleaner is, but I shy away from all of those 3rd party "miracle" programs.

danlb
06-15-2019, 01:26 PM
Sleeping and resuming from sleep is a more complicated thing than it appears to be. Programs have to be saved somewhere, with their memory use/state captured so that each program can be started again as if they never stopped. Drivers and other background programs are problematic in that they often have timing issues that get screwed up when they go to sleep at 11:00 and resume the next day. They are often just restarted so that they can reinitialize the hardware, timers, etc.

Having said that, I'd look at any drivers or background programs that you've installed in the recent past. Reinstall those if you can.

Dan

mihit
06-15-2019, 02:35 PM
How long does the battery last? Do you usually/always run with it plugged in?

Have you tried manually putting it in sleep/hibernate? Rather than just closing the lid.
You say you "assume" it goes to sleep, surely there's a setting somewhere to check/specify what it does...

Is the HDD nearly full? (no space to write a hibernation file...)

rws
06-15-2019, 03:52 PM
First, I didn't pay a dime for this, it was given to me. This is a 2012 MacBook Pro. I have used almost only Firefox for the browser. Battery life is good, I can go for 3-4 hours and I don't leave it plugged in. I charge, use it down to at least 25%, then charge again. When this issue got as frequent as it is now, I went to manually putting it in sleep mode, and I can't say there is a measurable difference with that or closing the lid. What is a HDD? Sounds like a possibility if I knew how to check it.

Forgot to add, this morning I started using Safari to see if there is a difference. Too soon to tell.

Looked up HDD, hard drive. I have 231G available in a 255G drive.

jcfx
06-15-2019, 07:31 PM
Give it the three finger salute to reset the PRAM / NVRAM -
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063
If that doesn't work, in the above linked support article there is a link to resetting the SMC ( system management control )

Worse case scenario if it's been sitting unplugged and with a depleted main battery before it was given to you
the PRAM battery may need replacing. One symptom ( an old one ) was that on boot up you get a alert window that
said the date and time is not accurate.

tomato coupe
06-15-2019, 09:53 PM
Since you paid a 300% premium on the outdated components inside of your Mac, I will not suggest you throw it away and buy a proper PC.

Wow, I didn't realize Macs cost 4x as much as PCs.

J Tiers
06-15-2019, 10:51 PM
Danlb has it.... Some programs just have issues restarting from sleep.... I use Alibre, and it used to have that, but in newer versions Alibre fixed most/all of those issues.

Might the OS have been updated such that the changes caused an issue? Not unknown for an OS "fix" to eff up a lot of things, even make programs that used to work, fail.

BTW, we found that MACs with problems were seriously broke..... When even the regional MAC guru could not fix our problems, the management threw out the MACs and made the art department use PCs.

mihit
06-15-2019, 10:57 PM
Forgot to add, this morning I started using Safari to see if there is a difference. Too soon to tell.

Looked up HDD, hard drive. I have 231G available in a 255G drive.
Wont be a problem with underprovisioning then...:D
What leads you to think Firefox is the issue? Did you recently install it? (Not that it isn't the problem, it is an obese browser)

jcfx' advice is good. If the problem persists through a firm reset, it's probably a hardware issue.

Wow, I didn't realize Macs cost 4x as much as PCs.

*of comparable specs.

Of course Mac, being unix, makes far better use of it.

RB211
06-16-2019, 12:39 AM
Wont be a problem with underprovisioning then...:D
What leads you to think Firefox is the issue? Did you recently install it? (Not that it isn't the problem, it is an obese browser)

jcfx' advice is good. If the problem persists through a firm reset, it's probably a hardware issue.

*of comparable specs.

Of course Mac, being unix, makes far better use of it.

I have yet to see a linux build make better use of Nvidia graphics cards for gaming. As far as CPU's? No idea. I really like Linux, and I even like OS X a lot. However, Apple is far too much like a cult that likes to drink their own pee.

mihit
06-16-2019, 03:27 AM
I have yet to see a linux build make better use of Nvidia graphics cards for gaming. As far as CPU's? No idea. I really like Linux, and I even like OS X a lot. However, Apple is far too much like a cult that likes to drink their own pee.

Unix, not linux. OSX is AUX kernel. Apple has their hooks in with manufacturers, ie, they get source code to work with.
If the manufacturers would open source their drivers: M$, and probably Apple, would disappear up their own asses.

Linux FOSS drivers have come a long way (I choose AMD over nvidia), but still fall short of the manufacturers' proprietary blobs.
Does this matter for a guy who uses 10% of his HDD and Firefox on a free laptop? Probably not.
I do not like OSX (OS9 Rulez!) but this thread isn't about what you or I like...

Glug
06-16-2019, 07:53 AM
Pretty sure the OP didn't post here to hear people lecture about how great they think this month's version of windows is or any of that off topic BS.

The suspend feature halts the CPU(s) and keeps power to memory, preserving the state and allowing quick restart. The events to suspend and wake should be extensively logged, as with most things on MacOS. You should google on the diag steps or ask on a mac specific forum.

An alternative is hibernation, where the info from memory is saved to disk. It takes a bit longer to wake but accomplishes the same thing. A key difference is the machine is completely off with hibernate and uses no power. I suggest you diag the problem before trying to switch sleep modes.

mihit
06-16-2019, 04:14 PM
No-one mentioned windows 'till you mate :p

fjk
06-16-2019, 04:26 PM
A 2012 machine is old. It could be something as simple as there flash that holds the machine’s state while asleep has worn out.

Have you looked at the system logs
On my relatively recent Mac it’s launchpad->other->console... ymmv

Glug
06-16-2019, 04:58 PM
No-one mentioned windows 'till you mate :p

You didn't read the first reply in the thread?

Is it under warranty still? My 2013 Macbook Pro does that sometimes, but only in Windows 10, which is what I run it on 99.9% of the time.

A 2012 machine is old. It could be something as simple as there flash that holds the machine’s state while asleep has worn out.

My old 2008 Thinkpad t61 just keeps going and going.. The CPU has been re-greased a couple times, gone through a few keyboards (decent used keyboards are cheap). Few laptops have such nice keyboard feel.

mihit
06-17-2019, 12:34 AM
You didn't read the first reply in the thread?
doh. :o