PDA

View Full Version : How does our wife get rid of all our 'stuff' ?

Ringo
06-20-2019, 09:12 AM
We are all guilty, we all got 'stuff' in the garage. stuff that the wife has to deal with if we happen to die sooner than expected..
How does the wife sell, and then load up a milling machine? Lathe?
I don't know about your's but my wife doesn't know the difference of a lathe or a mill. 5C or R8? nope.
Does she know it's worth, does she give it away? give it to scrap metal?
Does she know to segregate the center rest with the lathe, and the vise with the mill? Nope.
I'm feeling in good health, but the last purchase came with a warning from the Mrs.,,,,,, NO MORE!!! "You're gonna leave that stuff with ME to get rid of"..........
what is a guy to do with his 'stuff'?

A.K. Boomer
06-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Croaking the bucket is ok, it's the kicking part you want to avoid...

Mcgyver
06-20-2019, 09:29 AM
Croaking the bucket is ok,

sounds like something after a big night out with the boys....if I'm croaking the bucket, leave the machines out of it :D

A.K. Boomer
06-20-2019, 09:35 AM
For sure - nothing worse than walking out to the shop with gritty teeth and a massive hang-over and saying to yourself "hey - where did all my equipment go"?

just for having a quick conversation with "Ralph" lol

Ringo
06-20-2019, 09:47 AM
OK, that went south a little too quick, I edited the OP.
die sooner than expected................

Mcgyver
06-20-2019, 09:49 AM
For sure - nothing worse than walking out to the shop with gritty teeth and a massive hang-over and saying to yourself "hey - where did all my equipment go"?
l

k, that really was a lol

Willy
06-20-2019, 09:59 AM
My big question is can I put the polyester stuff in with the cottons and what about fabric softener, in the washer or the dryer? Don't even get me started about colorfast and bleach!!!

Seriously, who says you're checking out first?
But when it comes right down to it, you can save her a lot of grief and sell all of your stuff now and twiddle your thumbs until the grim reaper has your ride ready. Or her new boyfriend inherits a big toy box full of equipment he has less knowledge of than your wife does.

Personally I have much younger friends that are knowledgeable on the subject (shop equipment and tooling) who will likely step up to the plate and and handle the inevitable, how to get all of that stuff in the box with me.;)

Frank K
06-20-2019, 10:00 AM
Call the nearest trade high school and invite them over to take what they want. She should ask them for a receipt for what they think its worth for tax purposes. That way she gets a tax refund as a reward for getting away with killing you for buying so many tools.
If that doesn't work, she can ask one of your machinist friends to conduct an auction.

garyhlucas
06-20-2019, 10:03 AM
Make a list of people or organizations that would appreciate what you have. Include an approximate value of each piece and let her sell it those people or organizations or donate it as she chooses

A very good friend recently passed leaving his wife with a massive amount of wood working tools in the barn. He had offered to let my grandson use his foundry equipment and she gave the whole lot to him. I offered to help sell it all off. However she fell down breaking both legs and her wrist so this is a back burner issue right now.

Lee Cordochorea
06-20-2019, 10:08 AM
Valuation is the key. If the survivor knows what price tags to put on things, they can use Craigslist or any number of venues to sell.

Valuation is important to insurance as well, right? So just pretend you're doing it for insurance instead of inevitability.

Take a picture or three of everything, just as if you were going to sell it off to make room for a sexier one. Label the image file with the thing's name and value. Update the filenames with updated value every five or ten years.

Let your S.O. know about this, of course.

Everybody dies, including you. You can be a putz and joke about it and leave behind a huge logistical mess for someone you claim to love. Or... you can cowboy up and deal with your own mortality like a responsible adult. I don't care which one you choose. I'm not the one who has to clean up after you.

06-20-2019, 10:17 AM
He who dies with the most tooling , is still dead.,

Paul Alciatore
06-20-2019, 10:26 AM
Boy is this timely. My wife has been saying what am I going to do with all that stuff for years now. And it is not getting any better.

I am reading this one twice and taking notes.

oxford
06-20-2019, 10:27 AM
At that point it doesn’t matter, whatever the easiest and less stressful for them. If that means the scrap guy comes and gets it so be it. They should not have to deal with trying to sell this stuff on Craigslist.

J Tiers
06-20-2019, 10:35 AM
The reality of the situation is probably that much the stuff has almost NO value aside from scrap. Does not matter if you croak, or if you sell off your stuff when you are "too old to care anymore".

Categories:

manual machines:
I'm not that young, but if I last about the expected time, manual machines will likely be worth scrap, less the cost of hauling, as "everything" will be CNC OR "additive machining"...i.e. "printed". The exception might be anything that is considered "collectible", but those machines will be, by definition, rare.

Shop made CNC:
Unless made in a professional manner (looks factory) with known components, probably scrap value less hauling, because nobody wants to decipher your "mess" (their probable description, not mine). Even if actual factory with manuals, very low to no value, because of parts going obsolete, company out of business, etc, unless suitable for replacement with newer controls. Well built stuff in between value.

hand tools:
probability is that the value will be low, 5 to 10 cents on the dollar, because that has been the trend. Against that is all the stuff that may get scrapped because nobody fixes anything, so they don't need , and do not know how to use tools. That could raise value a little for certain things and the right buyer.

Some time after that, manual will probably be more valuable again.... it will be "artisanal" stuff, the way that anvils and blacksmithing stuff has become.

Completed projects:
Value far lower than you think.... unless impeccably made to the point of being works of art.

materials:
Straight up scrap value. Of course, scrap may be MUCH more valuable, or not, depending on future conditions. I estimate a 25% chance of scrap of all sorts going up enough in 20 years to make many folks consider scrapping unused equipment and tools instead of selling to a buyer who will use it,

This assumes that machines are still legal, that there has been no "you could make a gun/bomb/knife/anything we don't like with that" laws passed as in some other countries, and that there is no other changed viewpoint or circumstance that affects home shops. Probably a 10% chance of very different circumstances in 20 years that work against folks with shops.

bob_s
06-20-2019, 10:43 AM
Man there are a lot of optimists here!

For most of the spouses the path of least resistance will be a single telephone call to 1-800-GOT-JUNK

KiddZimaHater
06-20-2019, 10:47 AM
I've already told my wife to sell everything when I go.
Contact an auction house if needed. Let them deal with everything.

tlfamm
06-20-2019, 10:48 AM
The reality of the situation is probably that much the stuff has almost NO value aside from scrap. Does not matter if you croak, or if you sell off your stuff when you are "too old to care anymore".

Quite true, I'm afraid. I have a son in the HSM game, however, and I can pass the problem on to him.

Stu
06-20-2019, 10:51 AM
Estate auction, everything goes, and machine stuff usually gets pretty good prices (in my area at least)

shawnspeed
06-20-2019, 11:02 AM
Odd timing of this post... it just so happens, an acquaintance of mine I met thru a good friend (both gone now) , is having an estate auction Saturday...or should I say his Kids are ... he has some really nice stuff was into prototype car stuff for a living ...owned a performance go kart business in the 70's-80's, loved motorcycles and equipment... Snap on boxes & tools, Bridgeport, Rockwell metal Lathe , looked to be a South Bend Heavy 10 lathe , and it looked to be a LARGE 18" swing Monarch with 80" centers , tooling 13' dries&Krump sheetmetal Brake...6-7 motorcycles, 8 Fieros, and trailers, tractors, and misc. other vehicles including 1/4 midgets, sprint car, and vintage car parts...I cant bring myself to go....

MushCreek
06-20-2019, 11:03 AM
A year ago I had a heart stent put in, and that was a BIG wake-up call. Since then, I've 1) Lost weight and changed my diet and exercise, 2) Retired, and 3) Set about trying to get the bigger honey-do's done around here, and tried to get my stuff under some measure of control. I built our house, and there were some things never finished, especially the basement. I'm well along on that, and it should be finished for the most part by November. Likewise, I never finished the inside of my shop, so I'm working on that, too. Lastly- the stuff. I have a lot of old hobbies that no longer interest me, and that stuff is starting to go. I have a long way to go, though. My goal is to be fully organized and thinned out in 5 years, although at my current pace, it will be much sooner. The remaining stuff is being photographed and catalogued so my wife and/or son will at least know what it is, and whether it's worth screwing with. If everything is neat and clean, at least an auction house could come in and list the stuff.

larry_g
06-20-2019, 11:04 AM
I have a son that is taking the shop tools, so I have that covered. I also belong to a model engineers club that has in the past as a club gone in and valued or sold a deceased members shop so the widow or family doesn't have to deal with it.

lg
no neat sig line

plunger
06-20-2019, 11:13 AM
Some member said you should be responsible and sort things out before you die so you dont leave your wife with the hassle. Give everything a price and what goes with what.

If I did that my wife would realize I have been lying to her for years and I am afraid she would kill me before my natural time. Not worth risking it .I will suggest the auction route.

tlfamm
06-20-2019, 11:21 AM
Some member said you should be responsible and sort things out before you die so you dont leave your wife with the hassle. Give everything a price and what goes with what.

If I did that my wife would realize I have been lying to her for years and I am afraid she would kill me before my natural time. Not worth risking it .I will suggest the auction route.

<snort> ...

sid pileski
06-20-2019, 12:23 PM
My wife has a fair knowledge of what the tools are and what I payed for each as she was consulted on most of the major purchases.
I never really keep her out of the loop. Especially because I use my tools to make money.
The real variable would be all of the models that I've built over the years, and the ones I fully intend to build, God willing.
Most likely, they will go to the kids. The appreciate them. My '32 Coupe will be fought over probably, because there is only one! But I think my daughter would end up with it.
She wants to build her own anyway.

Sid

Black Forest
06-20-2019, 12:31 PM
i just hope she does not sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them or someone is going to be smiling!

Willy
06-20-2019, 12:34 PM
i just hope she does not sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them or someone is going to be smiling!

Ha Ha Ha

At least you haven't lost your sense of humor, sore flipper and all.:D

Black Forest
06-20-2019, 12:55 PM
Ha Ha Ha

At least you haven't lost your sense of humor, sore flipper and all.:D

HA HA This pain killer they gave me is great. I am going to lie to my Dr. when he asks how the pain is doing.

6270 Productions
06-20-2019, 01:42 PM
If she goes first, I will have to deal with her Teddy Bears, Dolls, glassware, tupperware, jewelry, linens, knick-knacks, etc.

I don't think she is working on an inventory and value of that stuff.

It seems only fair. If I have to deal with her stuff, she has to deal with my stuff.

OaklandGB
06-20-2019, 01:50 PM
The Garage and shed contents:
1. Let the adult kids, and grand kids take their pick. May want some of the stuff they learned to use.
2. Anything left offered to trade school.
3. Estate sale or auction.
3. Got Junk called in to remove the rest.

Oaks out......ooops, "out" in the sense I've ended my comment, not "checked out". :)

mattthegamer463
06-20-2019, 02:31 PM
Go around and put a coloured sticker on every machine and all it's accessories and related items. Red for mill, green for lathe, etc.

And maybe write on everything your estimated sale value and be realistic about it. Your wife won't haggle the buyer like you will. And don't be precious, you'll be a corpse.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Rich Carlstedt
06-20-2019, 04:20 PM
I lost 4 good friends last year and they all had shops, so I know exactly what you are talking about
I was asked by the family's to help and in the process and disposed of 4 shops.
Knowing about , or having membership in a home shop or hobby club is a great resource for disposal,
and provided the quickest and easiest method. I found that most tooling goes for about 25 % of what you may value it at.
Some higher, some lower. Starrett Hand tools went for 20 to 30 % and Chinese RT's went for 35 % of new.
Having a good and knowledgeable friend assures the widow of not being ripped off..... This is the singular number 1 Requirement !

True story...and I can't name names. I was at a used machinery and tools dealer on a rainy and NO customers day.
I think he forgot I was in the store ( I'm quiet) and was in the aisle behind his desk/counter when I heard him talking to a widow on the phone.
He set up an appointment for inspection ( he ran tool auctions too) . He hung up and immediately called another guy(s) (repeated calls) and said
" I just talked to (Mrs) Brown..her husband died ...and she wants to sell his shop.. Don't go over 5 thou...she'll call you no doubt...
I was in his shop... maybe 25 thousand ( value ?) ..keep me posted on your thoughts.... call jack......."

When I checked out, he realized I overheard his calls and was very sheepish....Rat Fink.

So this SOB was working against the widow ...never forgot that and never darkened his door again.

Rich

I plan to purge the stuff I don't use

john hobdeclipe
06-20-2019, 04:25 PM
I have what I call the "ICIC" list. (In Case I Croak). It's actually two parts.

First is an extensive list of the machines and major tools, including serial numbers, year of manufacture, how much I paid, and how much it should sell for.

Second is a list of how to sell the stuff. Example: the EMCO lathe get a symbol...a red circle. Everything that should be sold as a package with the lathe (chucks, tool holders, steady rest, follow rest, extra parts) has a red circle painted on it and is called out in the list. Lathe accessories that would probably bring more money if sold separately all have a red square painted on them

Likewise, the list states that the Bridgeport mill should be sold along with the Blue Kurt vise. Then follows a list of milling machine accessories that should be sold separately for best return. These all have a blue triangle painted on them or on their boxes or storage drawers.

And the list goes on. I ty to keep it up to date.

I also have a file drawer with neatly organized literature for all of the stuff in the shop.

We already know who our choice of an auctioneer is, and he already has seen the shop and the lists.

I feel that I owe this to my wife, to help her get the best return with the least hassle. Of course, the ideal situation is to keep your wits about you, and when you get to the point that the finish line is in sight, sell out in a controlled and unhurried manner. But "ideal situations" don't always work out.

Note, in the pic below, the red circle on both the chuck and on the four-way tool post.

http://www.auldooly.com/imagehost/P2210186-19.jpg

Mcgyver
06-20-2019, 04:30 PM
True story...and I can't name names.

I sort of get why not, on a public forum and all, but I'd name him in any personal conversation I was having. He doesn't deserve your protection. Not like the black sedans are going roll in for $5M, but price fixing is not just illegal, its a criminal offense I believe in most jurisdictions.

I found that most tooling goes for about 25 % of what you may value it at.
Some higher, some lower. Starrett Hand tools went for 20 to 30 % and Chinese RT's went for 35 % of new.

don't fully understand this...when you say "may value at", do you mean its going for 25% what its current value is as a used tool, or 25% what it cost new? in my experience used tools go for 10-35% of new retail depending on condition, with really expensive items at low end of that range. So if Starrett stuff was going to 20-30% of new, that is where I'd expect its value to be at

AD5MB
06-20-2019, 04:37 PM
this comes up every time a ham radio operator goes SK ( silent key ). ham radio is about a hundred years old. you would think a hobby centered on communication would not have this problem

when I die more people will show up claiming I promised them one of my pool cues than the number of pool players I know. pool is one hobby where everyone sees what you have.

Frank Ford
06-20-2019, 05:20 PM
"You're gonna leave that stuff with ME to get rid of"..........
what is a guy to do with his 'stuff'?

Easy.

Have a trusted friend or two on tap to advise when it comes time.

Make it worth their while - offer a commission of half or a third or whatever seems best for the parties involveed.

I have an old friend who added me into his will as such an advisor - I'll take care of selling the stuff I know well and have a third for my commission. That nets his wife a lot more than she'd get by calling the junkies.

dalee100
06-20-2019, 06:01 PM
Hi,

When I'm dead I ain't going to care what happens to my small CCC equipt shop. Not worth much now, ain't going as worth as much when I die.

There are large ticket items that will still be worth >$10,000. But those are obvious and will sell for their proper value, (think farm machinery). She is no fool and knows the values of these items.

But the shop, dig a hole and bury it for all it's worth..............

RB211
06-20-2019, 06:23 PM
Simple, introduce her to this forum.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

J Tiers
06-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Just remember the dealer will NEVER pay top dollar... He has to make money, and while the stuff sits in hus place, he gets no inerest on the money.

Talked to a guy at the Wellington steam show last year. he was getting out of anythin older than 15 years, and all tooling. Said he could make more money with his money in the bank, even these days. The prices they have to charge in order not to lose money are the reason I never go to dealers with intent to buy any specific thing.

As for that "these things go together"...... you can have fun doing that.......... BUT....... The estate sale folks will separate every little part, and sell the chuck key separate from the chuck, let alone bigger stuff. (seen it done) The outside jaws separate from whichever of the chucks they fit..... Even the tailstock separately priced from the lathe..... All the change gears separated, each with a nice price tag of 5 bucks or so,,,,,, There is no limit to the stupidity of estate sale folks when it comes to tools. They won;t get the prices, and it will all go to the "cleanout crew".

Dan Dubeau
06-20-2019, 07:14 PM
Have a big farm auction, and get rid of anything her or the kids don't want for whatever money somebody will give you. It was all bought at auction/second hand prices anyway, so I'm not too worried about any value loss. If some young guy gets the deal of a lifetime and gets a bunch of good stuff to start or add to his home shop, even better. Hopefully most of it will stay out of the scrap yard.

CCWKen
06-20-2019, 07:53 PM
Simple, introduce her to this forum.

That's sort of the line I was thinking. But more like take over where you leave off if she's good looking. :D

lakeside53
06-20-2019, 08:27 PM
That what I told my wife. Don't date the guy that wants all my stuff or it will just stay there.

lugnut
06-20-2019, 08:50 PM
After you're gone, you shouldn't care or have any say. I'm sure there are enough vultures around to dispose of your stuff. My wife knows enough about what the value of my stuff is, and only she and my kids will do the right thing.

panamaguy
06-20-2019, 09:45 PM
take photos ,print them on plain white paper .put them in a binder ,that way you can name each part ,also can explain which parts go together and the general value of said parts ,because the price of lots of our stuff does not change much , when all the big stuff is sold then if she wants she can give all the little stuff to someone or as she is selling the big stuff throw in a handfull of little stuff as a freebee

RB211
06-20-2019, 09:59 PM
That's sort of the line I was thinking. But more like take over where you leave off if she's good looking. :DMy friends are already lined up

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

J Tiers
06-20-2019, 11:13 PM
None of our friends have shops, so no possible help there. Most are in the category of people to whom I will only lend tools to if I come with the tool to operate it.....

There does not seem to be any HSM group here. I went to the one get-together I have heard of..... there were about 3 other people there, none were "club member types" and they were not interested in starting a group. Seemed like they wanted to be peripheral members of an established group.

My wife is pretty good with tools, I can send her to get a tool, and the right one appears with no fuss (her father is a diesel mechanic), but I'd not want to stick her with the task of clearing the shop even so.

danlb
06-21-2019, 01:15 AM
Sometimes it goes the other way. Mom married her current husband a couple years back. She's 87, hes 82.

My step dad has been a DIY guy, rebuilding a lot of antiques over the years. He's now in a nursing home for Alzheimer patients. Mom is moving to a smaller place, so his oldest daughter came by last week to "help clean out some heirlooms". She left with an SUV packed to the ceiling with all of his tools and equipment. Drill presses, welders, tools chests, etc. What did not fit in the SUV went into his utility trailer. She's keeping that too.

The good news is that mom does not have to worry about selling the stuff. The bad news is that selling it would have paid for another month or two of nursing care.

DickDastardly40
06-24-2019, 11:51 AM
My Father passed last year at 87 from a very sudden tracheal cancer problem which spread to his liver; prior to this I had thought he was going to outlast me.

He was a woodwork guy with a 24 x 12' shed at the end of the garden absolutely crammed with two of every sort of woodworking tool. The problem I found was when I came to clear it out from what I'd like to keep for myself that he couldn't throw anything away.

Projects to repair, unfinished or not started, scraps of nice timber that may come in handy, keys, torches, you name it.

I've found myself guilty of this so have started being ruthless in decluttering. If you do go earlier than expected those who come afterwards will thank you for it.

I think it is a good idea to have a list of your capital purchases (Lathe, mill, large tooling items and expensive measuring tools etc) with what you are prepared to admit to the wife that they cost new (or to you), their likely value on the second hand market. As well as this if you've promised anything to anyone put a note next to it and if you know the name of someone who you think might want to buy all or some of it.