PDA

View Full Version : Crimping without a crimper

PolskiFran
09-27-2004, 10:26 PM
I need to put a crimped edge (like the crimped edge on stove pipe) on some sheet metal, but I don't have crimping rolls. I'll be using 18ga. sheetmetal. Other than making a set of rolls, has anyone come up with another way of doing this?

Thanks,
Frank

G.A. Ewen
09-27-2004, 10:34 PM
I have a set of crimping pliers that you can borrow if you like. I have never tried them (got them at a yard sale) but I imagine that they will work for a one time job.

WJHartson
09-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Are you making both pieces or are you trying to match something that already exists. If you are making both pieces do you have to have a crimp? There are other ways to join and seal sheetmetal.

Joe

PeteM
09-27-2004, 10:56 PM
The crimping pliers kindly G.A. Ewen offered are what you want. Also fairly affordable to buy if you're doing much of this work.

ibewgypsie
09-28-2004, 08:21 AM
air Flange crimpers are as cheap as the pliers.

I got a piece of railroad iron on legs, I can use the edge to crimp w/a hammer and lots of time.

SGW
09-28-2004, 08:55 AM
If there's a woodstove shop in your vicinity, I wouldn't be surprised if they have some crimping pliers they would let you use if you showed up at their door with the piece of sheetmetal in question.

CCWKen
09-28-2004, 12:49 PM
18ga. is going to be tough to crimp with crimping pliers and hard to get even. As a matter of fact, 18ga. is over the limit of most hand driven Crimping machines.

Crimp "dies" are nothing but two gears. The metal is run between them. You'll need a heavy duty setup for 18ga. but it won't be that hard to make one.

The pic below shows a stove pipe crimper. The Ogee dies in front of the crimp gears are optional and can be removed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/Tools/Packham-BA2-c.jpg

JRouche
09-28-2004, 02:58 PM
18 Ga. is thick and no way you're gonna crimp with pliers. Rollers will be difficult unless it's a big unit. Might try a shrinker. You can buy the dies alone but still pricey. If it is a flat piece you can make a die set for you're hydraulic press. Make the set with serrations like a pair of step blocks for the mill. Make a holding fixture for the dies so they don't slide sideways. I have a 50 ton press that "molds" 16ga. in a similar fashion. Even then 50 tons seems abit "light". JRouche

JPR
09-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Is this a round or square object?

tattoomike68
09-28-2004, 06:00 PM
I have a crimper just like the pic CCWKen, looks like i need to round up sume stuff and have a sale.

PolskiFran
09-28-2004, 10:36 PM
I'm basicly trying to make a short section of heavy duty stove pipe and trying to shrink down the male end of the pipe. I forgot about the crimping pliers. They might do the job with a little added oomph. I'll have to keep a lookout at the local flea market. I might make a short section with the crimp spacing to weld onto a pair of old visegrips, or slip it into my small arbor press. Thanks to all for the tips, tricks and pics.

Frank