PDA

View Full Version : Photo Bucket Message

JoeLee
06-25-2019, 10:01 PM
I haven't checked into PB in quite a while. When I just did I got a message that said I'm over the limit for free picture hosting. 900 some odd pics, but only 12% of my free storage limit is used..... ????
It looks like they want me to sign up and pay a monthly fee.
So..... is there any way I can take all my pictures off of that site and move them somewhere else??

JL...............

Paul Alciatore
06-25-2019, 10:16 PM
When they first started their foolishness it was somewhat easy to copy one or more of the albums at a time. I copied much of what I had there back to my hard drive. Since those photos are already sized for display, it was easy to use those copies instead of the originals to upload to this BB's site. But then it got more difficult and I had to copy the photos one at a time. They play dirty. I an totally disgusted with their tactics and haven't been back there in a good while.

You can download/copy the photos and save them anywhere you want to. But, it may take some time if you still need to do it one at a time.

OK, I just tried to copy one from one of my PB albums. I found that when I tried to paste the copy into a folder on my hard drive it was a strange type of format, not a .jpg as was uploaded. They are playing even dirtier than before. I had to paste it into the Paint program and then save it back to the hard drive. It will take forever to copy any sizeable number of images that way. Curse you PB!

I find it hard to understand just how they are making any money with that site. I certainly would not pay them even a single penny.

Good luck.

PStechPaul
06-25-2019, 10:16 PM
Don't bother trying to download the files from PB. Just upload the image files you have saved locally on your computer and backup media. If your photos are only on PB, you might be SOL, but if you can see them, you can right-click on the image and select "Save As" and save each one to your Pictures folder or wherever you prefer. Once all your images are safely on local storage, you can choose another image/file hosting service as has been recommended many times. Good luck.

JoeLee
06-25-2019, 11:22 PM
I do have all the pictures stored on my old computer, I originally uploaded them off of that computer, but they're not as organized or grouped like I have them on Photobucket.
I started doing this when I first signed up to this forum. That was in 2009. I was looking for an easy way to just download the entire library maybe to my server, or just forget the whole thing as downloading 900 pictures individually is going to be really time-consuming. If I could do them in folders that would be a bit easier.

JL.....

PStechPaul
06-26-2019, 12:07 AM
If you can get FTP access to Photobucket, you might be able to do a bulk download of your entire user directory with the folders. I have my photos uploaded to a server where I can freely create folders and upload, download, and transfer as I please. I use the excellent free Filezilla FTP client, which makes the process very easy and fast. I can also upload videos, PDFs, and any other file type, with very little restriction on storage space or bandwidth. Also, I have my own domains so I can transfer my files to another host without losing the links in forums.

J Tiers
06-26-2019, 12:17 AM
If you have your pics locally, you can upload to Imgur and select the resolution/size you want..... all uploaded that session will be what you elect, unless you change the setting. That makes dealing with picture size nearly a non-issue.

I would also LEAVE the pics on PB.... While you CAN take them down (I think), you only succeed in breaking every thread that linked them, it will not hurt PB as much as it hurts you..... kinda cutting off your nose to spite your face.

JoeLee
06-26-2019, 07:59 AM
JT, what I really want to do is copy all of them in their respective folders somewhere else, even if it's another image hosting site. After that they can stay on PB, no need to really remove them.
I've gone back and looked at some of my older posts when I used PB exclusively and the pics are not there, just some logo thing.
Not signed up for any other image hosting site other than postimage.org where I went after PB started all their crap a year ago or so. postimage is pretty simple, no where near the confusion of PB.

JL............

Glug
06-26-2019, 09:01 AM
A number of solutions via google.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&pws=0&q=automatic+photobucket+download+&btnG=Google+Search

This plugin may work.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-album-downloa/jmpbbfglflhdhbmimlcacoojpkeopelc?hl=en

JoeLee
06-26-2019, 09:51 AM
A number of solutions via google.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&pws=0&q=automatic+photobucket+download+&btnG=Google+Search

This plugin may work.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-album-downloa/jmpbbfglflhdhbmimlcacoojpkeopelc?hl=en

Hey thanks,

The first one looks pretty confusing, a lot of steps to go through.

The FF add on looks easier. I'll have to check it out.

JL.................

JoeLee
06-26-2019, 10:09 AM
The second option didn't seem to work either as I can't get to the page with the menu on the right as shown in the link.

I guess at this point I can't do anything.

JL.............

J Tiers
06-26-2019, 10:36 AM
JT, what I really want to do is copy all of them in their respective folders somewhere else, even if it's another image hosting site. After that they can stay on PB, no need to really remove them.
I've gone back and looked at some of my older posts when I used PB exclusively and the pics are not there, just some logo thing.
Not signed up for any other image hosting site other than postimage.org where I went after PB started all their crap a year ago or so. postimage is pretty simple, no where near the confusion of PB.

JL............

Some of mine are OK, some have "the meter" just as they used to before PB came to their senses somewhat.

What I did was to take a screen image of each of the pages I had at PB. That way I had the organization documented. Dunno if that is still possible.

For the moment, Imgur is easy, not restrictive, and so forth. I'll use it unil and unless they get just as stupid. But somehow I think the PB fiasco has been educational to other "services". They won't try that soon.

They will have to figure out how to make money without big fees. After all, we provide them with content..... their half of the deal is to let us have the storage, since they don't pay us to use the content, and they make money off the content. And especially since we have to assign them perpetual free use of our copyrighted material as well.

Don't let anyone fool you into calling these services "free" to the users. They get theirs, and they use our freely provided content to do it. A good deal for them, and a wonder we allow it.

PStechPaul
06-26-2019, 03:06 PM
This BASH script looks like a fairly easy way to do what you want, but it is a bit tech-geeky :rolleyes:

https://techgirlkb.guru/2017/12/download-images-held-hostage-photobucket/

I also see that PB detects my adblocker and asks me to disable it before viewing images. For a few months I ran without an adblocker, until several sites became essentially unreadable because the ads and auto-run videos obscured much of the content.

old mart
06-28-2019, 03:04 PM
With the price of hard drives and USB drives being so low, why would anyone in their right mind ever rely on an outside agency to look after their data?

J Tiers
06-28-2019, 08:13 PM
With the price of hard drives and USB drives being so low, why would anyone in their right mind ever rely on an outside agency to look after their data?

Nobody with any sense DID, EVER.

The entire point of using PB, etc, is to have on-line access to the photos.

If you do not have copies locally on your own storage medium, then you must have a child-like trusting nature, and are overdue for a fall.

JoeLee
06-28-2019, 10:18 PM
This BASH script looks like a fairly easy way to do what you want, but it is a bit tech-geeky :rolleyes:

https://techgirlkb.guru/2017/12/download-images-held-hostage-photobucket/

I also see that PB detects my adblocker and asks me to disable it before viewing images. For a few months I ran without an adblocker, until several sites became essentially unreadable because the ads and auto-run videos obscured much of the content.OK, so looking at the script that you paste into your terminal window. It says CD, so I'm guessing that if this hack is successful all my PB pics will be burned to the CD ?? Can that be changed?? A desk top folder etc.?

JL.............

RichR
06-28-2019, 11:18 PM
OK, so looking at the script that you paste into your terminal window. It says CD, so I'm guessing that if this hack is successful all my PB pics will be burned to the CD ?? Can that be changed?? A desk top folder etc.?

JL.............

Your guess would be incorrect. That cd is a command that stands for change directory.

JoeLee
06-29-2019, 12:05 AM
Ok, that answers that.

So would I copy that whole thing and just paste it into the terminal window and hit enter ??
And if so where does it go to ?

JL.....

RichR
06-29-2019, 12:22 AM
I don't know how many of those commands are valid under Windows. At the very least you would need to install bash. You might want to look at
the github site that was linked to for more information:
https://gist.github.com/philipjewell/a9e1eae2d999a2529a08c15b06deb13d

PStechPaul
06-29-2019, 02:47 PM
I think the script I found is for Linux, although there may be a way to install equivalent commands for Windows, which typically uses a batch file for simple operations, and WScript or JScript for more complex stuff. I found some other possibilities:

https://www.winsite.com/download/download+photobucket/index3.html

https://gist.github.com/philipjewell/a9e1eae2d999a2529a08c15b06deb13d