PDA

View Full Version : Removing Flanges from motor armature shaft

skipd1
06-28-2019, 05:23 PM
I'm at a quandary as to how to remove these flanges from this motor shaft. I think they are pressed on but not sure. The shaft diameter on the inside of the flange is 0.67" and the outside is 0.625 so it appears the flanges would pull off over the threads. I don't want to damage this shaft or the flanges. My original plan would be to use a bearing puller and maybe apply some heat to the flange and hope for the best. I'm hoping someone with experience in this area can give me some advise.

https://oi1083.photobucket.com/albums/j391/skipd1/IMG_1174.jpg
https://oi1083.photobucket.com/albums/j391/skipd1/IMG_1169_1.jpg

lakeside53
06-28-2019, 05:43 PM
don't need heat. They will just pull off.

Mr Fixit
06-28-2019, 07:21 PM
Hey skipd1,

They should just pull off as Lakeside said. One thing that I would recommend is, put a nut on the treads to keep the spacer from damaging the treads after it comes loose. This will also allow you to chase the treads should a ding happen.
Just another way to do things.

Good luck.

TX
Mr fixit for the family
Chris :)

djc
06-29-2019, 02:05 AM
Do they rotate relative to the shaft? Or is there anything that by design prevents them from rotating? If not, put a wrap of bicycle inner tube around them and grip with stilsons. Once you get them rotating, then axial movement may be easier.

epicfail48
06-29-2019, 02:43 AM
Do they rotate relative to the shaft? Or is there anything that by design prevents them from rotating? If not, put a wrap of bicycle inner tube around them and grip with stilsons. Once you get them rotating, then axial movement may be easier.

Completely unrelated to the topic at hand, but up until 5 seconds ago i had no idea those had a proper name. Ive always just called them pip wrenches or monkey wrenches

lynnl
06-29-2019, 04:25 AM
Completely unrelated to the topic at hand, but up until 5 seconds ago i had no idea those had a proper name. Ive always just called them pip wrenches or monkey wrenches

I've known the name Stillson as far back as I can remember, but haven't heard it used for years. ...always just "pipe wrench" nowadays.
On a "monkey wrench" it's the lower jaw that moves.

mihit
06-29-2019, 04:26 AM
ve always just called them pip wrenches or monkey wrenches

..."plumber's hammer"

wierdscience
06-29-2019, 04:32 AM
KO Lee t&c grinder motor?If so those are shrink fitted on.They will pull,but not easily normally,be very careful you don't damage the shaft.

JoeLee
06-29-2019, 08:58 AM
They are a light press fit to the shaft. I took mine off when I rebuilt my motor. Safest way is to do it in a press if you have one.
I don't like using pullers because of claw marks and the risk of damaging the end of the shaft.

JL................

skipd1
06-29-2019, 09:15 AM
Thanks everyone for the great advice

skipd1

Peter.
06-29-2019, 10:17 AM

Stillson is (or was) a manufacturer of pipe wrenches. The tool has become known as a stillson - around these parts anyhow - much the same as a vacuum cleaner is known as a Hoover, after that manufacturer of vacuum cleaners.

lakeside53
06-29-2019, 11:33 AM
They are a light press fit to the shaft. I took mine off when I rebuilt my motor. Safest way is to do it in a press if you have one.
I don't like using pullers because of claw marks and the risk of damaging the end of the shaft.

JL................

You pull with a bearing separator or simple split plate (no marks) and the correct tip in the the shaft center. You won't damage anything if you use the correct methods.

Corbettprime
06-29-2019, 11:54 AM
Stillson and pipe wrenches are the same, stillson is a brand. Monkey wrench is a different animal, an early adjustible wrench for nuts and bolts.

JoeLee
06-29-2019, 03:45 PM
You pull with a bearing separator or simple split plate (no marks) and the correct tip in the the shaft center. You won't damage anything if you use the correct methods.

I understand that, but not everyone has those tools.

JL...