PDA

View Full Version : leblond question

Nicholas
09-25-2004, 09:27 PM
I had to partially disassemble the headstock on my 1943 13 inch leblond lathe to replace a couple feed gears. The front and rear spindle bearing cover flanges look like they were designed to hold a felt dust seal. Mine had no seal and the parts manual does not show any, but it doesn't show the way wiper felt either.Should there be a seal.
I probably should have asked here before I spent the forty dollars a foot for the f5 felt from msc.I only bought one foot.
Thanks
Nick

ibewgypsie
09-25-2004, 09:53 PM
I have a similar machine.

If you find a place to purchase a manual I'd like a copy, or the supplier..

thanks

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Nicholas
09-25-2004, 11:41 PM
ibewgypsie,
Check your email
nick

vinito
09-26-2004, 05:08 AM
Nick,
My parts drawing doesn't seem to show any kind of rubber or felt seal on the spindle. It just has an oil slinger flange. If you want I can scan the page & email it so you can look at it.

David and Nick,
I am in the process of scanning my whole manual and making a .pdf of it. I only have the first ten pages so far and there are about 90 total, but it's turning out pretty clean so far. It's the manual "Running a Regal" from 1951 and covers from 13" to 24" Regals. If you want to see what's done so far, I've uploaded it to the files section of the Leblond lathe Yahoo group page:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Leblondlathe/files/

The complete manual should be done & uploaded in the next couple weeks.

JCHannum
09-26-2004, 07:54 AM
Older motors and gear boxes often used a labyrinth oil seal. It was one or more grooves in the cover where a seal would be. If this is what you have, there will be a drain hole at the bottom to allow the oil to return to the gear box.

These were effective on lower speed equipment. Look for the return hole and make sure it is clear.

ibewgypsie
09-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Whilst you are running my leblond regal.

You get small drops of oil in your face, just like the old tin primary harley I used to ride. The oil made a one way trip out to the primary then onto the ground. This has been the cause of much heckling over the years. I put a belt drive, drilled/tapped the back for a breather, and plugged the primary hole. No more spotted face.

That is why bikers used to wear black, so the oil would not show.

I'd say, that is the reason I got my lathe so cheap. Mine is a L00 quick change so I have been told. Don't know for sure. I would like someday to purchase a 4jaw chuck.

My machine is silent while running. I will appreciate the opportunity to purchase any manual you guys can scan for me. I love the lathe and plan on keeping it. It is accurrate and solid. It is the one machine I have made tooling for, but have not reworked yet.. like the energizer bunny it keeps going and going.

SO, so far we have a manual going to pdf and a operation book? Thanks guys.. I will at least pay postage and cdrom cost. And appreciate it very much.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:

MikeHenry
09-26-2004, 11:40 AM
I've got an old (1931) LeBlond Regal manual that has been scanned into a PDF file. It's pretty basic, but email me if you'd like a copy. The file is about 1.8 MB.

Mike

vinito
09-26-2004, 03:26 PM
David,
I'll be uploading my manual to the Yahoo group page as it progresses. I'm not sure if it applies to a 1943 machine, but I don't think they changed too often. Just check the page on the above link occasionally and the complete manual will eventually be there for you to download. I added a couple more pages today.

I hope you can use it.

vinito
09-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Guys,
I have the first dozen pages and the last half of the manual done and uploaded to the Yahoo site (the last half is all the exploded parts drawings). The remainder will go slower since pages with photos require more attention, but I'll keep working on it.

I'm curious if the lathe in the manual (1951) is the same as the ones from the 40's.

J Tiers
09-27-2004, 12:00 PM
IBEW....you might be missing a "slinger" that should send the oil a different direction.

That sort of thing tends to become a "leftover" when the P.O. "fixes" something.

Slingers are usually just a disc that is on the shaft. Oil migrating along the shaft is intercepted and "slung off" by the larger diameter slinger into a groove with a drain to a sump.

ibewgypsie
09-27-2004, 12:20 PM
When something is working well, I don wanna mess with it.. I'll take a drop of oil with pride if my cuts come out square along the bed and what I want them to be.

I will fix it the first time I get into the gearbox.

Would be nice to get a drawing of what I have. I have figured out the "how" it works.

My machine works, makes me feel like a real machinist when it all turns out right.

My machine is Ugly, needs paint. But there again I hate to disturb it. (and I am not a beauty queen anyways myself) I feel at home with this machine.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 09-27-2004).]

vinito
09-28-2004, 03:16 PM
Just an update on the manual progress:

I have finished and uploaded pages 1-38 and 55-89 of the manual to the files section on the Yahoo page (above link). Progress is going faster than I thought, once I worked out a multitasking routine. I should be completing the project later tonight. Let me know if it was worth it.

vinito
09-28-2004, 03:52 PM

[This message has been edited by vinito (edited 09-29-2004).]

vinito
09-29-2004, 05:44 PM
Finished the manual. Let me know if you have any editing suggestions.

ibewgypsie
09-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Document Unavailable
The document you requested is temporarily unavailable because this group has exceeded its download limit. Please try again later.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:

vinito
09-30-2004, 01:29 AM
If you experience problems trying to download the manual, see:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum1/HTML/008167.html