PDA

View Full Version : OT - Hope Weirdscience can stay dry!

CCWKen
07-11-2019, 06:39 PM
Things are looking bad for our neighbors in Louisiana. TS Barry is bringing a lot of rain to an already wet area. And the Mississippi River is near flood stage from all the rain upstream. Keep them in your relevant thoughts.

JRouche
07-11-2019, 07:19 PM
Keep them in your relevant thoughts.

Stay Weird Dry, oops, stay Dry Weird. JR

darryl
07-11-2019, 08:02 PM
What's going on- it was 100 degrees in Alaska a few days ago-gonna be chilly in the sahara soon?

wierdscience
07-12-2019, 12:05 AM
Yep,this should be interesting.Really no way to predict what will happen with this one,looks right now to be a rain maker.

Luckily I'm about 160 ft above sea level,folks south of me are another story.

Doc Nickel
07-12-2019, 12:25 AM
What's going on- it was 100 degrees in Alaska a few days ago[...]

-Yeah, for maybe a day. :D

We had a nice warm spell there for a bit- which is nothing new, we get 'em every few years. I recall an editorial comic in the paper back in the early 90s, where they joked about starting to call Alaska "The Sunshine State" because of a near-100 degree hot streak.

Right now, it's about 55-58F.

Doc.

lynnl
07-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Several years ago one of my daughters was working at Eielson AFB near Fairbanks. We went up to visit her in early July. Just before the trip I came down with a cold/flue-like condition, so I was really looking forward to some nice cool weather. ...damned if it wasn't hotter than Alabama! Plus, of course, round-the-clock sunlight to make sleeping nearly impossible.

akajun
07-12-2019, 05:33 PM
Wierd science , where are u located? I’m in Baton Rouge. Will be working 12 hr shifts nightly no days off till this thing is over.

J Tiers
07-12-2019, 06:16 PM
Looks like it may be coming right up to see us in MO.... Last time, with Ike, we had 7" rain in a few hours, and the area below us was flooded.

wierdscience
07-14-2019, 12:10 AM
Wierd science , where are u located? Iím in Baton Rouge. Will be working 12 hr shifts nightly no days off till this thing is over.

Inland a bit on the Ms coast,north of Slidell.Get much wind over your way?Nothing here any worse than the typical Summer thunderstorm.

Paul Alciatore
07-14-2019, 12:49 AM
We're in Beaumont, TX, just across the border from Louisiana and on I10, near the coast. Thing here are relatively calm, just a bit of rain and wind. We even went out to church and dinner tonight.

We have relatives in the Baton Rouge and New Orleans area but things seem to be OK there too, at least so far. Even though the Mississippi was at flood stage before the storm, it seems the levies are holding. I hope and pray that continues.

JRouche
07-14-2019, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=wierdscience;1246800

Luckily I'm about 160 ft above sea level,folks south of me are another story.[/QUOTE]

Well you know the saying.

Go to your neighbors and make sure everyone is ok. Check every house, even if no one answers,.

Communities and towns form for a reason. To help each other. JR

akajun
07-15-2019, 09:52 AM
well it ended up being a big worry over nothing thank god. I ended up with a bunch of overtime from the storm but not much sleep. Only lost power for 3 hrs, by the time I woke up and got my generator started power came back on. Most any of my friends lost was a buddy had a tree take out his custom welded Aluminum boat.
LA got very lucky.

Paul Alciatore
07-15-2019, 03:53 PM
Yes, it looks like we all came out OK on this one. Thank God. I was really worried about the Mississippi being at such a high level. South La. could have easily flooded. Three cheers for the Corps of Engineers.

J Tiers
07-15-2019, 11:26 PM
We had an all day rain from it.... nothing special. The remainders are around Memphis, headed for Cairo and Paducah.

There will probably be a bit of a crest on the Mississippi from it, in a day or two. It's been right over the river.