PDA

View Full Version : OT - Amazon customer service

Bob Engelhardt
07-18-2019, 10:07 PM
I just bought a water softener from Amazon. Upon unpacking it I found that it was missing a piece if 1/4" tubing, 5' long. I started a Chat with Amazon to get that part. It went like this:
Me: I received the order, but a part is missing & I'd like to get that part.
Amazon: We can send you a replacement softener & you would have to send the 1st one back.
Me: No, that would be a major hassle, I just want the part.
A: We don't have the parts, how about we send you a replacement softener and you don't send the 1st one back? [I.e., they send me a free $600 softener]
Me: Never mind, I'll just get the part locally.
A: Well, let me see if I can get you a discount. Would 50% be OK? [$300 credit for a piece of tubing]
Me: It sure would, thanks.

Later I find the tube - it was inside the brine well, which you wouldn't open unless you had the tube to install. So, I started another Chat:
Me: I found the tube, so you can cancel the discount.
A: We are happy that you found the missing part and you don't need to worry. Please accept this discount as a good will from our end [!!]

I'm amazed that their customer service would have the latitude to be so generous.

lakeside53
07-18-2019, 10:13 PM
They are very good with upset customers (and I have benefited myself), but remember, they just stick any discount or consideration back the seller or supplier. Tough to be in business with Amazon

bborr01
07-18-2019, 10:58 PM
A couple of years ago I ordered a LED projector for my shipping container/mancave in Arizona. As soon as I hit buy now I was that it was set to ship to our house in Michigan so I messaged the seller immediately and explained that I needed the shipping to be to Arizona. They said they would take care of it.

It was supposed to have a tv tuner built in. When I got it I realized that the antenna connection was some odd ball compared to what we use in the USA. I ordered an adapter and hooked it up and the tuner still didn't work so I messaged them that I wanted to return it. They said it might be a bad unit and they would send me another one and that I should just keep the original one that they sent me. The tuner didn't work on the second one either but I decided to keep them at half price and just use a converter box that I had a couple of back home.

A couple of weeks later I had friend back in Michigan check on the house and he found a box in front of our locked garage. He said it looked like it had been there for months of Michigan winter. I had him cut it open and there was a perfect like new box with another projector in it. Evidently they didn't get it all cleared up on the shipping address so I ended up with three of them for the price of one. I don't know how they make any money doing that.

Brian

CCWKen
07-18-2019, 11:21 PM
I'm kind of liking Amazon now. I live in a rural setting and the house sits back about 1/4 mile from the road. It used to take a week to get anything sent via FedEx or UPS. Prime cut that down to about three days if it was sent by mail. Amazon has their own delivery trucks for this area now. I can order some things tonight and have it tomorrow. And this is seven days a week! Some items still take extra time (ground ship from vendors or items not at the regional center) but it's typically not more than two days.

The only problem with the new driver(s) is my package hasn't been delivered to the same place yet. Once just over the fence down front. Once on the front porch. and once on the back porch. At least they take a photo of where they placed it so I can usually find it.

MichaelP
07-19-2019, 01:14 AM
IMHO, Amazon is the best US company now. I only hope that buyers won't abuse the service it provides.

J Tiers
07-19-2019, 01:32 AM
I got some auto parts (taillight and front turn signal for 1989 Volvo. The parts were a fraction of the cost of OEM parts, and they looked good.

They were made in various odd places such as Estonia, and they almost fit correctly. Almost.

rather than deal with Amazon and the "we'll replace them" deal, I made them work. But I am not in a big hurry to try Amazon again. If I had let them replace the parts, the replacements would not have fit any better, and I needed to have the car pass the State safety check.

RB211
07-19-2019, 02:12 AM
They are very good with upset customers (and I have benefited myself), but remember, they just stick any discount or consideration back the seller or supplier. Tough to be in business with AmazonTough to be associated with Amazon in any way. Atlas pilots are paid less than half of what I make for doing the same exact job. The difference? Connie Kalitta told Bezos to F off, while Atlas management allowed Bezos to hold the option of owning 40% of the company. If you don't think Bezos has a negative influence on Atlas pilots getting a new contract, I got a B29 to sell to you.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

dave_r
07-19-2019, 02:21 AM
I've got some very good deals from Amazon US, but Amazon in Canada is relatively poor for product selection and is prone to having stupid high prices (like 4-10x the price for the exact same product on amazon.com).

Amazon just gave the O.P. a good deal by taking all that money out of the cash register of the seller, who likely still needed to pay amazon full commission for the "sale".

But as a seller/supplier for any of the big companies (Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, ebay, amazon, etc), you get to take it in the shorts, as otherwise they just drop you.

Wheels17
07-19-2019, 08:07 AM
On Prime Day, Amazon mistakenly listed a bunch of expensive photo equipment for $98.94, one of the items being a $13,000 lens. They seem to be honoring the sales....

https://boingboing.net/2019/07/18/amazon-accidentally-sold-a-13.html

RB211
07-19-2019, 08:57 AM
On Prime Day, Amazon mistakenly listed a bunch of expensive photo equipment for $98.94, one of the items being a $13,000 lens. They seem to be honoring the sales....

https://boingboing.net/2019/07/18/amazon-accidentally-sold-a-13.htmlNow that is a "You Suck" situation.

lakeside53
07-19-2019, 10:51 AM
Tough to be associated with Amazon in any way. Atlas pilots are paid less than half of what I make for doing the same exact job. The difference? Connie Kalitta told Bezos to F off, while Atlas management allowed Bezos to hold the option of owning 40% of the company. If you don't think Bezos has a negative influence on Atlas pilots getting a new contract, I got a B29 to sell to you.

Can I have the B29 anyhow?

Yes, they are big enough to carry a big stick. It's very addictive to get stuff same day or next (even if it is more expensive) and have it backed up by one company. Amazon is a zillion sellers - some selling crap, some good stuff and it's often hard to figure which is what. In essence, a non-bid ebay, but you don't really deal with the seller unless after the return period, and even then, Amazon will step in and assist if you don't get satisfaction. I have had over 125 deliveries already this year with few issues, and when that happened... instant refunds or new parts.

Amazon has become the nationwide equivalent of Walmart in a small town. Real question... When does their "power" become abusive or get federal curtailment?

Glug
07-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Amazon has become the nationwide equivalent of Walmart in a small town. Real question... When does their "power" become abusive or get federal curtailment?

Real question.. why isn't that being more seriously discussed about walmart? Walmart has been in that situation for a long while (plus the direct bullying of small towns who do not want them). Amazon is trying to catch up in sales. Walmart revenue is still over double Amazon.

For the past 20 years people have been saying walmart would crush Amazon like a bug. Walmart has said it many times, but now it seems they are lobbying to regulate their competitor. IBM has said it, even as they said they would copy Amazon's technology. They are still failing at that - walmart's website is garbage.

Who wants to go back to lousy local selection, extreme price gouging because "take it or leave it!", terrible return policies, etc? I don't.

RB211
07-19-2019, 02:34 PM
Malls are closing where I live, big box stores other than Walmart/Sam's Club/Costco are closing. I have Amazon prime, we constantly use Amazon for the same reasons all of you do. One thing Amazon isn't, is the cheapest on many items. However, getting the item sooner often enough is the reason to pay a little more.

Galaxie
07-19-2019, 02:54 PM
IMHO, Amazon is the best US company now.

I wouldn't want to work in one of their warehouses, though. Some are not air conditioned, some push the employees to the point they are afraid to take bathroom breaks for fear of falling behind and getting docked, and I think I heard a couple had employees die on the floor and forced the others to keep working while the paramedics were en route.

Illinoyance
07-19-2019, 04:40 PM
I ordere a cheap DRO from Amazon. Through my own stupidity I tore the cable out of one of scales. I wanted to order a replacement scale but Amazon's vendor was non responsive. I ordered a replacement scale from Banggood. Should have ordered the whole DRO from Banggood in the first place.

Mcgyver
07-19-2019, 05:39 PM
I'm amazed that their customer service would have the latitude to be so generous.

Their vendor gets a charge back for the full wholesale price and Amazon deducts it from their next payment. Easy to be generous when it doesn't cost them anything. Tough on the vendor but its the ultimate "customer is always right" model. I can image there is lots and lots of abuse from the unethical types, seems like all you need to do is tell them i'm not wasting my time sending it back, come and pick it up and they'll end up issuing a credit (did that once with a defective item).

jdedmon91
07-20-2019, 11:26 AM
I also use Amazon a lot and were prime members. First of all is free shipping and we have family on the other side of US so we can order gifts and holiday presents for them because purchasing them locally and shipping them is expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCWKen
07-20-2019, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't want to work in one of their warehouses, though. Some are not air conditioned, some push the employees to the point they are afraid to take bathroom breaks for fear of falling behind and getting docked, and I think I heard a couple had employees die on the floor and forced the others to keep working while the paramedics were en route.

Oh come on! You're just going throw that out there without factual support? You sound just like the drive-by media. :rolleyes:

Mcgyver
07-20-2019, 12:51 PM
a wharehouse that isn't air conditioned? No! Hey I know I'm in the north, but the humidex is 43C here, apparently this week hotter than Havana so its not like its cool in a warehouse. In this industrial market anyway (2nd largest in NA behind Chicago), I bet I've been in more warehouses and plants than any of you and it would be the rare exception to find ones that were air conditioned. As for keeping working, I'd want to see that verified. Seems caullous, and while its better than standing around, gawking, if they are extremely shaken up that in itself is a danger to keep working. A death or serious injury is my biggest fear and I pray a scenario I never have to figure out, off hand I'd say it would be so shocking that to keep working wouldn't safe and they'd be sent home.

Bob Engelhardt
07-20-2019, 01:53 PM
Oh come on! You're just going throw that out there without factual support? You sound just like the drive-by media. :rolleyes:

John Oliver had a shoe about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9m7d07k22A

CCWKen
07-20-2019, 04:51 PM
I don't know who John Oliver is but he appears to be some kind of comedian. Is that where you get your information? Sad, really sad. :rolleyes:

Bob Engelhardt
07-20-2019, 08:14 PM
I don't know who John Oliver is but he appears to be some kind of comedian. Is that where you get your information? Sad, really sad. :rolleyes:

You don't know who he is but you still feel entitled to judge me by him? Rather presumptuous. Especially because I didn't even say that I even watch him. More presumption. You might feel at home on YouTube - unfounded commentary is rarely questioned.

CCWKen
07-21-2019, 09:20 AM
Hey, wait a minute drive-by bully, you're the one that posted the YT link. Presumably as a source of fact to backup someone else's statement. :cool:

It's easy to see how you people get caught up in the circle of misinformation. :rolleyes:

Bob Engelhardt
07-21-2019, 10:19 AM
... Presumably as a source of fact to backup someone else's statement. :cool:

It's easy to see how you people get caught up in the circle of misinformation. :rolleyes:

There you go again with the presumptions. It's "misinformation"? Why do you say that?

nickel-city-fab
07-21-2019, 11:25 AM
There you go again with the presumptions. It's "misinformation"? Why do you say that?

Ya know, Bob, I just ignore him (among others). That said, I don't expect *any* form of customer service from Amazon or their suppliers -- thats not how they got rich. Of course, I avoid using them like the plague, in the same way that I avoid WalMart and Harbor Freight. They are lucky if I go there once a year.

Glug
07-21-2019, 12:48 PM
I don't expect *any* form of customer service from Amazon or their suppliers -- thats not how they got rich.

Odd, because their customer service is great. That is a widely held opinion. It isn't just the wide selection, quick deliver or price. It's the service.

The sad fact is many local suppliers had mediocre service because they figured they were "the only game in town!" They have been forced - some kicking and screaming - to make big changes to up their level of service. Some still struggle with that.

"Delight the customer" has always been one of the primary goals of Bezos. He knew from day one that "service" was *always* something they would need to do well. They excel at it.

RB211
07-21-2019, 10:06 PM
My belief to Amazon's success is the free-ish 2day shipping. I rarely have to return something and it's only hassle free if it came directly from Amazon.
Where I live, it's a 20+ min trip one way to drive to most stores and they have questionable stock or if they even have the part. Rather just order it from Amazon and have it in two days saving time and gas. The key to success is bringing convenience to people. People pay for convenience without second thought.

wierdscience
07-21-2019, 11:02 PM
I ordered some tires for my brother back around Christmas,he needed two new ones for the front,the rear tires were fine.Tires showed up in a couple days like always.Then the following day two more tires show up.
Well no big deal to send them back,its Amazon.Checked my card,no,they just charged me for the one pair.Contacted Amazon explained they had sent two more tires than we paid for,they told me to keep them as a good will gesture.That was about $400 worth IIRC.

The odd thing is when they send you the wrong stuff multiple times.I needed some 6202-5/8 bore bearings for a project and Amazon had them.Ordered a dozen and they sent regular 6202 bearings with the metric bore.Sent them back,made a detailed notation of the problem,They sent two more orders of 6202's which I also sent back,before they finally got me the right ones.

wierdscience
07-21-2019, 11:06 PM

That happens fairly often too.I went looking for a 3/4-10 x 6" spiral point tap.I found a listing for a Regal Beloit Cobalt Hss 3/4-10 spiral point tap for $9.95 with free shipping.Ordered it and sure enough,nice US made tap as advertised.

Galaxie
07-22-2019, 03:51 PM

Geez, calm down...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ct-met-amazon-worker-death-lawsuit-20190125-story.html
https://www.newsweek.com/amazon-drivers-warehouse-conditions-workers-complains-jeff-bezos-bernie-1118849
https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/16/20696154/amazon-prime-day-2019-strike-warehouse-workers-inhumane-conditions-the-rate-productivity
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/apr/02/revealed-amazon-employees-suffer-after-workplace-injuries
http://money.com/money/5303482/amazon-minnesota-workplace/
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7xm4dy/ambulances-were-called-to-amazon-warehouses-600-times-in-three-years

The majority of the stories regarding un-airconditioned warehouses were from 2011-2012. Supposedly, Amazon has since improved conditions.

https://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/inside-amazons-very-hot-warehouse/

wmgeorge
07-22-2019, 04:18 PM
My belief to Amazon's success is the free-ish 2day shipping. I rarely have to return something and it's only hassle free if it came directly from Amazon.
Where I live, it's a 20+ min trip one way to drive to most stores and they have questionable stock or if they even have the part. Rather just order it from Amazon and have it in two days saving time and gas. The key to success is bringing convenience to people. People pay for convenience without second thought.

Local folks, most... not all do not care if you came in the store or not. They do not stock, and in this part of the Midwest if one vender does not have , 99% the rest will not either. So why waste your time and gas..... just get it from Amazon.

Ridgerunner
07-22-2019, 04:52 PM

I belong to another forum where one of the members found a super deal on a mistake like that. He ordered one and it was shipped so he knew it was legit. He posted up the information and link and many people ordered too. That must have alerted Amazon and not only did they not place the new orders, they stopped the shipment to the original buyer.