PDA

View Full Version : Record (vice) request

Excellent
07-19-2019, 08:25 AM
If anyone has a No5 Record vice (vise) I'd very much like these measurements if possible please :)

https://i.imgur.com/wavs2n8.png

- Distance between hole centres for jaw plates
- Vertical distance of hole centres from bottom of jaw plate

Thanks

Junkmeister
07-19-2019, 08:59 AM
69mm and 11mm as close as i can measure without taking the jaws out. These measurements are oddball if tried in inches. The jaws have been replaced in mine by my son with shop made jaws. Larry.

Excellent
07-19-2019, 04:56 PM
Thanks very much Larry

Peter S
07-21-2019, 08:50 PM
I have a new but un-used Record No 5 from c.1990, so removed a jaw and measured it.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5680&d=1563756581

07-21-2019, 09:12 PM
Junkmeister are you trying to measure of the middles of the bolts ?

Not long after I got into machining, my buddy showed me a trick to measure center to center, I apologize if you already know this. He simply measured from same point on first hole to same point on second hole.
Example. Two bolt holes, measure from say 3 clock position of first hole to 3 o'clock on the second.
Where you measure from does not matter as long as it is same on both holes.
Of course it only works on holes that are the same diameter.

Hope that helps someone out.,

redgrouse
07-22-2019, 04:34 AM
Peter S is spot on with the dimensions, I just measured mine c1975 there is one point the thread is 5/16 Whitworth
John

old mart
07-22-2019, 08:24 AM
I made some new jaws for a different Record vise and the screws turned out to be 5/16 BSC.

Junkmeister
07-22-2019, 10:02 AM
Like I said in my reply I didn't take a jaw out for careful measurement. I took a wild guess at the dimensions. I guessed first at 2-11/16" but thought that a rather odd measurement so I thought maybe it's metric. I'm familiar with how to correctly measure but I had no idea why the original poster wanted these measurements so I tried to get close without removing the jaws.

Cuttings
07-22-2019, 02:25 PM
Keep in mind that Record is another one of those companies that has been bought out and I believe they are now made in China. The original Record vises came from Britain.
So a newer vise may have different dimensions than one of the originals.

redgrouse
07-25-2019, 04:17 AM
Keep in mind that Record is another one of those companies that has been bought out and I believe they are now made in China. The original Record vises came from Britain.
So a newer vise may have different dimensions than one of the originals.

This is true and the replacement jaws available now do not fit the original British made vices, however the ones sold now seem to be made to a standard rarther than a price ! I.e. the quality is good .
John

Excellent
07-26-2019, 08:46 PM
I have a new but un-used Record No 5 from c.1990, so removed a jaw and measured it.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5680&d=1563756581

Wow Peter thanks very much that's very much appreciated.

This is true and the replacement jaws available now do not fit the original British made vices, however the ones sold now seem to be made to a standard rarther than a price ! I.e. the quality is good .
John

This may scupper my plans unfortunately. I had in mind plans to build a small-ish bench vice and thought perhaps the option of hardened serrated jaws available off the shelf made it a good bet to use those which come in very reasonably at something like 35 for a pair. It looks like I might have to order and see what these newer Irwin jaw plates measure up to.

Peter S is spot on with the dimensions, I just measured mine c1975 there is one point the thread is 5/16 Whitworth
John

'Tis, aye. All the mechanics/fitters/engineers type Record vices I've had have been reliably BSW for screws. Since I'm building a different vice to fit these I'll likely use whichever 5/16" or 8mm thread I find the tapping drill size for first*.

*Note to self; index small drill bits

Side note: I'd like to buy a 100 degree countersink/chamfering tool that is reasonable but doesn't cost mucho dinero.

Excellent
07-27-2019, 09:36 AM
Junkmeister are you trying to measure of the middles of the bolts ?

Not long after I got into machining, my buddy showed me a trick to measure center to center, I apologize if you already know this. He simply measured from same point on first hole to same point on second hole.
Example. Two bolt holes, measure from say 3 clock position of first hole to 3 o'clock on the second.
Where you measure from does not matter as long as it is same on both holes.
Of course it only works on holes that are the same diameter.

Hope that helps someone out.,

It's a good approach, and when you know you've got parallel holes, you can drop some appropriately sized pins in (dowel or gauge depending on what's handy) and then measure across those if it makes getting your calipers/mic/rule/whatever on there any easier.

panchula
07-27-2019, 10:10 AM
Digital caliper trick for measuring center to center distance: Measure bolt diameter, zero your caliper. Thread bolts part way into both holes, measure outside bolt to bolt distance. There's the center to center. Math free and quick.

RichR
07-28-2019, 10:43 AM
Digital caliper trick for measuring center to center distance: Measure bolt diameter, zero your caliper. Thread bolts part way into both holes, measure outside bolt to bolt distance. There's the center to center. Math free and quick.

Measure the hole diameter, zero your caliper. Measure the distance between the holes directly. Works only with holes of the same size.