PDA

View Full Version : No time for tire kickers

RB211
07-19-2019, 03:13 PM
To make room in the garage, trying to sell my like new 1 ton HF engine hoist for $50. It is obsolete since having the gantry crane. Local idiot wants to offer $30, told my wife to raise the price to $100 just for that individual.
This is why I rather give away stuff to good people.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

tomato coupe
07-19-2019, 04:19 PM
To make room in the garage, trying to sell my like new 1 ton HF engine hoist for $50. It is obsolete since having the gantry crane. Local idiot wants to offer $30, told my wife to raise the price to $100 just for that individual.
This is why I rather give away stuff to good people.

Do you always offer what a seller is asking?

RB211
07-19-2019, 04:36 PM
If it's a good price, yes. There's another name for tire kickers, "Choosy Beggar's", especially where I live. If I don't like the price, I don't even bother to make an offer. I am disenfranchised from this back and fourth game crap.

CalM
07-19-2019, 05:09 PM
I just respond that if I thought $30 was a fair price, that's what I would have asked for.

Surprising how some people take offence. I figure they are in the Buy & Sell game and want that $20 and not the engine hoist.

J Tiers
07-19-2019, 05:31 PM
Do you always offer what a seller is asking?

There is no need to be insulting when offering. This is not a middle east or east european market. The $30 is not quite insulting, but it is close for something that is obviously "worth" (whatever that means) the $50. A russian immigrant would wave it in one hand and $5 in the other and say "I buy, here is money".... but those you expect. It's a cultural difference, we don't bargain in that style, they do. (yes, I do have experience with that).

Sold a blacksmith vise, a nice one. Had a guy call me and he didn't even "make an offer", really, what he said was "I pay $25 for those". I was asking $100. I basically said "good luck with that", and he said he'd call back because I'f never sell it for the asking and I'd have to take his $25...

next day I sold it for the asking price, and the buyer was happy as a clam in mud to get it for that.

the turkey-face actually never did call back, he must have taken the hint when I pulled the ad as the buyer was driving away.

Mcgyver
07-19-2019, 06:00 PM

I do that all the time, its a bit amusing and often leads to getting the full ask. Something for sale for say $100. Clown offers "$70. I respond price is $110. "What, I thought it was $100". "$10 aggravation fee". I just don't have time for someone who wants grind for $10....wtf...better things to do.

I now put in the ad "Offers in person only" and I don't bother responding to online offers (as if 98% even read the ad, different story) Why? Because the online offer is BS. You make an offer to me and I accept, we've got a deal, It should like a virtual handshake....but that's hardly the case when the offeror is 100% anonymous (and there's about a 10% chance of him showing up). Online offers are little more than a request to lower the asking price, pi$$ on 'em I say. (just came in from grinding with flood coolant in this heat so I'm feeling gritty and mean lol)

There is no need to be insulting when offering.

another thing I don't get, this thing of offers being insulting. What's insulting about it? its just stuff, not like I've been told you're ugly and your mother wears army boots ( at least the army boot part isn't true, afaik). What it is is flakes wasting my time, but there is nothing insulting about it. If I make offer, and someone claims to be insulted, that's testimony to their mental prowess, not my offer....the offer's a statement of what its worth to me, not their mothers footwear

07-19-2019, 06:15 PM
Now when I hear what will you take..I say we can end this conversation right here..
I will not even hear I mean take offers from someone that has not seen the item.

Corbettprime
07-19-2019, 06:25 PM
My philosophy is a little different. If I'm at a yard sale and I get the impression they're trying to raise grocery or rent money, I'll pay what they are asking, and if I think they are too low, even more. BUT if I get the impression it's a divorce, or the kids are getting rid of Grandpa's old "junk", I'm in full haggle mode, because I know the old man or Gramps isn't getting a penny of it.

A.K. Boomer
07-19-2019, 06:28 PM
Obvious really good deals are just that - there's no need to try and "blow the deal" by trying to get it any cheaper and also insult the seller, but I do try with stuff that "cant be tested" or is just a fair price or whatever,

also - both buying and selling is a very detailed act and there's lots of subtle hints and hidden language to pick up on, sometimes maybe I have tried to get a good deal even better like if the seller adds something like "you know what iv been trying to sell this thing for two weeks now so any reasonable offer will be considered"

but still - I would feel "sheepish" if I absolutely knew something was solid and worth way way more and to yet still try to get it cheaper, sometimes you just reach into that pocket and "slap leather" and pay the man what he wants regardless of the hints as you know he will be very happy and so will you...

nickel-city-fab
07-19-2019, 06:32 PM
You too? I never haggle. If I don't have the cash in my pocket then I don't buy ... Same when I sell something. I was trying to sell a vehicle a while back, some yahoo offered half. Told them that is not what the sign says. I give more stuff away than anything, usually hand tools to my coworkers. Life's too short for hagglers... I was getting groceries the other day, and some elderly woman was trying to haggle the cashier. This is in a regional chain store, not some mom n pop. Drove me up the wall...

mattthemuppet
07-19-2019, 06:54 PM
bloody hell, $50? That's a bargain! I'd sprain my elbow getting my wallet out so fast.

CL/ Facebook marketplace are full of flakes, it's just part of the "sell your stuff for free" deal.

J Tiers
07-19-2019, 07:25 PM
"insulting"?

There is no obligation for you to BE "insulted". But offering 25% of a reasonable asking price is pretty much INTENDED to be insulting in western culture. It says "that POS ain't worth nuthin, and I'm doing you a favor to even pay for it". It's "I bet you don't know any better and will sell it cheap". That does not mean you have to be huffy and get all bent out of shape.

But it's not a compliment.... Like the guy who looked at the SB 9" my FIL was selling, and said "I'll take it off your hands for $100". (I later sold it for $800 and the buyer was quite happy. So was my FIL) It's a waste of time, and yes, it is insulting to waste my time telling me that what I am selling ain't worth s**t when I know better.

bloody hell, $50? That's a bargain! I'd sprain my elbow getting my wallet out so fast.

CL/ Facebook marketplace are full of flakes, it's just part of the "sell your stuff for free" deal.

Well, maybe not.... the thing lists for $59 https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-chain-hoist-996.html So it is not a screamong deal, but it IS cheaper than new.

alanganes
07-19-2019, 07:48 PM
I almost always just pay asking price if it's anywhere close to what I feel the thing is worth to me. On a few occasions, I've paid more than asking price because the seller was cheating themselves without knowing it, and I've likewise sold stuff for less that I was offered because I got the sense that the buyer was in a tough spot financially. I have had the same done for me on occasion.

I hate bickering over stuff, it just seems a waste of time, usually over a small amount of dollars. On the other hand, if there is something posted I feel is priced too high that I am interested in paying, I will usually just say something like:

"I know what you are asking is probably fair, but $XX is all I have to spend right now. I understand if you can;t accept that and don't mean to be insulting. If you decide later that you'd maybe be willing to take that, please let me know. Thanks."

On more than one occasion I've had folks come back later and do the deal, one of then sending me a follow up email saying "You are the most polite person I've ever dealt with on CL."

Like most things, do unto other, etc.

Most of the time these days, I just give stuff away. It's so much easier.

alanganes
07-19-2019, 07:49 PM
Well, maybe not.... the thing lists for $59 https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-chain-hoist-996.html So it is not a screamong deal, but it IS cheaper than new.

Unless by HF "engine hoist" RB means one of these, whick is what comes to my mind when I hear engine hoist:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-61858.html

in which case 50 bucks in a pretty decent deal and 30 is pretty lowball, in context.

Tom S
07-19-2019, 07:55 PM
I don’t mind a bit of haggling, I’m guilty as the next guy of trying to get a deal. But if someone comes in to low I just walk away. What really grinds my gears is when I post something for sale and some mouth breather messages me asking what my lowest price is. Ticks me right off - I put what I feel is a fair price in the ad, if you think I’m high please counter offer. I’ll have to try the raising the price trick the next time I get that response.

PStechPaul
07-19-2019, 08:10 PM
I've (almost) always considered haggling as part of the fun of buying stuff at yard sales and flea markets. Most of the time, the item is probably something that I might like, or may be useful, but not really needed, so I might make an offer of 2/3 to 3/4 of asking price. And usually the seller will meet me halfway, especially if it's late in the day or it hasn't sold for a while. And when selling something, I usually price it about 10-20% higher than what I really think I can get, and I expect a counter-offer, which I'll usually accept unless it's way too low.

When I bought my 1998 Saturn SL1, I wrote a check for the asking price of $3500 or so, to the seller's son, and drove it home. A few days later I got a letter from the seller with a check for $100, saying he didn't expect to get full price.

My present car, a 2009 Honda Fit, was advertised for $3800, which was a reasonable price, but the car did have 175,000 miles on it and much of the paint sealer had flaked off. So I offered $3500, and the seller countered with $3600, which I accepted.

Last summer, I had some tree work done, and I had two estimates for about $2500 and one for $1500. To be fair, the lowball guy might not have had full insurance and licenses, and (as I requested) he left the slash for me to cut up and dispose of. I was pleased with the work, so I gave him an extra $100.

I had about 15 pair of jeans, slacks, and shorts, which were too small for me, and I tried to donate them to the Salvation Army. But some of them were a little dusty from years of storage, and they refused to take them. I put the lot up for sale on CL and Facebook Marketplace, and got one response from a guy in the city who said he would only offer $5 and I think he also wanted to meet me somewhere near a bus stop. He eventually got back to me and offered $10 but by then I had given them to Goodwill.

J Tiers
07-19-2019, 08:17 PM
Yes.... haggling is fine. The "I offer you a quarter of what I think it is worth, and hope you are stupid enough to take it" approach is not "our" style of haggling. It implies no respect, for the seller or for the item.

I maybe tell them "well since you think there is something wrong with it, I can't sell it to you, I only sell good working stuff". I HAVE also raised the price, and then sold it to someone else for a midway price while the guy wa still standing there, but that was a russian who offered a tenth of rock bottom for it.

Unless by HF "engine hoist" RB means one of these, whick is what comes to my mind when I hear engine hoist:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-61858.html

in which case 50 bucks in a pretty decent deal and 30 is pretty lowball, in context.

OK... I read it as "chain hoist", but he does say "engine" hoist.... So, then yes it is a very good deal if not bent..... which it would not be.

Ringo
07-19-2019, 08:21 PM
I generally ask a bit higher to start with, to allow room for the haggle price.
That way, the expected haggling ends up where I wanted to be in the first place.

RB211
07-19-2019, 08:38 PM
"insulting"?

There is no obligation for you to BE "insulted". But offering 25% of a reasonable asking price is pretty much INTENDED to be insulting in western culture. It says "that POS ain't worth nuthin, and I'm doing you a favor to even pay for it". It's "I bet you don't know any better and will sell it cheap". That does not mean you have to be huffy and get all bent out of shape.

But it's not a compliment.... Like the guy who looked at the SB 9" my FIL was selling, and said "I'll take it off your hands for $100". (I later sold it for $800 and the buyer was quite happy. So was my FIL) It's a waste of time, and yes, it is insulting to waste my time telling me that what I am selling ain't worth s**t when I know better.

Well, maybe not.... the thing lists for $59 https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-chain-hoist-996.html So it is not a screamong deal, but it IS cheaper than new. The folding engine hoist.

A.K. Boomer
07-19-2019, 09:47 PM
Wow that chain hoist is the exact same one I got and iv had it for many years now and from what I see the price has only gone up 10 bucks, talk about a bargain,,,

with a few HF things I feel like maybe I should show up at their store sometime and kick them some extra bucks - it's a nice thought but -------- Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh lol

good to see ( try as he might ) that the current stooge has not driven everything up in price --- point being avocados hitting a record high of 2.50 a copy at my local grocery store...

Mcgyver
07-19-2019, 09:54 PM
What really grinds my gears is when I post something for sale and some mouth breather messages me asking what my lowest price is. Ticks me right off.

agreed, someone clueless on the decorum of negotiating. You've already positioned on price, rude to be asked to move with them positioning themselves. That is a bit insulting in that it implies that perhaps you just aren't bright enough so might play along.

the other one that irks is the "Serious inquiries only" or "no lowball offers" when there's no asking price. Well if you want serious buyers be a serious seller put a price it! Or to the query "what are you asking", Response "open to offers". I feel like saying can you bring it by this afternoon and I'll have a look? Like its reasonable for them expect me to waste time and gas going to see it without any clue of the price expectation. The BS and morons us cheap skates put up with to avoid paying retail :)

Mcgyver
07-19-2019, 09:57 PM
The folding engine hoist.

Harbour Freight hoisting equipment....The slogan should we stand behind our lifts, but never under them. :)

tomato coupe
07-19-2019, 10:14 PM
I don't get, this thing of offers being insulting. What's insulting about it? its just stuff, not like I've been told you're ugly and your mother wears army boots

Exactly. How in the world is a lower offer insulting? If you don't want to sell an item for a lower price, all you have to say is "No, thank you, my price is $XX." Most of the times I've rejected a lowball offer, the potential buyer then gave me what I was asking.

RB211
07-19-2019, 10:26 PM
Exactly. How in the world is a lower offer insulting? If you don't want to sell an item for a lower price, all you have to say is "No, thank you, my price is $XX." Most of the times I've rejected a lowball offer, the potential buyer then gave me what I was asking.Insulting? No, annoying to the point I don't want to deal with it? Yes.

Erich
07-19-2019, 10:56 PM
I've been selling a few things on FB marketplace and craigslist. Almost have the initial contacts say will you take 50%. All answers are always NO. Come look at the item and make me an offer then. So far when I get a live body on site and looking at the item, I get 80% or better of asking.
I'm not insulted by the low ballers but I've got no time for them.

J Tiers
07-20-2019, 12:58 AM
Exactly. How in the world is a lower offer insulting? If you don't want to sell an item for a lower price, all you have to say is "No, thank you, my price is $XX." Most of the times I've rejected a lowball offer, the potential buyer then gave me what I was asking.

If you do not understand the concept, then there may be no way to explain it to you. And there really is no "problem" with you not being able to understand.

However, I will say that one need not "feel insulted" simply because an offer is "insultingly low". it is really a reflection on the person making the offer. They are so self absorbed that they are offering based on their own wishes, and paying no attention to the actual object they wish to buy. Or so ignorant that they know no better.

As you say, one simply declines the offer. But it is sometimes interesting how "socially tone deaf" a person is, when they make a ridiculously low offer. One would suppose they might "get a clue" that if a person sets a price, that they are not interested in an offer far below that, or they would have set their price lower to begin with.

just as one simply declines a low offer, one "declines" a far-too-high price by never even calling, or by thanking the person and leaving if the price is quoted on the spot. It's a very rare person who accepts 1/10 the asking, for instance, so one does not generally bother to make the offer to such "dreamers".

Tundra Twin Track
07-20-2019, 01:19 AM
Have a freind who bought a Zimmerman 24" Disc Grinder from a elderly German Pattern Maker,he offered him a little less than asking price and the fellow was quite insulted.He politely paid the asking price as it was prestine,I picked the machine up for my freind and this Pattern Maker was very talented guy.I purchased a few Items for what he was asking,all his stuff was high end tools and machines.

tomato coupe
07-20-2019, 01:22 AM
How in the world is a lower offer insulting?

I will say that one need not "feel insulted" simply because an offer is "insultingly low".

Then we agree. One should not be insulted by a low offer.

Black Forest
07-20-2019, 01:23 AM
If I am selling something I always either write or say I will only negotiate up in price. Or say or write the price is firm and nonnegotiable. Having been in the horse business most of my life I have heard it all. Having lived in South Florida I also was exposed to Jewish clients that absolutely haggled on everything. It was irritating sometimes but I think it is against the Jewish religion to pay the asking price!

RB211
07-20-2019, 01:26 AM
I like a good deal as much as anyone, but the way I acquired the 10EE and K.O. Lee is the only way to realistically do it, and have luck on your side.

DennisCA
07-20-2019, 02:10 AM
I have had stuff I didn't sell because the buyer pissed me off with an insultingly low offer.

The Metal Butcher
07-20-2019, 02:15 AM
I do that all the time, its a bit amusing and often leads to getting the full ask. Something for sale for say $100. Clown offers "$70. I respond price is $110. "What, I thought it was $100". "$10 aggravation fee". I just don't have time for someone who wants grind for $10....wtf...better things to do.

I now put in the ad "Offers in person only" and I don't bother responding to online offers (as if 98% even read the ad, different story) Why? Because the online offer is BS. You make an offer to me and I accept, we've got a deal, It should like a virtual handshake....but that's hardly the case when the offeror is 100% anonymous (and there's about a 10% chance of him showing up). Online offers are little more than a request to lower the asking price, pi$$ on 'em I say. (just came in from grinding with flood coolant in this heat so I'm feeling gritty and mean lol)

another thing I don't get, this thing of offers being insulting. What's insulting about it? its just stuff, not like I've been told you're ugly and your mother wears army boots ( at least the army boot part isn't true, afaik). What it is is flakes wasting my time, but there is nothing insulting about it. If I make offer, and someone claims to be insulted, that's testimony to their mental prowess, not my offer....the offer's a statement of what its worth to me, not their mothers footwear

"insulting"?

IDK. Different way of life I guess. I haggle on most everything unless it's already a really good deal and I'd feel bad going lower. Say on that chain hoist, I'd absolutely offer $30 or less. But for a folding hoist in nice shape, I'd take it for the $50. Haggling is fun to me, I'll even haggle with my friends over little stuff. It's kind of just what we do down here. And it can save you some serious money on big purchases.

nickel-city-fab
07-20-2019, 02:53 AM
What really bugs me is when I'm selling and some numb nuts says "It's not worth that much" when I'm already taking a loss... I always say "That's what it's worth to me, and that's what it's selling for."

As a buyer, I normally use the "Buy it now" option on eBay, rather than get outbid by $100 on a used Nicholson file (it happened once...). For machinery, I go places like HGR industrial surplus and inspect in person... Basically they start their prices at scrap weight.

JRouche
07-20-2019, 03:08 AM
Wow, you guys got all hip deep with this one. Hope you have yer waders on. JR

thaiguzzi
07-20-2019, 05:36 AM
There is no need to be insulting when offering. This is not a middle east or east european market. The $30 is not quite insulting, but it is close for something that is obviously "worth" (whatever that means) the $50. A russian immigrant would wave it in one hand and $5 in the other and say "I buy, here is money".... but those you expect. It's a cultural difference, we don't bargain in that style, they do. (yes, I do have experience with that).

Sold a blacksmith vise, a nice one. Had a guy call me and he didn't even "make an offer", really, what he said was "I pay $25 for those". I was asking $100. I basically said "good luck with that", and he said he'd call back because I'f never sell it for the asking and I'd have to take his $25...

next day I sold it for the asking price, and the buyer was happy as a clam in mud to get it for that.

the turkey-face actually never did call back, he must have taken the hint when I pulled the ad as the buyer was driving away.

"This is not a middle east or east european market."

Jerry generalizing and patronizing again.
When was the last time you had a haggle in an Istanbul or Tehran Soukh?

lynnl
07-20-2019, 07:31 AM
So what've we learned here? Mainly that we all have different ideas about sales etiquette.

I think if you're firm on your selling price, then include that information up front. Otherwise don't complain or get all pouty about being "insulted." Similarly, as a buyer, how on earth can one be so obtuse as to not think it insulting to open a negotiation with "...what's the least you'll take for it..." (Though a question or comment like that can only reflect a high level of ignorance, and should maybe be viewed with sympathy. :D )

nickel-city-fab
07-20-2019, 08:49 AM
So what've we learned here? Mainly that we all have different ideas about sales etiquette.

I think if you're firm on your selling price, then include that information up front. Otherwise don't complain or get all pouty about being "insulted." Similarly, as a buyer, how on earth can one be so obtuse as to not think it insulting to open a negotiation with "...what's the least you'll take for it..." (Though a question or comment like that can only reflect a high level of ignorance, and should maybe be viewed with sympathy. :D )

The ad did NOT say "or best offer".

J Tiers
07-20-2019, 09:19 AM
My experience is that saying "price is firm" actually gets MORE of the "will you take $XXX?" responses. I say "Sure, if you want to give me $XXX for free I'll take it. But I won't sell you the item for that"

Thaiguzzi.... you seem to be one to see an insult in everything, racism in everything. You've done it several times now. We have all sorts of cultural backgrounds where I live, and there is just a difference in the haggling approach that I see as a seller. What is normal to folks from russia, for instance, is not normal haggling in general here. Offering very low as a counter is normal to some. Here, offers of anything under half the asking is just not going to get anywhere, they are a signal that the person thinks the asking is stupidly high. it's a cultural thing, and I have no idea why you have this "colonial chip on your shoulder" about so many things.

There have already been overtly racist comments by others, and you were silent about those.

You can take your "race card" and "patronizing" idea and stuff it, you go back on the ignore list.

Then we agree. One should not be insulted by a low offer.

We probably don't even agree that water is wet.... but neither of us is interested in getting bent out of shape about stupid people. that does not change the "insultingness" of an insultingly low offer, it just affects our reaction to such an offer.

"Should not"? Value judgement..... Not your call, not mine. Anyone is free to do what they want. Those choices may make life a little more bumpy than it has to be, of course.

RB211
07-20-2019, 10:24 AM
"This is not a middle east or east european market."

Jerry generalizing and patronizing again.
When was the last time you had a haggle in an Istanbul or Tehran Soukh?That is a cultural thing that is expected. Throw in India and the Ladies Market in Hong Kong. At one point in my life, I was out of Aviation and was driving around the bay area looking for a flight school to instruct at. Wasn't my first rodeo when I walked into one school and noticed it was an Indian running it. I immediately walked back out. Racist? Some would say yes, but after training many Indian students and learning how their culture operates in business, the last thing I was going to do is let one be my employer.

Corbettprime
07-20-2019, 12:05 PM
That is a cultural thing that is expected. Throw in India and the Ladies Market in Hong Kong. At one point in my life, I was out of Aviation and was driving around the bay area looking for a flight school to instruct at. Wasn't my first rodeo when I walked into one school and noticed it was an Indian running it. I immediately walked back out. Racist? Some would say yes, but after training many Indian students and learning how their culture operates in business, the last thing I was going to do is let one be my employer.

You may not have a choice in who you hire, but you do in who you work for.

RB211
07-20-2019, 12:29 PM
Wife sold it for 50.

QSIMDO
07-20-2019, 02:30 PM
It's a very simple and non-insulting approach to call on the ad and leave it up to the seller.
I'll call and explain " I'm interested enough to come out and take a serious look but I'm going to leave that up to you. At this time I'm unable to meet your price. I can get to $XYZ.00. So as not to waste your time I leave it up to you whether or not I come with cash to take a look."

If it's something that's been available for a few weeks or the guy needs to unload, chances are good.
If the price is firm, OK but even then you can ask "if I see it's still available in a couple of weeks should I call back?"
Unless they have a really low threshold of pain you haven't pissed anyone off.

old mart
07-20-2019, 04:26 PM
In the UK, if a seller doesn't want hagglers, he just puts "no offers" in the ad.

Joe From NY
07-20-2019, 10:21 PM
My thing is that if they call and, sight unseen, say “will you take XX bucks?”, I say “since you are making a firm offer, you got a deal, but you have to deposit the funds right now into my paypal account, and I will give you my email address.”

Of course they back down at that point. I say “What happened? I thought you made me an offer.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tungsten dipper
07-21-2019, 08:22 AM
Here's one...
If an item has no price, and the seller says "make me an offer" do you?

Not me! Don't want to insult the buyer, or I might get the item at a lower price than I'm thinking...

Mcgyver
07-21-2019, 09:19 AM
Here's one...

No. I might ignore the request and ask them how much they expect to sell it for. It hints at a time waster when someone initiates (posts the ad) and expects the other party to position first on price. They either don't know what its worth, have expectations so high they're a bit embarrassed to state them or are hoping to play one off against the other.

Sparky_NY
07-21-2019, 11:44 AM
Wife sold it for 50.

She probably got $150 for the 10EE ! LOL Her car is now parked in the garage.

nickel-city-fab
07-21-2019, 11:53 AM
Here's one...

Not me! Don't want to insult the buyer, or I might get the item at a lower price than I'm thinking...

I usually dig thru the loose change in my pocket and offer a random sampling of that.

kendall
07-21-2019, 12:10 PM
No. I might ignore the request and ask them how much they expect to sell it for. It hints at a time waster when someone initiates (posts the ad) and expects the other party to position first on price. They either don't know what its worth, have expectations so high they're a bit embarrassed to state them or are hoping to play one off against the other.

Same here, unless it's something I really need I ignore those ads, if it is something I need, I'll ask what price range they're looking for.

I don't mind people making an offer after looking at whatever I'm selling, or even a reasonable offer after reading the ad.

With other emailed offers, 1/2 asking or so, I have a standard reply that is just a 'since we're telling jokes, here's one:' and includes a joke cut and pasted from somewhere.

The only offers that really tick me off is people who ask you to reduce the price, 'because if I pay that, I can't make a profit',

07-21-2019, 01:19 PM
I think you guys are not realising how effective the phrase , We can end this Conversation Right Here.is...
One guy said no I am actually really interested then we proceeded from there, and we both made a satisfactory dwal.

I ran one guy off from my sisters garage sale, after A few insulting offers, I said , we have nothing here for you, you may as well leave. We will not sell you anything..

07-21-2019, 01:30 PM
Another thing I have most stuff in storage, so if we are meeting there or at the house or anywhere.... you got a half hour window.. unless you call and have a good reason to be late. You don't call I leave... and we are done.
Tell em...? stick to it.. I found in business I can wait and waste too much of my day , waiting for people that cant show on time..

RB211
07-21-2019, 07:41 PM
She probably got $150 for the 10EE ! LOL Her car is now parked in the garage.She would need to sell the surface grinder, the 12x36, a work bench, and the gantry crane if she wanted to park the car. #NeedABiggerShop

PStechPaul
07-21-2019, 07:49 PM
#NeedASmallerCar :rolleyes:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c2/BMW_Isetta_-_Bad_W%C3%B6rishofen_%282015-08-29_3164_b%29.jpg/1024px-BMW_Isetta_-_Bad_W%C3%B6rishofen_%282015-08-29_3164_b%29.jpg

By Lothar Spurzem - Own work, CC BY-SA 2.0 de, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=42742745

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fa/1965_Peel_P50%2C_The_World%27s_Smallest_Car_%28Lan e_Motor_Museum%29.jpg/800px-1965_Peel_P50%2C_The_World%27s_Smallest_Car_%28Lan e_Motor_Museum%29.jpg

By Philip (flip) Kromer from Austin, TX - Philip (flip) Kromer from Austin, TX, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3730437 (https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=42742745)

RB211
07-21-2019, 07:52 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c2/BMW_Isetta_-_Bad_W%C3%B6rishofen_%282015-08-29_3164_b%29.jpg/1024px-BMW_Isetta_-_Bad_W%C3%B6rishofen_%282015-08-29_3164_b%29.jpg

By Lothar Spurzem - Own work, CC BY-SA 2.0 de, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=42742745She could have the worlds smallest car, it ain't going in my shop

Sparky_NY
07-21-2019, 08:18 PM
She would need to sell the surface grinder, the 12x36, a work bench, and the gantry crane if she wanted to park the car. #NeedABiggerShop

HA!! Biggest I have had was a 1-1/2 car garage in Rochester, NY. Then I sold my machines and moved to here in Anderson SC. built a 32x50 pole barn with a 20x20 room in it for machines (climate controlled). The barn was just finished about 3 years ago and its already beginning to get crowded!! More space isn't the answer, it just removes the restrictions on what you can drag home.

RB211
07-21-2019, 08:30 PM
HA!! Biggest I have had was a 1-1/2 car garage in Rochester, NY. Then I sold my machines and moved to here in Anderson SC. built a 32x50 pole barn with a 20x20 room in it for machines (climate controlled). The barn was just finished about 3 years ago and its already beginning to get crowded!! More space isn't the answer, it just removes the restrictions on what you can drag home.Sold one tractor, my JD140 that I was going to restore is getting sold next, it sits right where I want to put the surface grinder. Decided my garage is purely for a machine shop. Even going to get rid of all the vehicle oil change stuff, just going to pay some on else to do it for the sake of freeing up space.

07-21-2019, 09:16 PM
Good man, we were waiting for you to come around.,

wmgeorge
07-21-2019, 09:44 PM
My very favorite email offer is..... I live 25, 50,100 (pick one)miles away and I need to have
it cheaper $ to pay for gas.

07-21-2019, 09:48 PM
To which I reply I will save you the hassle and not sell to you..
What ....you are coming anyway.. too freaking bad.. you sound too much like someone I don't want to deal with.. bye..click

wierdscience
07-21-2019, 11:36 PM
You guys gotta remember,Cl appeals to tight arsed cheapskates looking for a deal.So if you want $50 for an item,list it for $75 and take the first $60 offer.It's the thrill of the hunt and the kill that gets them off,so dress the bait accordingly ;)

vpt
07-22-2019, 08:39 AM
Do you pay full sticker price for vehicles too?

A.K. Boomer
07-22-2019, 08:59 AM

That things cuter then a bugs ear,,, i wonder how fast I could pedal that thing? would be a great grocery getter, maybe make it hybrid pedal/electric

I would like to have one to do stuff with but the fear would not only be getting squished on the road by a big rig (or even a cracker box) but parking it and going inside somewhere while a couple of rednecks load it into the back of their truck and drive off lol

Doozer
07-22-2019, 09:15 AM
I once bought a really large bench vise that someone on Craigslist
was asking $300 for the low price of $150. Before making my lower
offer, I asked if he had anything else for sale. He showed me a few
other items that I was interested in, and he told me his prices on these
items. The deal I struck was that I would purchase these few other items
at his asking price, if I could have the big vise for $150. He said yes and
I got the vise and if I remember, a 7.5hp motor and a motor starter, and
some pry bars, maybe I am forgetting some things. But I made kind of
a package deal by paying his price on those few items, and he worked with
me on the price I wanted to pay on the vise. I think we both walked away
happy.

--Doozer

Glug
07-22-2019, 09:44 AM
My very favorite email offer is..... I live 25, 50,100 (pick one)miles away and I need to have it cheaper $ to pay for gas.

Nothing wrong with asking if the price is firm. Especially if the price is already a bit high and the distance is great. Some questions about condition would be good too. Some people really are trying to hide that the stuff is broken.

This thread reminded me of a nice looking Reed vise in a craigslist yard sale ad. Nice crisp jaws (important because Reed jaws are cast in place). I emailed to ask about the vise price. It was a bit high but not unreasonable for the condition. The drive was significant - a bit over an hour each way. The weather was nice and I was up for the drive. I told the seller I would be driving the distance and would be there first thing in the morning for the vise and not to sell it early.

Later that evening I noticed one of the feet on the swivel was broken. They didn't exactly hide it but it was in the shadows and pixelated. It was also mostly covered by the dynamic jaw support tongue. The original photo was more than 2x tall than wide - almost impossible to see without saving it and zooming in. Attached is the image, cropped. My beef is I kinda think they should have told anyone coming a distance for the vise that the foot was broken - I would have. I would have been pretty irate. The damage meant the price was no longer appropriate. It meant there could be other hidden damage. I emailed the seller again and asked "Is the foot of that vise broken". No response. That was a case where negotiation before the drive was essential.

I am reminded of old school ebay buying advice, back when there was more fear of sellers getting ripped off. It was to always ask the seller at least one question - even better if you know the answer. If they don't answer, or seem shady or deceptive, don't buy. That is solid advice. Who's got time? And with the buyer protection, it isn't as necessary - except for a bunch of wasted time when something is bad.

https://www.use.com/images/s_2/9af533bb0a2c7f509057.jpg

nickel-city-fab
07-22-2019, 09:52 AM
You guys gotta remember,Cl appeals to tight arsed cheapskates looking for a deal.So if you want $50 for an item,list it for $75 and take the first $60 offer.It's the thrill of the hunt and the kill that gets them off,so dress the bait accordingly ;)

Not necessarily true -- I use CraigList in order to buy locally. I don't always have the time or gas money for a weekend in Cleveland.

Glug
07-22-2019, 09:55 AM
but parking it and going inside somewhere while a couple of rednecks load it into the back of their truck and drive off lol

Or worse - you could still be inside when they load it up and drive off.

I stepped out of a college town bar one night and took a moment to watch a young woman try and parallel park. She was in the spot but couldn't seem to get it so a tire was not on the curb. Back and forth she went, always either the front or rear tire up on the curb. There were a few of us in stitches. Finally she stepped out, shrugged the shrug of shame and started to walk away. Some passing guys stepped over while hardly breaking stride, picked up the back of her car, moved it the two feet off the curb, and kept on walking.

RB211
07-22-2019, 10:36 AM
Do you pay full sticker price for vehicles too?This is a truck I test drove, so to answer your question, NO!
No as in no way in hell would I pay this for any vehicle. I've never in my life spent more than 15k on a vehicle.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190722/5d777975e7a1e18251855011005a02e6.jpg

QSIMDO
07-22-2019, 10:55 AM
They're all doing peyote.

nickel-city-fab
07-22-2019, 10:57 AM
This is a truck I test drove, so to answer your question, NO!
No as in no way in hell would I pay this for any vehicle. I've never in my life spent more than 15k on a vehicle.

They are out of their minds bat guano nowdays, On the vehicle prices, I agree. I mostly buy used, from larger corporate dealers. I do OK on the price and get hosed on the interest, usually. There is a special place for GMAC and Chrysler Capital...

A.K. Boomer
07-22-2019, 11:09 AM
Good advice in your Add-Vise post Glug,,, if people clam-up and don't respond to questions it's most likely their trying to hide something...

iv totally noticed a change in attitude over the years with this "information age" and "free advertising"

remember when people had skin in the game? as in having to pay for an add? and how enthused they were to get a call on it and how they would go on and on with details?

now it's like your lucky for them to even respond back... and you have to pry stuff out of them - iv gone as far as getting so frustrated i send an e-mail back saying "look - you have it advertised ---- do you want to sell the damn thing or not?"

Fasttrack
07-22-2019, 11:17 AM
Well this has been an interesting read... I'm surprised at how strongly some folks feel about the subject. I've bought and sold a fair amount on Craigslist and have always been largely ambivalent to the experience. Some folks lowball and I politely tell them no but I don't mind them trying to save some cash. It takes me all of five minutes to respond - sure my time is important but if I can't spare 5 minutes for another human being, well then I tend to think I'm doing something wrong with my life. But I've also never had to deal with the real a@@holes that some of you guys have apparently had to deal with.

Generally speaking, I try to follow Boomer or Corbettprime's strategy. Read the situation and the seller. Sometimes they need the cash more than I do and I'm happy to give the asking price or a little more OR they need the item more than I need the cash and I'll let it go for less. For example, I remodeled a bathroom years ago in Indiana. I had a nice Toto toilet that was almost new and worked great but was the wrong style for the new bathroom so I put it on Craigslist for $25. I got a call within the hour and the buyer was so thrilled to get a new toilet for $25 I ended up just giving it to him for free. It was obvious he was trying to provide for a family on a very tight budget and, as far as I'm concerned, just keeping the fixture out of the landfill was good enough. Other times, the buyer seems like a bit of a sleaze and then I stick it to 'em. Just depends on the situation!

tomato coupe
07-22-2019, 11:19 AM
This is a truck I test drove, so to answer your question, NO!
No as in no way in hell would I pay this for any vehicle. I've never in my life spent more than 15k on a vehicle.

Doesn't this make you a tire kicker?

Fasttrack
07-22-2019, 11:20 AM
now it's like your lucky for them to even respond back... and you have to pry stuff out of them - iv gone as far as getting so frustrated i send an e-mail back saying "look - you have it advertised ---- do you want to sell the damn thing or not?"

You know - this happened to me for the first time a few months ago. A guy was selling a pair of surface grinders on Craigslist. I made an offer, he accepted, and then went radio silent. His post was still up so I contacted him again, re-made my offer and tried to arrange a time to come pick them up but he deferred, saying he'd get back to me with a good time to pick them up. Then radio silence again. Guess he didn't want to sell after all??

RB211
07-22-2019, 11:28 AM
Doesn't this make you a tire kicker?

It makes me not a sucker.

RB211
07-22-2019, 11:32 AM
Doesn't this make you a tire kicker?If they offered a good price to begin with, not some pie in the sky price above MSRP, with the expectations that the customer would try to lower the price to begin with, it's a game I want no part in.
Tire kicker would try to talk them down then walk away. I simply would say that I don't like the price and walk out.

tomato coupe
07-22-2019, 11:38 AM
If they offered a good price to begin with, not some pie in the sky price above MSRP, with the expectations that the customer would try to lower the price to begin with, it's a game I want no part in.
Tire kicker would try to talk them down then walk away. I simply would say that I don't like the price and walk out.

You're test driving a vehicle you have no intention of buying. That's also a type of "tire kicker."

RB211
07-22-2019, 11:42 AM
You're test driving a vehicle you have no intention of buying. That's also a type of "tire kicker."Well, dealerships get what they deserve, the theme of this thread is dealing with private sellers/buyers.
The car salesman is an idiot for refusing to tell me the price before the test drive. Would of saved everyone time.

old mart
07-22-2019, 11:43 AM
Look back at the red and white car in post #53, what is it? Its a BMW!

07-22-2019, 11:48 AM
I am not I the market for a new bike, but I would maybe go on a Demo Days for a tryout.

But go to a dealer, involve a salesman, and test drive if I don't plan to buy... no way..

RB211
07-22-2019, 11:50 AM
I am not I the market for a new bike, but I would maybe go on a Demo Days for a tryout.

But go to a dealer, involve a salesman, and test drive if I don't plan to buy... no way..I was fact finding and I told the salesman that. Also told him that in no way was I going to walk off the lot today with a new car. My wife and I were very up front.

A.K. Boomer
07-22-2019, 11:56 AM
I was fact finding and I told the salesman that. Also told him that in no way was I going to walk off the lot today with a new car. My wife and I were very up front.

I have a bro that used that approach years ago, except he added to the fact that he already owned 17 cars at the time and really was not looking to buy another, he ended up taking a brand new T-bird home at 1/3rd off the sticker price...

so not a bad strategy...

tomato coupe
07-22-2019, 11:57 AM
I was fact finding and I told the salesman that. Also told him that in no way was I going to walk off the lot today with a new car. My wife and I were very up front.

That wasn't being completely honest, since it appears there was no way you were going to walk off the lot with a new car ever.

A.K. Boomer
07-22-2019, 12:14 PM
Strange things can happen IF they are the ones that start the haggeling and drop the price drastically ---- of course any of us would buy a brand new car for half off just to re-sell it...

07-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Fair enough, you explained your intentions.

dalee100
07-22-2019, 12:24 PM
Hi,

If you can't tolerate "tire kickers", you shouldn't sell things. It's a part and parcel of sales, ask any salesperson.

RB211
07-22-2019, 01:33 PM
That wasn't being completely honest, since it appears there was no way you were going to walk off the lot with a new car ever.New car, no, a used one? Maybe...

07-22-2019, 01:36 PM
It's OK it's a game for salesmen...
You say you Will not buy... there is the challenge for them..

RB211
07-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Hi,

If you can't tolerate "tire kickers", you shouldn't sell things. It's a part and parcel of sales, ask any salesperson.I price things below what I could get for them to get rid of them quickly. Just sold my JD285 tractor for 300$ to a guy that offered 250. Wife got him to pay the 300. Unlike most of you, I live two separate lives that are seperated by two week intervals, I need things to happen on a set schedule.

nickel-city-fab
07-22-2019, 01:58 PM
I price things below what I could get for them to get rid of them quickly. Just sold my JD285 tractor for 300$ to a guy that offered 250. Wife got him to pay the 300. Unlike most of you, I live two separate lives that are seperated by two week intervals, I need things to happen on a set schedule.

THIS. I'm in a similar situation, my time at home is extremely limited, so I price most things at far below the local average... This is why hagglers are so annoying-- they are already getting a great deal, so they should not be greedy and waste my time.

RB211
07-22-2019, 02:01 PM
THIS. I'm in a similar situation, my time at home is extremely limited, so I price most things at far below the local average... This is why hagglers are so annoying-- they are already getting a great deal, so they should not be greedy and waste my time.Bingo!!!!

PStechPaul
07-22-2019, 02:59 PM
"One [sales pitch] for the angels"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSfe0u03jE8

thaiguzzi
07-23-2019, 12:33 AM
Well this has been an interesting read... I'm surprised at how strongly some folks feel about the subject. I've bought and sold a fair amount on Craigslist and have always been largely ambivalent to the experience. Some folks lowball and I politely tell them no but I don't mind them trying to save some cash. It takes me all of five minutes to respond - sure my time is important but if I can't spare 5 minutes for another human being, well then I tend to think I'm doing something wrong with my life. But I've also never had to deal with the real a@@holes that some of you guys have apparently had to deal with.

Generally speaking, I try to follow Boomer or Corbettprime's strategy. Read the situation and the seller. Sometimes they need the cash more than I do and I'm happy to give the asking price or a little more OR they need the item more than I need the cash and I'll let it go for less. For example, I remodeled a bathroom years ago in Indiana. I had a nice Toto toilet that was almost new and worked great but was the wrong style for the new bathroom so I put it on Craigslist for $25. I got a call within the hour and the buyer was so thrilled to get a new toilet for $25 I ended up just giving it to him for free. It was obvious he was trying to provide for a family on a very tight budget and, as far as I'm concerned, just keeping the fixture out of the landfill was good enough. Other times, the buyer seems like a bit of a sleaze and then I stick it to 'em. Just depends on the situation!

+1.
Very well said.

vpt
07-23-2019, 07:58 AM
THIS. I'm in a similar situation, my time at home is extremely limited, so I price most things at far below the local average... This is why hagglers are so annoying-- they are already getting a great deal, so they should not be greedy and waste my time.

Bingo!!!!

Putting that statement in your for sale adds should weed out the tire kickers.

A.K. Boomer
07-23-2019, 08:24 AM

True, but be sure to leave the bride with a backhoe so you can be buried with all your crap after you kack,,,

just like buyers can be annoying so can a seller - there's nothing worse than a seller who comes across all anal about stuff right in the add itself -- your like "wow think i'll pass cuz this guys got some issue's right in the add itself --- im sure it's going to just escalate in person" lol

RB211
07-23-2019, 08:45 AM
True, but be sure to leave the bride with a backhoe so you can be buried with all your crap after you kack,,,

just like buyers can be annoying so can a seller - there's nothing worse than a seller who comes across all anal about stuff right in the add itself -- your like "wow think i'll pass cuz this guys got some issue's right in the add itself --- im sure it's going to just escalate in person" lol

Imagine if they uncovered another Egyptian tomb and it had a Monarch 10EE in it?

Mcgyver
07-23-2019, 08:53 AM

people do not read the ads, maybe 1 or2% do. Its an easy social experiment, put something up with simple and specific way of contacting you, like "for a response please email directly at Joe at live dot com" . Wait and see how many emails Joe gets.

You can talk about your terms and conditions until the cows come home and very few will even notice let alone follow it.

wmgeorge
07-23-2019, 09:15 AM
people do not read the ads, maybe 1 or2% do. Its an easy social experiment, put something up with simple and specific way of contacting you, like "for a response please email directly at Joe at live dot com" . Wait and see how many emails Joe gets.

You can talk about your terms and conditions until the cows come home and very few will even notice let alone follow it.

Its fun to see how many people put No Emails in their ad yet list a phone number!! I'm sure its posted all over the internet and you will get phone calls from Nigeria with a scam. Why not use Craigslist email? When they respond with a Call me I reply with a email. Only after I make sure they are legit do they get my real email or phone number.

It takes a certain amount of IQ to compose an email, any idiot can call..... and they do.

Edwin Dirnbeck
07-23-2019, 10:08 AM
I have been buying and selling equipment all my life.I can count on my fingers ,the times that I took something home and didn't find hidden problem that I didn't see. Either it was cleverly concealed or I just didn't see it .EITHER WAY,I AM ON THE HOOK. Most of us that can fix things (myself included) are our worst enemies .I buy things cheap? fix them and make a tidy profit,or so I tell myself until I do the math.IF,I was doing this full time to earn my livelihood,I would need to charge $150 per hour to pay for all of my tools and equipment and overhead.Dont forget,for every hour that that you spend working on something ,you must spend time buying and selling and getting parts ect.But getting back to the original post,wheever I buy something,I politely ask the seller,if their price is firm or will they take an offer.I think this is perfectly acceptable.For the record,when I sell I am NEVEROFENDED ,if SOMEONE MAKES ME AN OFFER.I St Louis area,there is a big company charging money,to haul away your (junk).Edwin Dirnbeck

nickel-city-fab
07-23-2019, 10:34 AM

This is true, sadly. People don't read, period. (Full stop) EDIT to add, when I list something for sale, the ad ALWAYS says "firm".... And yet they still try....

Mcgyver
07-23-2019, 10:40 AM
I have been buying and selling equipment all my life.I can count on my fingers ,the times that I took something home and didn't find hidden problem that I didn't see. Either it was cleverly concealed or I just didn't see it .EITHER WAY,I AM ON THE HOOK. Most of us that can fix things (myself included) are our worst enemies .I buy things cheap? fix them and make a tidy profit,or so I tell myself

we suffer the same infliction. I've made missing parts, fixed broken ones and reconditioned countless machine tools in an evening...in my head.

07-23-2019, 11:56 AM
The worst is The caller that is at the bar.
Caller, I would like to look at the Kawasaki wheels.
Sure when ? This afternoon ? great I am in.
I give him the address, and say go down the alley to the back of the building, there is a shed, use the door on the shed to get in
Caller with mucho background noise.. the what ?
I say the Shed.. what ? I SAY THE SHED.. The S H E D., by now I am raising my voice a lot.
Caller doesn't get it.. So I say , go to address to back of building m enter through the shed.. I am getting annoyed..
He never got there....... I wonder how many sheds he went to, or maybe he saw the place and got scared, or I don't know..
Lol.. I just remember yelling, the Shed enter thru the shed.
Many found their way there but not him.. maybe still at the bar...

projectnut
07-23-2019, 12:39 PM
Before you get insulted as to the price being offered by a buyer make sure you know the actual value of the item being sold. Not long ago I tried to buy some power hacksaw blades from a vendor on eBay. Before doing so I researched the brand and sizes he was selling. Many Industrial suppliers were selling the same blades at $5.00 per unit. The seller was asking $12.00 or best offer.

I offered $5.00 per unit and got a flaming response from the seller saying my offer was insulting. Obviously he had either over paid for the blades he bought, or had no idea of what they actually sold for. I responded to his flame with links to the exact same units being sold by 3 industrial suppliers for $5.00 per unit. He continued his flame saying the suppliers were scamming the public with bogus offers. Needless to say I bought the blades (50) from a reputable supplier. Since I had met the minimum dollar amount for free shipping that was also included.

PStechPaul
07-23-2019, 04:46 PM
It can be risky giving buyers or sellers your home location for meeting. There have been some bad experiences where people us CL or FB Marketplace to "case the joint" and later engage in burglary or worse. Much better (if possible) is to meet at a public place for the transaction. Of course, this may pose an inconvenience if the interested party does not show up.

FB Marketplace may be a little safer because you can check the profile of the buyer or seller to see if they have legitimate friends and a long enough history without much weirdness.

anddsn
07-23-2019, 04:59 PM
I buy from Craigslist all the time. Many time when I see an item in person it may have problems that are not in the description.At that point if I am still interested I will bargain. If a seller feels insulted then he should have posted " price is firm". This will keep both parties from wasting each other's time. Craigslist is like a yard sale,or flea market " open for negotiations.

wmgeorge
07-24-2019, 08:51 AM
It can be risky giving buyers or sellers your home location for meeting. There have been some bad experiences where people us CL or FB Marketplace to "case the joint" and later engage in burglary or worse. Much better (if possible) is to meet at a public place for the transaction. Of course, this may pose an inconvenience if the interested party does not show up.

FB Marketplace may be a little safer because you can check the profile of the buyer or seller to see if they have legitimate friends and a long enough history without much weirdness.
Ditto, never at your Home and never ever, ever inside your Home. Unless its something I can not move or drive I meet someplace I pick perhaps local police station parking lot, Never at Night, never.

Mcgyver
07-24-2019, 09:00 AM
Ditto, never at your Home and never ever, ever inside your Home. Unless its something I can not move or drive I meet someplace I pick perhaps local police station parking lot, Never at Night, never.

wow. I would never run around to meet people. Mind you, I suppose selling the odd micrometer attracts a different type than the average consumer product. I do not invite someone over though unless I have contact info and they've be polite in conversation. Whats the paranoia, someone is going to conk you over the head to run off with a $30 micrometer?

A.K. Boomer
07-24-2019, 09:11 AM
Im with you on that but do understand the other's concerns and playing it safe - it's a crazy day and age,

last two things iv sold from CL the people came over - not inside the house, but in the garage, i do not have them come over unless it's been a phone conversation and I can get a read on them, sold a Mt. Bike to a great guy and tosses in some extra's - sold a genset to a very cool couple living off the grid,
there was a guy who looked at the mt. bike before the other guy bought it that gave me some concern though, him and his gf showed up and he wanted to test ride it - I did let him since the gf was staying with me and they had their vehicle i thought ahh what the heck but it made me nervous - he shot a low ball offer when he got back and that was that but it gave me concern enough to hang onto his contact info and i also had the license plate # written down,

it's probably best not to take a chance but i do not sell allot of stuff and im pretty good at reading people over the phone...

metalmagpie
07-24-2019, 09:25 AM
The worst is The caller that is at the bar.
Caller, I would like to look at the Kawasaki wheels.
Sure when ? This afternoon ? great I am in.
I give him the address, and say go down the alley to the back of the building, there is a shed, use the door on the shed to get in
Caller with mucho background noise.. the what ?
I say the Shed.. what ? I SAY THE SHED.. The S H E D., by now I am raising my voice a lot.
Caller doesn't get it.. So I say , go to address to back of building m enter through the shed.. I am getting annoyed..
He never got there....... I wonder how many sheds he went to, or maybe he saw the place and got scared, or I don't know..
Lol.. I just remember yelling, the Shed enter thru the shed.
Many found their way there but not him.. maybe still at the bar...

If someone doesn't understand a word you are saying, are you in the habit of saying it again louder? How's that workin' fer ya?

Mcgyver
07-24-2019, 09:35 AM
I don't go through life paranoid, but careful. Applying logic, someone selling a use micrometer would seem a lousy mark....if there's any risk its as a buyer with a pocket full of cash. If you're a crook you're wanting to steal used micrometers you're playing the sell side tempting someone with cash into your trap. When buying, I would only go to someones house and would take a pass on meeting in public, people that give out their address are hardly going to mug you. Apartments can be creepy, only done that a couple of times for small dollars.

Only once has someone requested a public meet, he was a shaky old man who was scared so I figured his psychology demanded a public meet. Ended going to his place after he realized I was a normal human (managed to pull that off lol). He had a bunch of clock tools and I ended up convincing he should keep them, its what he loved to do, wasn't even sure why he put them up for sale. Wife actually thanked me on the way out.

metalmagpie
07-24-2019, 09:40 AM
I have bought and sold stuff all my life. Today I average 4 or 5 CL ads going at any time. I have seen a lot of bargaining shenanigans. While I don't often cave in to lowballers, I respect their right to make any offer they like. Most often the stuff I sell is nice, and it's usually expensive. Lots of times people call to ask if I'd take less because they find the item compelling but just don't have the money. It's all good. I do get a kick out of people saying "what's your best price?". It happens so often that I have a ready answer. "I think $850 is a great price!" followed by repeating what makes the item worth what it is.

I also often price something about 10% over what I really want, just so I can drop down and let the buyer think he got a good deal out of me. At the same time, when I'm buying something, I will often offer a low price just to get the seller to counter with a number that is much closer to his real number.

Another thing I've found is that if I write an ad and get no responses for a long time, I often go back and edit the ad and take out details, make it sound like it was written by someone dumber. I have no idea why, but this often works well.

Occasionally I will request that the seller meet me at a supermarket or somewhere. When I do that it's because I don't want them coming back to me and complaining about the item later. I almost always put my phone number in the ad and it has not resulted in spam. I give out my real address to buyers and meet them and occasionally give them a shop tour. I met some of my good friends trading on CL. If I don't get a good feeling about someone, I'll have the item out at the foot of the driveway and do the deal out there so they can't see inside my shop at all. But I don't live in meth country and I'm not selling the kind of things ("rims"?) that crooks like, so I don't get burned.

OTOH I never ever put something out in my driveway with a free sign. People will take the item, the sign, and anything else they can manhandle. I put the item out on the corner with a free sign. It's amazing how well that works. Complete crap completely gone.

metalmagpie

lynnl
07-24-2019, 10:02 AM
Occasionally I will request that the seller meet me at a supermarket or somewhere. When I do that it's because I don't want them coming back to me and complaining about the item later.

That doesn't make sense. You're meeting the seller at a neutral site because you don't want them coming back and complaining about the item later. Why would a seller complain?

I'm guessing you mean "buyer." But this comment sort of implies you're selling merchandise likely to cause "buyer's remorse" after the sale. Sounds kinda shady to me.:)

Tom S
07-24-2019, 10:23 AM
wow. I would never run around to meet people. Mind you, I suppose selling the odd micrometer attracts a different type than the average consumer product. I do not invite someone over though unless I have contact info and they've be polite in conversation. Whats the paranoia, someone is going to conk you over the head to run off with a $30 micrometer?

Problem is, you never know who is going to come walking down your drive. Friend of a friend lost his life about 6 years ago during a test drive of a truck he was selling. Even with what felt like the whole area mobilized and looking for this truck it took over a week to find him and the truck. You might even remember that case, the killer was also found guilty with 2 other murders when the police started digging.

That being said, I will often meet with people at my house. Sometimes and object is to large or bulky to move, sometimes it not worth it. But if the buyer is acting cagey or asking for weird things before even showing up I'm going to meet with them elsewhere or cancel the sale. That is one point where Facebook Marketplace has an edge over Kijiji or other classified sites - you've got a face and profile attached to the sale. Kijiji uses some sort of proxy email server, but that means I don't have any sort of information in the event something goes sideways. And it lets people hide behind anonymity, I've had lots of people not show up from Kijiji but not one issue with that from Facebook Marketplace.

Willy
07-24-2019, 10:27 AM
Although I know that Lynnl's remark was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I think we all know what metalmagpie is referring to because most of us have been there as well, one of the reasons I don't sell much. At least that's what I tell the wife.:)

Some guys will complain about anything, you can actually give the item away and they'll complain about having to drive down to pick it up, and the cost involved to them for the whole transaction.

Another point I make when strangers have come to my door to pick up an item for sale is that I do the transaction in the driveway, not in my shop.

Mcgyver
07-24-2019, 01:26 PM
Problem is, you never know who is going to come walking down your drive. Friend of a friend lost his life about 6 years ago during a test drive of a truck he was selling. .

sure, but it was so exceptional it was national news for the season. Some other lunatic hacked the head off some on a bus.....are we to stay away from buses as well? Theses are sort of the random risk on being on the planet and don't really reflect the risk of buses or classifieds (with some common sense)

I'm not suggestion you show up at an underground parking garage at Jane and Finch with $1000's to buy a box of new laptops at 1 a.m....but someone coming to buy a 1" micrometer when you have their contact info, close to zero risk. Going to someone's house to buy, provided in a decent area etc, about zero risk.

A.K. Boomer
07-24-2019, 01:47 PM
Problem is, you never know who is going to come walking down your drive. Friend of a friend lost his life about 6 years ago during a test drive of a truck he was selling. Even with what felt like the whole area mobilized and looking for this truck it took over a week to find him and the truck. You might even remember that case, the killer was also found guilty with 2 other murders when the police started digging.

That being said, I will often meet with people at my house. Sometimes and object is to large or bulky to move, sometimes it not worth it. But if the buyer is acting cagey or asking for weird things before even showing up I'm going to meet with them elsewhere or cancel the sale. That is one point where Facebook Marketplace has an edge over Kijiji or other classified sites - you've got a face and profile attached to the sale. Kijiji uses some sort of proxy email server, but that means I don't have any sort of information in the event something goes sideways. And it lets people hide behind anonymity, I've had lots of people not show up from Kijiji but not one issue with that from Facebook Marketplace.

I was watching the news last night about that young couple that got killed up in your neck-o-the woods recently and the two teens on the run,,, it's really sad to think about just makes you wish you could have a crystal ball and show up ahead of time to not only prevent things but kick some a$$

You can run into crazy people anywhere, i do not discriminate against people being born people - no matter the color or whatever but have to admit tons of "ink" and piercings to the point of mutilation is a red flag, i guess we all have our "preferences" take things a step further and i would think most would agree if there's actual "wording" on someones face or forehead that's really strange, who does that? still not worried? what about something like the words "kill all" written on someones forehead? so you run an add and then open the door and see that? again we all have our limits don't we?

07-24-2019, 02:14 PM
The folks I worry about most.. the clean cut normal looking pshycopaths.. .. you never know..
Conversely people that think because I have a big beard and long hair they should he afraid.. are missing out because if you treat people like people, then it starts to sort out quickly..

projectnut
07-24-2019, 02:14 PM
Although I know that Lynnl's remark was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I think we all know what metalmagpie is referring to because most of us have been there as well, one of the reasons I don't sell much. At least that's what I tell the wife.:)

Some guys will complain about anything, you can actually give the item away and they'll complain about having to drive down to pick it up, and the cost involved to them for the whole transaction.

Another point I make when strangers have come to my door to pick up an item for sale is that I do the transaction in the driveway, not in my shop.

Sorta reminds me of some of the American Pickers episodes. They try to negotiate a lower price by telling the seller they'll have to pay $XXX.XX to get the item shipped to Iowa. Personally I don't care how much it costs to ship or haul it anywhere. If the asking price for an item is within the normal range it's up to the buyer to decide whether they want it or not. I would never discount a price because the buyer wants to ship it someplace. If they could have purchased the same item for the same or lower price in their area they would have done so. They're only traveling the greater distance to purchase it from me because they either can't find it locally, or the local sellers want substantially more for the same item.

vpt
07-24-2019, 08:12 PM
I just got a message from a guy with nearly a typical scam "Will send cashiers check with extra money and get it later" kind of deals. But this guy says he'll pick it up in person and not till the end of next month (says he is out of town till then).

The bank should know if a cashiers check is fraudulent or not within a month yes? Then he says he would be picking it up himself.

I mean it plays off as a scam but a whole month wait and pick it up in person?

mattthegamer463
07-24-2019, 10:41 PM

That being said, I will often meet with people at my house. Sometimes and object is to large or bulky to move, sometimes it not worth it. But if the buyer is acting cagey or asking for weird things before even showing up I'm going to meet with them elsewhere or cancel the sale. That is one point where Facebook Marketplace has an edge over Kijiji or other classified sites - you've got a face and profile attached to the sale. Kijiji uses some sort of proxy email server, but that means I don't have any sort of information in the event something goes sideways. And it lets people hide behind anonymity, I've had lots of people not show up from Kijiji but not one issue with that from Facebook Marketplace.I used to deliver papers to the house the killer lived in in Oakville, when I was a kid. Lived around the corner from him. I think they said he had lived there long enough it was likely he lived there at the time.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

RB211
07-25-2019, 03:02 AM
These fears are based on hysteria, not reality. When I was a kid, we lived on top of a hill, about 1000 ft away from the road, surrounded by woods. Only time I ever felt "cased", it was blatantly obvious. Lived in an extremely homogeneous town in Fairfield county, CT. 3phase could of been my neighbor and had fit in 100% with his toys. Un announced, a group of five to seven people who didn't fit in only holding a paper towel and a small bottle of windex asked if we needed our windows cleaned, while their eyes were dotting all over the place. If I remember correctly, think we called the police for suspicious activity. This is a town where nobody ever locked their doors.