View Full Version : OT? Flying Sub

Paul Alciatore
07-24-2019, 01:56 AM
Flying sub:

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/drone-flies-swims-gif-74068#post138307

Fascinating!

vpt
07-24-2019, 08:37 AM
And bad guys are starting to finally figure out you can arm them.

Flying sub bombs.

Or just any old gun strapped to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8igjcW39T4k

J Tiers
07-24-2019, 10:26 AM
Optimist.....

Ammo weighs quite a bit..... actual guns also.

Takes a fair sized drone to carry much ammo, although a gun could be lightened up enough to probably be carried by a fairly big drone.

But there are much more practical ways, which reduce the need to aim well.

Sorry folks, no free ideas for this topic......

A.K. Boomer
07-24-2019, 10:34 AM
Ehhh not exactly - plastic explosives are a huge bang for the lb. and if amazon is considering carrying packages then you can bet your sweet bippies that's a huge payload of explosives,,,

also keep in mind were talking about subs here - so get it to it's destination and maybe pay the fiddler in battery drainage doing it but as soon at it hits the water the weight becomes "null and void"

BCRider
07-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Big drones are already out there and easily obtained. We just don't often see them in popular ads. About five years ago a video on YT was quite popular showing two such drones being used to lift up a guy's girl friend.

J Tiers
07-24-2019, 04:16 PM
Just remember that a WW2 aircraft might only mount 4 light caliber MGs. So there are some limits... payload, range, speed, that sort of detail.

But a gun is clearly not the ideal weapon for such a device.

As for "subs".... I believe the "sub"ject actually was "FLYING subs", which puts a bit of a different slant to it.

Y'all just went on a list, you know...... so someone will likely be speaking with you soon......

A.K. Boomer
07-24-2019, 04:26 PM
lol - only list we went on is "people who are aware and don't bury their heads in the sand" list lol

which would mean you went on a list yourself, quite the other end of the spectrum...

J Tiers
07-24-2019, 04:47 PM
lol - only list we went on is "people who are aware and don't bury their heads in the sand" list lol

which would mean you went on a list yourself, quite the other end of the spectrum...

You never know... I might have PUT YOU onto the list, and arranged for the visit... Only it isn't the list you think.....

RB211
07-24-2019, 05:10 PM
I use an Ardupilot on one of my drones and a fixed wing airplane. The capabilities of the autopilot are amazing. They have firmware for all types of multi-rotors, fixed wings, VTOL, helicopters, ground vehicles, and ROV's.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

A.K. Boomer
07-24-2019, 06:04 PM
You never know... I might have PUT YOU onto the list, and arranged for the visit... Only it isn't the list you think.....

I don't think you can threaten people with putting them on lists,,, in fact i think you can be put on a list for that type of behavior... but that's not a threat it's just an observation.

Michael Edwards
07-24-2019, 07:25 PM
Only it isn't the list you think.....

Is it this list?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7TdoGj0XJI

J Tiers
07-24-2019, 10:43 PM
I don't think you can threaten people with putting them on lists,,, in fact i think you can be put on a list for that type of behavior... but that's not a threat it's just an observation.

Ah... well, I don't issue threats. If you see me holding a weapon, it is in use, otherwise you don't see it.

I'm messin with you here.... I figure talk of weapons on drones is probably something that draws the attention of folks who have zero sense of humor.

In fact, it may draw unwanted attention to the forum and is "sub-optimal" as a plan.

darryl
07-25-2019, 12:33 AM
I primarily see the drone as an optical device, a camera ship. The latest and greatest for me would be the 'video/studio' ship, full camera control with active lighting, zoom, low light performance, maybe some infrared capability, the whole ball of wax basically. It would have modern autonomous capabilities so you wouldn't have to 'fly' the ship so intensely- giving you time to run the camera. I wasn't able to view the full video presented here because if the intensive 'ad attack', so I didn't get to see the sub part - I presume that at least some part of this craft can operate submerged? It's been my idea for some years that an RC craft could land on water, then the camera portion could submerge and articulate from that floating platform. Energy efficient, with a top-class camera and pointing system. Airborne, roll on land, float on water.